Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Trashos

Arcane
You are in a world that used to be run by a science R&D corporation. Then there were a couple of "incidents" and the corporation fell. You get to see the aftermath and also discover (gradually) what really happened back then and how it affected your world. Sure, I cannot do it justice in a couple of sentences, but how is that NOT interesting?

Tygrende

Arbiter
I'm glad hat you gave up on a hopeless task of pretending that Underrail's writing is worth anything and instead try to defend it by counting quests.
I mean, you were the one who brought up the fetch quests to begin with. I'm starting to think you don't have any valid criticisms after all.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The game is on sale so I must ask, is this game's game world as developed as Fallout or is it another generic isometric TB game with no focus on storytelling and character development (plot-wise)?
Went in believing it was a pure combatfag game due to steam retards ("OMG ITZ JUST LIKE FALLOUT!!" "NOOO ITS JUST COMBAT AND ONLY COMBAT!!!!!", fucking idiots) and was very pleasantly surprised. It's not exactly FO1/2 quest-wise but the engaging world makes more than up for it. Writing is more than serviceable and doesn't devolve into pointless walls of text. Worth the full price a couple times over.

But I can endure it if the world is interesting.
The world/exploration is Great

I've said it again, UnderRail is like a (really good) turn-based Diablo.
Great example of the quintessential steam-review posting fucktard.

I don't get the criticism of the storyline.
These idiots get confused by a lack of mustache twirling villains and damsels in distress, there's nothing to get, they're idiots.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Story is very basic and to be honest it doesn't draw you in and the whole game revolves around finding, using or crafting loot. And of course the combat that revolves around this.
The combat is great but that is UnderRail. And yes it has a lot similar with Diablo in that aspect. Unless there is any reactivity or C&C that I missed somehow?
This is an absolute load of horseshit.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Sorry for bursting in but is there an approximate date for DLC to get released? Website is not helpful and I really don't want to dig through the thread.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game is on sale so I must ask, is this game's game world as developed as Fallout or is it another generic isometric TB game with no focus on storytelling and character development (plot-wise)?
Sadly, not on sale on GOG

ArchAngel

Arcane
While story is not on the level of PST (which game is..) storytelling and world are fairly interesting.
You don't run into every town and solve random stupid problems of incompetent residents. This game is not about that.
You survive the wild, find civilisation and don't get welcomed as a hero just because you are a player's character. NO Mutherfucker!
Everyone treats you like shit because you are shit, just another useless mouth breather until you prove yourself useful.
Everything is there, you are just supposed to work for it a bit.
If you want to be spoon fed go play your shitty Obsidian games.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Story is very basic and to be honest it doesn't draw you in and the whole game revolves around finding, using or crafting loot. And of course the combat that revolves around this.
The combat is great but that is UnderRail. And yes it has a lot similar with Diablo in that aspect. Unless there is any reactivity or C&C that I missed somehow?

Also the comparison with the Fallout games is pointless, we've covered that many times already. It only shares the fact that it's turn based with them.

It has a story and it draws you in when you end tutorial. There are different factions in the Underrail with C&C. Man, did you even play the game?! IT IS THE BEST FALLOUT-LIKE GAME after ARCANUM.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just bought it at full price....15 euro on gog. Still i will not download it because i already pirated the shit out of the game and then i saw that it is an incline worthy of supporting,then i saw that is Sarbin and decided to go for full price support. :salute: Keep on making good games mate,just make the merchants more popamole,it is tiresome to run around with all that junk. Think about the autists mate,don't be a bigot.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The plot and world are incredibly developed (I'd say more than Fallout, but this is NMA), as are the various characters you'll meet throughout the world. The best way I can describe it is that there are a bunch of characters or locations where I wish I had just a little bit more dialogue options to explore and learn about them. The game gives you enough writing so that you love what you read, but holds back enough so that the wonder and mystery of the world you're in keeps you interested. The difference with Underrail in regards to other games is the way in which it delivers its story. It's much more nuanced than just putting text on the screen for you to read, and uses the atmosphere, setting, and visual cues as ways of getting its message across. Note, this doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of dialogue and writing where the story is delivered. I'm a pure story fag, and this games story and world is what kept me playing for close to around 200 hours, easily. It just requires some attention to fully get everything it has to offer (and what it has to offer is one of the best video game settings I've ever seen developed)>
99% of the time I had no idea what the game is about
Is English your first language? Whenever I hear people complaining about coherency, it's a surefire sign that they're a retard. It's akin to millennials watching a classic film and complaining that it's too complicated.

Latelistener

Arcane
The first Fallout didn't have much of a story: go and get the chip. Underrail is a bit more than that. There is also a big story behind the world, but it's getting uncovered slowly and in a vague manner. At the beginning of Fallout you knew that there was a nuclear war, but in Underrail you don't actually know what happened and 99% of its inhabitants don't even remember.

Zero difference. It's DRM-Free on Steam too.

I've thought about it multiple times.
Not enough times apparently. The point of any Diablo-style game is loot hunting. That's the only purpose of these games. You constantly kill monsters to get stronger and get better loot.

Underrail on the other hand is like Fallout under the influence of Ultima Underworld (or any games that came after that in the same vein). A huge interconnected dungeon with many ways to progress.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Only if the developer wants to use it as DRM. You can copy your Underrail dir from your steamapps/common dir to anywhere you want and it will work. Even on a different PC. You have to copy your savegames separately though.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's not zero difference however, because if I want to install it on another PC, I have to either copy it from my PC of go through the trouble of installing Steam on the other PC, with everything that entails (verification of new device via email, etc). With GOG I would just download it and install.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
If I were to give this game another try tonight, what would be a good build to make in it? Last time I tried a crossbow based build but that stopped working around the time that every other enemy was a robot (or am I just missing something that'll make this kind of build work?).

Tygrende

Arbiter
If I were to give this game another try tonight, what would be a good build to make in it?
We would have to know what are your preferences. If you want something strong but also straightforward for example, metal armor assualt rifle builds are probably the best. Just don't forget to have at least 8 STR and put some points in CON.

Last time I tried a crossbow based build but that stopped working around the time that every other enemy was a robot (or am I just missing something that'll make this kind of build work?).
Crossbows do struggle with high mech DR/DT enemies. Special bolts with the Elemental Bolts helps, so do HE nades and mines.

jungl

Augur
If underrail is like diablo then pathfinder kingmaker is a collectathon like super mario 64.

Latelistener

Arcane
It's not zero difference however, because if I want to install it on another PC, I have to either copy it from my PC of go through the trouble of installing Steam on the other PC, with everything that entails (verification of new device via email, etc). With GOG I would just download it and install.
Considering that GOG limited the downloading speed via browser (it never goes above 2 Mb/s for me anymore), it may be faster to actually copy it.

Or you can also use Steam Family Sharing for another PC.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Considering that GOG limited the downloading speed via browser (it never goes above 2 Mb/s for me anymore), it may be faster to actually copy it.
Wut? Have you changed your ISP plan recently? I am downloading with 9 Mb/s which is my maximum download bandwidth.

Or you can also use Steam Family Sharing for another PC.
I'm trying to move away from Steam as a whole, except for games which are not on GOG. Do I need to install the Steam client to use Family Sharing, or register a new Steam account?

Tygrende

Arbiter
I usually like to play something stealthy and diplomatically inclined
There's a lot of options then. Pretty much any build can be stealthy as long as you keep your armor penalty low(ish). All it takes to be diplomatic is to invest in persuasion and/or intimidation and/or mercantile, it that order of importance.

Any build can do that as well, but psi builds will spend less points on those skill since they are boosted by Will, so you might want to try psi. Also, stealth is pretty much mandatory for snipers because of the Snipe feat. Other than that, sky's the limit really.

Latelistener

Arcane
Wut? Have you changed your ISP plan recently? I am downloading with 9 Mb/s which is my maximum download bandwidth.
I get better speed from Google Drive. I thought it's their jew plan to force their shitty client.

Do I need to install the Steam client to use Family Sharing, or register a new Steam account?
Of course.

Trashos

Arcane
I usually like to play something stealthy and diplomatically inclined

A relatively easy and fun stealthy build is the SMG one. I 'd start there (even though it's true that psi builds can be more diplomatic due to their focus on INT). Pay attention to your DEX, it will determine how many times you can burst/turn.

I don't consider Crossbows to be a good build for early playthroughs. They require a lot of patience and strategy (and traps).

ortucis

Prophet
Played it for 119 mins, focusing on ranged, melee, lockpick/hacking and speech (persuasion and a few points in trading). So far I've only talked to people, only combat was in training with a bit of stealth thrown in (which was awful, good thing I didn't go for stealth build). Is there respec option in-game if you want to change a few things? I picked melee as a backup for close ranged enemies.

So yeah, in 2 hours I have only explored the three levels where you get quests from, looted everything I can and talked to a few people. Talking to non quest/merchant NPC's is pointless since they are standing around for show only. I'll explore rest of the levels and move on to the first quest.

The only thing that has bothered me so far is the visuals. For some reason they feel too zoomed out. Everything feels too small and there aren't any zoom levels for some reason. Which is weird cause visuals from Infinity engine games never bothered me. But that could be cause I wouldn't max out HD res, I usually run them at 1024x768 to avoid making everything look tiny. But this is a new game, it should have zoom levels.

Anyway, I won't be refunding it. I was expecting it to have no attempt at story-telling before based on comments here.

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Anyone who says there are no interesting or memorable characters never met Ezra.
He stands out from everyone else right off the bat based on his appearance and one or two other things. But as you progress, you actually have the option to learn about him.
Nothing in-game is ever made concrete about his origins, but FUCK does it allow you to make crazy assumptions.

Ezra is in fact Anton Matvev of the Old Biocorp, the Biocorp that actually BUILT the entire UnderRail. He was from the first circle of Apex Technocrats who ran BioCorp. Also he was responsible for the Junkyard and a few other things. This guy SURVIVED the Hollow Earth incident with at least three other Biocorp Scientists. That incident was considered an apocalyptic level event because it led to the destruction of the main governing body of Underrail. That was 200 years ago. In addition, if you dig around enough in the right places, you get an idea who one of those others is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom