Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #41: Noise System, Vacation

Athelas

Arcane
I meant that KS promised transparency and players' involvement but didn't deliver. Styg did.
I though Styg mostly did his own thing and followed his personal vision (which is great, because he's obviously a better game designer than any of us).

Regardless, the point I made in my previous post still stands.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I meant that KS promised transparency and players' involvement but didn't deliver. Styg did.

Player involvement and transparency is overrated, as a customer I care about the end result. Styg is just a much better (and passionate) designer who didn't spend the last decade making casual popamole shit or mobile games, he's interested in producing quality instead of saving "bad" players and kissing the asses of hipster journos.

Most of kickstarters are superficial nostalgia cash grabs with developers namedropping games (to invoke those nostalgia feels) they didn't touch for years. When Styg says that inspirations for Underrail are Fallout and Arcanum you tend to actually believe him.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
None of the kickstarter rpgs even come close to underrail mechanically, the game is almost perfect in terms of combat, character progression and crafting systems.

In terms of aesthetics, only one other KS rpg I feel looks and sounds better, in the form of shadowrun, which also surpasses it in writing.

Otherwise, the millions invested in PoE, wasteland 2 and divinity original sin don't hold a candle to underrail.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
On a side note, why do all the developers think that silenced weapon = neutered girl-fart pffft sound?

Go listen to an actual suppresed gun, it's far from silent.

Esquilax

Arcane
The achievement is the masterpiece Styg is delivering. How long he took? Who cares! I bet that there is a lot of achievers in the industry of mobile games. LOL. Real quality is not measured in expectations about how fast something should be delivered.

Or, as a wise man once said, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Wizfall

Cipher
On a side note, why do all the developers think that silenced weapon = neutered girl-fart pffft sound?

Go listen to an actual suppresed gun, it's far from silent.
Yes and no.
Yes if the silenced weapon use standard amno.
If the silenced weapon use low-velocity amno (or even better subsonic) you will hear a kind of pffft sound.

Athelas

Arcane
Without players' involvement, it would have been a RTwP game.
Doesn't sound like it:
I wasn't happy with how the combat was working out, so I was playing around with damage to health scaling, combat speed and other parameters. But I couldn't strike the comfortable middle between too quick and hectic (narrow corridors, obscuring walls and other isometric stuff didn't help much here) and too dragged out and unnatural. So last week I set down and implemented a turn based combat mode.

I considered doing this before but I was reluctant due to some real-time dependent (not necessarily combat) features I have planned. But I gave it another thought and I think I can still manage it despite the combat being turn based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom