Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #36: Version 0.1.13.0 Released + Development Roadmap

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't hold your breath; Infinitron is too busy suckling the popular teat of mainstream Kickstarter games to care about having good taste.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
And now for some entertainment, straight from the bowels of steam reviews, some quotes from negative Underrail reviews:

"I know this is a thinking persons game but I just find it too difficult. Nearly every encounter I feel overwhelmed. And I'm playing in the easy mode. Even though it appears open world you have to follow the progression of the story. I've not encountered any side quest. If you go exploring you will die. Hell, I die just following the storyline."

"In a nutshell, this game is overly complicated. There isn't enough leeway to play it the way you want to. When Styg was developing the game he seemed to put more priority on making the game needlessly harder and more complicated than adding additional content. "

"The game becomes exponentially difficult very fast. This would be ok if you had multiple ways of getting around baddies but this simply isn't the case. I reached level 5 and put a lot of points into guns as well as perks that enhance gunplay. Didn't have much impact as everything killed you and had like a million more action points than you. To make things worse, aim accuracy would drop from 90+ to 19% at point blank range at any given time for no reason. The only time FO did this was when you had moved into a darker spot, and you would have to lure a critter closer to a light source for better shots. I checked all possible reasons why this might happen and could find nothing wrong with my guy or weapons."

Enjoy!

more fuel for the ovens

I've been a supporter of this game back when it was only availiable on Desura.

Back then Styg seemed like he was listening to community input on the game, then a slew of decisions began that I didn't agree with. To be fair it is his game, but every review I've read on it has the same gripe with issues that I have.

So let's start with my biggest gripes with this game:

What's up with the lockpicks?

This was the first thing I remember the community rallying behind telling Styg to just "leave the lockpick system alone." It was fine, it didn't need to be changed. You had a lockpick? great you can use it as a lockpick if you have the skill. Then Styg changed it to this teired disposable lockpick thing.... needlessly complicated. You'll burn through lockpicks like your girlfriend burns through toilet paper.

Wait, why don't you want to buy my stuff?

Styg decided to go with the "oh people only want to buy certain things" aspect of Skyrim. Yeah, that makes sense in a location with a working economy maybe, but Skyrim at least gave you a person who would buy anything, and in Fallout, pretty much anyone will take any item if it has value.

Let me put it this way, you're in a desolate world, you're a trader, and some idiot has offered you an item you know you could sell for double the price. Well you obviously won't take it because your a gun dealer, and this person is offering you gold pressed latnum.

Now a lot of you reading this might be saying "Hey Hans, these are game mechanics, they're not based in reality."
Well, in response to that I have to say it's an immersion breaker to have game mechanics become so frustrating they break immersion of the game.

In a nutshell, this game is overly complicated. There isn't enough leeway to play it the way you want to. When Styg was developing the game he seemed to put more priority on making the game needlessly harder and more complicated than adding additional content. That being said the guy is a great developer. I hope he joins up with a team of individuals who have equal input on the direction of the game as he does.

I'm also glad I supported this game as I believe there should be more like it out there. In it's current state, I would not recommend it to my friends because of the constant needless complication.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm also glad I supported this game as I believe there should be more like it out there. In it's current state, I would not recommend it to my friends because of the constant needless complication.

He should obviously just plaster a huge "PRESS A" button on it and automate everything.

epeli

Arcane
And now for some entertainment, straight from the bowels of steam reviews, some quotes from negative Underrail reviews:

"I know this is a thinking persons game but I just find it too difficult. Nearly every encounter I feel overwhelmed. And I'm playing in the easy mode. Even though it appears open world you have to follow the progression of the story. I've not encountered any side quest. If you go exploring you will die. Hell, I die just following the storyline."

"In a nutshell, this game is overly complicated. There isn't enough leeway to play it the way you want to. When Styg was developing the game he seemed to put more priority on making the game needlessly harder and more complicated than adding additional content. "

"The game becomes exponentially difficult very fast. This would be ok if you had multiple ways of getting around baddies but this simply isn't the case. I reached level 5 and put a lot of points into guns as well as perks that enhance gunplay. Didn't have much impact as everything killed you and had like a million more action points than you. To make things worse, aim accuracy would drop from 90+ to 19% at point blank range at any given time for no reason. The only time FO did this was when you had moved into a darker spot, and you would have to lure a critter closer to a light source for better shots. I checked all possible reasons why this might happen and could find nothing wrong with my guy or weapons."

Enjoy!
:lol: Steam idiots :lol:
Apparently Underrail is too hard... and I was just about to leave Styg some feedback on some things that make the combat too easy. Guess I'll have to scrap that. :(

PS. Every single character in Underrail has precisely 50 action points (although movement points are a different thing, and drugs can temporarily boost APs) and apparently the poor fella didn't even see those big, red Close Quarters / Move and Shoot penalties on the heavy rifle he was toting. :lol:

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Enjoy!
:lol: Steam idiots :lol:
Apparently Underrail is too hard... and I was just about to leave Styg some feedback on some things that make the combat too easy. Guess I'll have to scrap that. :(

PS. Every single character in Underrail has precisely 50 action points (although movement points are a different thing, and drugs can temporarily boost APs) and apparently the poor fella didn't even see those big, red Close Quarters / Move and Shoot penalties on the heavy rifle he was toting. :lol:
Penalties? In muh game? Preposterous!

epeli

Arcane
Well they are kinda hard to notice, I mean how could anyone ever see those big red numbers?
It's not like they are the first thing that pops out from the description...

ykYQJV3.png

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Well they are kinda hard to notice, I mean how could anyone ever see those big red numbers?
It's not like they are the first thing that pops out from the description...

ykYQJV3.png
And this is how those people see the stats:

CPZmMRN.png

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Retards. Retards never change.

I've never felt challenged in a way that didn't seem fun. Kids these days are so used to AAA games letting them win at EVERYTHING that they don't have the slightest clue how to actually appreciate any challenge they're confronted with. On another separate note, I just want to say I am incredibly impressed with Upper Underrail. Really great job guys...I really can't think of another game this gorgeous.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
more fuel for the ovens

I've been a supporter of this game back when it was only availiable on Desura.

Back then Styg seemed like he was listening to community input on the game, then a slew of decisions began that I didn't agree with. To be fair it is his game, but every review I've read on it has the same gripe with issues that I have.

So let's start with my biggest gripes with this game:

What's up with the lockpicks?

This was the first thing I remember the community rallying behind telling Styg to just "leave the lockpick system alone." It was fine, it didn't need to be changed. You had a lockpick? great you can use it as a lockpick if you have the skill. Then Styg changed it to this teired disposable lockpick thing.... needlessly complicated. You'll burn through lockpicks like your girlfriend burns through toilet paper.

Wait, why don't you want to buy my stuff?

Styg decided to go with the "oh people only want to buy certain things" aspect of Skyrim. Yeah, that makes sense in a location with a working economy maybe, but Skyrim at least gave you a person who would buy anything, and in Fallout, pretty much anyone will take any item if it has value.

Let me put it this way, you're in a desolate world, you're a trader, and some idiot has offered you an item you know you could sell for double the price. Well you obviously won't take it because your a gun dealer, and this person is offering you gold pressed latnum.

Now a lot of you reading this might be saying "Hey Hans, these are game mechanics, they're not based in reality."
Well, in response to that I have to say it's an immersion breaker to have game mechanics become so frustrating they break immersion of the game.

In a nutshell, this game is overly complicated. There isn't enough leeway to play it the way you want to. When Styg was developing the game he seemed to put more priority on making the game needlessly harder and more complicated than adding additional content. That being said the guy is a great developer. I hope he joins up with a team of individuals who have equal input on the direction of the game as he does.

He does make some valid points, especially regarding lockpicks. Your electronic lockpick works on power, its depleted, you recharge it... but it doesnt brake after use, on the other hand the normal lockpicks, independent of quality tier, will always brake on use. I understand its a way to promote player spending, but with the amount of locked shit that is present in this game (not quite WL2 level but not far off), it's constantly forcing the player into a lockpick inventory management minigame.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This game has done the impossible and made single-character turn-based combat exciting.

Absolutely, unless you're counting roguelikes (I don't).

It's the first of its kind in this regard, as far as I know. All of the other turn-based greats, including Japanese games, were team-based.

Then again, I can't recall any single-character turn-based games to begin with.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Uh, if it helps, what we really mean is "single player-controlled character".

No, because that doesn't quite preclude computer-controlled characters on the player's side.

Would "single-allied-character turn-based game" work better for you? I think you're the one who's confused here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh, if it helps, what we really mean is "single player-controlled character".

No, because that doesn't quite preclude computer-controlled characters on the player's side.

Would "single-allied-character turn-based game" work better for you? I think you're the one who's confused here.

What the fuck are you talking about

Look, Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Age of Decadence are single character turn-based games, duh.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Age of Decadence has no npc's joining the players group, while Fallout 1 and 2 had followers, is that what you mean?

Athelas

Arcane
So basically Tim Cain & co. were the fathers of the single-player turn-based RPG, with Fallout and then Arcanum.

I still think single-player turn-based is the equivalent of using a limo to deliver mail.

epeli

Arcane
He does make some valid points, especially regarding lockpicks. Your electronic lockpick works on power, its depleted, you recharge it... but it doesnt brake after use, on the other hand the normal lockpicks, independent of quality tier, will always brake on use. I understand its a way to promote player spending, but with the amount of locked shit that is present in this game (not quite WL2 level but not far off), it's constantly forcing the player into a lockpick inventory management minigame.
By the way, that point is no longer valid. As of this version, attentive players can find special lockpicking tools that won't "brake" and not even break.

Though I don't understand why people see lockpicks as a problem, but not batteries. Lockpicks are cheap, don't weight much and you can buy a dozen or two of them at once. Not any worse than the batteries you need.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What the fuck are you talking about

Look, Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Age of Decadence are single character turn-based games, duh.

Are you trying to make a joke, or what?

In all three of those games, allies may join you, and you can even control their behavior to some extent. In Underrail, you're always alone. There are no allies in combat unless independent NPC guards happen to be standing nearby when you fight rathounds or similar, which doesn't really qualify.

It's a pretty simple concept, and I'm not sure what you aren't getting.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Though I don't understand why people see lockpicks as a problem, but not batteries. Lockpicks are cheap, don't weight much and you can buy a dozen or two of them at once. Not any worse than the batteries you need.

It's a lot like having to buy a new hammer every time you pound a single nail. Since there's no player skill-reliant mini-game, it doesn't make any sense for them to break constantly from a realism perspective. Plus, after the first few hours you aren't going to run out of picks anyway.

Not that I really give a damn, mind you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom