Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultima IV free on GoG

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Peter, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Peter Arcane

Peter
    Parrots:
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_4

A good chance for newfags like me to finally try this thing out.

^ Top  
  2. Bruticis Guest

Bruticis
    Fixed it for you.

^ Top  
  3. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Parrots:
    It's been free for fucking ages. Why are people incapable of setting up DOSBox?

^ Top  
  4. Peter Arcane

Peter
    Parrots:
    Never really looked for it.

^ Top  
  5. Daemongar Arcane

Daemongar
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire BattleTech
    Fixed!

^ Top  
  6. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Parrots:
    The DOS version with the upgrade patch is better.

^ Top  
  7. MapMan Arcane

MapMan
    Parrots:
    Fucking :decline: Games used to be like a delicacy that only few people could afford. Now? It's fucking free for everyone, that's why we get one popamole shit after another.

^ Top  
  8. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    :lol:

^ Top  
  9. Ruprekt Scholar

Ruprekt
    Parrots:
    Well that is kinda true. The price of a 486 PC 1992 would be at least $3000 dollars in today's money.

^ Top  
  10. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Fixed again.

For a puritan experience, I'd use xu4 with music and old graphics. Superior DOS graphics + superior Apple music = awesome.

Though I have to admit I like the new tileset in the upgrade patch, but the stylized renderings when you get a partial avatarhood were a bit annoying; I much prefer the pure single-run on a black background in the original.

It was close enough to $3000 at the time (if you were getting a proper high-end PC: DX with decent clock speed, 16Mb RAM, a good graphic card like that awesome Diamond I used to drool at when seeing what resolutions it could do in 3DS), so it'll be even more in today's money.

^ Top  
  11. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Parrots:
    Does xu4 change the dungeon graphics? The upgrade patch doesn't, but I know for sure that if you use the upgrade patch in combination with xu4 the dungeon graphics are also changed.

Also, you can get the superior music from xu4 into standard Ultima IV with the upgrade patch by using this small utility on the website of the upgrade patch. It lets you choose your own midi files to insert into the game.

^ Top  
  12. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    The music from xu4 and the upgrade patch are the same. I meant that with xu4 you can have music with original graphics, whereas with patch you end up upgrading both and have therefore to use the new graphics (unless the utility you mentioned allows upgrading music-only, but that wasn't around the last time I played U4)

^ Top  
  13. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Parrots:
    I understand that. I prefer the upgraded graphics, though. But you are wrong about xu4 and the upgrade patch having the same music. They don't. Go compare them. The upgrade patch has terrible quality music in comparison to xu4. This utility allows you to specify a midi file for each of the 10 "songs" played during the game. You can use it to add the xu4 midi files to an upgrade patched Ultima IV to replace the default poor quality ones. Of course, you may as well just play xu4 with the upgrade patch if you want the high quality xu4 music and "improved" graphics.

^ Top  
  14. someone else Arcane

someone else
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lolololol wat kind of dumb graphics is this?

^ Top  
  15. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Parrots:
    Fixed :smug:

I miss the times you had to be in the know and have special contacts to get new games. If you had lots of games, everyone wanted to be your friend. Now, it's free for all with those stupid torrents :(

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's more like it was hard to use. Text-only interface without affordance? Intelligent patient person only.

DA 2? OC retard only.

^ Top  
  17. dragonbait Savant

dragonbait
    Parrots:
    In 1985, its not too shabby. Actually, it's pretty smart, and still playable today. :D

^ Top  
  18. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    ^ Top  
  19. robbio Novice

robbio
    Parrots:
    Sega Master System version on Fusion 3.64

Hi guys, just been playing Ultima IV on the master system emulator and I've got a bit stuck, just wondering if anyone can help me or has had this problem before. I'm an 8 part avatar, I have most of the special items and I'm just trying to get the white stone from the top of the serpents spine mountain. coordinates F'A" E' A" all the walkthroughs say it's supposed to be there but it just isn't, I've tried searching at full moon and new moon and it just isn't there, which is really annoying. Anyone encountered this problem? Is there something I haven't done? I've followed all the clue threads of people talking about the stone but it just ain't there!

Any help would be much appreciated

^ Top  
  20. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    ^ Top  
  21. Apollion Scholar

Apollion
    Parrots:
    Could care less about how it looks, but if you want the version easiest to play, go for the genesis/master system port. Its pretty faithful to the original and you can use an emulators frame skip function to fast forward through the awful monotonous combat portions. Fantastic series, but they never got combat right.

^ Top  
  22. made Arcane

made
    Parrots:
    Not like you have to use the blurry nextgen filters. Nfc why Jaesun loves them so much.
    There's also some new tilesets in the works for XU4 (all of them colorful though, sad to say):

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  23. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    Looks like today's roguelikes, and not even those more advanced. Sometimes I wonder if they were even trying back then...

^ Top  
  24. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Magister

MMXI
    Parrots:
    The more detailed tiles are, the worse they look. Probably some sort of uncanny valley effect. Just look at that screenshot above. Look at those trees. They fucking suck way more than the original.

^ Top  
  25. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Maybe because the tile they use for trees is just a blurry mess and probably placeholder, just compare it to the rocks...

Back then they were limited by the resolution and color depth, there's only so much detail you can have on 320x200 with 16 colors, heh.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)