Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail - alpha gameplay video

Baron

Arcane
Like John McClane I'm never happier than when I get to crawl through a ventilation shaft. Looks pretty good.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That does look interesting, indeed.
I don't mind it looking so similar to the Fallout vault scenes. Hell, it's about time someone did it!

Also, good idea to change the title.
Timelapse Vertigo was a wtf title, it implied absolutely nothing. At least UnderRail gives you an idea.

KickAss

Augur
Looks awesome!
I'm assuming that the time bar during lockpicking happens in real time and is there so the player could get noticed and attacked by the owner? if this is so, I hope you can't lockpick during combat time, because then it will become an exploit (enter combat -> lockpick -> exit combat)..
The game will probably have the "wait for a long time until enemy moves one by one" thing, just like Fallout. I'm wondering if it is possible to make all the enemies offscreen to move simultaneously.. not a big deal though...

Who noticed the PS:T reference? :)

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Looks awesome!
I'm assuming that the time bar during lockpicking happens in real time and is there so the player could get noticed and attacked by the owner? if this is so, I hope you can't lockpick during combat time, because then it will become an exploit (enter combat -> lockpick -> exit combat)..

Thanks. :)

Yes, lockpicking, opening ventilation shafts, pickpocketing and so forth all have relatively long casting times so you run a risk of being detected (there's a useful feat to reduce the times). And you are right, you cannot perform these actions in the real-time combat.

The game will probably have the "wait for a long time until enemy moves one by one" thing, just like Fallout. I'm wondering if it is possible to make all the enemies offscreen to move simultaneously.. not a big deal though...
My goal is to make all the off screen movement instant (or as close to that as possible) in turn based mode.

Looks awesome!

Thanks. :)

Yes, lockpicking, opening ventilation shafts, pickpocketing and so forth all have relatively long casting times so you run a risk of being detected (there's a useful feat to reduce the times). And you are right, you cannot perform these actions in the real-time.

My goal is to make all the off screen movement instant (or as close to that as possible) in turn based mode.

Will there be any different looking areas in the game, or only those vault-lookalike compounds like in the vid?

Anyway looks great and the kind of game I love/would like to play! :bounce:

Also are you the only guy working on this, or do you have a team?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Will there be any different looking areas in the game, or only those vault-lookalike compounds like in the vid?

There will be a number of different are types. You can take a look at the some Lower Metro and Cave areas in the media section on the website:
http://www.underrail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=55

A freelancer is doing the character models and animations. I'm doing everything else.

MCA
The game is looking so very good. UI is great. The way it plays looks great. The character system looks interesting. Looks retro in a modern way.

Still hate the new name, though.

Oh but please, try to speed up out-of-LOS action during combat. Maybe add an option to hide it completely or a speed setting. Waiting for that is the most painful thing in any TB game.

One thing that I failed to pick from videos is how the grid assignment occurs when combat starts. PC can move pixel accurate in real-time so do you make all actors move to the nearest square center at the start of combat?

There will be a number of different are types. You can take a look at the some Lower Metro and Cave areas in the media section on the website:
http://www.underrail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=41&Itemid=55

A freelancer is doing the character models and animations. I'm doing everything else.

:bravo:

You will have my money, I just hope you won't ask for a lot. You deserve it, but I'm not very rich. :D It's not every day that "indie" game looks and plays like this. Returns me to the fondest times of my gaming life where everything was just fuckin' better. :love:

Marsal

Arcane
Now this is a proper fucking gameplay video! This looks vastly better than anything I've seen in a long time. Smooth gameplay, nice aesthetics overall. Only criticism: the combat will get boring after a while with only 1 character, so make sure that combat is infrequent, deadly and that it can be avoided. You seem inspired by Fallout, so I'm sure everything will turn out great.

You would make a killing on Kickstarter. If that shitty vaporware zombie game can raise couple hundred thousand, you can top that easily.

I'll continue following your thread, keep up the good work!

xPZha.gif

DarkUnderlord, pin OP on the front page, please. Every Codexer needs to see this.

Now this is the kind of game that we codexers should make fundraisers for!

Also you should look into advertising it properly, at least on I don't know, gamebanshee, rpgwatch, nma-fallout? I think a lot of people don't know about it, and it would be a damn shame if it didn't sell because it was relatively unknown...

Marsal

Arcane
Now this is the kind of game that we codexers should make fundraisers for!

Also you should look into advertising it properly, at least on I don't know, gamebanshee, rpgwatch, nma-fallout? I think a lot of people don't know about it, and it would be a damn shame if it didn't sell because it was relatively unknown...
I'm glad that we finally have a game worth supporting. Styg, you are our new Messiah, may God have mercy on your soul if you fuck it up like VD did with AoD. No pressure! :P

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, that looks great! Wish it was party-based but that's just a minor nitpick. Love the combat and look of the game in general. This just went on my "must buy" list. Styg if you had Kickstated this I would have pledged quite a bit :D!

Wow, that looks great! Wish it was party-based but that's just a minor nitpick. Love the combat and look of the game in general. This just went on my "must buy" list. Styg if you had Kickstated this I would have pledged quite a bit :D!

Sure you would, but he's a real bro and doesn't need kickstarter, although he has a lot more to show than most there, and it also looks great. When game comes out feel free to give him the money. :P

getter77

Augur
Definitely looks to have steadily improved since it was first announced---well done indeed.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the support. :)

I did send mails out to a lot of news sites about this video.

You would make a killing on Kickstarter.

Raising the funds would certainly help speed up development, but I don't think I have enough visibility to start a successful crowd-funding campaign.
Styg, you are our new Messiah, may God have mercy on your soul if you fuck it up like VD did with AoD. No pressure! :P

I guess I don't want to know what happened to previous ones. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom