Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima IV free on GoG

Bruticis

Peter said:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_4

A good chance for newfags like me to finally look at it on my virtual GOG shelf.

Fixed it for you.

MMXI

Arcane
It's been free for fucking ages. Why are people incapable of setting up DOSBox?

Peter

Arcane
MMXI said:
It's been free for fucking ages. Why are people incapable of setting up DOSBox?

Never really looked for it.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
MMXI said:
It's been free for fucking ages. Why are people incapable of setting up a Commodore 64 Emulator so they can play this game the way God meant this game to be played?

Fixed!

MMXI

Arcane
The DOS version with the upgrade patch is better.

MapMan

Arcane
Fucking :decline: Games used to be like a delicacy that only few people could afford. Now? It's fucking free for everyone, that's why we get one popamole shit after another.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
MapMan said:
Fucking :decline: Games used to be like a delicacy that only few people could afford. Now? It's fucking free for everyone, that's why we get one popamole shit after another.
:lol:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Bruticis said:
Peter said:
A good chance for oldfags like me to finally look at it on my virtual GOG shelf.
Fixed again.

MMXI said:
The DOS version with the upgrade patch is better.
For a puritan experience, I'd use xu4 with music and old graphics. Superior DOS graphics + superior Apple music = awesome.

Though I have to admit I like the new tileset in the upgrade patch, but the stylized renderings when you get a partial avatarhood were a bit annoying; I much prefer the pure single-run on a black background in the original.

Ruprekt said:
Well that is kinda true. The price of a 486 PC 1992 would be at least $3000 dollars in today's money.
It was close enough to $3000 at the time (if you were getting a proper high-end PC: DX with decent clock speed, 16Mb RAM, a good graphic card like that awesome Diamond I used to drool at when seeing what resolutions it could do in 3DS), so it'll be even more in today's money.

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
For a puritan experience, I'd use xu4 with music and old graphics. Superior DOS graphics + superior Apple music = awesome.

Though I have to admit I like the new tileset in the upgrade patch, but the stylized renderings when you get a partial avatarhood were a bit annoying; I much prefer the pure single-run on a black background in the original.
Does xu4 change the dungeon graphics? The upgrade patch doesn't, but I know for sure that if you use the upgrade patch in combination with xu4 the dungeon graphics are also changed.

Also, you can get the superior music from xu4 into standard Ultima IV with the upgrade patch by using this small utility on the website of the upgrade patch. It lets you choose your own midi files to insert into the game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MMXI said:
Also, you can get the superior music from xu4 into standard Ultima IV with the upgrade patch by using this small utility on the website of the upgrade patch. It lets you choose your own midi files to insert into the game.
The music from xu4 and the upgrade patch are the same. I meant that with xu4 you can have music with original graphics, whereas with patch you end up upgrading both and have therefore to use the new graphics (unless the utility you mentioned allows upgrading music-only, but that wasn't around the last time I played U4)

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
MMXI said:
The music from xu4 and the upgrade patch are the same. I meant that with xu4 you can have music with original graphics, whereas with patch you end up upgrading both and have therefore to use the new graphics (unless the utility you mentioned allows upgrading music-only, but that wasn't around the last time I played U4)
I understand that. I prefer the upgraded graphics, though. But you are wrong about xu4 and the upgrade patch having the same music. They don't. Go compare them. The upgrade patch has terrible quality music in comparison to xu4. This utility allows you to specify a midi file for each of the 10 "songs" played during the game. You can use it to add the xu4 midi files to an upgrade patched Ultima IV to replace the default poor quality ones. Of course, you may as well just play xu4 with the upgrade patch if you want the high quality xu4 music and "improved" graphics.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
u402.gif

u403.gif

lolololol wat kind of dumb graphics is this?

mondblut

Arcane
MapMan said:
Fucking :decline: Games used to be like a delicacy that only few people could pirate. Now? It's fucking free for everyone, that's why we get one popamole shit after another.

Fixed :smug:

I miss the times you had to be in the know and have special contacts to get new games. If you had lots of games, everyone wanted to be your friend. Now, it's free for all with those stupid torrents :(

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's more like it was hard to use. Text-only interface without affordance? Intelligent patient person only.

DA 2? OC retard only.

robbio

Novice
Sega Master System version on Fusion 3.64

Hi guys, just been playing Ultima IV on the master system emulator and I've got a bit stuck, just wondering if anyone can help me or has had this problem before. I'm an 8 part avatar, I have most of the special items and I'm just trying to get the white stone from the top of the serpents spine mountain. coordinates F'A" E' A" all the walkthroughs say it's supposed to be there but it just isn't, I've tried searching at full moon and new moon and it just isn't there, which is really annoying. Anyone encountered this problem? Is there something I haven't done? I've followed all the clue threads of people talking about the stone but it just ain't there!

Any help would be much appreciated

Apollion

Scholar
Could care less about how it looks, but if you want the version easiest to play, go for the genesis/master system port. Its pretty faithful to the original and you can use an emulators frame skip function to fast forward through the awful monotonous combat portions. Fantastic series, but they never got combat right.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks like today's roguelikes, and not even those more advanced. Sometimes I wonder if they were even trying back then...

MMXI

Arcane
The more detailed tiles are, the worse they look. Probably some sort of uncanny valley effect. Just look at that screenshot above. Look at those trees. They fucking suck way more than the original.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maybe because the tile they use for trees is just a blurry mess and probably placeholder, just compare it to the rocks...

Malakal said:
Looks like today's roguelikes, and not even those more advanced. Sometimes I wonder if they were even trying back then...
Back then they were limited by the resolution and color depth, there's only so much detail you can have on 320x200 with 16 colors, heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom