Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Apparently theres going to be a katana in the expansion (using the machete model).
Is it a katana? Or is it a machete named katana? Hmm?

ortucis

Prophet
I've been playing this game a lot lately, it's fun. The trading stopped bothering me a while ago since I have like 7000 coins and cash of both currencies sitting in my inventory, doing nothing. Also noticed that the mercantile skill isn't used much in dialogues. I think since I started the game like 30 hrs ago, I've used it about 2-3 times in dialogue (you can't even use it to get better rewards for most quests). But it's still useful for trading though I am going to stop adding points to it since every trader I come across has pile of expensive items dumped at their footsteps, since they run out of money and items I can buy instantly.

This game is more combat focused so I was expecting better items with traders, especially armors, but it seems like unless you are crafting, you'll be stuck using same equipment forever, unless you find a purple item or something better as a drop. While we're at it, fishing sucks. That small-ass pixel you need to click can be only fun if you are mentally challenged.

Definitely like exploring in this game though. Unlike something like Divinity: Original Sin, exploration is more fun in this game. You end up finding strange people and encounters.

cAKUblE.jpg

GAMRb79.jpg

TamZgm8.jpg

:hmmm:

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Any Underrail veterans that can give some advice? How viable is crossbows and stealth play style or should I just go guns and heavy armor? Also is better to use the oddity XP system or just classic?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any Underrail veterans that can give some advice? How viable is crossbows and stealth play style or should I just go guns and heavy armor? Also is better to use the oddity XP system or just classic?
Crossbows and stealth is very viable, I'm starting a playthrough with that very build. Guns and heavy armor works as well, just depends on what you prefer playing as. As for the XP system, oddity all the way.

Stealth crossbow is good. Crossbows are silent, so they work well for sneaking around picking off solo enemies without their friends hearing. The main weakness is that you're not very good at dealing with groups, but you can get around that with grenade spam or using traps. You also suck against enemies with high physical resist, but you can spam shock bolts against them, since the ingredients to make them are cheap and common.
Oddity is much better than classic.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I've been playing this game a lot lately, it's fun. The trading stopped bothering me a while ago since I have like 7000 coins and cash of both currencies sitting in my inventory, doing nothing. Also noticed that the mercantile skill isn't used much in dialogues. I think since I started the game like 30 hrs ago, I've used it about 2-3 times in dialogue (you can't even use it to get better rewards for most quests). But it's still useful for trading though I am going to stop adding points to it since every trader I come across has pile of expensive items dumped at their footsteps, since they run out of money and items I can buy instantly.

This game is more combat focused so I was expecting better items with traders, especially armors, but it seems like unless you are crafting, you'll be stuck using same equipment forever, unless you find a purple item or something better as a drop. While we're at it, fishing sucks. That small-ass pixel you need to click can be only fun if you are mentally challenged.

Definitely like exploring in this game though. Unlike something like Divinity: Original Sin, exploration is more fun in this game. You end up finding strange people and encounters.

cAKUblE.jpg

GAMRb79.jpg

TamZgm8.jpg

Monster! You killed the poor cats! Should have stealthed around them!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

cAKUblE.jpg

GAMRb79.jpg

TamZgm8.jpg

I stealthed around this area in June, and then after not being able to break through to SGS, last night I had to stealth back through them again. One of the many cool things about this game is how you can wander into areas where you are definetly not supposed to be yet (I am lvl9 in my current playthrough). Those Lunatics and Ironheads are high level gangs.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm glad you're finally getting a hang of this game. Anyway, Mercantile has a lot of use in dialogues, but mostly in purpose of letting you access exclusive and premium merchandise at certain traders across the gameworld, so I'd say even if you're non-crafter, you MIGHT had better luck unlocking special merchandise and find good shit at them as you invest in Mercantile. This is actually a new feature implemented at some point, so now Underrail, aside from Arcanum and maybe AoD, are probably the only RPGs where haggling/trading skills have meaningful gameplay purposes other than spicing up dialogue checks and increasing selling costs/reducing buying costs.

You monster!

MY KITH AND KIN!

ortucis

Prophet

I am like level 19, exploring the railways without thinking. I shoot everything cause I have 0 points in Stealth. Anyone in my sight gets shot or gets Persuaded. :smug:

I'm glad you're finally getting a hang of this game. Anyway, Mercantile has a lot of use in dialogues, but mostly in purpose of letting you access exclusive and premium merchandise at certain traders across the gameworld, so I'd say even if you're non-crafter, you MIGHT had better luck unlocking special merchandise and find good shit at them as you invest in Mercantile. This is actually a new feature implemented at some point, so now Underrail, aside from Arcanum and maybe AoD, are probably the only RPGs where haggling/trading skills have meaningful gameplay purposes other than spicing up dialogue checks and increasing selling costs/reducing buying costs.

I've only found 2-3 dialogues with Mercantile skill use. I did forget to mention, the hidden trader I found (Railway Crossing) cause of high perception and a trader near SGS that gives you extra hidden loot to sell if you have high mercantile.

But here's the thing. He had NOTHING of value. I keep coming back to these hidden traders and all other traders and they still have same shitty items. Hell, all good stuff they have is the stuff I sold them. I have a pile of expensive guns, armor, components and grenades at the feet of every trader I come across cause they have nothing to trade with but money, which runs out the moment I sell 2-3 items.

I played for 3 hours yesterday, kept coming back to traders, nothing amazing. Hell, most of them STILL don't even have MKII level grenades, forget MKIII level grenades I am carrying in my inventory. I think I found one trader selling 2 MKIII grenades by accident. This is ridiculous. High mercantile skill should at least unlock higher grade inventory for traders player meets. Else high Mercantile is pretty useless. My last two level ups, I've ignored upgrading the skill anymore.

Seems like a waste when I have over 14K cash and even more expensive inventory on the ground in front of them. :negative:

What IS funny is that I was initially saving up money, not even spending it on Ferry's, thinking it'll be hard to come by, walking all the way to my objectives. Now I just throw cash at them like they are strippers.

Black Angel

Arcane
ortucis have you gotten to Core City? Most of the good shits I remembered are available once you're joining the factions. Higher grade 'nades will also only beginning to show up as you progressed further and further into the game. Also, certain traders actually can sell higher grade of premium merchandise, but obviously you need to come back to them once you have higher Mercantile skill.

Open http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mercantile at your own risk, if you don't care and want to metagame a bit

ortucis

Prophet
ortucis have you gotten to Core City? Most of the good shits I remembered are available once you're joining the factions. Higher grade 'nades will also only beginning to show up as you progressed further and further into the game. Also, certain traders actually can sell higher grade of premium merchandise, but obviously you need to come back to them once you have higher Mercantile skill.

Open http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mercantile at your own risk, if you don't care and want to metagame a bit

I've already been to Core city, explored it all, joined up with one of the big houses. In-fact, Core city shops are some of THE worst. They never have higher grade nades for me, forget rifles and armor. I've found 3-4 purple rifles in the wild, but they are kinda useless since they are for like 5mm or similar ammo I barely use (in-fact, I dumped like 1K 5mm ammo and 600 7.6mm just to free up weight yesterday).

And the best part? I got all my higher grade assault rifles and nades from Junkyard, like 10 levels ago. Still using them cause no other shop can match the quality of equipment so far. In-fact, I even find MK-III nades in Junkyard shops sometimes. :hahano:

My mercantile skill is at 100, along with Persuasion at about 65. Not sure I want to invest more points in Mercantile though.

ortucis

Prophet
Joke's on you for not crafting.

I mean, it would be a problem if enemies were dominating me.

But they aren't. After 30 hours, I finally remembered that I could increase the combat speed, so now I am having even MORE fun killing everything with 7 burst fire from assault rifles (I save sniper for initiating combat with critical insta kill).

So not getting more advanced hardware from shops isn't really a big of an issue. That's why I am still playing. If I was having a hard time surviving without crafting, I'd have ditched this game already.

I have given up on "crafting" in these games. Unless it's 7 Days to Die like survival game, fuck crafting.

EDIT: Now that I think aboot it, I should go join up with those Prostate guys, they asked me to be an ambassador of peace and shit for SGS, but I got distracted and went away to kill more things. I am waiting for those Coretech bastards to call me back for more work too, maybe open up some traders.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
ortucis perhaps the game is punishing you for shitting on its trading mechanics before :P

I am waiting for those Coretech bastards to call me back for more work too, maybe open up some traders.
You fool! The name itself suggest the faction is much better suited for tech junkies aka crafters! So, yeah, you'd be in a better world if only you joined the Protectorate AND the Praetorian Security in Core City to gain access to straightforwardly much better equipment, instead of crafting components that those guys from Coretech will be providing.

Though, I think Coretech might sell some good energy-related shits like shields and energy weapons, so once again you'd have to rely on luck, or try unlocking next tier of special merchandise from their quartermaster.

Though, I think Coretech might sell some good energy-related shits like shields and energy weapons
The energy pistols sold by shops come without mods, so they're trash. If you want energy pistols you need to make them yourself, no way around it. Don't even try otherwise.

Black Angel

Arcane
The energy pistols sold by shops come without mods, so they're trash. If you want energy pistols you need to make them yourself, no way around it. Don't even try otherwise.
Yeah, the mods are too good to pass. I like that energy weaponry in Underrail are much better suited for crafters and tech-junkies. Phase Gun is cool, but sadly only available in DC. Hopefully with the expansion, there will be more remarkable and noteworthy unique weapons.

ArchAngel

Arcane
My first playthrough was stealth crossbow guy using oddity system. It is viable (but look for proper builds before you start) but you will be depending a lot on traps and grenades. I would say that combined with oddity system is hardest to play build in the game.
If you want to make it a bit easier on yourself, play with classic XP system. You level up faster and the combat will be a bit easier as a result. But then you will need to murder stuff a lot more instead of just stealthing through.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
My first playthrough was stealth crossbow guy using oddity system. It is viable (but look for proper builds before you start) but you will be depending a lot on traps and grenades. I would say that combined with oddity system is hardest to play build in the game.
If you want to make it a bit easier on yourself, play with classic XP system. You level up faster and the combat will be a bit easier as a result. But then you will need to murder stuff a lot more instead of just stealthing through.
Always go oddity if it's your first time. Always. If you want to make it easier on yourself, lower the difficulty, don't skip one of the most innovative features that Underrail brings to the table. And crossbow+stealth is fine, that's what I did my first time through and it was a lot of fun.
Don't look up builds. What the hell? Half the fun is creating a character yourself. There's really no need to deprive yourself of that--Underrail isn't that hard.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Always go oddity if it's your first time. Always. If you want to make it easier on yourself, lower the difficulty, don't skip one of the most innovative features that Underrail brings to the table. And crossbow+stealth is fine, that's what I did my first time through and it was a lot of fun.
Don't look up builds. What the hell? Half the fun is creating a character yourself. There's really no need to deprive yourself of that--Underrail isn't that hard.
It is very easy to fuck up a character, especially when making one of the weaker builds. You can make your own Psi guy or your own Assault Rifle guy because they overpower enemies easily.
Crossbow Stealth guy does not. Personally I didn't follow any guides (mostly because I played it just after release when only info about the game was from people playing the early access version and some of that info was no longer valid at release) but I did read a bit (as I played it for few weeks) about which perks I should go for and which crossbows are good and that I should invest into crafting some. My character did end up working in the end but that might have also been luck.

For people that don't feel like starting over it is better if they look up a build for stealth crossbow trapper as a baseline.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
It is very easy to fuck up a character, especially when making one of the weaker builds.
I don't see how. If you want to make a stealthy crossbowman you put points into Crossbow and Stealth (and Dodge/Evasion since you need some kind of defence, and you won't be sneaking around in full plate--besides, you won't have the Str for it). You choose attributes based on how useful they are to those skills/that playstyle. If you've ever played Fallout, the distribution should be immediately obvious, and if you haven't, there are tooltips. There you go, that's all you really need at the end of the day. Then you can supplement with crafting skills and such if you need to. I started off ignoring them altogether, but it soon became obvious that I wanted some Mechanical and Chemistry to make mines and grenades (which, as you point out, go very well with this build). Then I started putting points into those skills and didn't have a problem. Same with Electronics for shields later on. I was never really hurting for skill points. I had shitty Int, which meant that my crafted shit kind of sucked, but that's just a tradeoff. It was also very obvious to me which perks were the most useful, or at the very least useful enough not to be a waste of a perk.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is very easy to fuck up a character, especially when making one of the weaker builds.
I don't see how. If you want to make a stealthy crossbowman you put points into Crossbow and Stealth (and Dodge/Evasion since you need some kind of defence, and you won't be sneaking around in full plate--besides, you won't have the Str for it). You choose attributes based on how useful they are to those skills/that playstyle. If you've ever played Fallout, the distribution should be immediately obvious, and if you haven't, there are tooltips. There you go, that's all you really need at the end of the day. Then you can supplement with crafting skills and such if you need to. I started off ignoring them altogether, but it soon became obvious that I wanted some Mechanical and Chemistry to make mines and grenades (which, as you point out, go very well with this build). Then I started putting points into those skills and didn't have a problem. Same with Electronics for shields later on. I was never really hurting for skill points. I had shitty Int, which meant that my crafted shit kind of sucked, but that's just a tradeoff. It was also very obvious to me which perks were the most useful, or at the very least useful enough not to be a waste of a perk.
That is not true. You need to hit specific thresholds with stats to access more shots per round which is critical for a build like crossbow that is already struggling to match damage output of other weapons. It is fairly easy for new players to just not specialize enough, to not have stats needed and pick perks needed.

Parabalus

Arcane

Not my experience - with oddity you have to farm low% monster drops to get every XP point (hi pigs), while on classic you have no need for that since there is so much more XP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom