Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Drowed

Arcane

If anyone still has questions if he's a lurker around here. And yeah, I like the guy.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Damn, Sseth's review seriously got lots of people into the game. And the reviews I've seen so far as a result of that are positive. Let's see if this lasts even after they encounter their first Death Stalkers. :shredder:
Don't get worried guise, he warned on the video that Underrail is a serbian soviet depression simulator, existential depression and pain are expected. I think the people that are buying really know where they are getting into.

Jezal_k23

The game is actually being reverse review bombed. 96% positive recent reviews. I don't think Underrail has, in its entire lifespan, ever been received 96% positively.

SenisterDenister

Educated
The highest it ever got was 95%, I think. Then it started getting negative reviews from people that were bad at it. I'm hesitant to say it won't happen again.

Jezal_k23

The effect could be worse this time, because it really is a lot of people, some of them are bound to get over the "Sseth recommended it therefore it's good" effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
These newcomers are still coddled though, they get maps, walkthroughs, and inventory sorting. I lost in Deep Caverns the first time around for hours upon hours.

PrettyDeadman

The effect could be worse this time, because it really is a lot of people, some of them are bound to get over the "Sseth recommended it therefore it's good" effect.
Its very unlikely that even 5 percent will reach deep caves or smh. For majority of people play time would be around 12 hours with restarts, they would be lucky to reach core city.

SenisterDenister

Educated
These newcomers are still coddled though, they get maps, walkthroughs, and inventory sorting. I lost in Deep Caverns the first time around for hours upon hours.
I never once had a problem navigating the game pre-map update, I never even knew it was an issue until I saw people on forums bitching about it.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't get lost anywhere else except there, for some reason I totally overlooked the power station and went back and forth totally clueless for several hours. It really didn't help that the faceless hated my guts.

In the end it made the line you can deliver to Vera a lot better when she says that you're alive.

Blackmill

Scholar
I'm sure other people have come up with something similar, but here's a theory about the Cube and the Faceless Leader. Let me know if I overlooked any thing.

To first summarize, I think the Faceless Leader is the third Godman, and the Cube is used by the Godmen for transportation between different "planes".

Hints that the Cube has Godmen origin.

1. We know it's a power source for something, but it's too technologically advanced to be man made, which suggests a possible Godmen origin.

Hints that the Cube is a power source for moving between realities.

1. The Faceless Commander says "you wouldn't understand" what the Cube powers. I believe Six also says "you wouldn't understand" when pressed on where he came from. The underlying reason may be the same.

2. The Faceless commander explains that Tchort sought liberation and needed the Cube for this purpose. However, I'm guessing "liberation" does not mean escaping the Deep Caverns, but rather Underrail's plane of existence.

Hints that the Faceless Leader is the third Godman.

1. The Faceless Commander refuses to provide their leader's name. Six refuses to give Tanner's name since he says "name's carry power".

2. The Faceless Leader is described as having far superior ability and intelligence compared with the other Faceless.

3. The Godmen prefer to affect events indirectly through influencing mortals, instead of using their own vastly greater power. Being leader of the Faceless is an ideal position.

4. Tchort was expecting one of the Godmen to attempt to retrieve the cube. I initially assumed this was referring to Six, but we learn that Six had no intentions of personally retreiving the cube, and Tanner probably wouldn't either since he was being hunted by Six.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sure other people have come up with something similar, but here's a theory about the Cube and the Faceless Leader. Let me know if I overlooked any thing.

To first summarize, I think the Faceless Leader is the third Godman, and the Cube is used by the Godmen for transportation between different "planes".

1. We know it's a power source for something, but it's too technologically advanced to be man made, which suggests a possible Godmen origin.

1. The Faceless Commander says "you wouldn't understand" what the Cube powers. I believe Six also says "you wouldn't understand" when pressed on where he came from. The underlying reason may be the same.

2. The Faceless commander explains that Tchort sought liberation and used Eiden for this purpose. The Cube was presumably needed by Tchort to free itself. However, not from the Deep Caverns, but from Underrail's plane of existence.

1. The Faceless Commander refuses to provide their leader's name. Six refuses to give Tanner's name since he says "name's carry power".

2. The Faceless Leader is described as having far superior ability and intelligence compared with the other Faceless.

3. The Godmen prefer to affect events indirectly through influencing mortals, rather than using their own vastly greater power. Being leader of the Faceless is an ideal position.

4. Tchort was expecting one of the Godmen to attempt to retrieve the cube. I initially assumed this was referring to Six, but we learn that Six had no intentions of personally retreiving the cube, and Tanner probably wouldn't either since he was being hunted by Six.
Good but falls apart once you take into account that the Faceless Commander said their leader was initially created by the other scientists, and than liberated them. As for Six having no intention to get the Cube, Tchort couldn't/didn't know that, which means his statement regarding Godmen is a fair one.

Blackmill

Scholar

2. The Faceless commander explains that Tchort sought liberation and used Eiden for this purpose. The Cube was presumably needed by Tchort to free itself. However, not from the Deep Caverns, but from Underrail's plane of existence.

3. The Godmen prefer to affect events indirectly through influencing mortals, rather than using their own vastly greater power. Being leader of the Faceless is an ideal position.

Good but falls apart once you take into account that the Faceless Commander said their leader was initially created by the other scientists, and than liberated them. As for Six having no intention to get the Cube, Tchort couldn't/didn't know that, which means his statement regarding Godmen is a fair one.

Ah, damn. I'm not surprised I overlooked something. I was never too caught up in the lore. I just started thinking about how the pieces fit. I'm starting to vaguely remember a computer entry about one Faceless that some scientist had given extra privileges to. I think it's hinted that this Faceless became their leader. I could be wrong but that would be the real nail in the coffin, since otherwise, the Faceless Commander might have been lying or have been lied to about their leaders origin (he wasn't even around for the Revolt). Either way, I still believe the theory about the Cube.

hell bovine

Arcane

But you do know his name:
It's Otis, that faceless "assistant" the whatshisname apex technocrat let run loose. You can read in various scientist logs how they all complained about the security issue and how Otis would show up unexpected everywhere (he was likely preparing to free his brethen), but whatshisname was basically "FY, he's my creation, I do what I want". He was the original leader and also I think the commander tells you that Otis has died a long time ago.

I suspect that the player character might be
the third godman, or rather only a "half of". When you talk to Dude, he warns you that the worst is when you see yourself in the in-between. He compares it to getting your head split, and both halves watching each other with one eye each half has (which also implies that tchort and oculus represent two halves of a whole). It's possible that the third got split when time & space travelling, and you are one half, seeing only part of the picture but never the entirety of it.

edit: fixed spoiler tags

Blackmill

Scholar

But you do know his name:
It's Otis, that faceless "assistant" the whatshisname apex technocrat let run loose. You can read in various scientist logs how they all complained about the security issue and how Otis would show up unexpected everywhere (he was likely preparing to free his brethen), but whatshisname was basically "FY, he's my creation, I do what I want". He was the original leader and also I think the commander tells you that Otis has died a long time ago.

I suspect that the player character might be
the third godman, or rather only a "half of". When you talk to Dude, he warns you that the worst is when you see yourself in the in-between. He compares it to getting your head split, and both halves watching each other with one eye each half has (which also implies that tchort and oculus represent two halves of a whole). It's possible that the third got split when time & space travelling, and you are one half, seeing only part of the picture but never the entirety of it.

edit: fixed spoiler tags

Thanks, I remember that now. I've stopped reading any of the text in Underrail (except the expansion stuff) having played the game so many times. I definitely forgot about some of the lore details. But I like your theory. It sets up nicely for a second game if Styg ever goes down that route.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
more money for that sweet underrail 3D.
fuck no. NO NOOOO!

dont even post that shit.

keeep the same everything. expeditions proved they can make good graphics, with the same engine. it's not fancy but expeditions looks legit great and since it is pre-renderred, you can make it as good as possible without compromising on performance and cost. places like fetid marsh, where red grasses grow, along with the omnimous red fog covering the terrain, to ancient NFT ruins, with alot of clever pre renderred lighting combined with in game lighting system etc.

no. fuck your 3D shit.

just

Liturgist
more money for that sweet underrail 3D.
fuck no. NO NOOOO!

dont even post that shit.

keeep the same everything. expeditions proved they can make good graphics, with the same engine. it's not fancy but expeditions looks legit great and since it is pre-renderred, you can make it as good as possible without compromising on performance and cost. places like fetid marsh, where red grasses grow, along with the omnimous red fog covering the terrain, to ancient NFT ruins, with alot of clever pre renderred lighting combined with in game lighting system etc.

no. fuck your 3D shit.
voice actors are getting recruited as we speak

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Oh okay. Finally reached deep caverns.

So this is why this area is my least remembered part of the game.i think my brain repressed the memory to prevent ptsd. Despite finishing it my first time then, oh god the horror. I just remember the final boss and mutagen puzzle because they were kinda cool.

The never-ending mob spawn was easy, but it is also frustrating because i wanna explore every inch of the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom