Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
So Versatility is not useless?

From what I see, he plans to be using expose weakness through it. Which isn't a bad way to minimize your special ammo consumption for SMG.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The build is a variation of the one Goromorg posted. I'm not too hot on EWeakness myself, I see the main draw of the build in the ability to maximize Dex at the cost of nothing but Perception (guns, detection)+Commando. That's an easy trade when Dex enables so much skills in this build.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pope Amole II, new builds for the expansion when?

I've received my key yesterday. I can pull them outta my ass and theorycraft like no tomorrow, but do you really want that?

I'll try to do hoplite by tomorrow. Then it's gonna be machete and then shotgun. And an overview for all other classes somewhere in-between.

I take it this is yours:

I had no idea I was talking to youtube royalty. Thank you!

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

Royalty, lol.

No idea part is funny, though - I have my sig and some description under my username too.

Anyway, yeah, did the spear builds + will probably do the ultimate machete rape expert today. Or maybe I'll focus more on yelling as it became much better too. Not sure if it's that viable but better.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Royalty, lol.

No idea part is funny, though - I have my sig and some description under my username too.

Anyway, yeah, did the spear builds + will probably do the ultimate machete rape expert today. Or maybe I'll focus more on yelling as it became much better too. Not sure if it's that viable but better.

You misinterpret me - no idea you were royalty/ have 20+k subscribers, not that you merely had a YouTube account.

Tigranes

Arcane
Still mulling over various shotgun options.

A relatively mobile, temporal+shotgun seems like one popular route to take advantage of new toys? 5 STR & 9 PER being baseline, and I suppose the rest go into DEX for movement and dodge/evasion? I'm wondering if there's a less glassy way to go without becoming full tin can. I don't know if in practice temporal can mitigate a low/medium DEX enough to go the CON route, or if that just becomes a messy shitty hybrid.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My Stealth Shotgun TM/TC build is struggling to get past Depot A hard. I might have to restart and rethink some things.

out of the 3 new weapons; machete is my favourite. the way machete feats work its best to make it AP max crit glasscanon.

im theorycrafting with riot shield/parry/riposte shotty but it isnt very efficent in play tests...

ciox

Liturgist

A relatively mobile, temporal+shotgun seems like one popular route to take advantage of new toys? 5 STR & 9 PER being baseline, and I suppose the rest go into DEX for movement and dodge/evasion? I'm wondering if there's a less glassy way to go without becoming full tin can. I don't know if in practice temporal can mitigate a low/medium DEX enough to go the CON route, or if that just becomes a messy shitty hybrid.
I've tried it and it was pretty good, if I were to redo it, I would reduce WIL and increase CON, since the majority of temporal effects don't benefit all that much from skill anyway. Armor should probably be a light tactical vest.

Sykar

Arcane
My Stealth Shotgun TM/TC build is struggling to get past Depot A hard. I might have to restart and rethink some things.

Can you post your build? I just breezed through it on Autistic with my brand new TM cave wizard and have some experience with the game, maybe I can give you some pointers, cannot say for sure though, and if I cannot help you I am sure someone else can.

Give us some concrete ideas via the character builder, maybe some of us can help. You can also ask on the official Underrail forum, there are some really knowledgeable people there, or ask epeli or Tygrende directly for advice, as much as I dislike them they are some of the most knowledgeable players on the game.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you post your build? I just breezed through it on Autistic with my brand new TM cave wizard and have some experience with the game, maybe I can give you some pointers, cannot say for sure though, and if I cannot help you I am sure someone else can.
I restarted with a new character but it was

Str 6
Dex 3
Agi 6
Con 3
Perception 7
Will 10
Int 5

to start, and I pumped all my points into Will. I was leveling TC and TM. Can't remember my feats off the top but I think almost all of them were Psi-Based. I skill heavy into Lockpicking, Hacking, and Persuasion, so no crafting, and I just feel like a shotgun doesn't mesh well with the build. I beat the game on hard with a TC/Psychokinesis Sniper, and I tried to model my build off of that (just switching in shotgun feats for Sniper ones), and it simply doesn't do enough damage for how glass cannon it is. The Sniper build worked because I was able to kill enmies from a long distance, and then use my Psi abilities to peel and deal with low health enemies that were closing in. The shotgun doesn't seem to have the same damage potential for its high AP costs to make it work well with what I was trying to do.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Shotgun actually has feats you need to get, and a lot more of them than sniper. So 5 Dex, 9 Per and 7 Agi are the stat baseline for any shotty build imo.
Realistically I think you can only build it with TM since it only needs 3 Will, 70 effective skill and 1 feat to get going.

I would say a good starting point is:
str 7
dex 5
agi 7
con 3
per 9
will 3
int 6

But what I don't know is what to do further. Will shotty do enough without further pumping per?

Pope Amole II - since the other builds are done already, shotty today? :D

Sykar

Arcane
I restarted with a new character but it was

Str 6
Dex 3
Agi 6
Con 3
Perception 7
Will 10
Int 5

to start, and I pumped all my points into Will. I was leveling TC and TM. Can't remember my feats off the top but I think almost all of them were Psi-Based. I skill heavy into Lockpicking, Hacking, and Persuasion, so no crafting, and I just feel like a shotgun doesn't mesh well with the build. I beat the game on hard with a TC/Psychokinesis Sniper, and I tried to model my build off of that (just switching in shotgun feats for Sniper ones), and it simply doesn't do enough damage for how glass cannon it is. The Sniper build worked because I was able to kill enmies from a long distance, and then use my Psi abilities to peel and deal with low health enemies that were closing in. The shotgun doesn't seem to have the same damage potential for its high AP costs to make it work well with what I was trying to do.

Biggest problem is that you only have int 5. Premeditation is what can glue the two different parts in a hybrid PSI builds since it removes AP costs. My PSI Sniper had the following distribution at level 1: 5/3/7/3/8/8/6. In the current iteration of the game I end up with 12/12 per and wil. This works because the scaling is completely linear. I made some calculations and it was less than 15% damage loss for both disciplines back then when I went for 10/10, compared to the maximum of 16 in an attribute, in those two primary stats. That easily works because Sniper Rifles have such high base damage and extremely strong Aimed Shot and Snipe attacks which can wipe out most opponents that 15% loss is more than made up by a Premeditation TK punch, especially if you set up the proxy first. Imho you should ditch TM and go for PK. Why? Because it has two irresistible stuns with Imprint and Electrokinesis, the Force Field is a life saver, and Force User feat with double TK punch can murderize most opponents. Not to mention against super tough enemies you can use double Implosion to shave off like 60% of their hitpoints. TM for hybrids probably works best if you go for Evasion/Dodge, have ONLY TM and use stealth only for opening. You would not need sky high willpower for that build, just enough to get a decent value. You could even opt to dump will and primarily use the abilities which do not scale or only partially scale with TM skill level. Let me give you an example:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgY...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMKgAAAAKzkBP2MqwrDCkMKYSw_Chd-_

This is not nearly complete or optimized, I clobbered it together in 5 minutes from my experience with Sniper/PSI hybrid, Assault Rifle user and pure PSI, the tree types I have played most. Basic idea is to use stealth to get into position and blast away, using TM primarily for buffs/debuffs/CC. Since the build won't have LoC it needs something else against stuns at least and Thick Skull is very good there and you can get a metal helmet with shades against disorients. 6 agi for sprint, 6 strength for shotguns, 4 will so you won't get a penalty to TM, though you can live with 3 probably, and 6 Int to help with crafting and get Premeditation, which is core on any build which has PSI, it is that good. 12 perception seems low, but you can further up it to 13 at level 26 with veteran feat and as I said, the damage disparity between max attribute and somewhat less is much less than the value suggests, if it was less than 15% for 10 vs 16 back then then 13 vs 18 is even less, probably around 10%. Imho having such good defenses should help getting up close and personal with shotties. Using PSI purely as support might work better with shotguns as well.
Feel free to adjust it, you can probably get away with not maxing stealth. Rest of the points as you see fit, I would suggest that you try and get decent electronics and mechanics crafting at least, that way you can custom tailor: shotguns, cloaking device, energy shield emitter, taser, googles, psi head band. Basically everything but armor and feet slot. You can opt to get 45 into PK for Force Field, Electrokinesis and Imprint for some more irresistible CC.
I have seen some people opt to go for 75 in TC for LoC. Imho TC is one of the few disciplines which are all or nothing. All of its abilities rely heavily on having a high value in TC to overcome enemy resolve at a very sucess rate. Just getting 75 points into for LoC is a bit of a waste, with that many points already sunk you should go all out. Though for this variant with such low will you would get too many resists on TC CC. If you really want TC you have to dump con and up will, though 10-12 will is usually just enough to get through.
Check out sebas post before mine, some nice info there.

Shotgun actually has feats you need to get, and a lot more of them than sniper. So 5 Dex, 9 Per and 7 Agi are the stat baseline for any shotty build imo.
Realistically I think you can only build it with TM since it only needs 3 Will, 70 effective skill and 1 feat to get going.

I would say a good starting point is:
str 7
dex 5
agi 7
con 3
per 9
will 3
int 6

But what I don't know is what to do further. Will shotty do enough without further pumping per?

Pope Amole II - since the other builds are done already, shotty today? :D

As I mentioned earlier, when I did damage comparisons, or rather damage modification comparisons of skill levels, my Sniper lost less than 15% of his damage at per 10 vs 16. I guess you lose slightly more due to slightly lower hit chance, but that is easily rectified as a sniper with scope and/or bipod and of course you always have 95% against stunned/incapaciated enemies unless you are at extreme range and/or lighting modifiers screwing you over without night vision or light source next to target.

Last edited:

opium fiend

Augur
Help me out. Started this in 2016, stopped a bit, heard that an expansion was on its way soon (lol) and decided to wait for it. Now that it's here gonna start over but I can't remember shit. My autism is not of a productive kind and the more I read about builds and shit the less I know how to start. Read some stats are all or nothing and now I'm scared to make a fucking character cause I'll probably fuck it up. What I need:

1) starting stats for a thief/assassin, probably gonna use smgs and maybe sniper? or crossbows? no idea
2) what type of crafting should I dabble in?
3) whatever else you think is worth mentioning. I'm not interested in heavy armor and melee weapons. Not sure about a little psi thrown in.

tnx

Sykar

Arcane
Help me out. Started this in 2016, stopped a bit, heard that an expansion was on its way soon (lol) and decided to wait for it. Now that it's here gonna start over but I can't remember shit. My autism is not of a productive kind and the more I read about builds and shit the less I know how to start. Read some stats are all or nothing and now I'm scared to make a fucking character cause I'll probably fuck it up. What I need:

1) starting stats for a thief/assassin, probably gonna use smgs and maybe sniper? or crossbows? no idea
2) what type of crafting should I dabble in?
3) whatever else you think is worth mentioning. I'm not interested in heavy armor and melee weapons. Not sure about a little psi thrown in.

tnx

Following hybrids work well to my knowledge:
Sniper/PSI
PSI Monk, in other words unarmed+PSI
Probably a few other PSI hybrids

What does not work well are melee/guns or melee/crossbow hybrids. Their stat requirements are too different and do not have something like Premeditation to glue it together. You can ask sebas about a hybrid with Versatility feat, but he uses melee primarily just to apply Expose Weakness. As to crafting, until you have a clear picture what you want it is hard to give you advice. In general electronics and mechanic is always worth it. Almost all weapons, cloaking devices, energy shields, tasers, night vision googles and psi heabdands, with some biology, can be crafted that way. Going for grenades as a supplementary skill chemistry will come in handy, since it allows you to craft the highest levels of grenades way before you can acquire them by concentional means. Biology is good for PSI users up to 70 effective skill for iirc Trance, though only worth it for Psychosis. How do you feel about stealth, do you like the stealth mechanics in this game?

opium fiend

Augur
How do you feel about stealth, do you like the stealth mechanics in this game?

I love stealth, I remember enjoying sneaking around and SMG'ing them one by one. Tossing flashes when space gets crowded. Do you think I should spice that up with xbows or sniper? No melee at all.
I will play on hard/oddity, will min str and con bite hard later on? I'm also not sure what are min stats for essential sneaky feats later on.

edit: decided to ditch psionics altogether. Thinking of investing a bit in chemistry for bombs and electronics/not sure what else. How much int I'll need?

Sykar

Arcane
How do you feel about stealth, do you like the stealth mechanics in this game?

I love stealth, I remember enjoying sneaking around and SMG'ing them one by one. Tossing flashes when space gets crowded. Do you think I should spice that up with xbows or sniper? No melee at all.
I will play on hard/oddity, will min str and con bite hard later on? I'm also not sure what are min stats for essential sneaky feats later on.

edit: decided to ditch psionics altogether. Thinking of investing a bit in chemistry for bombs and electronics/not sure what else. How much int I'll need?

SMG is pretty demanding for stats and it already is close range. You need dex, agi and per already. Throwing fits well. Unless you want crafting feats like Gun Nut you can keep int at 3 or 4.

opium fiend

Augur
What do you think of

STR 5
DEX 8
AGI 8
CON 4
PER 8
WILL 3
INT 4

For a sneaky SMG/Sniper? Guns, throwing, lot of subterfuge, chemistry, electronics. Some people skills, maybe.

Parabalus

Arcane
What do you think of

STR 5
DEX 8
AGI 8
CON 4
PER 8
WILL 3
INT 4

For a sneaky SMG/Sniper? Guns, throwing, lot of subterfuge, chemistry, electronics. Some people skills, maybe.

Why not go with ARs instead of SMGs? That way you'd be spread way less thin.

I'd drop both INT and CON to 3, 4 is really inefficient.

Parabalus

Arcane
Why not go with ARs instead of SMGs? That way you'd be spread way less thin.

I don't know, kinda like SMG. Gives off a 'Professional' vibe.

I'd drop both INT and CON to 3, 4 is really inefficient.

Thanks for the advice. Which numbers are efficient values for stats btw?

There isn't really any rule, because of feat requirements.

If you're dumping stats dump them all the way, CON particularly governs no skills, and if you only want 2 crafting skills the one point in INT doesn't save much, since you're still ineligible for all crafting feats.

Drowed

Arcane
I'd like to see a toggle option of the custom note symbol. It's practical, but since I usually make several notes on the map, the situation ends up looking like this:

d1c1b90a6ba4e6e0aaba1a8e2c17742a-full.png

An option to make all symbols disappear or appear (next to the "follow player" and "center on player" options) would be nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom