Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #58: Environments Preview

Farewell into the night

I've never played this game. Is it better than, same as Fallout?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
This will either be really really good, or it will turn out to have been really really mismanaged. I've been postponing my second playthrough for years,
As was I, now I can't wait for the third one, juss' sayin'

First-off it's a different beast imo, that said I'd say it has less (not actually worse) of the "CYOA" elements but much more (and better) character building/combat/exploration. Don't listen to the "it's the new FO/It's just combat" retards, it is what it is which is pretty fukn great.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane

Main Similarities:
- Post-apocalyptic premise.
- Isometric view.
- Turn-based combat.
- Base abilities (similar to SPECIAL), Skills, Feats (ie, Perks). No Traits, though.
- Devs clearly fans of FO (and Arcanum).

Main Differences:
- Nothing will ever come close to FO's charm.
- Combat much more complex (and satisfying) in UR.
- Very different lore. I love UR's world too, btw.
- Truly open-world (not pseudo, like FO was).
- No party, just yourself.
- Much more sophisticated stealth system
- Glorious crafting system (reminds of Arcanum, but expanded).
- Psi abilities (ie, you can be a mage)
- Both games feature different ways to handle quests, but I don't think that in UR there are many pacifist options. There is a lot of combat in UR and you can't escape it. But you can sometimes avoid it by sneaking.
- There is no low-int dialogue like in FO.

So, in my view, they are both great but quite different. Chances are you are going to love UR if you ever wished that FO had more sophisticated/expanded combat systems. If you are not interested in that, remember that you are still going to have to fight a lot.

Tygrende

Arbiter
This will either be really really good, or it will turn out to have been really really mismanaged.
I'm guessing both.

To me it's kind of like Fallout but with Deus Ex style gameplay with some Arcanum and System Shock mixed in. Less focus on C&C (still has a lot of it though), more on combat with dozens of builds with different playstyles.

Post-apocalyptic premise.
Underrail is kind of unique in that regard because the apocalypse happened so long ago it has quite literally no bearing on the in-game events whatsoever. All the misery in South Underrail is because of the uprising against Biocorp and most people don't even know there's a surface, or at least don't think about it. You could easily assume there was no apocalypse and people always lived underground, it wouldn't change much.

Trashos

Arcane
Underrail is kind of unique in that regard because the apocalypse happened so long ago it has quite literally no bearing on the in-game events whatsoever. All the misery in South Underrail is because of the uprising against Biocorp and most people don't even know there's a surface, or at least don't think about it. You could easily assume there was no apocalypse and people always lived underground, it wouldn't change much.

Yes, we could say that there were 2 apocalypses in UR, and we are in the aftermath of the second one. Whether the first apocalypse has anything to do with anything remains to be seen, as there are still questions to be answered.

Still, an approaching FO fan will probably be wondering if there are destroyed vaults and rat caves to be explored. And the answer is Yes!.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started playing this game two days ago and I'm hooked. Barely 5-10 hours into the game and it's already one of the best games I've played in a while. I hope more is done with this universe.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Farewell into the night

Ok, I gave the game a try, but everything looks so small in high resolutions. The lower ones look like garbage. I want to zoom in and keep good texture quality. Can somebody help me?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, I gave the game a try, but everything looks so small in high resolutions. The lower ones look like garbage. I want to zoom in and keep good texture quality. Can somebody help me?
I've found 1080 to be the best, playing on a 14-inch laptop.

Farewell into the night

I play on a 88-inch TV connected to my computer, but thanks for the clue. I'm gonna check out more options.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I play on a 88-inch TV connected to my computer, but thanks for the clue. I'm gonna check out more options.
It seems that, even with PC-exclusive games, clamors for that "consolized UI design" that everyone's talking about are unavoidable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom