Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Piotrovitz

Savant
Wouldn't that be awesome?

With dual wield mechanics they could even go for something like this as a special feat:

Baraka-Special-Move.jpg

Piotrovitz

Savant
Finished the game yesterday on Hard with my glass SMG char and here are couple of reflections on this build:

- Tchort went down in two turns - I had to reload once, because the mind control tentacle used bilocation and the doppelganger raped me just after I finished the Eye. On second try I just whacked this tentacle first thing, then rushed for the Eye. I haven't done the mutagen puzzle nor blow up the mutagen tanks, wanted to see how tough he is in full strength.

- Suppresive fire + Opportunist combo is just too good. This, along with Commando/Spec Ops/Hit-and-Run and good positioning, makes most fights end in 1-3 turns

- MK IV grenades with Grenadier/Three Pointer combo can trivialize most of the fights.

- Despite having high stealth, I rarely used it before DC. With high initiative, I opened most of the fights by rushing in, throwing frag grenade, shooting burst and hiding behind the corner/doorway. It gets the shit done in majority of enocunters. Never used siilencers either, even in densely concentrated areas like Emporium or Warehouse Beta.

- Invested 35 points in biology to get jumping beans, but always forgot to use them. Drug of choice was always adrenaline.

- Smart modules/googles are everything.

- Early game (low evasion/dodge, no shield) you're reloading a lot. Bumping into hidden melee lurker or getting shot with shock bolt is instant death sentence.

Overall, it's extremely rewarding build to play. After lvl 10-12 it's an easy smooth sail, but you still maintain the fun and adrenaline in each fight.

Sykar

Arcane
Finished the game yesterday on Hard with my glass SMG char and here are couple of reflections on this build:

- Tchort went down in two turns - I had to reload once, because the mind control tentacle used bilocation and the doppelganger raped me just after I finished the Eye. On second try I just whacked this tentacle first thing, then rushed for the Eye. I haven't done the mutagen puzzle nor blow up the mutagen tanks, wanted to see how tough he is in full strength.

- Suppresive fire + Opportunist combo is just too good. This, along with Commando/Spec Ops/Hit-and-Run and good positioning, makes most fights end in 1-3 turns

- MK IV grenades with Grenadier/Three Pointer combo can trivialize most of the fights.

- Despite having high stealth, I rarely used it before DC. With high initiative, I opened most of the fights by rushing in, throwing frag grenade, shooting burst and hiding behind the corner/doorway. It gets the shit done in majority of enocunters. Never used siilencers either, even in densely concentrated areas like Emporium or Warehouse Beta.

- Invested 35 points in biology to get jumping beans, but always forgot to use them. Drug of choice was always adrenaline.

- Smart modules/googles are everything.

- Early game (low evasion/dodge, no shield) you're reloading a lot. Bumping into hidden melee lurker or getting shot with shock bolt is instant death sentence.

Overall, it's extremely rewarding build to play. After lvl 10-12 it's an easy smooth sail, but you still maintain the fun and adrenaline in each fight.

I see what you did there.
:troll:

Trashos

Arcane
I am in favour of the reported changes in the economy. The proof is in the pudding, of course, but I have seen such changes work well in a New Vegas mod (called "Economy Overhaul").

Right now there are many heavy but expensive items you can sell to make money (guns/armors). It was the same in NV. By dropping their price considerably (that's what is being done, right?), at some turning point their weight makes players decide "I don't really have to carry this, I 'm not going to make much of it anyway" OR invest in Mercantile. So it is all about reaching that turning point.

This method worked for FONV, and hopefully it will work for Underrail too.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Economy in any cRPG will always be broken if you don't have anything worthwhile and expensive to buy at vendors.

Dropping selling prices will only slow down wealth accumulation and make early game, where you don't have good loot yet, a bit more difficult, but that's all. Mid/late game you will still be swimming in money you can't spend anywhere, because there isn't anything interesting to buy. As I said in earlier post, good solution imo would be to:

1. Significantly bump up prices of stuff you usually really need, i.e super steel and w2c bullets. Make adrenaline shots harder to find/craft and bump up their prices. Make some good blueprints accessible only at vendors and make them cost like 5-10k each etc etc.

2. Add unique weapons/armors/bullets/etc to some vendors' stocks. Make them uber expensive and providing useful bonuses you wouldn't get by crafting. This will give you something to aim for in the long run and make money accumulation process worthwile. Again - think Robe of Vecna.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Right now there are many heavy but expensive items you can sell to make money (guns/armors). It was the same in NV. By dropping their price considerably (that's what is being done, right?), at some turning point their weight makes players decide "I don't really have to carry this, I 'm not going to make much of it anyway"
Note that majority of expensive loot are not heavy weapons and armors, but electronic/psi stuff/components, which weight is close to none.

Trashos

Arcane
Note that majority of expensive loot are not heavy weapons and armors, but electronic/psi stuff/components, which weight is close to none.

It doesn't look like that in my games. Yes, lightweight electronics IS a good source of income, but most of my income seems to come from weapons/armor. In particular, the easiest way to make a fortune for my crafting builds is the following process:

1) Loot all guns and armor.
2) Turn the cheap guns/armors into repair kits. Use said kits to repair the expensive gear to full condition (and price).
3) Empty the weapon merchant cash resisters by selling them the ridiculously expensive repaired guns/armors. I make the trade matched by also buying some bullets (to sell to general stores) or buying some crafting components in order to build other expensive gear to sell to someone else. Additional repair kits can be sold as such at various merchants.

This process works even with 0 Merc (of course it assumes a crafting build), and works for my STR 3 loot carrying capacity characters too.

I believe this is the #1 reason for the economy problems, simply because there are so many armors/guns to loot (and gets worse in higher difficulties, as there are more enemies). That said, if this doesn't fix the economy on its own, I wouldn't mind seeing the electronics prices adjusted down as well. They probably should be adjusted down.

I doubt that open world game economies can be perfectly adjusted, but I think this new direction is the best case scenario. It is a very different game if we become filthy rich right when the game opens up (as it happens now, right after the metro becomes available) vs when we are L20+ and ready to go to DC.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Ah, forgot that you can repair stuff to get higher selling price. Never bothered with this myself, since you can use money as a toilet paper by mid game anyway.

Another good economy fix, beside two I mentioned above, would be to have weapon merchants buying only top shelf stuff, i.e modded guns made of HQ components,. That would prevent you from stockpiling 5mm hawkers and other junk.

Parabalus

Arcane
Why do anything to the economy when it will just lead to less fun decking out your house/jet and crafting stuff?

You need very little money to finish the game, but spending it on minutae decorations and minor quality improvements is exciting.

You'd have to drop the price to 5% on dominating for it to be really painful, and some builds don't even need any money really.

Trashos

Arcane
Well, the Merc skill is not especially useful currently, which is bad for C&C when designing builds. I think it would be great if this skill was more competitive.

Also, in my current playthrough (for example) I am L21 with 53k in my inventory, the house fully equipped, and half a dozen steel plates made. It is too much, and it's been too convenient from quite early. My Mercantile is 10, btw, almost nothing.

What is the point of having an economy if you don't make it a bit tough? I don't mind being filthy rich *towards the end*, that should be how it goes. But currently we can become filthy rich very early. As soon as the game opens up.

Parabalus

Arcane
Well, the Merc skill is not especially useful currently, which is bad for C&C when designing builds. I think it would be great if this skill was more competitive.

Also, in my current playthrough (for example) I am L21 with 53k in my inventory, the house fully equipped, and half a dozen steel plates made. It is too much, and it's been too convenient from quite early. My Mercantile is 10, btw, almost nothing.

What is the point of having an economy if you don't make it a bit tough? I don't mind being filthy rich *towards the end*, that should be how it goes. But currently we can become filthy rich very early. As soon as the game opens up.

That's a low amount of plates, if you want to make 5-6 items from Q150+ SS you need 20-30 plates.

Anyway, the way it's done is kinda pointless IMO, at one point you just have massive amounts of loot dumped at each traders feet, which you sell each time you're passing by.

Trashos

Arcane
I don't need 20-30 steel plates for this build (it's a psi build walking around in tactical vests), but you can see that I have the money to cover many more steel plates. And I am only at the point where I am about to enter the Tchort Institute. And all this happened without any significant Merc skill.

Anyway, my point is that I have seen the reported new systems work well elsewhere (New Vegas), that's why I welcome them as a first reaction. Whether they can be combined successfully with Underrail's current systems remains to be seen. I believe that they can, in principle.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will the upcoming, not released Underrail DLC lead to another Balkan War? Styg you're the only guy that can prevent it, tensions are rising.

Ent

Savant
I would love to alpha test. I dream of recreating my time manipulating swordsman from arcanum once the expansion is actually out.

Barbalos

Savant
^ I would also love to alpha, or beta test, this game. I love it. I'm doing a similar thing as Ent, pure melee.

Edit: the only thing I really despise about this kind of build is, that my movement points are so poor. It's 11 atm, pathetic. I can barely move in combat.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I would love to alpha test. I dream of recreating my time manipulating swordsman from arcanum once the expansion is actually out.

^ I would also love to alpha, or beta test, this game. I love it. I'm doing a similar thing as Ent, pure melee.

Edit: the only thing I really despise about this kind of build is, that my movement points are so poor. It's 11 atm, pathetic. I can barely move in combat.

Styg new minions are available.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
So, about the mutagen puzzle. I peaked in on what it's all about and i don't want to waste time on it. I get, some of you love to draw maps with crayons and make spreadsheets, while alt-tabbing from the game, but i don't. Is there an alternative way to get to Черт guy or maybe even cheat that removes this fluff?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Ah ok. Also, what about Tihonohosomething lab with ghostly figures? Is there some essential item that i need to get? It's impossible to get to those chambers without getting detected. Maybe if one spends hours loadscumming, but i don't feel like it. Tbh, i'd beeline to the boss right away, if possible. Got the shrrom thing and some sort of hidraulic parts. Hope that's enough. DC doesn't seem to be hard combat wise (for my build at least) like some people say, but these kind of annoying shenaingans get on my nerves. Why do devs always feel the urge to vomit on their end game i wonder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom