Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Black Angel

Arcane
HOLY FUCK THIS EXPAC ISN'T OUT YET, STYG Y U HATE MONEY, BREH!?
WHY MUST U DO THIS TO US ALL?

NOW A MILLION MICRO-ISSUES JUST APPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE IN RESPONSE TO YOUR CRY FOR INCLINE!!!!!

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

track02

Novice
Going to try and get into this again after messing up my first character a few months ago and dropping it - would unarmed without the psi powers be workable?
Starting with 10 Agility / 10 Dexterity and a few points in Intelligence(?) for crafting

Going to try and get into this again after messing up my first character a few months ago and dropping it - would unarmed without the psi powers be workable?
Starting with 10 Agility / 10 Dexterity and a few points in Intelligence(?) for crafting

Yes, mundane brawlers work. I'd put 5 in int and the rest in strength, then level up dex at every opportunity. Even with such a simple build, you're gonna be tight on feats, so choose carefully. I'd ignore all subterfuge skills except stealth (but if you don't level traps, get escape artist), favoring throwing/dodge/evasion/crafting. I'd have three main gloves; reinforced pneumatic in one hand, and spiked electroshock in the other, but with a reinforced electroshock when you know you're going up against robots and other heavily armored enemies.

track02

Novice

Yes, mundane brawlers work. I'd put 5 in int and the rest in strength, then level up dex at every opportunity. Even with such a simple build, you're gonna be tight on feats, so choose carefully. I'd ignore all subterfuge skills except stealth (but if you don't level traps, get escape artist), favoring throwing/dodge/evasion/crafting. I'd have three main gloves; reinforced pneumatic in one hand, and spiked electroshock in the other, but with a reinforced electroshock when you know you're going up against robots and other heavily armored enemies.

I tried leaving strength at 3 and put everything left over in int, didn't know you'd get +X% damage for strength over 5 on gloves so maybe an issue there.
All was going fine until the junkyard where I'm now getting my ass handed to me by the mutants - I think I need another level or two and some grenades

With gloves, do I want to stick with leather for the lower AP costs or is metal better for the damage?

I tried leaving strength at 3 and put everything left over in int, didn't know you'd get +X% damage for strength over 5 on gloves so maybe an issue there.
All was going fine until the junkyard where I'm now getting my ass handed to me by the mutants - I think I need another level or two and some grenades

With gloves, do I want to stick with leather for the lower AP costs or is metal better for the damage?

Don't worry about the strength. Stick to leather; metal is for brawlers that max strength. Craft some mutated dog leather, and get the best frag grenades you can buy (gort sells the best) or make. Incendiaries are good too.

mundane brawler has many possible approaches. My fav are:
metal armor with that bleeding attachment/taste for blood feat/ hyper toxicity feat with leather gloves for the obscene stacking bleeding/poison for organics (of course needs str for metal armor so might as well keep that sledgehammer in offhand for tincans and emp grenades for robots)
max strength with powerfist. 16 str. with powerfist str bonus (unique metal gloves) that combined with 3rd strike combo feat with heavy punch. well lot of butthurt for the one being punched. keep elather glove in one weapon slot, do 2 punches with taht. then switch to powerfist and heavy punch with that. oogle at the obscene damage.
(of course psionics si amster race. thought control and psychokines with brawler is gg)

track02

Novice
I'd spread myself too thinly across too many skills and couldn't craft anything, started again this time as pure psionic and all seems to be going well - just got through junkyard which is a first!
Thanks for the tips about brawler though, next playthrough (or reroll) I'll try it again now that I understand the game a bit better

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

Well, I dunno...

t some point in the beginning metal gloves seems to be more efficient, at least if you have Str, and not high enough yet Dex at least agains't armored enemies like goliath or metal armor. Later leather is better.

Are psions getting nerfed in the expansion?

Quite contrary.

track02

Novice
I just can't put this down now, must have sunk in about 6 hours yesterday and already thinking about what I'd do differently in another playthrough.
I've finished off the Arena & Gauntlet, took the base with Gorsky and got the house from the Coretech quests, now at the Protectorate base (Fort something)

As I have no weapons to maintain and only ever occasionally buy some psi/health boosters can I dump all my money into the house upgrades or is there anything worth saving for that's useful for psionics?

ciox

Liturgist
I just can't put this down now, must have sunk in about 6 hours yesterday and already thinking about what I'd do differently in another playthrough.
I've finished off the Arena & Gauntlet, took the base with Gorsky and got the house from the Coretech quests, now at the Protectorate base (Fort something)

As I have no weapons to maintain and only ever occasionally buy some psi/health boosters can I dump all my money into the house upgrades or is there anything worth saving for that's useful for psionics?

Super Steel might interest you even as a psionic, you can use it to make some nice boots depending on your playstyle, like say Infused Pig Leather Tabis if you're low on CON.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of the arena - can you suggest atactic for a sniper/guns oriented charactervs the Carnifex, where the Carnifex gets to move first? He leaves me at a sliver of health and with a ton of status effects, and I can barely do anything when my turn comes.

track02

Novice
Speaking of the arena - can you suggest atactic for a sniper/guns oriented charactervs the Carnifex, where the Carnifex gets to move first? He leaves me at a sliver of health and with a ton of status effects, and I can barely do anything when my turn comes.
It's a tough one, took me several reloads before I got lucky enough to survive his opening attack.
From there you need to stun/daze him for long enough to get out of the net and recover (flashbang or crossbow bolt might be your options).
Then when you're free to move try and kite him around the arena and save stuns/dazes/roots for his cooldowns whilst slowly wearing him down with attacks.

I mainly used the ice psi power which reduces movement points but theres a cryo chemical pistol that does the same sort of thing and also an acid one which roots enemies in place that might be worth trying.

Last edited:
Well, use root soda for the initiative boost; it could make a difference. Craft a double low amplified shield emitter. Wear riot armor, with solid-padding metal boots; alternatively, solid-padding infused pig leather armor. Equip a taser, the best incendiary grenades you have, and some crawler caltrops. If he gets to you first, throw the caltrops at his feet, try to tase him, and run using adrenaline if you have to, then try to set him on fire.

Sykar

Arcane
I really want to make a full stealth PSI build but I so hate to miss all the mines, secrets and enemies in stealth since you cannot get a decent Perception score on such a character.

ciox

Liturgist
I really want to make a full stealth PSI build but I so hate to miss all the mines, secrets and enemies in stealth since you cannot get a decent Perception score on such a character.

It's not that bad, you can always just spam the fuck out of Metathermics powers to deal with mines and enemies.
Also, you could just try to make an unconventional build like a perceptive mage, now that you know the game inside and out.

There's at least one other unconventional mage build you can do which is pretty fun, and that is the very high CON mage, already somewhat encouraged by feats like http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fast_Metabolism, and in Expedition there is even more incentive to create such a mage, or so I've heard...

I just started a stealthy psi wizard last night, with 3 per and no points in traps, and he's spotting mines and hidden stalkers (before he spots them). You have to be in stealth when exploring, and don't just beeline everywhere.

Sykar

Arcane
I just started a stealthy psi wizard last night, with 3 per and no points in traps, and he's spotting mines and hidden stalkers (before he spots them). You have to be in stealth when exploring, and don't just beeline everywhere.

I have been playing with my PSI Sniper and 10 perception and you do not spot Death Stalkers with such a low perception before they spot you on Autistic difficulty.

It's not that bad, you can always just spam the fuck out of Metathermics powers to deal with mines and enemies.
Also, you could just try to make an unconventional build like a perceptive mage, now that you know the game inside and out.

There's at least one other unconventional mage build you can do which is pretty fun, and that is the very high CON mage, already somewhat encouraged by feats like http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fast_Metabolism, and in Expedition there is even more incentive to create such a mage, or so I've heard...

Do you mean the aura? Does it trigger mines?

If you have enough mechanics you can make some metal armour specifically for that fight. It's not like you'll be moving much, and fist weapons get a penalty against armour so it'll cut his damage down a lot. Use junkyard surprise and just save/load until it gives you +2 strength if you don't meet the requirements.
You can also try using flashbangs or molotovs. Just throw them so they just barely catch him in the blast and don't hit yourself. If a molotov sets him on fire that's three turns of him panicking and doing nothing so you can happily shoot him. If a flashbang incapacitates him then you can hopefully restealth and then one shot him with snipe.
If you have any electronics (and if you're a sniper you should) you can make a taser. Tasers are 100% accurate so you don't have to worry about his dodge (though he can resist the stun with fortitude, which he also has a lot of), and once he's stunned it sets his evasion to 0 so you can get a turn of spamming him without him dodging anything. And then he misses his next turn due to the stun, so that's good too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom