Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail is actually quite good

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Underrail's writing is fine for what it is, which is an excuse to explore caverns and kill creatures and people in your way.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So yes, in other words, not a storyfag game in the slighest. If you want good writing and an engaging story, stay away. IF you want combat/exploration, dive in.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So yes, in other words, not a storyfag game in the slighest. If you want good writing and an engaging story, stay away. IF you want combat/exploration, dive in play Jagged Alliance 2

Fixed that for you, pleb.

Vrab

Learned
So yes, in other words, not a storyfag game in the slighest. If you want good writing and an engaging story, stay away. IF you want combat/exploration, dive in play Jagged Alliance 2

Fixed that for you, pleb.

Why would playing JA2 and Underrail be in some sort of mutually exclusive relation? I played JA2 20 years ago, later I played Underrail. What's the problem?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Why would playing JA2 and Underrail be in some sort of mutually exclusive relation? I played JA2 20 years ago, later I played Underrail. What's the problem?

"I drove a Maserati 20 years ago, now I drive a Kia, what's the problem."

Fuck off, dickhead.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape

"I drove a Maserati 20 years ago, now I drive a Kia, what's the problem."

Fuck off, dickhead.

"My taste is stuck in the past, and I see everything through the lens of nostalgia, what is the problem"

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
"My taste is stuck in the past, and I see everything through the lens of nostalgia, what is the problem"

I see why you are tagged shitposter. Anyone who posts JA2 > Underrail "due to nostalgia" automatically is.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape

I see why you are tagged shitposter. Anyone who posts JA2 > Underrail "due to nostalgia" automatically is.

I don't recall ever saying that.

You are getting a little worked up. Feel free to revisit this post after the PMS winds down.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I played a good game nearly 20 years ago, so the idea of playing a game that's good but not as good in certain aspects is ridiculous. I have a ceiling to stare at.

Got over 100 hours in Underrail now. Still a lot of stuff left. It's a very huge game. I don't think I will even go through every single map, especially those warehouse in-between maps, of which there are a so many.

Some bad parts:

The Gauntlet is pretty retarded imho. I hate speed constraints in games in general, as they always lead to frustration and annoyance. It should've just been a nice obstacle course with challenging enemies and puzzles or something, the timing element makes it annoying.

Finding Cornell and his gang - I actually had to google this, because after searching the sewers (and the entire Core City before that, before I got instructions from Coretech), I could not find it at all. I walked by that place several times, but didn't realize that the zone edge loading area was not showing in red because of the fumes from the toxic barrels. I just assumed there was no zone transition there. Not a big fan of such "puzzles".

How do you defeat the doppleganger spell? I came up on those 4 Tchortists that stole the thingamajig. I have a gun-slinger build with a pistol, super high initiative. Went first, shot adrenaline, loaded AP ammo before fight because their leader has some heavy armor, so one 3 shot zinger takes him out, then 2 follow up shots take out the other 2. The last one casts that Doppleganger spell on me. I took him out next round, and ran away. Jumping through 2 zones, escaped the dopplers, and came back later. But there is gotta be a better way.

The Gauntlet is pretty retarded imho. I hate speed constraints in games in general, as they always lead to frustration and annoyance. It should've just been a nice obstacle course with challenging enemies and puzzles or something, the timing element makes it annoying.
actually there is no timing element until last challenge. Im not sure it can be won if you have no keys

There is. The longer you stay in each room, the harder the next room becomes. I ran into the psychic beetles room the first time, quickly, and there were like 5-6 bugs.

Then, on another run, I ran into it after I took my time in the previous room, and there was a ridiculous number of them, something like 20-30 beetles.

How do you defeat the doppleganger spell?
run. I think electric and psi can be used to kill it but at this point i cant remember.

That's what I do now, but figured there is a better way.

Dux

Arcane
While playing I never could shake the feeling that with Underrail's graphics and such, you could make a pretty kickass Alien RPG.

Might just be me, though.

Underrail is definitely a good game. What it has going for it is a real sense of a world/region, with lots of interconnected maps and levels together creating a faux open world. It also has fun combat, exploration, loot, and character development.

On the down side, the lack of an interesting story combined with the dark cramped setting and constant loading screens due to small maps do tend to sap some measure of fun out of the experience.

Have to say, the later parts of Underrail get pretty hard. I am playing on Hard, and Tchortist Institute is becoming a pain. First, I had to clear out Utility Station 7, and it had like 12 or so lunatics, all with high damage and cc. I have a frail gunslinger build, so no way I could take all of them at once. Went back to the Armory, bought all their mines, and booby trapped half the floor on that level. The ensuing fireworks were fun.

Then I ran into the nutjob Mafeo with his harem of Death Stalkers. Almost won it at some point using some traps as well for cc, but the 2000th death stalker got me. Need more traps.

Well, chalk me up for another casualty claimed by Deep Caverns.

The mushroom forest was annoying enough, but then the first Biocorp map ... Waves of tchort-spawn spawning out of thin air, my build was definitely not meant for that kind of shit. This is obviously bad design, have something work for 90% of the game, but then change things up in the end, so it doesn't anymore.

Anyways, quality game, shit last part, guessing not a lot of people finished it, as DC would take some sort of masochist with a lot of free time to go through, or one of those power-gamers.

Sykar

Arcane
Well, chalk me up for another casualty claimed by Deep Caverns.

The mushroom forest was annoying enough, but then the first Biocorp map ... Waves of tchort-spawn spawning out of thin air, my build was definitely not meant for that kind of shit. This is obviously bad design, have something work for 90% of the game, but then change things up in the end, so it doesn't anymore.

Anyways, quality game, shit last part, guessing not a lot of people finished it, as DC would take some sort of masochist with a lot of free time to go through, or one of those power-gamers.

Or Stealth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom