Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ortucis

Prophet
Good news, Underrail fanboys.

I re-installed Windows Spynet Edition on SSD, backing up all game saves of course. But when I started Underrail, it decided to wipe out all the saves I restored and now I lost 11 hours worth of gameplay cause the fucking game doesn't have Steam cloud integration (would it have undermined RPG foundations to have cloud saves though?).

So be happy, I won't be able to "undermine the very foundations of RPGeh" and will now have to start the game from scratch.

:deadtroll:

Jezal_k23

I think that mistakes are part of the character building process. I didn't know the system and made several of them in the early game when I didn't fully know what my character was going to be. Even after wasting up to 50 points on stuff I didn't use, my character managed to survive and thrive past Depot A.

That said, I followed the advice I got here of playing on normal for the first time. Not knowing the system and making mistakes is part of the learning process and the game fully supports unoptimized builds. It clearly doesn't expect perfect builds and requires them for you to survive. Certainly not on normal.

So basically I'm not sure respec is something we really need. It was fun to learn the game the hard way, and yes, dealing with bad decisions is part of what I enjoy doing in RPGs.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
For example: At level 10 I've discovered that I've chosen one wrong, low synergy and ineffectual feat at level 5.

My options were:
1) Find a save before level 5. Spend several hours doing the exact same quests.
2) Abandon the run and restart the game. Spend even more hours to reach the same point in the game.
3) Use CE and modify that one singular feat.

So you're saying respeccing should be included for retarded autists who can't stand it if they got ONE wrong feat?
ONE WRONG FEAT! Literally unplayable!

Anyway, how limited are we talking here, anyway, and how do you propose to limit it?
What if after I respec that level 5 feat I make another mistake? Should I have to live with that when I couldn't live with the first one? I'd say the game isn't respecting my time if it doesn't allow me to respec every time I think I made a mistake .

This a stupid platitude.

I prefer to call it a truism.

Care to argue with it? What hurrtucis is saying is simply: "I want all games to cater to me".
So, no, fuck you. Play games that "respect your time" and don't fucking ask for cheating to become standard gameplay in everything.

You can hold yourself to a higher moral standard but it's a waste of time to expect the same thing from others.

I don't see how the logical conclusion from that is that cheating should be encouraged. Do the cheating on your own.

But why do I bother. It will happen anyway. It's the obvious next step in decline. And it will be praised and called innovation and become part of the "quality of life" standards and gaming journalists will use it as proof for how evolved and refined gaming is today.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
I woulda just respec'd to a weaker build because I made the mistake of not knowing Normal mode wouldn't have a massive difficulty canyon behind the spikes.
Sadly I wasn't incline enough to go fight rats in hallways all over again only to find out the canyon is most likely still there and uninstalled.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
You'd probably sing a different tune if you did a xbow only build on release or something similar.
I don't see how that would relate to the present time. I've already said that I made an objectively garbage build that tried to do everything, and it took a lot of effort and creativity to pass the wall that was in front of me. I can only imagine xbow build made by players on release or close to that face a lot of crappy situation but not as much and/or dire as that garbage build I made. They might felt like they're playing a build not truly optimized for the game (either partially or as a whole), but if they had fun with it, then they can replay the game with completely different build. And if they want to revisit xbow build (and also some players new to it want to try), xbow now have easier* time thanks to all the changes like special bolts new stackings and the new feats.

*before you begin to argue based on Hard/DOMINATING difficulty, I'm mostly talking from a perspective of a wimp who have no confidence in starting even Hard and have been playing on Normal mostly.

I don't want UR to add a respec, but I can understand people not wanting to waste time replaying the game to make minor edits to their builds.
You know, your arguments don't really adds up at all. First, in context of the discussion we're having at hand, ortucis is a player new to Underrail, and since he's complaining about the game being linear I'd assume he's not get past Junkyard at this point. The whole stretch from SGS -> Junkyard aren't that long, and if he restart at any point along this stretch each restart should get him faster to the current point of previous character, so I don't see how those are waste of time, *unless* the game's truly not for him, of which upon that realization he should've uninstalled the game instead of coming here complaining how the game's 'start' can't be skipped (whatever 'start' he meant, anyway). So, if he's actually been restarting the game (otherwise, why would he be complaining about being unable to skip the 'start' of the game?) then he's truly a fucking retard to keep on putting skillpoints into skills he's not going to use. If he's actually haven't restarted the game at all.... well, why don't he just man up and accept the happy little accidents that he brought upon himself and start focusing on what he really wants to do with the build?

Okay, back to your argument not adding up. Based on what I said above, ortucis's problem is rather minor, like you also just said. But then, in your previous post, you gotta bring up not being able to use a level 25 char to try another build, AND xbow build made on release getting the short end of the stick. I'm pretty sure "being unable to use a level 25 char to try another build" and "dedicated xbow build on release being crappy" are completely different problem to "minor mistakes of wasting *some* skillpoints into skills you're not going to use much".

Now, suppose we have an option to respec a level 25 character into a completely different build. Then, what? What are you going to play? What content are you going to tackle after you respec your level 25 character into a different character? To get to level 25 in the first place, you need to tackle quests and clear areas, and especially if you're playing Oddity then you *absolutely* need to complete quests. What's left for your respecced character? Okay, say you're playing classic XP mode, then you can just autistically grind random areas where creatures are respawning, all the way to level 25, and you finally managed to get there. Fuck the time and effort spent to get to level 25 before even beginning to tackle quests, you finally get to respec your level 25 character to try a completely different build. The questions now is the difficulty of the content you're going experience. They were never designed to challenge a (respecced) level 25 character in the first place. Respeccing a level 25 character and have it restart from the beginning of the game is out of question, UNLESS it's New Game+. EXCEPT, New Game+ was never considered by Styg in the first place. I can only imagine all the adjustment, balancing, and design changes that the indie team has to do to accommodate Underrail New Game+ experience.

Look, first time players needs not worry about happy little accidents they've made in their build. At most, if they REALLY care about playing a build that's comfortable for them, then they should be restarting the game before even getting the quest to go to Junkyard, and I absolutely don't see how is that waste of time for people who's having fun. I was a newcomer to the whole fucking genre back then, and I man up to swallow the happy little accidents I've made with my first build. ortucis, registered to this forum in 2009 and presumably a veteran of the genre, should be able to do more than what I've accomplished.

I think there is some expectation of balance for a single player game as well. It's a bit lazy for the developer to leave one or two build paths extremely strong relative to the others (looking at you Bethesda stealth).
I'd say this isn't much of a problem for Underrail, considering all the nerfs to certain builds.

And no, it can't be included in game, because desing should take into considerations existance of respec.

No. The game design is not impacted by allowing re-specialization or not: you are not inventing new builds
Yes, they do. The most common theoretical problem that I see people brought up against respeccing in Underrail is that one can abuse respeccing by making a dedicated crafting character to craft all the good stuff very early, and when they respec they can just zero their crafting skills and maximize other skills of the archetype they want to play. To prevent that, what part of the game you need to change?

If you have no time for a game - then just don't play.

This a stupid platitude.
It's actually a more sound argument than "if you don't like respec, then don't use it!". If, for some people, having to restart the game to correct "minor" mistakes, or especially if they think restarting at most 2-hours worth of progress in an RPG like Underrail is waste of time, then they shouldn't be playing in the first place.

Fenix I agree, respec is unnecessary. If you make a gimp build, it's likely because you didnt understand the system.

How could you really understand the system without at least one complete playthrough!? In most cases you cannot.
If it's your first playthrough, then you shouldn't be concerned with respeccing to get SUPAH build.
If the mistakes are minor, like couple of skillpoints put into skills not relevant to the archetype, then just man up and start focusing on what matters.
If the mistakes are major like taking the wrong feat, then the player should reflect if he's managed to actually complete quests and winning encounters at all. If he did, and he had fun, proceed. If he doesn't, restart, or uninstall the game. In case of hitting a wall, then getting creative is the way to go; use items you've never before, or try explore someplace else instead of banging your head against that wall over and over again hoping for an entirely different results.

My 2 cents:

Complete respec is cancer because the causal chain is broken: you can have the optimal build for any situation or obstacle. There is no challenge and the game experience is basically meaningless (*except for bragging on the internet).

On the other hand, limited respec is actually desirable when the build is not fundamentally changed.

For example: At level 10 I've discovered that I've chosen one wrong, low synergy and ineffectual feat at level 5.

My options were:
2) Abandon the run and restart the game. Spend even more hours to reach the same point in the game.

Now, the choice is obvious, I did not like it but I did respec that one feat and I could carry on with my playthrough with minimal impact. I did not do it for bragging rights on the internet, I did it for me because my time is also important.

In the end, I think I'm just trying to say that respec is non-issue: there are no valid or invalid ways to play a single player game which already allows levels of difficulty.

20 years ago I was raging against all cheaters but then I realized that it doesn't matter. You can hold yourself to a higher moral standard but it's a waste of time to expect the same thing from others.
Thing is, in case of Underrail, more advanced feats have sufficiently and relevantly high requirements relative to the build archetypes. Which means you wouldn't be taking feats 'irrelevant' to your build, since you wouldn't even have access to feats with completely different requirement than the archetype you've created (say, you wouldn't have access to feats like Survival Instinct in the first place if you're making a 3 CON, 10 AGI character who specialized in Dodge and Evasion). Meanwhile, the feats that have zero requirements in Underrail that you can take from since character creation are relatively universal and always have its uses for any kind of build, except maybe Recklessness, which have zero synergy with PSI-build. I've heard its description was pretty vague in previous versions, but it's clearer now. Also, Recklessness a level 1, zero requirement feat so restarting the game IS the way to go if you happen to get this problem.
Also, level 5 is pretty low level, at least in Underrail that has level 25 as maximum level. So, instead of doing all the 3 options you have above, the most plausible option you SHOULD be doing is to carry on and start to develop your character in such a way that the 'wrong' feat you took will be much more effective and have high synergy at latter levels.

Alright, folks, I think it's time for someone to bring this up. Can anybody here mention, by name and how, any RPG worth their salt that gives their players an option to respec, at all? Or at least, a method of respec in other games that will probably fit like a glove for an RPG like Underrail.

I think I can answer the latter question: Tales of Maj'Eyal has a respec mechanic of some sort. Basically, the game allows you to revert (iirc) 2 or 3 levels worth of character progression, but ONLY in towns. The thing is, Tales of Maj'Eyal is a completely different game than Underrail, and it's a roguelike too. Each leveling up in ToME give 3 attribute points, 1 class talent point, and 1 generic talent point. It's why the respeccing method for ToME works since there's not much numerical points involved, and I can slightly see this method work for Underrail. You can ONLY revert 1 leveling up, and you gotta go to towns to do that, or to thematically fit the whole game, just one town at that. Thing is, would you people gonna be able to handle all the backtracking should you do mistakes time and time again?

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I woulda just respec'd to a weaker build because I made the mistake of not knowing Normal mode wouldn't have a massive difficulty canyon behind the spikes.
Sadly I wasn't incline enough to go fight rats in hallways all over again only to find out the canyon is most likely still there and uninstalled.

Cry some more.
I'm sure you're the first person ever who stopped playing a game he didn't like.

Parabalus

Arcane
You'd probably sing a different tune if you did a xbow only build on release or something similar.

*before you begin to argue based on Hard/DOMINATING difficulty, I'm mostly talking from a perspective of a wimp who have no confidence in starting even Hard and have been playing on Normal mostly.

That might be the dissonance then, I've only played on Hard, switching to DOM after it was added.

I don't see how that would relate to the present time. I've already said that I made an objectively garbage build that tried to do everything, and it took a lot of effort and creativity to pass the wall that was in front of me. I can only imagine xbow build made by players on release or close to that face a lot of crappy situation but not as much and/or dire as that garbage build I made. They might felt like they're playing a build not truly optimized for the game (either partially or as a whole), but if they had fun with it, then they can replay the game with completely different build. And if they want to revisit xbow build (and also some players new to it want to try), xbow now have easier* time thanks to all the changes like special bolts new stackings and the new feats.

Your build had 3 PSI disciplines, where you put the rest of your points almost doesn't matter. PSI is insane since it offers (money-free) solutions to almost any problem.

It wasn't a garbage build by any means, it was strong.

I don't want UR to add a respec, but I can understand people not wanting to waste time replaying the game to make minor edits to their builds.
You know, your arguments don't really adds up at all. First, in context of the discussion we're having at hand, ortucis is a player new to Underrail, and since he's complaining about the game being linear I'd assume he's not get past Junkyard at this point. The whole stretch from SGS -> Junkyard aren't that long, and if he restart at any point along this stretch each restart should get him faster to the current point of previous character, so I don't see how those are waste of time, *unless* the game's truly not for him, of which upon that realization he should've uninstalled the game instead of coming here complaining how the game's 'start' can't be skipped (whatever 'start' he meant, anyway). So, if he's actually been restarting the game (otherwise, why would he be complaining about being unable to skip the 'start' of the game?) then he's truly a fucking retard to keep on putting skillpoints into skills he's not going to use. If he's actually haven't restarted the game at all.... well, why don't he just man up and accept the happy little accidents that he brought upon himself and start focusing on what he really wants to do with the build?

Okay, back to your argument not adding up. Based on what I said above, ortucis's problem is rather minor, like you also just said. But then, in your previous post, you gotta bring up not being able to use a level 25 char to try another build, AND xbow build made on release getting the short end of the stick. I'm pretty sure "being unable to use a level 25 char to try another build" and "dedicated xbow build on release being crappy" are completely different problem to "minor mistakes of wasting *some* skillpoints into skills you're not going to use much".

Now, suppose we have an option to respec a level 25 character into a completely different build. Then, what? What are you going to play? What content are you going to tackle after you respec your level 25 character into a different character? To get to level 25 in the first place, you need to tackle quests and clear areas, and especially if you're playing Oddity then you *absolutely* need to complete quests. What's left for your respecced character? Okay, say you're playing classic XP mode, then you can just autistically grind random areas where creatures are respawning, all the way to level 25, and you finally managed to get there. Fuck the time and effort spent to get to level 25 before even beginning to tackle quests, you finally get to respec your level 25 character to try a completely different build. The questions now is the difficulty of the content you're going experience. They were never designed to challenge a (respecced) level 25 character in the first place. Respeccing a level 25 character and have it restart from the beginning of the game is out of question, UNLESS it's New Game+. EXCEPT, New Game+ was never considered by Styg in the first place. I can only imagine all the adjustment, balancing, and design changes that the indie team has to do to accommodate Underrail New Game+ experience.

Look, first time players needs not worry about happy little accidents they've made in their build. At most, if they REALLY care about playing a build that's comfortable for them, then they should be restarting the game before even getting the quest to go to Junkyard, and I absolutely don't see how is that waste of time for people who's having fun. I was a newcomer to the whole fucking genre back then, and I man up to swallow the happy little accidents I've made with my first build. ortucis, registered to this forum in 2009 and presumably a veteran of the genre, should be able to do more than what I've accomplished.

There are extremely many traps which you can't understand until you use it. Example: my first char I played TC + Meta, so I picked the relevant feats.

Mental Subversion sounds great right, to boost Neural Overload damage and reduce resists?
Wrong, it's total and utter garbage. Enjoy a wasted feat.
You have no idea it's garbage from the description since the relevant game mechanics aren't exposed.

You seem to conflate a respec with a level reset? You seem to be arguing from that perspective.

There are valid reasons not to implement respecs (and I didn't change the above garbage feat like you'd likely accuse me of), but your "you better enjoy EATING THAT SHIT if you like the game" isn't compelling at all.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Your build had 3 PSI disciplines, where you put the rest of your points almost doesn't matter. PSI is insane since it offers money-free solutions to almost any problem. It wasn't build wasn't garbage by any means.
It's been 2-3 years since that build, so please bear with it. I remembered focusing more on sniper rifle, so Guns + PER, thus I don't have access to real good PSI feats. I don't even take Snipe, ffs! At most, I had Cerebral Trauma and the aforementioned Pyromaniac, and I don't remember taking any Psychokinesis feats at all. My PSI performance was mediocre, I had real good memories trying to bypass the mushroom forest by setting those spore turrets on fire so they would panic and not attacking me as I stroll past them, not to mention I had to get real creative during final boss fight as to not get tentacle-raped. It was an absolutely garbage build because "hybrid" couldn't even begin to describe it. "Jack-of-all-trades" is more like it, because compared to dedicated builds and proper hybrid builds like PSI-Sniper, my build can't do jackshit. I want to do it again in the far future, but no way I'm going to do it *exactly* that way.
Now compare it to ortucis who had minor mistakes like wasting *some* skillpoints into irrelevant skills, when presumably he hadn't get past Junkyard yet! Ortucis SHOULD man up and start focusing on builds he really want to play, or just uninstall it because it's clear Underrail isn't the kind of game for him.

There are extremely many traps which you can't understand until you use it. Example: my first char I played TC + Meta, so I picked the relevant feats.

Mental Subversion sounds great right, to boost Neural Overload damage and reduce resists?
Wrong, it's total and utter garbage. Enjoy a wasted feat.
You have no idea it's garbage from the description since the relevant game mechanics aren't exposed.
That was pretty unfortunate, but look at it this way: it's just one feat. It's still real unfortunate that you had to waste one feat point, but compared to the other 13 feats (assuming you were max level) then that one feat wouldn't put too much burden on your character archetype, ESPECIALLY since you seemed like you made a dedicated *TC* character, so you probably had some lucky stroke here and there, but you don't quite see it since you didn't understand the mechanics at the time. For example, you have performed several TC abilities upon an enemy, but the next move will decide between life and death, so you decide to stall the opponent by casting (say) Fear. If you haven't performed that several TC abilities before, then there's a higher chance that the Fear will be resisted. Thanks to Mental Subversion, however, the Fear proc'ed successfully, giving you the much needed time to inject yourself with PSI booster and finish him off.

I know the scenario above might not be exactly be what you experienced, but my point is that I don't see how your past experience, in conjunction to ortucis minor problem would warrant the need to respec at all.

You seem to conflate a respec with a level reset? You seem to be arguing from that perspective.
I don't know, you tell me. You're the one who brought up not being able to use your level 25 character to try a different build (and instead had to restart the game all the way from level 1) and also how *dedicated* xbow build sucks at release.
Maybe people gotta be more specific. Ortucis specified he simply wanted to revert that 15 skillpoints he wasted into xbow, and yet he's complaining about not being able to skip the start of the game. toro described a scenario where he took a wrong feat at level 5. Either scenario are completely different, and if what these people want is the ability to respec ONLY stats/skills/feats, then I'll say these fuckers wanted way too much.

There are valid reasons not to implement respecs, but your "you better enjoy EATING THAT SHIT if you like the game" isn't compelling at all.
That's a totally unfair analogy to what I've been saying. My point is that *minor mistakes* like mere 15 wasted skill points aren't that much big of a deal so "EATING THAT SHIT" is not even close, and I've also been saying the opposite: "If you don't like having to restart simply to correct minor mistake, then uninstall the game instead."

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So you're saying respeccing should be included for retarded autists who can't stand it if they got ONE wrong feat?

Agree. Playing Underrail from 2011 I guess, and I still don't know few things - usefulness of this or tha feat could only be tested in actual game, and difficulty level affects that, so my recent melee fist figher took Evasive Maneuvers and on Dominating it's not that useful - so what? It's still is a good build and game I'm enjoying, and I managed to clean out Fort Apogee with it.

Overall, I find all this fuss with this guy flinging shit all around in dire need of respec as another manifestation of autism that not worth time spent on it...

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Respect player's time, they said. No, you fuck, you should respect yourself by not wasting your own time sperging on the fact that the game has its own rules, system, and overall design that targeted audiences other than you!

I can understand asking for features that eliminate unnecessary tedium like backtracking, but a feature that would warrant significant design changes simply because you got 1 out of 14 feat wrong, or even fucking mere 15 out of 1080 skill points is wasted.... that's just like asking for a pause feature in Dark Souls.

ortucis

Prophet
Started a new build.

Everything was going fine until, out of curiosity and praise here, I put 5 points in chemistry to see what crafting is like. Went to a trader and bought grenade and bullet blueprints and .. meh! Looking it crafting screen lowered my "fun levels" at least -50%, reminded me of Original Sin's shitty crafting.. maybe not that bad, but still.

Going to load back to old save (a quest ago) and put those 5 points into something useful. I'll be honest, so far I've been doing fine with default armor you get at start. In-fact, my 11 hours playthrough was only with that shitty armor and a shoe I got for free cause of high mercantile skill. Had no reason to invest in better weapons too, only bullets and grenades, which you can buy cheap if you are high mercantile skill.

And I agree with others, game needs a respec option so people don't have to waste time.. actually, put in cloud sync for saves while you're at it. :dealwithit:

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
If cheating doesn't bother you, can't you just use cheats instead of asking the developers to have them activated by default?
:philosoraptor:
Oh right, you don't want to be called a cheater, you want your cheating ways to be as valid as any other.

I've never edited a save and I don't care too much about having optimal characters. Your strawmanning aside, the reason why I asked the question is because I can't fathom how anyone can get worked up about what other people are doing in a single player game. We're talking about a feature that is the easiest thing in the world to ignore. If I don't like something, I just don't do it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

My options were:

Anyway, how limited are we talking here, anyway, and how do you propose to limit it?
What if after I respec that level 5 feat I make another mistake? Should I have to live with that when I couldn't live with the first one? I'd say the game isn't respecting my time if it doesn't allow me to respec every time I think I made a mistake .

I like the cut of your jib but you are fighting the wrong person :)

The purpose of that run was to see how much damage can I get from a sniper rifle. I don't know the specific feat but I needed that feat :) For Science!!!

I almost never respec my characters in RPGs (like ever) and I love to play with broken builds (and try to fix them) but this one time I really wanted to experiment with sniper builds.

That being said, I think it's fair to say that this was not a legit run. I also abandoned it later.

There are many ways to implement limited respec: only freeze feats on level up, allow 1-2 wildcards per run for respec-ing a feat, unlock respec after 2-3 complete playthroughs (NG+) and so on.

As you said, complete respec is cancer. I don't disagree with you on that.

This a stupid platitude.

I prefer to call it a truism.

Care to argue with it? What hurrtucis is saying is simply: "I want all games to cater to me".
So, no, fuck you. Play games that "respect your time" and don't fucking ask for cheating to become standard gameplay in everything.

Ask ortucis

I was speaking about "If you have no time for a game - then just don't play." which is a platitude.

Look into the dictionary: Truism is essentially a platitude aka a true statement which is also banal, shit and boring.

You can hold yourself to a higher moral standard but it's a waste of time to expect the same thing from others.

I don't see how the logical conclusion from that is that cheating should be encouraged. Do the cheating on your own.

But why do I bother. It will happen anyway. It's the obvious next step in decline. And it will be praised and called innovation and become part of the "quality of life" standards and gaming journalists will use it as proof for how evolved and refined gaming is today.

I never said that cheating should be encouraged.

I don't cheat but I no longer care if someone else cheats: that person robes itself of the pleasure of discovering the game. It's their problem.

That's all.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
... snip ...

Complete respec is cancer because the causal chain is broken: you can have the optimal build for any situation or obstacle. There is no challenge and the game experience is basically meaningless (*except for bragging on the internet).

Read the above. You are arguing against things I never said.

And no, it can't be included in game, because desing should take into considerations existance of respec.

No. The game design is not impacted by allowing re-specialization or not: you are not inventing new builds
Yes, they do. The most common theoretical problem that I see people brought up against respeccing in Underrail is that one can abuse respeccing by making a dedicated crafting character to craft all the good stuff very early, and when they respec they can just zero their crafting skills and maximize other skills of the archetype they want to play. To prevent that, what part of the game you need to change?

It looks like respec is the hill you decided to die for.

The only issue is that you don't know what you are talking about.

There is no link between the game's design and respec. The game doesn't have to prevent shit.

Read the first point.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Your strawmanning aside

How the fuck is that a strawman but yours isn't? It's the same kind of logic... why don't you just ignore it... well, why don't you just use cheats?

I can't fathom how anyone can get worked up about what other people are doing in a single player game. We're talking about a feature that is the easiest thing in the world to ignore.

Because it's a slippery slope. Because it's not much different than putting IDDQD as a toggle in the options menu in DOOM.
Because this is how all shit, newfag features have become standard and are now "quality of life". This is what leads to cover shooters with health-regen.
Because if you want to cheat you can cheat without calling it "respecting muh time" or "quality of life".

There are many ways to implement limited respec: only freeze feats on level up, allow 1-2 wildcards per run for respec-ing a feat, unlock respec after 2-3 complete playthroughs (NG+) and so on.

As you said, complete respec is cancer. I don't disagree with you on that.

Yeah, except I really doubt it limited respeccing would be enough for those who ask for respeccing. Take ortucis here for example. He says he just wanted to switch out 15 points. Totally not a big deal, right? Except somehow it's such a big deal that he keeps crying about it. Do you think someone like this would be happy if he was allowed just that change? What about next time he needs 15 points to put into something else?

Black Angel

Arcane

There is no link between the game's design and respec. The game doesn't have to prevent shit.

Read the first point.
Alright. Let me clear this up with you for a sec. What 'respec' here you're talking about? A feature to revert level-up? Switch couple of skillpoints from one skill to another? Undo a feat point from spent to unspent?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Read the first point.
Alright. Let me clear this up with you for a sec. What 'respec' here you're talking about? A feature to revert level-up? Switch couple of skillpoints from one skill to another? Undo a feat point from spent to unspent?

I don't feel strong about these ideas but I will repeat what I already said:

1) Allow the player to experiment with any available feat until level up. Then on level up freeze his feat selection.

Example: I'm level 5 and on level up I can choose between 6+ feats. My idea is to let the player play with these available feats (but only one of them and any given time) until level up and then ask the player to choose a final feat from that set.

2) Allow 1 or more feat respec wildcards per run cause changing 1 or 2 feats will not fundamentally change you build.

Example: You made one wrong decision long time ago. Spend one wildcard to choose another feat and move on.

3) Unlock limited respec options on New Game++. As I said before, I'm against complete respec, I don't encourage it and I don't do it.

But a limited or even complete respec is a valid tool for advanced players to experiment with different builds in certain situations.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Lel people talking about restarts. Should have played the first time when DC creep was unnerfed. I went there as assault rifle build without W2C ammo. Needless to say, i restarted because i just couldnt handle DR of fungus cave monsters and my stealth was too low to evade them. There was no guide for the area, so i cluessly wandered around. My next playthrough was as stealth crossbow build, ive actually stockpiled special ammo, and went into DC with over 100+ electric/incendiary bolts, ive dusted off my notebook, made a hand crafted map of the area, and pulled through thanks to stealth and scribbing all shit ive gathered for the elevator and then solving the mutagen puzzle[no solver back then]. Yes i restarted at the end of the game, do i have any pretense to Styg? Absolutely not, i was just unprepared and went there with hilly billy attitude. Truth be told, you are not warned about DC and not being able to go back.

jungl

Augur
problem with underrail its a very combat focused game. If you mess up your skill point allocation you feel harshly punished. Original fallout was way more lenient with combat difficulty where you do not have to worry too much about it. Most people are normal and don't want to reroll their toons especially in a single player game. Original fallout was one of those game where people who dont even play rpgs would enjoy.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Lol UR is perfectly doable on normal with suboptimal build. Domination is pretty much undoable, unless you theorycraft special build. But normal, come on, you will have 100 spare hypos at the end of the game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
problem with underrail its a very combat focused game. If you mess up your skill point allocation you feel harshly punished. Original fallout was way more lenient with combat difficulty where you do not have to worry too much about it. Most people are normal and don't want to reroll their toons especially in a single player game. Original fallout was one of those game where people who dont even play rpgs would enjoy.

You are asking for common sense from unreasonable people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom