Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Flatlander

Liturgist
Styg said:
I realized the problem with the shots I posted is that aren't any light sources, so they are all at about 65% illumination which is currently the starting value for areas like this.
In that case it's fine and you can forget everything I said ;)

quasimodo

Augur
villain of the story said:
Switch to turn-based before it's too late.

Having something that looks like this being RTwP is rubbing salt in the wounds of TB gamers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'd prefer TB combat too, but you just control one character in this game, real time is fine.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I know, it's pointless to argue with morons. :smug:

Some people have in their mind that adding turns is the magical solution to make combat more tactical, what can we do.

MCA
LOL

It's extra funny when retards go all smug

Retard.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Eh? I'm being serious.

Real time combat works in this sort of game because you only control one character fighting against half a dozen enemies, therefore it won't turn into a clusterfuck and micromanagement fest like in a RTS or RTwP party-based RPG.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
(continuing from here)

Changing the name of the game

First, I’d like to apologize for the silence of the development log in the past six months or so. There have been some setbacks, but the development of the game hasn’t stopped. I promise to put more effort into providing info on the game’s progress on a more regular basis in the future.

Secondly, I’ve decided to change the name of the game to “Underrail”, which is the name of the underground metro system the game takes place in. While there is a greater, sort of background plot that concerns the nature of time, the game is largely about the Underrail itself - its inhabitants, politics, strife, dangers, mysteries, as well as the player’s place within all this.

The new website is http://www.underrail.com (or will be once DNS kicks in).

Human character models

Of course, this isn’t the only thing I did in the past six months of silence. With the old title I also got rid of the placeholder human and creature sprites - so no more blockmen and disproportionally large head quadrupeds.

Here’s a sample of what the new human models look like.

HumanModels1.gif

Unlike the tileset graphics, these are modeled in 3D and then prerendered as spritesheets. While they may not blend perfectly with the surrounding graphics, this is the best way for providing all the armor-weapon variations graphics while keeping the art budget in check.

So it seems that Desura has gone bankrupt

For those that have Underrail on Desura, no worries. Styg has provided a steam key for everyone. Go to http://www.desura.com/collection , log in and claim your key.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Oh! How nice to see this project pop up again :)
Would love to see some screens on how those 3d models blend with the 2d. What tools do you use for the characters?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This looks frigging sweet Styg - glad your project still is on-going!

The models look fine to me, but could use some extra detail here and there to me - doesn't even need further 3d modelling, just small details on the texture. ;)

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Oh! How nice to see this project pop up again :)
Would love to see some screens on how those 3d models blend with the 2d. What tools do you use for the characters?
Screens are coming when I'm able to showcase new areas.

Just to be clear I didn't make these. I have very little skill in 3D modelling. :)

As far as I know it's modeled, textured and rendered entirely in Blender.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
This looks frigging sweet Styg - glad your project still is on-going!

The models look fine to me, but could use some extra detail here and there to me - doesn't even need further 3d modelling, just small details on the texture. ;)

Thanks. :)

You're right that some models could use some more details. But in general I've went with more basic look to fit better with the environmental tileset.

curry

Arcane
Looks good, I hope the new graphics work out well.

I'm not sure if I like the name change, though. Underrail sounds too generic.

MCA
"Underrail" sounds like shit. If you think that main story or the core of the game will be too far from sci-fi (or whatever) to waste such a cool name as Timelapse Vertigo, that's fine but find a better name. Underrail? LOL. More like Undefail.

I like the new models but I was quite ok with the placeholders. I thought they had a retro character.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I liked the Timelapse: Vertigo better. But in the end, it's just a name.

It's fine if you want to make turn-based combat, and fine if you don't. The bottom line is that it has to be fun, and something that works well with the rest of the engine/feel/etc.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Weapon Classes and Skills

There are essentially eight weapon classes in Underrail: pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, sniper rifles, crossbows, knives, sledgehammers, and miscellaneous melee weapons (such as a crowbar).

The last three are covered by a single skill – melee - which also includes unarmed combat.

Crossbow is a class of its own. I intend it to be a different kind of weapon from the rest of the ranged weapons; one that makes up for its lower damage output with additional utility and shield mitigation.

The rest of the weapons mentioned above are the usual ranged firearms (though some will have energy based variants as well). Originally, they each had their own skill, but after a while I realized that wouldn’t work well for two main reasons:
  1. I want to introduce different weapon classes gradually during the early game, but the player would be asked to invest skill points in a certain weapon class immediately which would often leave him with two options: waste skill points in the early game to be proficient in a weapon you might not use later or spend skill points only in the chose weapon class and struggle until you obtain that weapon.
  2. Some weapons (assault and sniper rifles) will have naturally higher damage output than others (pistols, SMGs). The latter will still be viable damage-wise in the late game and might bring additional utility; however, for a character that wants to max out their pure weapon damage, rifles will be superior. So these should require more training to be used, but with originally, it’s just as easy to spend points in rifles as in pistols.
So I decided to merge these four skills into a single skill called ‘Guns’. This solved the first problem.

Then I introduced minimum weapon skill requirement for using different weapon types. This requirement is based on the weapon class (pistols - requirement, SMGs - low, rifles - medium) and weapon level. This will ensure that only those characters that spend a lot of points in Guns will be able to effectively use the most powerful weapons, while other characters can decide how much they want to spend in this skill to supplement their other damage sources.

By the way, not meeting the minimal skill requirement for a weapon will not prevent you from equipping the weapon, but give you an increased chance to miss (which increases with skill discrepancy).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom