Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #36: Version 0.1.13.0 Released + Development Roadmap

The new screenshots look really good. Seems like the tile sets have been adjusted for a darker look. Very good indeed.

GloomFrost

Arcane
The funny thing is that he moment it is released, the Codex will suddenly realise that it was shit all along....

like every other RPG evah...
not unless there are significant changes to the release version, which is doubtful.
He could always go back to real-time.

I think unless they decide to turn it into fps so it would "sell better" the codex will not "suddenly realise that it was shot all along" lol.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I know nothing about this game and have intentionally kept myself in the dark about it, and every night for the last few weeks my penis has reflexively twitched in the direction of Styg, and I have woken up with my name on my moist lips

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The genius of Underrail is that it realized two things:

1) It turns out that many Fallout fans like the "Vault" aspect of Fallout more than they like the "irradiated desert wasteland" aspect of Fallout.

2) It turns out that many Fallout fans prefer a vertical rather than horizontal expansion of the Fallout combat formula. In other words, they don't want party-based combat, they want single character combat but WITH MAGIC POWERS and other abilities.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not sure about the first point, but I definetly agree with the second.

I wouldn't mind if Underrail had some open outside areas, like a ruined city or something...

Weasel
2) It turns out that many Fallout fans prefer a vertical rather than horizontal expansion of the Fallout combat formula. In other words, they don't want party-based combat, they want single character combat but WITH MAGIC POWERS and other abilities.

Perhaps some like both/either, but have been poorly served in a market flooded with streamlining, cutscenes and shovelware. If Styg's next project is a party-based game I'm fairly sure I'll be buying that too.

Drowed

Arcane

1) It turns out that many Fallout fans like the "Vault" aspect of Fallout more than they like the "irradiated desert wasteland" aspect of Fallout.

As for point 1... I agree. But it would be nice to see one or other outdoor area, just for a change. No big deal, though.

As for point 2... I cannot deny that "Fallout with MAGIC(TM)" is something attractive. But why not have both? A character with a wider range of powers, and the ability to control a group, both in one game would make it even better. Not that Underrail isn't, possibly, the best RPG of the decade already.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath

Or how about it's just an incredibly well-designed and constructed game you gigantic douche.

set

Cipher
He's not wrong about 1 and 2 though. Having a party makes the wasteland feel less wastelandy and certainly we could use a new kind of environment in Fallout 4. I think I'm tired of the desert.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
It's unnecessary reductionism though. The game is great because of the mechanics, the atmosphere and its uniqueness. I couldn't give a piss if it was topside, bottomside, outside or upside down...if the aforementioned qualities are there, then I'm interested. And this game has those things in spades. Crafting, characters, intrigue, artwork, level design, exploration. It's all there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's unnecessary reductionism though. The game is great because of the mechanics, the atmosphere and its uniqueness. I couldn't give a piss if it was topside, bottomside, outside or upside down...if the aforementioned qualities are there, then I'm interested. And this game has those things in spades. Crafting, characters, intrigue, artwork, level design, exploration. It's all there.

I'm not explaining why it's a good game. I'm explaining why it's gotten a cult following here. That requires certain stand-out factors beyond simply "good design".

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Mechanics, atmosphere and uniqueness. In that order. There has rarely been a game designed this well in the genre...and I honestly think that's enough to garner the following it's gotten. Especially after a decade of promises falling flat. I think you're selling RPG fans, and particularly Codexians, very short if you think it's simply because of your #1&2 examples.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Mechanics, atmosphere and uniqueness.

Well, I really don't want to turn this into a discussion, but that's way too general. It doesn't really say anything. WHAT specifically about those things are the standout factors that make people love this game above and beyond what you'd normally expect from a no-name indie?

Mechanics - what specifically about them do people like? I explained that in #2. Fallout with powers.

Atmosphere - what specifically about it do people like? I explained that in #1 - it's the claustrophobic "Vault" atmosphere people liked in Fallout, taken to the extreme.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I have never felt claustrophobic in Fallout nor do I think the first 2 games really did much with the vault theme.

'Fallout with powers' - have you even played Underrail?

Your reasoning is retarded.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Fallout with powers.

No, you fucking retard. The combat, crafting, exploration, leveling, and questing are little-to-nothing like Fallout. And if you think you don't want to turn this into a discussion, amplify that a few notches and that's where I'm at.

EDIT: It warms my black heart a bit to see that SS and I both called you a retard at, essentially, the same time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Fallout with powers.

No, you fucking retard. The combat, crafting, exploration, leveling, and questing are little-to-nothing like Fallout. And if you think you don't want to turn this into a discussion, amplify that a few notches and that's where I'm at.

:lol: I'm complimenting the game for doing the right things to turn itself into a cult classic and you're interpreting that as an attack.

Look, the reality is that "good design" is nice, but becoming a cult classic requires something more. A very specific "hook" that really turns people on. Underrail's specific hook is that it's evolved the Fallout formula in ways that people were really looking for. I do NOT see what is so controversial about this.

Saduj

Arcane

I like the setting. But the setting by itself doesn't make the game appealing to me. What is very appealing is that the game mechanics work well within the setting. For example, I usually hate stealth but this game does it well. There are mechanics and character choices designed around infiltrating high tech facilities. If the game were set in a more open, low tech desert wasteland and the mechanics and character choices were just as well designed for that setting, I suspect that I'd enjoy it just as much.

I agree with your second point more. Not so much the emphasis on "magic powers" but just the fact that it is turn based single player combat with lots of interesting options that are fun to play while keeping it challenging.

Raapys

Arcane
The thing that comes to mind for me when Underrail is mentioned is quite simply quality. None of the 'listed features' are particularly original or groundbreaking, but they're all just so well implemented. As long as other mechanics remain the same, I don't see making it party based or changing the location/setting(assuming the excellent atmosphere isn't broken) as having much effect on my enjoyment of it.

Dagobert

Educated
Wow, the game's visuals impoved a lot, I love the new tilesets. When the game will be released? I have early access version, but i'm waiting for the whole thing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Maybe we just liked Fallout and this game is basically Fallout with tighter mechanics.

I mostly avoided psi powers myself (did one quick game with them just to see how they work).

GloomFrost

Arcane
Underrail is an awesome game of course. But I would not call it "cult classic" yet. Unlike fallout it hasn't passed the test of time yet. Also I think that the "magic powers" and a "vault aspect" are the last things why people love it so much. I have never heard anyone say something like "Hey man I played the underrail last night and it is so cool, much better then fallout coz you can kill rats with fireballs, the best thing ever!!!!!!"
No people just FINALLY after so many years got an isometric 2d , comlpex, post apocalyptic rpg. It looks like fallout, more importantly plays like fallout and feels like fallout. And costs almost nothing compared to other games and was made by a small company most people never heard of, proving that a lot of hard work, dedication and creativity means more then a games budget. Especially at this day and age when almost all magazines and websites try to convince you that the new Dragon age is the best of the best of the best and tactical turn based combat is "boring and outdated."

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I enjoy some of the little details they started adding to the game, like the character portrait changing depending on the area and the lighting conditions.

epeli

Arcane
It is so very easy to see when someone hasn't played Underrail yet ;)

Infinitron has a very pleasant surprise waiting for him once he decides to give it a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom