Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Announcing Underrail: Infusion, a new standalone Underrail campaign

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Infusion

We've known since last year that Styg was working on a standalone Underrail expansion. The expansion is probably still years away, but as of today it has a name - Underrail: Infusion. By going standalone, Stygian can overhaul their aging engine without having to preserve backwards compatibility with the game's existent content. Among other things, that means significantly improved visuals:

Back in October I mentioned that we started working on a new standalone Underrail campaign. This is still true, but we've also decided that we're going to give the engine a major upgrade which will help us create a much better game, both visually and mechanically. The thing is - there are certain design and technical decisions that were made early during the development of Underrail that are very limiting to us now, but are not easy to change just due to the amount of content that would have to be redone. So instead of taking a hammer to our beloved game, we're going to improve upon all these things (that we yearned to do for years) in a fresh stand-alone game that will still be based on the same engine core and gameplay mechanics. We call this game Underrail: Infusion.

I'm not going to list all the things that we intend to change/improve upon in Infusion, but I will say that they include both the visuals, as well as mechanics and world design. I'm going to try to post more frequent dev logs, as I did back in Underrail's alpha days, as to keep you guys in the loop. All that you see in these early days you should consider to be work-in-progress. I don't expect we're going to enter full production any time soon - not this year, for sure, as for now we're just focusing on improving the engine, the toolset and optimizing the content pipelines.

First thing I want to show you are the new environment graphics. Keep in mind that Infusion will be taking place in a completely different part of Underrail, so this is not a rework of any existing tile set, but a new one.

I've done a lot of work on the rendering engine and the way the assets are organized and rendered which allows Mac to more easily produce and organize a bunch of different variations of the same object, and also to easily animate them or give them other visual properties and behaviors without having to go into the gameplay code. Inversely, gameplay stuff can now be easily implemented before the assets themselves are made as they are only loosely coupled. This is going to greatly improve our efficiency when churning out new content. Technically, we're sticking with the same tile size (96x48) but we're going to make the tile relatively smaller in regards to objects, that is, everything is going to get bigger, which will increase the graphical fidelity. This is going to affect various combat mechanics as well, but we're discuss this at a later date.

That's it for now. We have more exciting stuff that we've been working on in the meantime as well, but it's not quite ready to be shown still. Let us know how you guys like the new visuals.

Also, in a few months you can expect the new content update for Underrail. This one is probably going to be released on experimental branch first and will stay there for a while, just due to the nature of the gameplay changes I've made. I'm sure you'll all be very happy with the changes, but just in case you might want to experience psionic characters in their current form before that happens.
Underrail had monthly development updates back in the day. It'd be nice to go back to that.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm sure you'll all be very happy with the changes, but just in case you might want to experience psionic characters in their current form before that happens.

RIP cave wizards.. :negative:

aratuk

Cipher
Shall we call it… Underrail 2?

What are sequels, if not "standalone expansions"? I bet that by the time they're done, it will have quite enough content in its own right.

SenisterDenister

Educated
It isn't a sequel in that it doesn't follow the main protagonist of the first, especially after the cliffhanger the game gives you. This is a separate story in the same universe, which may tie in to the main story in general but it doesn't reflect the shenanigans your dude got up to in the base game and expedition. It's a sidequel.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sometimes I wish Styg goes the way Pathfinder shills went begging for money on kickstarter. On the other hand it turned out Pathfinder couldn’t invent anything better than cliched nostalgia ridden amusement park.

Instant buy, Styg.

Black Angel

Arcane
Sometimes I wish Styg goes the way Pathfinder shills went begging for money on kickstarter. On the other hand it turned out Pathfinder couldn’t invent anything better than cliched nostalgia ridden amusement park.

Instant buy, Styg.
Nah, just tip the word to our favorite Ugandan Warlord™ (or/AND maybe even him on his meds) and the money will flow like a flooded river.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
As long as it will no go for a retarded 3D engine, and if it finally will acknowledge the resolution of modern monitors (i.e. bigger/scalable UI, fonts and everything else), it will be incline.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Will this be 3D like BG3?
leaked screenshot
Hcg63MI.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
There ought to be a separate forum subsection for Underrail and Grimoire only. :obviously: And keep all the Pathfinders, PoEs and DOS'es elsewhere with other mediocrities.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
We've known since last year that Styg was working on a standalone Underrail expansion. The expansion is probably still years away, but as of today it has a name - Underrail: Infusion. By going standalone, Stygian can overhaul their aging engine without having to preserve backwards compatibility with the game's existent content.

Okay, so does that mean I can finally play Underrail now? No more significant updates for the base game in the pipeline?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom