Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Blaine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    im in generous mood today, you can view my new larping trickster build. Who knows, if you cry over tinker changes you might go for it

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?EAMOBwMDBQkAKABaKABaWjIoPFBHMAoLAAAAAAAAACgEHRYGE1wxSwAa378

its aimed for lvl16 so that most of your toys are ready to hit expedition. This is not mmo to optimize for lvl 30+ endgame. That being said it focuses mostly on stabbing so you will do fine regardless.
    Main points:
    - boosts int at the expense of agi to dab into all crafting skills
    - this makes us lose blitz: good, free boost to ap(although you wont take blitz before 18lvl)
    - leave tailoring for late game. Idea is to use rathound king leathers longer. Early game harder due to loss of siphoner armor
    - focus stims are to make up for losing blitz
    - being worse at stabbing due to dropping blitz... possibly will be stronger due to higher crit chance once start wearing infuser rat leathers boosted with skinner feat. Stealing will provide money for super steel tries
    - still can hit agi 10 with items to use all shortcuts
    - late game reach 11PER for discovering secrets purposes
    - hit depot with mk3 grenades and grenadier. Enter expedition with mk4

Here is plan for lvl20, full potential of stabbing capabilities:
    http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAMPBwMDBQkAKABuKABuWjIoPFBJTxxQAAAAAAAAACgEHRYGE1wxSwDChV0a378

few points in electronics are still missing missing(best plasma grenades) and biology(need 95 for perception drug). Once you take care of it you spec suddenly freed points per lvl into throwing to start utilizing poisoned throwing daggers, fatal throw and crit from 3pointer

If you want to drop larping and focus on mmo late late game, drop dodge and stealing. This will net 80 skill points early game. From feats you drop fancy footwork and burglar. Pick sprint and improved sprint on epic lvls.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    After much experimentation,

Show Spoiler
    The ideal negotiation package with the pirates where you give up the least shit needs 100 effective persuasion. You offer to pull Aegis cruisers from the entrance, give them all the info you know and ask for ability to move through their waters, and offer to deal with the natives. You could probably replace one of these if you wished with something from the camp, but I didn't run any tests on it, so you might have to give more than one thing.

^ Top  
  3. Spark Mandriller Scholar

Spark Mandriller
    Dodge is bad since low penalty characters can just use their high mobility to keep away from melee enemies most of the time.
    Evasion is fine. It's not meant to be your only defence, it's just part of it. As a low penalty character you have stealth to kill threats before they can fight back, mobility to back up to safe places at the end of your turn, evasion to maybe dodge things, shield to absorb damage from shots that do hit, armour to absorb damage from shots that pierce your shield. It doesn't need to work 100% of the time.
    Also look into tactical vests. They can be just as light as leather if you don't use a plate, and they're much better against bullets. If you get lucky you can buy a 110 quality laminated panel as soon as you find the drill parts, and that gives you 30 DT vs bullets for only 10% penalty. Combine that with a shield and you'll be able to survive the shots that get past your evasion no problem. Leather is good early on and later once you get super steel, but during midgame it kinda sucks since the quality stops going up.

^ Top  
  4. hell bovine Arcane

hell bovine
    Depends. I went through at level 7 (and of course shortly after scrapped the character to try a different build, lol) with a 3 perception guy. He had 25 in traps, paranoia, goggles, trappers belt and detected just fine. Didn't snack on anything, though I remember finding bat food which adds 15(?) or so detection, so it could be an alternatve if you don't have any traps skill.

Admittedly, I tend to "move & stop to detect" in suspicious areas, which is a leftover from playing IE games where I got plenty of rogues killed by being to impatient.

^ Top  
  5. Marten Broadcloak Learned

Marten Broadcloak
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Yes. Disembark on the south-eastern side, on the cave shore across from the battleship.

Watch and despair as I destroy all of your arguments with two words:

Show Spoiler
    Rathound Regalia

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    As I pointed out several pages ago, 3 PER dudes with Paranoia and Trappers Belt will see all Depot A traps just fine, just not instantly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Paranoia is absolute shit in this context. It's +20% of a score that's already garbage because you have very low PER. I can put on +80-150% fucking goggles instead later on in the game and not burn a feat, which is what I usually do on low-PER heavy melee guys.

That's why they added all the other shit to Paranoia, but it's still shit. You know what would make it NOT shit? An additive bonus that scales in the same way the derived attribute does! But nope, you get +20% to your already-shit score.

I'm not picking a shit feat just survive one dungeon without cheesing. I'd rather scrounge around for more levels first and muddle through. What you CAN do to finish Depot A at lower levels isn't necessarily what's DESIRABLE to do when it affects the entire rest of the damn game, which is also why the acid puddle avoidance feet can suck my cock.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    OK? I'm saying that a low PER character at ~level 7 can survive Depot A without reloading 20 times until your molotov lands exactly right and your dice roll exactly correctly. The ability to see traps despite low PER is a part of that.

Of course you can build a different kind of character and/or go in at level 8, 9, 10, 11, as you like. Did anybody on planet Earth dispute this?

You were claiming that level 7 dudes cannot do Depot A without ridiculous cheesing. I also find such play unfun, so if that was the case, I would just have come back later...?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Rathound Regalia is a godsend. I can't imagine playing my Psi-Sniper without it, as I don't have enough points to budget it in tailoring for the leather armor. There is a new unique armor in the game though that I believe might be better. I am still looking for it.

Also managed to beat wave 2 without any deaths or a plasma turret. Locus of Control + Engrage, with the proper use of Force Field is huge.

^ Top  
  10. Spark Mandriller Scholar

Spark Mandriller
    30 DT vs bullets is pretty nice though.

^ Top  
  11. hell bovine Arcane

hell bovine
    Which is your personal preference and has nothing to do whether you can or cannot do mutant land without quick-reloading at low level and with 3 perception.

I've found it useful on that character, then again I dislike quick-reloading. Just like I've found sure step & caltrop herding useful with my chem girl, even before she could craft chem pistols.

^ Top  
  12. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    What can you do with the monolith at the Black See entrance? I came to it from the pirate base, but couldn't interact with it from the cave. On the main map there is a hotspot which I can't reach though.

^ Top  
  13. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    So are shotguns shit weapon choice? How feasible are other new weapons, like spears and shit?

^ Top  
  14. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    That makes it even more of a Beast-only thing.
    Offense and corners are the best defense in this game. 3 CON is the masterrace.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    the most chad of builds
    8 str
    10 con for thicc skull
    10+levelups in perception
    AR burst tin can.
    DOMINATE everything (as long as you have the ammo)

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    What did you guys do with the Black rock monolith in the natives temple?

^ Top  
  17. ciox Learned

ciox
    They're all kind of support weapons, you don't create your whole build around them like you would with an SMG, AR or fist weapon.
    Better have a backup plan because throwing all your chips into just one of the new weapon types will lead to pain, unless you're someone who does Dominating Iron Man runs anyway.

^ Top  
  18. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Show Spoiler
    Like Marten said, go to a shore across the battleship. More specifically, like Yahota mentioned, try to sneak from between G4 and H4, there's a lot of blindspots there though you still need to watch out for pirates scouts. If you landed there, you should ended start entering the Port from Katya's homestead.

Show Spoiler
    There's another exit (or perhaps transition?) grid hidden by the caves walls. Should be able to enter a small cave space where you can see the entire Black Sea from there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. the mole Educated

the mole
    alot of tin can fags in here so I think my question is appropriate, I've been running light armor psi Grenadier commando, what does triple reinforced super steel resistance look like, because the numbers from the wiki didn't impress me, yet it only shows 1 plate of reinforcement at 100 quality

^ Top  
  20. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Shotguns are fine weapons but ultimately they cost 25 ap and they don't have aimed shot so pistol/sniper/assault rifle do *far* more disgusting things

You can easily do a shotgun playthrough, just on Dominating it might be pretty difficult. They are basically mostly balanced vs the other classes of weapons that can alpha strike 4 enemies from full to zero

^ Top  
  21. the mole Educated

the mole
    I feel the shotguns niche is when you're looking at 5 enemies cramped into a doorway or 5 name any cave creature all stacked in front of you in about a 50 degree cone

then you hit that burst and kill them all, that's assuming you don't have the movement to get away, and your ar is probably out of ammo, so I see it as only moderately viable on tin can type builds that don't have movement

on the other hand if you have patience and want to camp and kite all day then it's a beautiful weapon, that's assuming you have the movement to run away

I think the shotgun needs commando to compete with the ar, and smg, you can just do so much more with them

^ Top  
  22. Spark Mandriller Scholar

Spark Mandriller
    Pumps only cost 20 if you're using the foregrip upgrade (and you should be), so three shots with adrenaline/contraction. If you're using an auto shotgun you can't lower the cost but you can just burst for 50 so you still get at least three shots. They do pretty nice damage so I think three shots per round is alright. I'd sure as hell take them over firearm pistols.
    Or at least that's what I thought before the buffs/nerfs from the most recent patch. I need to play around some more to get used to them.

^ Top  
  23. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    Repeat after me:
    AR is the CHAD of Underrail Firearms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus

Thanks, you have to mouseover the exit to find it, missed it.

Found some scales on the ground, which weren't there when I entered expedition, makes me think they are from
    Show Spoiler
    Yngwar

What did you do with the key you get, is it the mcguffin for the native temple?

^ Top  
  25. Rinslin Merwind Savant

Rinslin Merwind
    Yeah, but I didn't learned e-imprint until after I killed him. :oops:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)