Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So with the 25% penalty to health for Psi and CON being kind of a dump stat too (for certain builds), it's probably discouraged to mix psi with melee?

I had some fun with stealth/knife/metathermics guy, with 8 WIL / 5 INT. But 25% would mean more than 100 hp down from 450.
So now i am considering to dump WIL and go INT and fully specialize in crafting instead... So more of a pure build.

I am wondering where the 25% penalty comes from? Was Psi super overpowered, never tried full Psi myself.

Why would that be discouraged? PSI/melee was one of not THE strongest build in alpha. 25 % penalty won't mean much. PSI will still be super strong. It has so many disables/stuns, and melee is crazy with low AP cost
Oh crap, i forgot, that Psi crowd control was a central part, atleast for me... I guess i'll keep to my fav build then.

epeli

Arcane
epeli can you put your charbuilder on some prominent place in official forum?

IIRC it has a thread in there... somewhere. And it's on my signature. Added it to my 'dex signature as well. But I guess everyone disables forum signatures.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So with the 25% penalty to health for Psi and CON being kind of a dump stat too (for certain builds), it's probably discouraged to mix psi with melee?
<snip>
I am wondering where the 25% penalty comes from? Was Psi super overpowered, never tried full Psi myself.

Will have to wait 'til release, but I really don't think psi/melee will be impossible. Still sounds pretty fun actually.

As for the penalty, I kind of think it was needed. Without it, there really wasn't any drawback to taking psi and the only reason for not taking it was simply voluntarily handicaping your character.
With the penalty there's at least -some- reason not to pick psi-powers; although to be honest I still don't really see myself making a character without it; as mentioned above, the crowd control aspect of it still seems too good to pass on... Then again, playing without it would make combat so much different (and probably more challenging) I'm now starting to get intrigued by this a bizarre idea.

As someone who folllows game's development in last 3 years, I would say that first I thought that Psi build was fun and powerful, interesting to play.
Then I have found about melee unarmed... You already know what I mean?
I thought that there is nothing better then this, and then I found out about pistol build...
Then I read patchnote about feats, that made crossbows an interesting choice I want to try later.
This is what Underrail is.
Would :bro: if I could.

epeli

Arcane
Is it possible to use custom portraits?
Yes
Is that right? Are there other portraits in the game? Like for NPCs and stuff? If I'm going to go portrait shopping I want to know what kind of art style to match.

Yup. Codex already has an avatar gallery with most Underrail alpha portraits, check those out of the art style. On the technical side, you can use 100x100 px PNG (or larger as long as it's square) with transparent background - the game will automatically add a background and lighting to the portrait depending on the area.

Someone on the underrail forums also made a thread for custom portraits, but you probably can't see all attachments without registering/logging in there: http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=1304.0

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, most/all NPCs and enemies now have their own portraits. For example:

472e24d7df.png
916b03f96a.png
14825bb721.png
6e3d204f7c.png
f62fa774ff.png
6dc282cf43.png

Both the player's and NPCs' portraits are drawn from a large pool of generic portraits. In the NPCs' case, these generally match their model and displayed equipment.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That portrait stuff ... is super cool. Dynamic backgrounds for custom portraits, I would never have thought that was in scope for this type of game. :o

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That portrait stuff ... is super cool. Dynamic backgrounds for custom portraits, I would never have thought that was in scope for this type of game. :o

Dynamic backgrounds and, optionally, lighting that matches the general atmospheric lighting of the current area.

Oh wait, guess Epeli already mentioned that. Anyway, it's pretty neat.

epeli

Arcane

You underestimate Styg. He doesn't simply copy what has already been done, he improves upon that - with almost zero budget and manpower.

epeli, does suppressive fire trigger opportunist?

It should. IIRC there was a bug about it at some point (might be in the latest alpha), but that's been fixed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

You underestimate Styg. He doesn't simply copy what has already been done, he improves upon that - with almost zero budget and manpower.

The lack of crawling and gratuitous death animations is a bit of a shame. They were intentionally left out due to cost and manpower. Those are the only two things I can think of that one might really "miss" in Underrail.

epeli

Arcane
The lack of crawling and gratuitous death animations is a bit of a shame. They were intentionally left out due to cost and manpower. Those are the only two things I can think of that one might really "miss" in Underrail.

True, character animations are costly in many ways when you use 2D sprites. A little something was done to the death animations after the last alpha release, but don't expect Bloody Mess.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just discovered my monitor has smart scaling (or whatever it's called). I'm playing Underrail at 720p and everything scaled perfectly. Fonts are perfectly readable now :incline:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I just discovered my monitor has smart scaling (or whatever it's called). I'm playing Underrail at 720p and everything scaled perfectly. Fonts are perfectly readable now :incline:

How are you using smart scaling? And what exact 720p res are you using? :)

Have people tried doing "GPU scaling" in monitor options? Does that work the same way as smart scaling on display?

Would like a guide to get the best play experience out of UR

Last edited by a moderator:

Shin

Cipher
aka 1280×720, aka the 17" inch max display resolution iirc. or was that 15" inch? my memory is so foggy because of the drugs

Fry

Arcane
Jesus, people....

720p = 1280x720 at 16:9 or the much less common 1152x720 at 16:10. It has nothing to do with screen size.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I had some fun with stealth/knife/metathermics guy, with 8 WIL / 5 INT. But 25% would mean more than 100 hp down from 450.
So now i am considering to dump WIL and go INT and fully specialize in crafting instead... So more of a pure build.

Honestly, the nerf isn't going to matter much. With the amount of CC a Psi user has + shields it won't make any difference. Most fights are over before the enemy even gets to have a chance at attacking you.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, fallout style death animations would have been the cherry on top of the motherfucking underrail cake
I wonder how close to JA2 combat Styg could manage to get a potential UnderRail sequal.
With added death animation, goes without saying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom