Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
Mutie Island, what happens if you lie to Seegar that Chief Briggs gave you the ok to give them supplies? Don't have persuade on this char.

I killed them all already :positive:.

But good to know I ran into a bug, makes more sense. Next time I'll probably ally with them.

Joining the pirates if you're running a melee char is probably the most rational choice you can make in the entire game.

I'll probably still have to kill them for the captain's cutlass and the bandana, I doubt they're pickpocketable.

ciox

Liturgist
Mutie Island, what happens if you lie to Seegar that Chief Briggs gave you the ok to give them supplies? Don't have persuade on this char.

I killed them all already :positive:.

But good to know I ran into a bug, makes more sense. Next time I'll probably ally with them.

Joining the pirates if you're running a melee char is probably the most rational choice you can make in the entire game.

I'll probably still have to kill them for the captain's cutlass and the bandana, I doubt they're pickpocketable.
Sure, soon as you're done chatting with Razor.

Isn't the Cutlass kind of crappy because of the extremely low minimum damage? I guess it's more like the Boxing Gloves of sword builds, something you switch to when ending your turn.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anyone checked the persuasion level necessary when trying to switch over to the Pirates side DURING negotiations? Also, does going to the pirates lock you out of getting ACoNR?

razvedchiki

Erudite
Plasma grenades use electronics plus throwing?

Saw some scary screens with hundreds of locusts and i believe my scimitar dude will not be able to parry them all,gonna need some good old aoe.

Parabalus

Arcane
Has anyone checked the persuasion level necessary when trying to switch over to the Pirates side DURING negotiations? Also, does going to the pirates lock you out of getting ACoNR?

When, if not during the negotiations?
By attacking Briggs directly in the keep, when he grabs you?

hilfazer

Scholar
Plasma grenades use electronics plus throwing?

Saw some scary screens with hundreds of locusts and i believe my scimitar dude will not be able to parry them all,gonna need some good old aoe.

Plasma nades have smaller AoE than chemical ones so just buy/loot good old low tier frags.

Parabalus

Arcane
Version 1.1.0.13

Tweaks
  • Fence door made a bit easier to click
  • Reduced the maximum combat and movement speed up while in turn-based mode to 500% (down from 1000%) to avoid it glitching out some abilities
Looks like sticking to the release version was a good choice, every patch gets dumber and dumber. Back to CE's Speedhack I guess.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

You can approach the Pirates at any time and ask to join them before you open the keep and they steal Oldman. Regardless, what's the persuasion that's needed? It's definitely higher than 100, IK that.
Version 1.1.0.13

Tweaks
  • Reduced the maximum combat and movement speed up while in turn-based mode to 500% (down from 1000%) to avoid it glitching out some abilities
Looks like sticking to the release version was a good choice, every patch gets dumber and dumber. Back to CE's Speedhack I guess.
It is a valid bug. There are times when you get stuck in combat due to people glitching out and it takes way longer than it would have at say 500 for example.

Viljushka

Novice

You dont need to parry them, just make a decent heartbreaker serpent leather armor, it has such mechanical and bio treshhold that they wont be able to damage you. It's actually a great leather all-around for the expansion, especially the infused version. Counters spiders, locusts, lepers and heartbreakers (you can combine it with the aegis helmet too).

Parabalus

Arcane

You can approach the Pirates at any time and ask to join them before you open the keep and they steal Oldman. Regardless, what's the persuasion that's needed? It's definitely higher than 100, IK that.
Version 1.1.0.13

Tweaks
It is a valid bug. There are times when you get stuck in combat due to people glitching out and it takes way longer than it would have at say 500 for example.

Which area can you approach them? They always just attacked me on sight.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Version 1.1.0.13

Tweaks

Which area can you approach them? They always just attacked me on sight.
At F4 where the patrol is. That's the only place I believe, they attack you everywhere else.

Tigranes

Arcane
I just use both Speedhack and in-game speed. I'm playing Underrail for like the 12th time, I'm not really in it for immersion.

Of course, that moment when you win a big fight, go to loot, and standing on acid kills you in 0.5 real time seconds and you didn't save

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So, um, I finally started playing it. Probably a stupid question, but is there any way to heal other than with medical supplies? There is no rest option, right?

Tigranes

Arcane
So, um, I finally started playing it. Probably a stupid question, but is there any way to heal other than with medical supplies? There is no rest option, right?

Free healing from the SGS station doc.

Then hypos & bandages. You can use biology to craft hypos, but I'd say don't waste points if you aren't going bio for other reasons as well. You'll have plenty of hypos soon.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Riot Gear without armor sloping is around 45-50% armor penalty. Add in the armor sloping bonus it goes down to around 32-33%.
Tungsten shield is normally 26 penalty. With sloping that turns into 17, so that's 9 points saved. I dunno, spending a feat just to lower your penalty by 9 doesn't seem worthwhile. And that's assuming you use tungsten, too, if you use lighter metals the bonus is even smaller.
I guess it does lower the penalty for helmet/boots too though so that's good. I was just thinking about the riot gear specifically and ignoring the other slots, even though I shouldn't have. I'm dumb.

The thing is, I don't use metal helmets or boots. I suppose I could, and in fact spring metal boots would be quite helpful; the ability to HAVE a choice is versatility in itself, there. Still....

Really wishing I'd picked Nimble instead. I'd been away from the game for too long, and overestimated the effect of Armor Sloping on riot gear. Never in all of my playthroughs have I wished to cheat and trade one thing for another this badly. In fact, I may even pass up Sea Dog and just get Nimble instead. With Strider, Nimble, and Armor Sloping all combined, I'll have a ridiculous amount of MP for such a sturdy character.

Besides, spear Chads get Naval Jousting for free. :positive:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Riot Gear without armor sloping is around 45-50% armor penalty. Add in the armor sloping bonus it goes down to around 32-33%.
Tungsten shield is normally 26 penalty. With sloping that turns into 17, so that's 9 points saved. I dunno, spending a feat just to lower your penalty by 9 doesn't seem worthwhile. And that's assuming you use tungsten, too, if you use lighter metals the bonus is even smaller.
I guess it does lower the penalty for helmet/boots too though so that's good. I was just thinking about the riot gear specifically and ignoring the other slots, even though I shouldn't have. I'm dumb.

The thing is, I don't use metal helmets or boots. I suppose I could, and in fact spring metal boots would be quite helpful; the ability to HAVE a choice is versatility in itself, there. Still....

Really wishing I'd picked Nimble instead. I'd been away from the game for too long, and overestimated the effect of Armor Sloping on riot gear. Never in all of my playthroughs have I wished to cheat and trade one thing for another this badly. In fact, I may even pass up Sea Dog and just get Nimble instead. With Strider, Nimble, and Armor Sloping all combined, I'll have a ridiculous amount of MP for such a sturdy character.

Besides, spear Chads get Naval Jousting for free. :positive:
Am I tripping, or is the riot gear I'm trying to craft really shitty? This just doesn't seem good to me when I look at it.
upload_2019-8-14_13-39-20.png

I don't really know much about the quality of crafted items or whether or not these stats are good, so some advice would be appreciated. The Kevlar Cloth is only 76 Quality, I plan on using something at least 100. The regen vest is 98, the tichrome bar is 126, and the panel is 116. Anyone have any insight?

Also, does anyone know the persuasion check needed?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't really know much about the quality of crafted items or whether or not these stats are good, so some advice would be appreciated. The Kevlar Cloth is only 76 Quality, I plan on using something at least 100. The regen vest is 98, the tichrome bar is 126, and the panel is 116. Anyone have any insight?

Personally, I don't think that kevlar cloth is ever worth it on riot gear, although if you do use it, definitely go with a laminated panel (reddish, which is what you've got) to maximize DT. Consider adding kevlar tabi if going this route.

I prefer to use a bio carrier vest (for toxic gas faggotry) or sturdy vest, and aluminized cloth (for fire faggotry), which when combined with a TiChrome shield result in about 34-35% total penalty, with Armor Sloping. Kevlar cloth is quite heavy, and I think regenerative vests are, too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh by the way, I decided I wanted to know the population of SGS. If you count Captain Svana as a more-or-less permanent resident, it's 66 permanent residents, 3 visitors, and 2 deceased. If you count Captain Svana as a visitor, it's 65, 4, and 2.

Unfortunately, there are also the guys that spawn to help you fight the Junkyard battle. If we count them, then the best we can really say is "70ish".

Showing my work:

(Deceased: Terry Baker, Patrick Pierce)
(Visitors: Jack Quicksilver, That Psi Dude, Lenox Pierce)

Mobile Agents: Player, Gorsky, Lora Baker
Lower Underrail Station Platform and Barracks: 11 (incl. guard guy in underpassage)
Armory and Shooting Range: 2
Commons and Cantina: 17 (incl. Old Jonas)
Administration and Library: 9
Private Quarters: 1 (security guy)
Medical and Psionics: 6
Engineering and Cyber Labs: 7 (incl. security gal)
Agronomy and Pens: 5
Cave Tunnel Exit and Docks: 5 (incl. Capt. Svana, Mordre, Mushroom Cove guard)

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Personally, I don't think that kevlar cloth is ever worth it on riot gear, although if you do use it, definitely go with a laminated panel (reddish, which is what you've got) to maximize DT. Consider adding kevlar tabi if going this route.

I prefer to use a bio carrier vest (for toxic gas faggotry) or sturdy vest, and aluminized cloth (for fire faggotry), which when combined with a TiChrome shield result in about 34-35% total penalty, with Armor Sloping. Kevlar cloth is quite heavy, and I think regenerative vests are, too.
There are biohazard boots that you can literally throw on and walk through toxic gas whenever you want, so I can't be bothered to use a biohazard vest, and IDRC about fire faggotry too much. I was looking for a good quality sturdy vest, but haven't found one yet. I'll use whichever vest (regen or sturdy) I find that has a higher quality. I guess this is what is to be expected though considering the numbers you're quoting me. Some guy posted leather armor earlier in this thread though and their Mechanical Resistance was way higher than 23%. Am I just tripping about that number or does it not matter a lot?

Tigranes

Arcane
Keep in mind Riot Gear gets you that free 100% bonus to mech DT/DR for both melee and bullets, whereas leather armour would have to, say, put on Kevlar just for bullets. That said, leather can still be better than riot/vest in terms of protection v. armour penalty calculations for some characters.

It all comes down to what you feel your character needs - a slow walking juggernaut, someone with maximum movement and dodge/evade, etc. Same deal with regen vest: I love those, but they don't help if you're being one-turn-killed by a dude with AR, then you'd rather go for the max HP bonus.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
There are biohazard boots that you can literally throw on and walk through toxic gas whenever you want, so I can't be bothered to use a biohazard vest, and IDRC about fire faggotry too much. I was looking for a good quality sturdy vest, but haven't found one yet. I'll use whichever vest (regen or sturdy) I find that has a higher quality. I guess this is what is to be expected though considering the numbers you're quoting me. Some guy posted leather armor earlier in this thread though and their Mechanical Resistance was way higher than 23%. Am I just tripping about that number or does it not matter a lot?

In all frankness, the riot gear is mainly there so that I can look cool by carrying a spear and shield together.

A superpowered shield emitter, mobility, spear/shield blocking, and killing things quickly are ultimately more protective than your armor anyway. Besides, the deadliest foes for melee whompers (and also everyone else, including other psi users) are psi users, and your armor won't do shit against them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom