Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Trashos

Arcane
Right, that's what I am planning to do. Figure out and optimize 2-3 favorite builds on Hard, play them ironman, and only then move on to Dominating. For a while I am going to pretend that Dominating does not exist.

I understand that my builds will probably have to change in Dominating, doesn't matter.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
So after two earlier playthroughs - one as a puncher and one as a sledgehammer wielder, I restarted this as a trap/sneak/sniper. Completely different game this way, and so fucking awesome. I love this game.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I don't think DOMINATING actually invalidates any build archetype or playstyle, as long as it's properly optimized and not something inherently gimped (3 PER sniper, 3 STR sledge etc.). You might be unable to do all the side content with some builds because some of it can get pretty ridiculous, but the main questline is not that much harder.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
I don't think DOMINATING actually invalidates any build archetype or playstyle, as long as it's properly optimized and not something inherently gimped (3 PER sniper, 3 STR sledge etc.). You might be unable to do all the side content with some builds because some of it can get pretty ridiculous, but the main questline is not that much harder.
I think there are going to be some choke points. Carnifex will be one. I don't think Junkyard is too hard anymore, but there may be a few others as well.

Sykar

Arcane

It does require more meta gaming and cheese like liberate use of molotovs and caltrops. Also some parts have an obnoxious amount of HP to burn through. The Beast quest is a prime example of that. On top of that some parts are now almost or outright impossible to stealth through which is highly annoying or frustrating for stealth builds.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah it was tough..

BzoJa.png

BzoJc.png

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
And I had no Expose Weakness... and still don't have it. The only problem for now is Dreadnouts... Industrial bot is a meh, at least one.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
They shoot most of the time. In the end when dan is out of ammo, he sprint to his death - if you won't prevent this with superkilling.
I dunno, but Dan possibly has metal boots so you can use caltrops with burrower poison.
I used 6 of them, and you can see how many grenades and adrenalin.
I don't remeber if they really turn on you - maybe they need at least two traps fro that.

Anyway, you can see on last pic that I barely won this time - I mean, time when Dan is alive.
I coudn't retreat because there was a trap...

What is bad is that thay don't have too much ammo, and it's not AP... but if it trivialize that fight I'm fine with that decision.

Trashos

Arcane
All right, I have only played this fight up to Hard, and what happened (on Hard) is the following. I only placed traps downstairs (so that allies don't step on them), and then started shooting and slowly retreating. Once the bladelings were flooding the upstairs, the bot came forward and tanked, won us some time, but was quickly killed. Then Dan was out of ammo, and that was a good thing, as he took out his sledgehammer and tanked for us. Dan didn't take much damage from bladeling attacks, so we won while he was tanking.

I understand that on Dominating the bladelings are much more numerous, so maybe this tactic doesn't work? Bladelings flood us before Dan is out of ammo and starts tanking? Dan can't tank as successfully on Dominating?

It will be a sad day if I don't have the luxury to care about Dan on Dominating. But a man has to do what a man has to do, I guess.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Dan can't tank as successfully on Dominating?
This one. There's a lot more of them and they are much stronger on DOMINATING. There's 7 waves, 49 bladelings total ( 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ) and they all have 10 stacks of Taste for Blood and Adrenaline Rush. There's only 6 waves on Hard, 33 bladelings total ( 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ) and they don't have the buffs.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, Dan can't stand them for more them 4-5 turns I think, and that's only if you will help him.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Has anyone being able to sneak through Epione Lab on Autistic difficulty? I have around 300 effective stealth skill but there are so many guards now right at the entrance that it seems impossible to sneak through even just in part though, something which was possible on hard.

ciox

Liturgist
Stealth definitely seems like it doesn't scale well with higher enemy counts, I didn't try stealth on Dominating because of that. I went for a CON/WIL guns build with no subterfuge skills at all except some traps and had a fair bit of fun.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finishing up with the game now. I have the Protectorate Questline left, some fishing to do, and maybe one or two more other things. Played a thought control stealth sniper build, with really high persuasion and intimidation. I didn't have to invest in any crafting pretty much through the use of some uniques. I'm absolutely hooked on this game, and though I pretty much never replay anything, I just might with this game. The whole Oculus organization is so fucking cool that I'm absolutely taken in by it. I really wish there was more to do with them. What's the current state of the game though? Are there plans for an Underrail 2, or will there be an expansion that opens up North Underrail and adds more content to the game? Also, is there a way to save a character if that's the one you want to export in and explore more of the game in the future?

Trashos

Arcane
Locus of Control is obviously a fantastic ability, but I wouldn't think that there is much synergy between Sniper and Thought control. How did that work out for you?

Damn, you reminded me that I still have to design a Mage that I am happy with. I like how they play, but I can't bring myself to drop Crafting/Stealth/Hacking/Lockpicking, so my first (incomplete) try was starving for skill points. But I will try it again.

The Protectorate questline has a couple of awesome moments, and you should definitely pursue it to the end.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Finishing up with the game now
I have the Protectorate Questline left, some fishing to do, and maybe one or two more other things.

:hero:

What's the current state of the game though? Are there plans for an Underrail 2, or will there be an expansion that opens up North Underrail and adds more content to the game? Also, is there a way to save a character if that's the one you want to export in and explore more of the game in the future?
An exp****** will be coming out (no North Underrail) and I'm pretty sure you can export/load your guy in-game.

I'm absolutely hooked on this game, and though I pretty much never replay anything, I just might with this game

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom