Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Psi-monk OP man ZHANG LU has killed the Beast. Nothing like Locus of Control + Enrage on a dozen swamp rathounds.

First Super Steel roll = 155. Not bad?

Did anyone find the Leumerian base under Port Craig? There was this interesting Spear

Yes, while thinking it was the Nexus of Technology the entire time....

I haven't found any Black Sea unique weapon worth using.
Honestly if they just made the Spear like 15 AP, and gave it a Shock/Plasma ability on impact, it would be a dope weapon that would definitely not be overpowered. Dragunov is hands down the best Unique weapon in the game.

Parabalus

Arcane
Just started the expeditions content, and these natives are messing up my machete-psi build with their throwing nets. What are the ways to counter that? I know there is escape artist, but is that worth the skill and feat investment?

https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Uncanny_Dodge

That's for melee attacks. I guess Escape Artist :(

Edit: https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fancy_Footwork
Thing I'm thinking is, even if I escape one net, there is another asshole with another net ready to go, aren't there some kind of boots or some shit that can prevent this?

EDIT: Do siphoner boots prevent throwing net immobilization?
not anymore. if only you invested in evasion... :happytrollboy:
fyi escape artist doesnt prevent future efect. You will shrug 1 net and receive another... Did you try using flashbangs?

Best get used to crying, the whole expansion takes a giant dump on melee.

Can someone post a picture of the Sonar gun? There is no way I'm solving this music puzzle.

It isn't that bad (the music stuff is just fluff), but I think someone linked a solver here, might try the official forums.

https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sonocaster

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really haven't experienced that yet. I sped through the Horticultural Center because I knew the one spot I had to enter from. I only had to kill the Hives inside, and maybe one or two outside. The rest seems hand crafted for melee, or at least for my spear build. The Crabs, Handmaidens, and Strongmen all get fucked by my Spear block, and I have this OP shield to deal with the rest of it.
upload_2019-8-15_0-39-26.png
For real though this Shield is ridiculous.1.6k extra health essentially. While I'm at it, check out my Tabis. Ended up being 131 quality infused leather.
upload_2019-8-15_0-40-43.png
This has actually been one of the most fun builds I've played.

Goromorg

Savant
Bros, I have a question - does nanocomposite plating protect from crits from psi powers?
If it does, IMO it's the best armor plate type even for psi builds.

Unrelated question - can I somehow replace armor sprites? E.g. I want stealthy tac vest to look like CAU armor in game.

Edit: apparently, this is possible - creature sprites are located in "...\UnderRail\Data\locale\creatures". To view them, you need to convert images from .XNB to e.g. PNG.

Last edited:

Candide

Educated
I'm intrigued by the idea of laser pistol wielding scientist build. With mechanical pistols you need to pump points into dexterity to lower the AP cost and combine smart modules with special attacks. I guess with energy weapons you'd go for crit damage bonus instead? The problem is that Gunslinger doesn't work with energy weapons so no AP reduction, no +7 initiative. Any recommendations for energy weapon builds?

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought I saw a screenie somewhere about this, and in fact

It seemed to suggest that you could disguise yourself while female, possibly with enough skill?

I also found the area quite easy to get stuck in. I assume you are perfectly fine with Persuade, but otherwise you get yourself an Officer's outfit and reach the 2nd floor, where there is no real way to fool the stationery Officer guarding the way to the magatzin keycard. Either you need 90 lockpick, or, in my case, I eventually made it by carefully timing the patrols, placing a force field in front of the stationery guy's face (which he didn't mind), and running off. Pretty sure that wasn't intended.

I don't think so.
I tried with my female sneaker and had to resort to the aforementioned sneaking. No matter what you do it ends in combat. The dialogue is funny, though.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
aaand? did you think it was worth it?

When I was really need it - SRO assault without revealing the spy - it sorta worked, but probably in such small amounts it's wasn't really noticable.
Dunno hpw explain.
It helped but not big time helped, though still helped.
As for Expedition - I don't really think it will help against locusts haha.
At least not on Domination.
If it's Hard - then Evasive Maneuvers is more useful.

Providing more information about how certain games handle randomness: statistically I believe that the player missing 3 times with 70% chance to hit is extremely likely to happen at some point

Dude, someone posted pic where he missed 6 times in a row 95% cth, and that was some very rare occasion.
Given amount of shots, hits in game per even one character, that shouldn't be rare.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Anyone experienced a bug where your jetski is slow? It's not overencumbered, and the battery is full.
I'm using Glow.

hell bovine

Arcane
I'm intrigued by the idea of laser pistol wielding scientist build. With mechanical pistols you need to pump points into dexterity to lower the AP cost and combine smart modules with special attacks. I guess with energy weapons you'd go for crit damage bonus instead? The problem is that Gunslinger doesn't work with energy weapons so no AP reduction, no +7 initiative. Any recommendations for energy weapon builds?
The answer remains the same: cheese it with temporal psi. The haste spell (psychotemporal contraction) & psychotemporal acceleration feat gives effectively the same ap with adrenaline with no fatigue aftereffect. And you can stack both. So thanks to the wonders of magic, you don't need super high dexterity and can invest these points into intelligence & perception.

The start will likely be tougher, since you can buy haste only after the depot. But not really that tough: if you pick up grenadier asap & buy limited temporal increment from Ethan (and even that you can get for free if you play a female character :lol:), you can just spam your way through with grenades.

Parabalus

Arcane
What armors do you guys run with on your DEX chars? The new leathers all seem garbage.

Rathound for damage, hopper for sneaking, heartbreaker/CAU to cheese the new enemies. Siphoner Tabi for slows, pig boots for CC.

I really haven't experienced that yet. I sped through the Horticultural Center because I knew the one spot I had to enter from. I only had to kill the Hives inside, and maybe one or two outside. The rest seems hand crafted for melee, or at least for my spear build. The Crabs, Handmaidens, and Strongmen all get fucked by my Spear block, and I have this OP shield to deal with the rest of it.
For real though this Shield is ridiculous.1.6k extra health essentially. While I'm at it, check out my Tabis. Ended up being 131 quality infused leather.
This has actually been one of the most fun builds I've played.

The spiders and natives who spam immobilized have me much more worried, though skipping cancer isn't exactly a good sign.

Sounds like you've figured it out already. Energy pistols you just use ambush and molotovs to kill everything. If the area's too light for ambush you can still hit ~50% crit rate with seeker goggles+infused rathound+focus stim+recklessness, so you're still really killy.
I went 10 dexterity but now that Expedition is out I'd probably go with 6 and just use contraction to get extra shots. Affording 55 skill points in temporal isn't hard because energy pistol builds already have high intelligence to make high technicalities work, and that also gives you a huge boost to crafting skills so you need less investment there than other builds.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Okay, a couple more stupid questions:

- The fucking dogs on the way to Shroom Lake, how do you kill them? I have a Level 3 sniper with some psi and a leather vest - yet those fuckers kill me within two turns.

- Is it a good idea to explore the tunnels on top some before the dog fight at the bottom?

- Where do you get the dog crate for the quest?

Tigranes

Arcane
shroom lake, dogs? are you doing the cave hopper for bret quest (quest 2)? but therr are no rathounfs or any enemies on the way from sgs. what?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
shroom lake, dogs? are you doing the cave hopper for bret quest (quest 2)? but therr are no rathounfs or any enemies on the way from sgs. what?

Yes, the cave hopper quest. You go south from the Old Jonas map and there is a pack of 6 dogs there, not rathounds.

Tigranes

Arcane
yeah, you should normally have a clear run. 6 dogs is too much for level 3.

big bret keeps crates, traps, nets in an unlocked room on that floor.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you think the dog random event is bad, just wait until you run into all the cats.

big bret keeps crates, traps, nets in an unlocked room on that floor.

As much as I like to help people out, I draw the line at enabling someone who can't be bothered to read the simplest instructions.

Also, this is the second person this week to run into trouble with the hopper quest (dogs excepted). :lol:

hell bovine

Arcane
Sounds like you've figured it out already. Energy pistols you just use ambush and molotovs to kill everything. If the area's too light for ambush you can still hit ~50% crit rate with seeker goggles+infused rathound+focus stim+recklessness, so you're still really killy.
I went 10 dexterity but now that Expedition is out I'd probably go with 6 and just use contraction to get extra shots. Affording 55 skill points in temporal isn't hard because energy pistol builds already have high intelligence to make high technicalities work, and that also gives you a huge boost to crafting skills so you need less investment there than other builds.
Hm, with 6 dexterity you could afford 9 constitution for survival instincts. Base critical chance for electroshock pistols is 5%, instincts add 30%, with equipment, focus stim, chips & recklessness specialization it should be possible to push the critical chance to 100%, even in the case when setting an ambush isn't possible. And with psychotemporal contraction & adrenaline you'd get 3 shots in. Or 6 shots with a laser pistol.
Of course, all this would make your character very susceptible to getting instagibbed by a critical. But hey, kind of fitting for a crazy scientist character!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
As much as I like to help people out, I draw the line at enabling someone who can't be bothered to read the simplest instructions.

Of course, and this has nothing to do with your perma-butthurt from previous discussions we had. You know, the ones where I showed that you are a liar.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Just did the quest where you sneak into that warehouse in Core City and steal a bunch of shields for Gorsky's street gang. Pretty tense stuff and raised my opinion of the game even higher.

I also like the character-building for Gorsky, so far all I know of him is:
-main military commander for SGS
-the defeated GMS station once put a price on his head, according to that one oddity
-Now he turns up in Core City with his old gang because he's butthurt at the Oligarchs and the Protectorate both
-Despises Vera, who is a pen-pusher and pro-Protectorate, and doesn't tell Tanner what he's up to

I love how sparse and how organic this character-building is.

hell bovine

Arcane
So I've been looking at temporal magic again. Someone check the math, but it looks to me that with future orientation & force user & limited temporal increment, you can just circle between stasis and force field. Meaning nothing will be able to retaliate between turns?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom