Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Blaine but just imagine how much better the final product will be with your input... the chance to run down poorly thought out new gear, crafting recipes, perks, and quest resolution pathways.

shit, if you're really self-centered regarding your experience with the finished product, you practically owe it to yourself to test the alpha!

More like I'll get permabanned from the official forums for submitting 400 nearly identical feedback reports that the font is bad and should be changed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Nah, it's okay if you don't want to. One of the reasons I chose to do this publicly was to get honest reactions like yours, and to get them before Styg starts sending out invites to every potential playtester.

Yeah, but then again, agris has a point. As tasteful as someone must be to enjoy Underrail in the first place, can I really leave proper feedback to some random unknowns who aren't even members of our prestigious Skyrim fan forum?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, but then again, agris has a point. As tasteful as someone must be to enjoy Underrail in the first place, can I really leave proper feedback to some random unknowns who aren't even members of our prestigious Skyrim fan forum?
Exactly. When I think about PoE and the IE enhanced editions, I think both suffered from: listening to the wrong feedback, ignoring the right feedback, and lack of correct feedback.

I trust these things to Blaine. Also, please bring back the old font Styg.

I actually haven't played Underrail since late beta/alpha, where I sunk about 90 hours into it. At this point, I'm waiting for the expansion and I don't want it all fucked up by idiotic feedback. Not trying to be edgy, it's just what happens.

ciox

Liturgist
I offered my services simply because I'm tired of waiting and I'm a little concerned about some things, like how the new psi school will turn out.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What's the name of that thing ... when you enter a thread and you see two guys felating each other !?

You'll want the Adventure Gaming subforum. At least half the main cast of every adventure game these days are required to be gay or transsexual and also to make absolutely sure players are aware of this fact, so you'll find no shortage of peter-puffing.

epeli

Arcane
Exactly. When I think about PoE and the IE enhanced editions, I think both suffered from: listening to the wrong feedback, ignoring the right feedback, and lack of correct feedback.

I trust these things to Blaine. Also, please bring back the old font Styg.

I actually haven't played Underrail since late beta/alpha, where I sunk about 90 hours into it. At this point, I'm waiting for the expansion and I don't want it all fucked up by idiotic feedback. Not trying to be edgy, it's just what happens.

Sounds like you guys have a wrong idea about the nature of this. It's more about making sure everything works, not asking players for ideas on how to change things.
You can rest assured that whatever feedback testers provide, Styg will read it, consider it... and then do his own thing instead. That's how he has always operated. He's pretty damn good at pinpointing the underlying issue in feedback and addressing it in his own way while ignoring player suggestions. I know he's done that a few times with my dumb ideas. Testers are hardly in a position to fuck up anything, that's up to Styg. Though he will gleefully nerf everything players enjoy, there's that.

And I guess I also have a wrong idea about this. I want to give absolutely everyone a fair chance to get in, closer to the original alpha and the public test branch of the game. But Styg will probably just invite a few veterans who have a proven track record of knowing his game and providing good bug reports.

Jezal_k23

How much stealth is enough? I'm at about 148 effective stealth, so I stopped leveling it up. Should I continue?

Black Angel

Arcane
How much stealth is enough? I'm at about 148 effective stealth, so I stopped leveling it up. Should I continue?
I'm not sure about others, but personally I never level up stealth skill pass 100, and instead modify its effectiveness all the way beyond that through gearing.

If you're making a sniper, however, you'd want to put more points because there are feats that scales with your stealth, so your call.

Jezal_k23

I don't think I'd want to be a tester even if I were accepted to do so (maybe if testers were really needed I'd do it). And more importantly I wouldn't want a free key because I'd also want to support the development of this game, so I'll be buying the expansion at full price just as I did the game itself.

Parabalus

Arcane

You can stop leveling it comfortably. If you have crafting you can get +150ish from black cloth gear, that's enough to stealth through the last area (with 0 skill investment even). You can also get a stealth generator for tricky spots.

Sykar

Arcane

That depends on what you want to do. If you want to avoid as much combat as possible and also use Snipe a lot you might just as well max it. My own PSI Sniper has over 300 effective Stealth skill when everything available is used though I do not have tailoring on him but that would hardly make a major difference.
People mention changing clothes constantly but not only do I consider this exploiting the system but its also quite a hassle doing this over and over. Better to decide for one play style and stick to it imho.

Trashos

Arcane
People mention changing clothes constantly but not only do I consider this exploiting the system but its also quite a hassle doing this over and over. Better to decide for one play style and stick to it imho.

Nah, don't agree with this. One of the joys of good itemization (which this game has) is being able to choose the right gear for the right situation. Biohazard vest against burrowers and crawlers, galvanic vest against spiders, mutated dog leather against muties etc. I have several armors I pick from.

Black Angel

Arcane
Nah, don't agree with this. One of the joys of good itemization (which this game has) is being able to choose the right gear for the right situation. Biohazard vest against burrowers and crawlers, galvanic vest against spiders, mutated dog leather against muties etc. I have several armors I pick from.
That worked because the gameworld was designed in such a way that we will know where to expect burrowers, where to expect crawlers, etc etc, which means you maybe change armor every 30 minutes or so depending on how you pace a session. I'd assume Sykar's point was that it's a hassle when you try to shift between stealth and combat gear, which could happen every 5 minutes or so because the two situations aren't as expected as knowing when to encounter a type of critters.

Besides, if you're going stealth characters, you'd be speccing your gear toward initiating combat first and finish the encounter as fast as you can before enemies can't retaliate, which means you'd be using gears to maximize your chance to not take any damage while achieving the two aforementioned things. Meanwhile, preparing different types of armor for different critters means you're ready to *take* any damage, and also if you don't roll first initiative. It's two different playstyle for two different builds.

Stealth sniper+trapper (with the free trap in combat feat) is p. fun to play and is perhaps the only build which can detect/deal with those stealthy poison pumping buttblasters in Dominating without meta gaming and regular reloads.

Black Angel

Arcane
Rate my planned psyker build, pls, k thx

In case someone is wondering why I'm going 7 CON, it's because I've already played a stealthy PSI before, and that one doesn't even have Metathermics. This time, I kinda want to have a durable psyker wearing medium armors like vests and riot gears, and also heavy-based leather armors made from pig-skin and Ancient Rathound leathers etc etc. Looking at it, one of, if not the only weird part of this planned build, is the 4 DEX and I put it at that because I don't want to have penalty on Lockpicking. And yet, I only put that much point into Lockpicking because I'm thinking of not picking lock as much as hacking. Should I just drop Lockpicking completely, and also DEX, and put that one point in CON?

Edit: Also, the reason why I put 10 points into INT there is because I want to pass all the INT checks. Who knows, maybe I can fill in the blanks left by MediantSamuel in this thread

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Rate my planned psyker build, pls, k thx

In case someone is wondering why I'm going 7 CON, it's because I've already played a stealthy PSI before, and that one doesn't even have Metathermics. This time, I kinda want to have a durable psyker wearing medium armors like vests and riot gears, and also heavy-based leather armors made from pig-skin and Ancient Rathound leathers etc etc. Looking at it, one of, if not the only weird part of this planned build, is the 4 DEX and I put it at that because I don't want to have penalty on Lockpicking. And yet, I only put that much point into Lockpicking because I'm thinking of not picking lock as much as hacking. Should I just drop Lockpicking completely, and also DEX, and put that one point in CON?

Edit: Also, the reason why I put 10 points into INT there is because I want to pass all the INT checks. Who knows, maybe I can fill in the blanks left by MediantSamuel in this thread

What difficulty is this for?

Is Doctor a good feat? I have never used it, it doesn't look like it can save me (on Hard and above) once things start going bad. I 'd be tempted to replace it.

What do you need that much Chemistry for? IIRC, you only need a bit of Chemistry for the biohazard vest, sth like 20 *effective*.

I think you have very little defense. No stealth, no evasion, no dodge, no Quck Tinkering. Personally, I 'd drop the social skills and go for some Stealth and Traps 25 for Quick Tinkering. Anyway, you are going to need a defensive plan.

I think you need a bit higher Electronics to reach 135 with the house bonus. 118 effective, I think? I consider this important for the shield.

Black Angel

Arcane
What difficulty is this for?

Is Doctor a good feat? I have never used it, it doesn't look like it can save me (on Hard and above) once things start going bad. I 'd be tempted to replace it.

What do you need that much Chemistry for? IIRC, you only need a bit of Chemistry for the biohazard vest, sth like 20 *effective*.

I think you have very little defense. No stealth, no evasion, no dodge, no Quck Tinkering. Personally, I 'd drop the social skills and go for some Stealth and Traps 25 for Quick Tinkering. Anyway, you are going to need a defensive plan.

I think you need a bit higher Electronics to reach 135 with the house bonus. 118 effective, I think? I consider this important for the shield.
Normal.

Doctor's main purpose is to let you use bandages regardless of how low your health is instead of the normal 40% minimum health, but another use for it is to use bandages on other NPCs, because this will be a talky-talky playthrough I kinda want to play a goody-two shoes and save Cliff, the wounded scavenger near Junkyard whose girlfriend were trapped in Burrower's nest. Playing on Hard, you'd obviously replace it with Fast Metabolism instead, but even now I'm having second thoughts because Doctor's only non-combat application is that aforementioned one time. If only there's more use or even checks of it... maybe I'll drop it after all and let Cliff die anyway.

As for Chemistry, 'nades of course. Iirc you need an effective 50-60 or so to craft highest grades of 'nades, but maybe I'm wrong.

I already said that I've had stealthy PSI before. This time I want to face any combat encounter head-on, hence the 7 CON and a plan to use medium armors. Maybe I'll drop Doctor and go Fast Metabolism instead, and even drop one of the PSI feat to take one of the crafting feat so I can make a more viable armor.

Yeah, I'd probably take some of the points from maybe Biology and put it in Electronics instead.

Trashos

Arcane
As for Chemistry, 'nades of course. Iirc you need an effective 50-60 or so to craft highest grades of 'nades, but maybe I'm wrong.

For highest quality explosives, I seem to recall 112 to be the magic number. But yeah, 60 is going to let you make some better ones. I do not think it's worth it for a psi build, though.
Also, you have no Throwing skill. You will be doing a lot of reloading, as you will be exploding yourself all the time. Throwing 50-80 (effective) would be very decent.

Yeah, I'd probably take some of the points from maybe Biology and put it in Electronics instead.

On the other hand, with Biology 130 (effective) you get to use the awesome Supersoldier Drug in DC (remember, you have no housing bonus in DC). Decisions, decisions... If you are not to use the drug, effective Biology 80 for Bullhead or 50 for Focus Stim should do.

Black Angel

Arcane
For highest quality explosives, I seem to recall 112 to be the magic number. But yeah, 60 is going to let you make some better ones. I do not think it's worth it for a psi build, though.
Also, you have no Throwing skill. You will be doing a lot of reloading, as you will be exploding yourself all the time. Throwing 50-80 (effective) would be very decent.
I vaguely recalled that effective 60 is enough to craft highest grade 'nades, but then it doesn't make sense only that much is enough to make Mark V Grenades, so you're probably right. I'm just going to aim for at most Mark III 'nades maybe.
As for Throwing skill, it's fine. Even with 0 skill you can get decent %THC at medium range, I've done it before with my stealthy PSI after all and I don't reload much. But if you or someone have better suggestion so that I don't have to bother crafting 'nades while having 0 Throwing skill, that'd be great.

On the other hand, with Biology 130 (effective) you get to use the awesome Supersoldier Drug in DC (remember, you have no housing bonus in DC). Decisions, decisions... If you are not to use the drug, effective Biology 80 for Bullhead or 50 for Focus Stim should do.
Looking up on Supersoldier Drug, it's gonna be a pain in the arse with 4 DEX because the recipe required some of the hard-to-catch fishes, so I have no intention of making them. But yeah, some other, more accessible drugs I'll be crafting, so based on the ingredients I'd probably drop some of the points from Bio..... or, as I vaguely recall, the number I put into the character builder is required to craft Regeneration Vest armors?

Trashos

Arcane
as I vaguely recall, the number I put into the character builder is required to craft Regeneration Vest armors?

Regenerative Mixture probably, at 115 effective (no housing bonus, as one ingredient is in DC). It's a pretty good healing drug, but you need fishing for this too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom