Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wadjet Eye Unavowed - Dave Gilbert's RPG-inspired urban fantasy game

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Crooked Bee, May 27, 2015.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/unavowed/

https://www.gog.com/game/unavowed?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Show Spoiler
    Just wanted to create a new thread about this so it doesn't get lost in the Technobabylon discussion.

A while ago taxalot asked what Gilbert himself was up to, i.e. what game he's writing himself next. Here's the answer:

http://ask.fm/WadjetEyeGames/answer/128768722806

Too bad that RPG is dead, but I wonder what he means by "very RPG inspired. Sort of".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Quest for Glory-likes?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  4. Western Arcane Patron

Western
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Inspired by the new Kings Quest.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rohand Savant

rohand
    Parrots:
    Akin to the torrent of Roguelike-like-like-likes, now we'll have Quest-for-Glory-like-like-likes

^ Top  
  6. RPGMaster Savant

RPGMaster
    Parrots:
    Romances confirmed.

^ Top  
  7. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  9. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Holt shit :bounce:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    The best part of Bloodlines was the first person perspective so you could see those vampire bewbs (and also to see characters up close). The writing and setting could probably translate pretty well into 2d side-scrolling point-and-click tho.
    That jew game very pretty cool - at least as LP.

^ Top  
  11. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Sadly, I doubt he can manage the scope. A short point and click can be very fun, but I am not sure at all when it comes to a five hour Bloodlines.

Let's just wait to know more about it.

^ Top  
  12. VioletShadow Sensate Patron

VioletShadow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm... skeptical :oops:
    :keepmyjewgold:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Yeah, I'd like to see some early concepts of design on what exactly he is trying to do with this.

^ Top  
  14. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    I think the main problem is that he's essentially making casual games. Not that that can't work for a Bloodlines-like game if the writing and interaction are strong enough, but still.

^ Top  
  15. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    His problem is ultimately going to be his indie budget. Unless he wants to go the Jeff Vogel route.

^ Top  
  16. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Dunno if I'm interested, if you are making a game about vampires, its kinda important to make the fact that there are vampires on your game something important and different. If its just Blackwell with vampires... I dunno, I already played a bunch of storyfag casual adventure games and I'm kinda tired of the lack of substance.

^ Top  
  17. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Here go my hopes for another RPG/Adventure hybrid...

^ Top  
  18. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is gonna be bad. Without rpg elements you can't even have Bloodnet bad, which would at least be entertaining.

The important part of Bloodlines, besides the good alternative solutions and good clan detail work and good powers and good dialog and good sense of place and good music.

Was the developed setting, wholesale lifted from White Wolf. Which you really can't develop on a indie game produced in a year, no matter how good you are (even if the game doesn't actually show any of this, for the dedicated nerd, such things have a large mental impression of unstated connections that make a work truly headcanon worthy, just look at the Caine headcanon in Bloodlines).

Ah well, Donna the Avenger of blood was a 'good' (for certain values of good) vampire adventure, it's not like it's impossible.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    ^ Top  
  19. pippin Guest

pippin
    You can't fit Bloodlines in a Wadjet Eye-like game.
    Hell, even Bloodlines itself was too big for its own good, according to B.Mitsoda. I'm not quite sure how WE could do this.

^ Top  
  20. Crane quorum plaustra vagas rite trahunt domos Patron

Crane
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Considering it's Wadjet Eye I think it'll be good, but we should temper our hopes of seeing Bloodlines in an 6 hour P&C adventure game. Honestly I'm thinking that we'll only see small lines of continuity between Bloodlines and whatever game this'll be. Maybe stuff like "vampire have to blend into human society without being noticed" from the Masquerade setting, but not much else.

There is another Bloodlines inspired (read: ripoff) RPG on steam, but I haven't tried it out.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/280600/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    I think it would be nice if they made a game focused on the relationships. I mean something like you being a new vampire on your clan, as you enter on vampire society, your sire ends dead because of a power struggle inside the clan, as you being his "child" and now you being without protection you are marked to die as him/her. The gameplay is about you developing a network of people that can help you survive the power grab of a terribly powerful elder.

As a vampire, you use your powers to get allies, you seduce/manipulate powerful pople, you turn bankers and politicians on ghouls or if you think you have something to gain you can decide to turn them on vampires too to pledge loyalty through the blood bond with you. You manage a network of ghouls and loyal vampires and you work for them to get on better positions, you happen to use your powers to get rid of the competion for your ghoul to reach CEO status on that company you think will help you out.

You have to be careful, saying to too many people you are a vampire could be dangerous, you can't be that open as many people won't react well when discovering they are dealing with a monster that is trying to dominate them and will react on nasty ways like calling the help of vampire hunters and such. They could make a mostly adventure game with lots of roleplaying and decision making without combat or stats but I fear he will go for straight linear storytelling, it could be awesome depending on the story but I would be disappointed, so many possibilities of storytelling that use the interactivity of videogames and most designers still just ape movies and books and throw some simplistic token gameplay just to keep the gamming quota over 10%, its a shame.

^ Top  
  22. WhiteGuts Arcane

WhiteGuts
    Parrots:
    I hope the game includes a cabbie.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  24. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Uh-oh: http://ask.fm/WadjetEyeGames/answer/131652506742

The world really is small.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  25. Crane quorum plaustra vagas rite trahunt domos Patron

Crane
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :badnews:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)