Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ubisoft is the new, more successful version of Bethesda

The thing that seems really obvious from the other thread about how long it takes studios to release games is that Ubisoft has become the successful and logical version of Bethesda. Think about it.

Bethesda has always struggled at creating anything of high quality. Their systems have always been crap, so has their writing (other than some parts of Morrowind), so have their NPCs, world design, character development, combat, graphics, etc. But what they have always excelled at was creating quantity. Their worlds are massive and filled with all kinds of crap.

Well now, Ubisoft, who is also into quantity over quality, has perfected this formula. Their recent games like Odyssey blow Bethesda stuff out of the water. They are also fairly shallow (MMO-type quests, dull writing, theme-park world design, etc), but unlike Bethesda, they have perfected the quantity stuff. The graphics are beautiful, the production values are top notch, the content is crammed to the brim. Even some systems are decent, like combat, or fun, like naval fighting. None of these games will touch you in a deep place, but as far as fun shallow entertainment goes, this is WAAAY better than Bethesda.

Ubisoft has a lot more money and talent to throw at these, and it shows. To cover up the lack of any in-depth stuff, there is constant action. While you are wandering around in the wild from one Dragaur to the next in Skyrim, in Odyssey you are taking out one Fort, while fighting off 2 mercenaries who came to collect a bounty on you, while participating in the war between Athens and Sparta, while combating pirates ship to ship to get there. This is what good shallow gaming looks like.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pretty sure Bethesda's big games sell damn well, so what you're saying is "I like Ubisoft's singleplayer shit more than Bethesda's singleplayer shit, personally." Thank you for this stunning update.

Not exactly. I am saying that if you are ok with playing shallow stuff (kind of like it's ok to eat fast food sometimes or watch a mindless action movie), then Ubisoft is much better at it now than Bethesda.

Martyr

Arcane
I've played 53 minutes of AC: Odyssey before refunding it. I think I spent roughly 40 of those 53 minutes watching badly written dialogue cutscenes and the other 13 minutes were spent chasing quest symbols which can't be turned off.
in general, Bethesda games give you more freedom and you don't have to endure pseudo-cinematic presentation. and Daggerfall still renders Mw/Obv/Sky and the Ass Creed's obsolete.

Martyr

Arcane

wow.
actually this video is representative of the whole game.
disgusting looks & facial animations, dumb humor, annoying accents and all this wrapped together in a shitty cutscene. bet they had quest markers over their heads, too.

Still better than Dark Elf models in Morrowind, or the NPCs with pots on their head in Skyrim. Or Radiant AI TM.

Glaucon

Prophet
Sure, but they're a bit too shallow with the rpg elements that people still enjoy in elder scrolls games.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

wow.
disgusting looks & facial animations, dumb humor, annoying accents and all this wrapped together in a shitty cutscene. bet they had quest markers over their heads, too.

There is worse

Look at this. The FOV, the bad lighting, the awful animations, it really looks amateur.

I really don't understand how is this piece of garbage so highly praised.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

wow.

The game in which they made everybody Nigger or le 56% despite the same game showing Greek Temples full of statutes painted as fair skinned people with blue eyes and blondish and reddish heads. Don't know who trolls who there Comrade.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The game in which they made everybody Nigger or le 56% despite the same game showing Greek Temples full of statutes painted as fair skinned people with blue eyes and blondish and reddish heads. Don't know who trolls who there Comrade.

Maybe if we pretend hard enough that white people never existed we will create a temporal anomaly and everyone will spontaneously turn into brown people, and we can finally be forgiven our sins of being born as EVUL WHITIES.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Both Ass Creed games and Bethesda's games are just truly awful. I am all for some mindless action sometimes, but at least do a good job of it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Location design, visuals and the engine used by Ubisoft for the last two AC games are miles above whatever Bethesda has. Gamebryo is really showing its age, but there is no excuse for the town and dungeon design they employ.

Action combat is also much better in AC, thanks to focus on tpp, not fpp, which allows for more manuevers and makes fights more dynamic and not just about spamming left mouse button. Fun mechanics like ship combat simply has no equivalent in Bethesda games.

Level scaling is also less irritating (and you can turn it off/tone it down).

What Bethesda still does better (but dumbs down with each game) is: character creation and customization options, quest design (not everything is kill kill kill fetch fetch fetch), plus the magic is less retarded than the pseudomagical powers of the First Civilization artifacts. Also, crafting, if one likes such mechanics.

Both companies create dumbed down rpgs for the masses, however Ubisoft at least tries to add more elements between games (bigger skill trees, armor selection, ship upgrades, dialogue options, ffs), while Bethesda streamlines and stupifies each installment of their franchises.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
There is worse

Look at this. The FOV, the bad lighting, the awful animations, it really looks amateur.

From what I've gathered cutscene animations for Kassandra look wonky because she's just re-using Alexios' animation set or something.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F10%2Fodyssey.jpg

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bethesda games used to push the boundaries of what was possible in pc gaming. Daggerfall, Morrowind, hell, even Oblivion were revolutionary in terms of technology and visual presentation. Now where has all the ambition gone?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
There is worse

From what I've gathered cutscene animations for Kassandra look wonky because she's just re-using Alexios' animation set or something.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F10%2Fodyssey.jpg

Partly, but I think it's because they used the algorithm for the dialogues without going back and fixing them by hands. The same mistake Ubisoft made with Andromeda.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Always gets a chuckle from me to see graphics whores on a forum that largely believes the best games came out in the 80s or 90s. Odyssey looks great, better than I ever needed games to look. Fuck, Fallout 4 looks great and better than I ever needed games to look. The issues are in the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom