Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Underrail Dev Log #41: Noise System, Vacation

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    I though Styg mostly did his own thing and followed his personal vision (which is great, because he's obviously a better game designer than any of us).

Regardless, the point I made in my previous post still stands.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    ^ Top  
  2. ZagorTeNej Arcane

ZagorTeNej
    Player involvement and transparency is overrated, as a customer I care about the end result. Styg is just a much better (and passionate) designer who didn't spend the last decade making casual popamole shit or mobile games, he's interested in producing quality instead of saving "bad" players and kissing the asses of hipster journos.

Most of kickstarters are superficial nostalgia cash grabs with developers namedropping games (to invoke those nostalgia feels) they didn't touch for years. When Styg says that inspirations for Underrail are Fallout and Arcanum you tend to actually believe him.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Good job making the entire gaming industry look like hacks styg.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. epeli Arcane

epeli
    You're right, I misremembered the earliest engine date. But... Underrail's on Wikipedia? I thought it was a long way from meeting their notability requirements. Some things about development are a little off on the wikipedia article, but I don't have any proper sources to correct those - only IM talks with the Stygian Software guys. You'll just have to trust my word.

Underrail got greenlighted in late 2013, that's when Styg hired 2 guys and proper full-time development started. The alpha demo version is one year older, but practically all of the game's content has been made in the last 3 years by a team of three. And my fanboy opinion: I wouldn't count the development time of the Ouroboros engine/devtools as a part of Underrail's development time, because they can be used for Stygsoft's future games.

^ Top  
  5. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    None of the kickstarter rpgs even come close to underrail mechanically, the game is almost perfect in terms of combat, character progression and crafting systems.

In terms of aesthetics, only one other KS rpg I feel looks and sounds better, in the form of shadowrun, which also surpasses it in writing.

Otherwise, the millions invested in PoE, wasteland 2 and divinity original sin don't hold a candle to underrail.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. *-*/\--/\~ Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~
    On a side note, why do all the developers think that silenced weapon = neutered girl-fart pffft sound?

Go listen to an actual suppresed gun, it's far from silent.

^ Top  
  7. Esquilax Arcane

Esquilax
    Or, as a wise man once said, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Wizfall Arbiter

Wizfall
    Yes and no.
    Yes if the silenced weapon use standard amno.
    If the silenced weapon use low-velocity amno (or even better subsonic) you will hear a kind of pffft sound.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Without players' involvement, it would have been a RTwP game.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  10. ROARRR Learned Possibly Retarded

ROARRR
    ^ Top  
  11. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Doesn't sound like it:

^ Top  
  12. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    No fucking shit. Case closed. And thank GAWD for that. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Every odd post in Underrail discussion was asking for TB combat, that probablty influenced his decision.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. FUDU Arcane

FUDU
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)