Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Parabalus

Arcane
Playing first time and I have a few questions about my build:

1) I decided on going PSI with heavy armor, I put STR,DEX,AGI,PER all to 3 and went 6 CON 10 INT & WILL. Is that too much dump stating?

2) Skillwise I took all social, psi + mechanics and biology. Is mercantile worth it? Will I be able to spread skills to more than 8 (electronics and chem mostly) later since I have 10 WILL and INT? Will I miss hacking and lockpicking a lot?

3) Feats I took pack rat and snooper. How are PER checks for secrets, will I still miss a lot with 6 effective PER, should I just ignore it?

4) Can I safely go hard the first time?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Constitution is looking to be this games dump stat, maybe will as well.

Good luck playing a Psion without Con or Will.

1) I decided on going PSI with heavy armor, I put STR,DEX,AGI,PER all to 3 and went 6 CON 10 INT & WILL. Is that too much dump stating?

2) Skillwise I took all social, psi + mechanics and biology. Is mercantile worth it? Will I be able to spread skills to more than 8 (electronics and chem mostly) later since I have 10 WILL and INT? Will I miss hacking and lockpicking a lot?

3) Feats I took pack rat and snooper. How are PER checks for secrets, will I still miss a lot with 6 effective PER, should I just ignore it?

1) You need Str for heavy armor. 7 or 8 was the minimum for Metal Armor (I forget how much), 9 was the required amount for the best Metal Armor iirc.

2) The mercantile skill was useless in EA, doubtful that it was improved with the full release. If you are playing a Psion you NEED Electronics, Mechanics, Biology and Tailoring to craft all the Psion enhancing gear.

3) I wouldn't worry about the Perception checks for secrets. They are nice, but not needed. Don't spread yourself too thin for nothing. Enjoy the perk with a later character when you use guns or something, because they need Perception anyway.

4) I wouldn't recommend it. I'd first learn the game so you understand how to make an effective build. The game is challenging enough on Normal anyway if you are a first timer running with a sub-optimal build.

Last edited:

Polanski

Scholar

Just my quite newb oppions.

I think STR is a must for Heavy Armor. You also don't need 6 CON and 10 INT for a full sci build.
Maybe focus on dodge/evasion for defences (with some added dex) or up the strength to be able to rely on heavy armor.
I also think it could be a good idea to have some fallback options for offence, so you don't have to rely completely on PSI, especially on hard. Choose the corresponding stat of STR, DEX or PER to not dump.
Unarmed melee Works very well with psychokinesis.
I think some agility is a good idea as well.

Wait with adding skills to crafting and social, untill you have your defence and offence skills sorted. I was not able to find room for any crafting in my psi build with dodge/evasion.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Mercantile is pretty useless imo, there's really plenty of money to go around. (Together with pickpocketing maybe the two most useless skills, though I may be proven wrong about this later.)
You will be able to spread to more than 8 skills because of base stat modifiers, synergies and because some skills (crafting in your case, otherwise also hacking and lockpicking because of mark II/III tools) don't really need to be maxed out to be awesome.
Hacking and lockpicking will be missed only if you (like many of the OCD people here) can't stand leaving behind locked containers. You'll also not be able to use some shortcuts or stuff like that, but nothing major.
Dumping PER will miss out one some secrets but not too much imo. Traps and hidden enemies can be dangerous, but well... every build has its advantages and disadvantages.

4. You'll still die less than in AoD.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hacking has more useful options than Lockpicking because you can mess around with security activating / deactivating turrets, opening some doors and powering up Elevators. Lockpicking can open some doors and containers (as can hacking), but most of the containers seem to roll for worse loot than the ones that require Hacking do. I'm not sure this is just bad luck since this has been consistently my experience after playing UnderRail for 50 hours. Hacking can open far more important doors as well, I find. Lockpicking is a skill that you can safely ignore, but Hacking has more going on for it than just neurotic box opening.

roshan

Arcane
Hi guys - so is pickpocket really that useless? Any other opinions? I quite like it so far.....

Also - how do I raid containers that are being watched? I tried entering stealth mode and looting containers, but combat always starts when I do (I'm assuming that as long as the sign over a character is grey, they don't see me?)....

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hi guys - so is pickpocket really that useless? Any other opinions? I quite like it so far......
Why do you like pickpocketing? Have you gotten anything really good from it you wouldn't otherwise be able to repeatedly get had you spent the points on crafting?
Honestly the reason I think it's useless is because I just, well, can't think of a useful reason to take it (over any other skill). I've never really not had enough money except maybe the first few levels.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hi guys - so is pickpocket really that useless? Any other opinions? I quite like it so far......
Why do you like pickpocketing? Have you gotten anything really good from it you wouldn't otherwise be able to repeatedly get had you spent the points on crafting?
Honestly the reason I think it's useless is because I just, well, can't think of a useful reason to take it (over any other skill). I've never really not had enough money except maybe the first few levels.

The only thing worthwhile, for pickpocketing, is the oddities you can get, like scrapper insignia from scrappers and so on.

roshan

Arcane
Right now I'm more inclined to scrap stealth if it doesn't help with looting containers because it's probably too much hassle. I'm using the following build:

STR 3, WIS 3, CON 3, DEX 9, PER 9, INT 7, AGI 7

Skills: guns, mechanics, electronics, tailoring, stealth, lockpick, hacking, pickpocket, evasion

Perks: recklessness (is this actually useful?) and aimed shot.

epeli

Arcane
Hi guys - so is pickpocket really that useless? Any other opinions? I quite like it so far.....

Also - how do I raid containers that are being watched? I tried entering stealth mode and looting containers, but combat always starts when I do (I'm assuming that as long as the sign over a character is grey, they don't see me?)....

Go for it if you like it - it's definitely not useless. You end up getting more ammo and meds than you can ever use or sell. There are also a handful of oddities that can be only acquired by pickpocketing.

Silver eye icon means the NPC has true-sight (sees through stealth) - things like stationary defenses often have that. Green/yellow/orange/red eye icons are the normal detection states. As long as it's not red or silver, you aren't seen.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Just crafted this baby, its a goddamn death machine

underrail_crossbow.png

Shin

Cipher
How does one break the rocks/walls which you can target? I've tried using explosives to no avail.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
How does one break the rocks/walls which you can target? I've tried using explosives to no avail.

C4, you will be able to buy it or craft it later when your done with the junkyard section (if i remember correctly). You place it on the ground near the rocks and set the timer.

epeli

Arcane

TNT Charges or Jackhammer. You'll get them later on, after you're done with Junkyard and the Armadillo drill parts.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Why do gloves increase the AP of hand to hand attacks? That makes no sense.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Btw just a little brotip, but if you unload bullets out of a gun (right click the weapon) the gun will still sell for the same price, but you'll be able to pawn off the bullets as well.

roshan

Arcane
When does the Psi Empathy feat kick in? I took the pill, but when do I actually lose the 25% HP? When I put points into psi?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, is crafting p. much an all-or-nothing affair? Either you go for it and get a couple skills and some feats, or you avoid it? Or is it worth dipping into one or two crafting skills?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Why do gloves increase the AP of hand to hand attacks? That makes no sense.
Because they serve as a weapon in unarmed attacks and increase the damage and allow you to have additional effects on them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So, is crafting p. much an all-or-nothing affair? Either you go for it and get a couple skills and some feats, or you avoid it? Or is it worth dipping into one or two crafting skills?

Nah, you can get away with just the skills if you want. Everything you make will be better than the stuff you find. Adding feats will just make the gear godlike.

Luzur

Good Sir
Guys, GUYS!

I managed to get my hands on a Proton Pistol, and later on i scrounged up cash for a proton pack (the recharge ball thing) but how do i recharge the damn thing?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Guys, GUYS!

I managed to get my hands on a Proton Pistol, and later on i scrounged up cash for a proton pack (the recharge ball thing) but how do i recharge the damn thing?
Uh, you reload laser/electric/plasma pistols with normal and upgraded batteries, the same stuff you use for the Haxxor Tool and nightvision googles. That blue Energy Core is a crafting component.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom