Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Must be some Expedition shit. I'm finally able to purchase the jet ski I want, and can actually start (well, properly start) the expansion. :lol:
It's expansion content, but it starts
in Rail Crossing.
Go do it now.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I could make a hint for you, if you like. Or you could find it yourself anyway.

I was possibly the first person here on the Codex to figure out who The Dude really was before he became The Dude. Gotta remember, I've been playing this game for ages.

Sounds like some new stuff has been added, though. Neat. All I know now is that he gives you some fast travel options, not too spoiler-y considering I know his entire backstory.

ciox

Liturgist
I've just finished Nexus of Technology and Expedition has managed to kill my Underrail enthusiasm.

The first part of the game which ends with Depot A is absolutely great. Then Rail Crossing, Camp Hathor, Foundry and Core City are not bad either.

But the Black Sea area is just a mess filled with unmemorable locations and encounters grind. Yeah, it's not as fucked up as Deep Caverns but it's not far either.

Exploration used to be fun but now it was reduced to a complete slog because:
- The entire Black Sea area is divided in equally tiny regions (with few exceptions) which means that you don't go far without a loading screen,
- Stealth/cloaking device is mandatory because the new mobs aggro like crazy and you never know what hits you next,
- If you manage to enjoy the tediousness then you will be happy to find out that all of your efforts were rewarded with an empty container.

Some other remarks:
- While the previous locations were handcrafted and fun to explore: Nexus is basically the same layout copy-pasted 5 times.
- With max Perception and +76% detection bonus I still cannot see the fucking spiders.
- Water Locusts are cancer.

I don't know but I feel like taking a break from the game. I'm not enjoying it. Imho the vanilla content is better than the expansion's content.

It's safe to say the multi-route dialogue-filled areas where your enemies are potentially neutral/allied/clueless depending on your actions and your ability to bluff or manipulate, are some of the most time consuming to make, given all the work that needed to be done for the expansion's new content and mechanics there might not have been as much time left for making that type of area.
There's also a factor that no matter what artwork or developer you're enjoying, everyone starts to rest on their laurels somewhat the further they develop their craft after "making it", it is pretty much inevitable and not worth getting upset about.
For me the decline is pretty small and there's still a ton of fun to be had with the expac, even if most of the fun is outside the main quest of Expedition, try riftwalking or going on pirate raids for instance, it's like Slaving from Fallout 2 except actually made challenging.

Parabalus

Arcane
Toxic gas grenades really make a joke of the Beast fight. I thought wizards had it easy, but this is hilarious.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I could make a hint for you, if you like. Or you could find it yourself anyway.

I was possibly the first person here on the Codex to figure out who The Dude really was before he became The Dude. Gotta remember, I've been playing this game for ages.

Sounds like some new stuff has been added, though. Neat. All I know now is that he gives you some fast travel options, not too spoiler-y considering I know his entire backstory.
Who was he?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I get peoples frustration with the Expansion, but I really think people are exaggerating things. Perhaps I've been spoiled due to my build which allows me so many options to deal with any kind of enemy, but other than the locusts (which did suck), nothing was really that bad. I enjoyed kiting around the statues with caltrops, electrokinetic imprints, and doors so that I can pop into stealth at a far enough distance so that they couldn't take me out of it, and I could utilize Snipe. The conversation with Todd, and Abysall Station Zero as a whole is very interesting. I enjoyed the Mutie Camp and my conversations with the Ferryman, and there were some damn cool locations and items in the new expansion. I feel like people's expectations were just a little too high, and they got let down. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement, but I still enjoyed the expansion overall.

Tigranes

Arcane
I get peoples frustration with the Expansion, but I really think people are exaggerating things. Perhaps I've been spoiled due to my build which allows me so many options to deal with any kind of enemy, but other than the locusts (which did suck), nothing was really that bad. I enjoyed kiting around the statues with caltrops, electrokinetic imprints, and doors so that I can pop into stealth at a far enough distance so that they couldn't take me out of it, and I could utilize Snipe. The conversation with Todd, and Abysall Station Zero as a whole is very interesting. I enjoyed the Mutie Camp and my conversations with the Ferryman, and there were some damn cool locations and items in the new expansion. I feel like people's expectations were just a little too high, and they got let down. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement, but I still enjoyed the expansion overall.

It's not horrible, the question is, is it actually good content? Is it interesting to deal with the Hives and locusts, whether you're just stealthrunning past them or fighting them? Is it interesting to delve into 4-5 identical abandoned research centres, kill a gazillion stone statues using the same one trick for your build, and then reading a bunch of loredumps filled with every scifi trope ever?

Todd is fantastic, the Captain and other Aegis folks are very well written, and Underrail's superb underlying systems will support some fun combat scenarios in any given map/encounter. The specific complaint being raised is that when you look at the map / encounter / quest design of Expeditions areas specifically, they are not very good or fun.

I took a Speardude into Expedition, got really bored with the Black Sea, rerolled as a Sniper, enjoyed it, got bored again with Black Sea, suffered through it. Half of me now wants to reroll, play some other build and just ignore the Black Sea. That tells you something (including how good Underrail is).

Blackmill

Scholar
Finally finished my first playthrough since Expedition came out. Some end game loot.

177Q cyclon crossbow. Was better than the 172Q hornet through the deep caverns since I was often able to proc ambush. Killed Tchort in 5 shots the first turn. Could probably do in 4 with better damage rolls.
lcy6YU0.png

This kills just about anything in one burst if you can get close enough. Some bosses (i.e. the faceless commander) take two. 172Q parts I think. Better to boost accuracy than take a muzzle brake since your damage is already overkill. Can be 70-95% burst accuracy 9 tiles out depending on the enemy.
KiN7zID.png

Shield, ~150Q parts, actually protects well against low speed projectiles.
4bzbkgU.png

An all tungsten armor set (each piece ~148Q) I used for much of the 20s. But I got tired of carrying rathound steaks. Also, knew I needed a regen vest for the deep caverns.
Ntyxipo.png

Primary armor for the deep caverns. Some of the reinforced plates weren't great but I didn't want to wait longer.
YVRVvfN.png

Was able to make one with better armor pieces after the deep caverns but no regen vest... 148Q super steel, 176Q tichrome, 149Q tichrome, and a 136Q super steel if I remember correctly. With 56% armor penalty, you can actually sneak in this thing.
DQGHFSs.png

Rebel, 173Q. More likely to whiff than the hornet but also higher upside. Gets you another 1-2 kills per turn if you can line up your targets and get a bit lucky with the damage rolls on the first two shots before sixth shell can make your hits reliable. Rancor not pictured, but one of few uniques that compares to the best you can craft.
ZZ6TpDb.png

Laser pistol, 160Q circular wave amplifier, 163Q (?) laser emitter, ~140Q efficiency thing. Forgot to take with me to the deep caverns but it would have been good with how many opportunities to ambush there are. Has over 1000% critical damage when focused with +10 critical power.
E3O0dy2.png

Didn't use this during the game, but in testing after the deep caverns, it's really good. Can cooked shot pretty much every turn with temporal increment. Doing damage over time doesn't matter since the enemies will be feared and can't shoot back. I want to say parts were 167-173Q.
TJVgnDa.png

Reaper, 164Q, if I really need to kill something in one shot. I think only the faceless commander can survive an aimed shot.
0yvy1hT.png

Spearhead, 165Q, a little more convenient than the reaper against most targets. Usually the crossbow was much better.
ngAmQxJ.png

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Given the across the board hate being shown for certain gameplay aspects of the expansion, I wonder how these weren't addressed during the testing phase where community members were giving feedback.

What exactly do you mean?

I thought it would be clear, but the past several days have been filled with people growing either insanely pissed or insanely bored of the xpack. Just look anywhere around the past 10 pages or maybe more, there it is, wherever you look.

LJ40

Cipher
If anyone is still looking for pesticide for the new gas grenades
There's several in the Horticultural center in the Black Sea

Has anyone found blueprints for Hypercerebrix or Third Eye yet?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

The expedition doc was selling the Third Eye BP when I first arrived.

Toxic gas grenades really make a joke of the Beast fight. I thought wizards had it easy, but this is hilarious.

I discovered that Bladelings are immune to frost when I tried to use cryogas grenades during the final sequence.

It's unbelievable how utterly useless they are.

LJ40

Cipher

The expedition doc was selling the Third Eye BP when I first arrived.
Damn. I wonder if he loses it if you give the mutants medical supplies. Almost positive he doesn't have it in my game. I'll double check though.

Edit - Yeah, the only expansion blueprint he has is the coagulation shot now. Unless it's random maybe the mutants have it now?

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Damn. I wonder if he loses it if you give the mutants medical supplies. Almost positive he doesn't have it in my game. I'll double check though.

I'm not playing a psi guy this time, so of course he had it available for me.

Speaking of which, it occurs to me that a lot of food is now far more expensive than most medicines. I think it's safe to say we went a little bit (and by "a little bit" I mean a great deal) too far with the massively inflated food prices. It makes sense that food is precious in a post-apocalyptic scenario, but that goes triple for medical supplies.

That furthermore reminds me that battery weight-to-energy ratios are fucked up. All three of the pre-Expedition batteries weigh 0.10 per each; larger batteries offer fractionally more energy per charon in a sensible progression. Greater Fusion Cell follows this pattern of offering more value, but it weighs 1.5, meaning that it's complete garbage compared to Plasma Cells. 1.5 weight of Plasma Cells offer 3,000 energy. That's 6 times more energy for the same weight, in exchange for only slightly less value efficiency.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Speed ran through DC (it's so much easier after you've gone through it once already considering the fact that you know where everything is. Being overleveled af helps too), and I go down to face Tchort. Haven't done the mutagen puzzle, and I haven't even started to blow up the mutagen tanks surrounding him. I just walk up to him in stealth, switch to Black Arrow with armor-piercing rounds, and 1 shot him using snipe doing 2k+ damage. Both satisfying, and anti-climatic.

Tigranes

Arcane
GFCs seem to me only useful to keep in cargo and use for jetski refuel and other special scenarios.

You're usually swimming in money, batteries, and like 60 hypos after level 10, anyway.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
For some reason the game just crashes after I click an "End Game" option. I don't get a cutscene like I should. Any ideas?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
lj140 you haven't actually contributed anything for me to rate your posts, I haven't seen an intelligent thought from you

Maybe you don't have thoughts and have a low iq
Maybe I do. Or maybe your faggot ass would be better served modding Arcanum like a good little bitch.

What is up Drog indeed

Edit - I will say it's mighty impressive after 2 tries you've almost become literate enough to spell a four fucking character name.
imagine following every post from a person and rating it because it affected you that deeply

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I gotta say, the game not having a way to sort by weight is annoying as hell. I'm getting really tired of playing "What the fuck is weighing me down?".
yep having to manually look at every item in your inventory is a drag

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
After a while, you learn the general sort order, even in the aggregate tab. Also, there are category tabs. Try using those.

If you leave your inventory alone after you sally forth, then newly acquired loot will pile up at the bottom, unless it stacks with what you already have. The big shiny metal armor and hammers are usually heavy.

Inventory management can be daunting in this game, but it helps to pay attention to what you're getting and maybe even read item descriptions instead of mindlessly grabbing everything.

LJ40

Cipher
lj140 you haven't actually contributed anything for me to rate your posts, I haven't seen an intelligent thought from you

Maybe you don't have thoughts and have a low iq
Maybe I do. Or maybe your faggot ass would be better served modding Arcanum like a good little bitch.

What is up Drog indeed

Edit - I will say it's mighty impressive after 2 tries you've almost become literate enough to spell a four fucking character name.
imagine following every post from a person and rating it because it affected you that deeply
Imagine stalking someone who rated your posts unfavorably and being a butthurt little half-a-bitch about it.

Tigranes

Arcane
After a while, you learn the general sort order, even in the aggregate tab. Also, there are category tabs. Try using those.

If you leave your inventory alone after you sally forth, then newly acquired loot will pile up at the bottom, unless it stacks with what you already have. The big shiny metal armor and hammers are usually heavy.

Inventory management can be daunting in this game, but it helps to pay attention to what you're getting and maybe even read item descriptions instead of mindlessly grabbing everything.

I get it if the player wants to be OCD and grab everything, but otherwise... even on Hard, after the first couple hours, you can basically ignore 90% of the loot and still have more than everything you need. Crafting characters will generally stop finding anything they want to equip, so you're usually just picking up medicine, money, oddities, repair kits, batteries, and then checking the specific crafting parts I know I need. Maybe a couple nice guns (2 wgt 10k value) to sell each dungeon.

I just can't see why I'd ever bother picking up metal armour or sledgehammer, and after reaching Core City, every locker or corpse is basically 1 second cursor hover, no uniques or great quality components, pass.

Sure, you could be lugging 800 guns and knives back, or sit there recombining them all into repair kits, but then you have over 10k money without doing any of that, so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom