Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Unavowed - Dave Gilbert's RPG-inspired urban fantasy game

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck, I'm stuck at the wall street rooftop.

? You cant get to the roof or whats the problem?
keypad code men. At the wall street scene.

you missed a note. It says old man dog snake man - the other tipp is on the keypad. I forgot where the note is, if I have the wrong order you have to look for the note somewhere in the building
Feck, I had them, but didn't put them together. I even legs, but not in that order.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a way to make dialogue not progress unless some input is given in this one? My gf dont talk english very good you sea, and Dave's stuff seems like an amazing teaching tool for someone like her. All it needs is a way to pause dialogue, or make it wait for you to process it. Is such a feature available here?

Is there a way to make it work in such a way?
Screenshottin'?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Screenshots seem super cumbersome; it sounds like a "pause" is more necessary. I believe (although Unavowed is in a different version of AGS than Primordia) that if you play in a window, rather than full screen, when the window looses focus the game will pause. So you could just do a 2xnearest neighbor filter in a window, which will be a good size, then click to the desktop to pause as needed. It shouldn't obscure the game window, so the text will still be up, but it should pause the action.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The positive RPS review should have served as a warning sign to me.

I was expecting something more like Maniac Mansion or even DOTT, but like Kem0sabe mentioned above, it feels like you are just shuttled from scene to scene reading dialog and banter and then solving a simple puzzle before you are off to the next scene. I have played some other Wadjet Eye games, and I guess I should have expected that this would be narrative/dialog focused, but I thought the "RPG" aspects would translate into a game with a bit more exploration (even if the game was linear).

It's got amazing artwork and being able to select your origin story and whatnot is cool, but just not my kind of adventure game sadly.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The positive RPS review should have served as a warning sign to me.

I was expecting something more like Maniac Mansion or even DOTT, but like Kem0sabe mentioned above, it feels like you are just shuttled from scene to scene reading dialog and banter and then solving a simple puzzle before you are off to the next scene. I have played some other Wadjet Eye games, and I guess I should have expected that this would be narrative/dialog focused, but I thought the "RPG" aspects would translate into a game with a bit more exploration (even if the game was linear).

It's got amazing artwork and being able to select your origin story and whatnot is cool, but just not my kind of adventure game sadly.
did you enjoyed blackwell? if you did (the series never had complex,multiple stage puzzle design like monkey island 2 or days of tentacle, but if you like the setting/character/atmosphere/theme of blackwell you should enjoy this at least

newtmonkey

Arcane
HoboForEternity

I haven't played any of the blackwell games, only Technobabylon for any length of time (Gemini Rue for a bit also). I didn't love Technobabylon, but enjoyed the setting. The setting in Unavowed didn't interest me so much, but I thought the C&C stuff and selectable characters would get me interested.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
HoboForEternity

I haven't played any of the blackwell games, only Technobabylon for any length of time (Gemini Rue for a bit also). I didn't love Technobabylon, but enjoyed the setting. The setting in Unavowed didn't interest me so much, but I thought the C&C stuff and selectable characters would get me interested.
well i think (and blackwell) are both worth a try. maybe start with the first blackwell, it;s dirt cheap and only 2 hours long. the second is around 3 to 4 hours the last one is 8 hours - ish.

Big Wrangle

I think I'm about 40% into the game now, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. If anyone was hoping for some true "Adventure RPG," that is yet to happen. But the game takes some cues from the genre to make things a bit more interesting and can give it some replay value. I think the puzzles might have gotten a bit easier, but since I have become more familiar with adventure games compared to before, I'm not the best judge.
Kinda wish the party banter would continue if you decide to examine objects and/or transition to a new area though.

Cromwell

Arcane
I think I'm about 40% into the game now, and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. If anyone was hoping for some true "Adventure RPG," that is yet to happen. But the game takes some cues from the genre to make things a bit more interesting and can give it some replay value. I think the puzzles might have gotten a bit easier, but since I have become more familiar with adventure games compared to before, I'm not the best judge.
Kinda wish the party banter would continue if you decide to examine objects and/or transition to a new area though.

Blackwell Series was definetly harder than this (and still pretty easy). Iam not so sure about the replayability, I tried and started a new game, female police detective this time, but then it hit me, I have to do it all over again and its pretty much the "same" apart from the choices at the end of missions and maybe some chatter, so I put it to the backlog. Maybe if more people replayed it they share some opinions if its really worth it to do it all over again (as opposed to watching the other ending on youtube).

Fuck, I'm stuck at the wall street rooftop.

? You cant get to the roof or whats the problem?
keypad code men. At the wall street scene.

you missed a note. It says old man dog snake man - the other tipp is on the keypad. I forgot where the note is, if I have the wrong order you have to look for the note somewhere in the building
Feck, I had them, but didn't put them together. I even legs, but not in that order.

I was so sure LEGS stands for 5937 and the note tells you how to rearrange these digits... :argh:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
In the middle of my playthrough now. Damn, that Eddings house was depressing.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
which origin story did everyone choose first? i am leaning towards police officer but i am struggling to choose what my first experience should be since i have waited so long for this

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Actor. It's been useful so far for bullshitting my way through situations.

visions

Arcane
Bartender as well. I haven't tried the other two origins so don't know how it compares to them.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Finished Unavowed yesterday, I was really like it. The modern fantasy setting was surprisingly dark and the story was deeper then I originally thought. I definitely didn't see the twist coming, they even managed to incorporate the twist into the game's mechanics with is more then most games do. The companion mechanic is also really interesting since it makes the game feel more open the most adventures. I especially like the soundtrack which has over 50 tracks from atmospheric jazz to mysterious electric soundscapes. Sadly the voice acting is a mixed bag, some of it is good some characters just sound cheap The choices could have been done better they too obvious for my taste, the ending "level" did it better where the game does not tell you that you are making choice.

I can recommend the Unavowed to anyone who likes supernatural stories and those who want to see what can be done with the old point and click genre if you are willing to innovate.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I played female, but if you play male in eddins house
do you really have a buttsex with art?
lol if so.

Considering the twist and all
if it was the demon, it would make sense he would do it, but as a human male he'd try other way to do it, but i guess psychopath cannot give a fuck about who they are fucking.

ive nothing against homosexuals, but its kinda fun to think to.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Also i just finished it. Wish it was longer, but it is still ironically WEG biggest game.

I LOVE the characters, all the unavowed members and some of the antagonist. The storyline, plot twist, etc are all well executed, well written, well paced.

Voice acting is good for the most part. Few are better than the other. The audio quality is a bit . . Eh.

Maybe because i didnt have headphones when i played blackwell and other WEG, but playing it headphones, the recording quality really is noticeable. It is a minor complaint, because they are well acted and considering the budget they have to work with.

Puzzles are a bit weak, then again blackwell didnt have too much complex puzzles too, although admittedly blackwell have more on the puzzles side despite being shorter.

In the end, like everything dave gilbert made, i love it and i hope DaveGilbert can make unavowed a series. Make unavowed: dragonfall in berlin, or the old crew trying to
bring mel back

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom