Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Black Angel

Arcane
- For lulz, put 25 points in mechanics to try to mod my guns. Couldn't figure out how to disassemble anything, bought few blueprints (have many lying on floors around the world as well) to try creating an assault rifle with high quality components I was carrying, couldn't. It requires high skill level for Mechanics AND electronics to assemble different parts. Well that was all pointless. Unless you dedicate yourself from level 1 to crafting, it's useless at end levels completely.

- Finally found use for my money. My new home:

jtANKcJ.jpg

IlROeQo.jpg

I feel like this game is trolling me with all this and decorating/fixing your home is pointless, just there to waste player money. But that money has been sitting in my inventory and growing only since shops don't sell good quality equipment majority of the time. So fine, I'll waste it on this.
Actually, you can invest in crafting pretty late, maybe as early as midgame when decent quality components begin to pop up here and there, especially since the main gameplay purpose for player's house is actually to boost your character's crafting capability.

Basically, all I want to say is
4a4.gif

Not investing in crafting, only to waste your money on something that's main gameplay purpose is to help crafting :hug:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I began investing in crafting at lvl 14 because I want to craft myself an even better sniper than the one I got as a reward from Camp Hathor. It's completely doable to reach appropriate levels of crafting skill within 2-3 levelups, especially when you take into account that there are ceilings for how much you need in skills like crafting, hacking, evasion and dodge. At least that's what I've read.

ortucis

Prophet
Basically, all I want to say is
4a4.gif

Not investing in crafting, only to waste your money on something that's main gameplay purpose is to help crafting :hug:

:roll:

Yeah, no. I'm not an idiot. I saved the game, spend money unlocking everything for the house. Realized it was pointless. Loaded back and moved on.

Haven't been to the house for hours now.

Also, the game makes it pretty clear that the house unlock helps with crafting. Keeps telling you about the guy who blew it up, trying to hammer that point in. It isn't a state secret.

Nice GIF though. :smug:

PS: To those who still are pro crafting in this game. There is STILL no point in doing it. Only reason I tried to do it was cause I was bored of using same equipment to kill everything in my path. I am NOT suffering from not having crafted anything. Notice my inventory, I am always stocked up on ammo and grenades. I wipe enemies out with grenades alone, funneling them into tight corners. In-fact, the way I see it, unlike you normies, having shitty trader sold equipment is more challenging for me during combat. :obviously:

Tygrende

Arbiter
PS: To those who still are pro crafting in this game. There is STILL no point in doing it.
I would say that making customized gear that is much better and allows the player to tweak his playstyle is a pretty good point.

I am NOT suffering from not having crafted anything. Notice my inventory, I am always stocked up on ammo and grenades.
Yeah, stocked on MK III grenades, MK I EMPs, molotovs, one focus stim, one aegis, tons of normal ammo and some W2C. Someone with crafting on the other hand would have MK V grenades, MK III EMPs, napalm grenades, effectively endless supply of focus stims/aegis and enough W2C ammo to never bother with normal ammo again, except maybe for some trash encounters.

I wipe enemies out with grenades alone, funneling them into tight corners. In-fact, the way I see it, unlike you normies, having shitty trader sold equipment is more challenging for me during combat. :obviously:
I don't think anyone every said crafting is mandatory, it's just both very good and fun. Playing without it is definitely harder (anywhere from slightly to very depending on the build) so having no crafting is a good idea if you are looking for a challenge. That said, you are also playing with a legacy XP system that makes leveling much faster, so it kinda evens out. I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with the final area in the game. What difficulty are you playing on?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Psi builds caould be different.
Usually it's psi+stealth, dunno, get some Agi and take some movement feat, like Sprint, this will help.
Or you could go for Thick Skull.

Goromorg

Savant
Tranquility PSI with riot gear. Warning! This is seriously overpowered build, play at your own risk!
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQQDAwcDEAoAAAAAAABGUGEARi9kACREwofCh8KHMgA5KwgkPxQqZA5QIT1nZkhX
Don't invest into crafting until you are done with other skills.
In order of importance: Psi skills>Stealth>Lockpicking+Hacking+Traps>Persuasion>Electronics>Tailoring> Mechanics>Biology>Mercantile.
You don't need more than 100 effective skill in lockpicking and hacking, and more than 75 persuasion before Deep Caverns.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Psi builds caould be different.
Usually it's psi+stealth, dunno, get some Agi and take some movement feat, like Sprint, this will help.
Or you could go for Thick Skull.
Tranquility PSI with riot gear. Warning! This is seriously overpowered build, play at your own risk!
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQQDAwcDEAoAAAAAAABGUGEARi9kACREwofCh8KHMgA5KwgkPxQqZA5QIT0uZ0hX
Don't invest into crafting until you are done with other skills.
In order of importance: Psi skills>Stealth>Lockpicking+Hacking+Traps>Persuasion>Electronics>Tailoring> Mechanics>Biology>Mercantile.
You don't need more than 100 effective skill in lockpicking and hacking, and more than 75 persuasion before Deep Caverns.
Thanks for suggestions, especially one with crafting. Also some guides suggest ditch out hacking because there no oddities in hacked crates. Is it true?
How about playing game with your own character first time, eh?
In many cases when I search/ask for build from other people, I don't copy&paste results, I compile build from different sources + add something from myself, after I test my creation and decide nice build or better change concept.

Goromorg

Savant
Containers with mechanical and electronic locks sometimes have oddities, but not very often.
Hacking is also useful in quests and can give you additional information about the game world.
I don't recommend skipping it on your first play-through.

ortucis

Prophet
I am NOT suffering from not having crafted anything. Notice my inventory, I am always stocked up on ammo and grenades.
Yeah, stocked on MK III grenades, MK I EMPs, molotovs, one focus stim, one aegis, tons of normal ammo and some W2C. Someone with crafting on the other hand would have MK V grenades, MK III EMPs, napalm grenades, effectively endless supply of focus stims/aegis and enough W2C ammo to never bother with normal ammo again, except maybe for some trash encounters.

I admit, I would like higher quality grenades since I'm a professional grenade chucker and enjoy setting everyone on fire the moment a round starts, but honestly, I barely use EMP and Molotov has been my primary choice for trapping everybody. Frags to finish them off. Cause of ready-made equipment, I die in some encounters and have to reload, act fast and use different strategies for trapping the AI. I love that, maybe that's why I am not bored yet.

Only stims I use are health, haven't used any others. I keep selling them (my inventory in screenshot is filled up cause I was running around trying to sell everything I could). So yes, game is even more challenging since the only other thing I eat (other than health stims) are burgers and steaks. :lol:

I primarily spray everyone with burst fire and most die out with regular ammo use. Only on harder fights I switch to AP. Plus with double burst feat, I am even more deadly the moment the round starts.

Again, I admit, my choices have made most fights harder for me. But I like the challenge so far. I don't think I would want it easier.

How about playing game with your own character first time, eh?

Agreed. I don't get it, there's no fun in reading wiki's and even creating characters others find "perfect" builds. Experiment, fail and reload, experiment again.

Black Angel

Arcane
:roll:

Yeah, no. I'm not an idiot. I saved the game, spend money unlocking everything for the house. Realized it was pointless. Loaded back and moved on.

Haven't been to the house for hours now.

Also, the game makes it pretty clear that the house unlock helps with crafting. Keeps telling you about the guy who blew it up, trying to hammer that point in. It isn't a state secret.

Nice GIF though. :smug:
Aww, man, don't worry, only teasing you there :love:

PS: To those who still are pro crafting in this game. There is STILL no point in doing it.
I would say that making customized gear that is much better and allows the player to tweak his playstyle is a pretty good point.
Eh, I think ortucis meant that in context of his specific playthrough. Like, there's no point for him in investing in crafting at this point now that he's quite far in developing his character.

It would be really dumb, however, if he make a crafting character AND still saying there's 'no point' in doing it after experiencing the glory of crafting super steel equipment, optimally modded weapons, and MK V 'nades that can wipe out a mob of scums with a well-placed throw.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Trying to pre-plan my first post-Expansion playthrough. Shotgun+throwing? Going in with a sawed off + lobbing nades just seems... right.

Do shotguns have a str requirement?

ciox

Liturgist
Trying to pre-plan my first post-Expansion playthrough. Shotgun+throwing? Going in with a sawed off + lobbing nades just seems... right.

Do shotguns have a str requirement?
Yes, at least 5 for most shotguns.

ortucis

Prophet
Eh, I think ortucis meant that in context of his specific playthrough. Like, there's no point for him in investing in crafting at this point now that he's quite far in developing his character.

It would be really dumb, however, if he make a crafting character AND still saying there's 'no point' in doing it after experiencing the glory of crafting super steel equipment, optimally modded weapons, and MK V 'nades that can wipe out a mob of scums with a well-placed throw.

Yup, I meant for my build. I can see the use of crafting, but for that, you'll have to dedicate a build from level 1. I am level 22, it's waste of points at this.. point.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can anyone give some advice on the Balor fight? I'm a level 16 sniper/assault rifle/grenades and getting my ass kicked. Am I approaching it too early?

ciox

Liturgist
Can anyone give some advice on the Balor fight? I'm a level 16 sniper/assault rifle/grenades and getting my ass kicked. Am I approaching it too early?
Pretty sure you want to divide those guys as much as possible, fight them separately, abuse the doorways by keeping stunned or trapped enemies stuck in them, and try to leave combat to recharge/etc before they all pile up on you, so you can come back with a new adrenaline rush and all cooldowns reset, the terrain and difficulty of the fight pretty much encourage all of this.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Actually, I haven't seen any.

Has anyone tried in the testing of Underrail the new psionic discipline? I wonder if we'll have a new trainer at South Gate Station to give us help on that.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Pretty sure you want to divide those guys as much as possible, fight them separately, abuse the doorways by keeping stunned or trapped enemies stuck in them, and try to leave combat to recharge/etc before they all pile up on you, so you can come back with a new adrenaline rush and all cooldowns reset, the terrain and difficulty of the fight pretty much encourage all of this.
Eventually I did get through it by abusing the area entering and exiting, but it felt very cheesy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom