Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Fair enough.
For some reason game won't allow me to make a screenshot, so I'm writing my starting build down:

Strength 5
Dexterity 6
Agility 5
Constitution 5
Perception 7
Will 6
Intelligence 6
Man, take a look at the feats before distributing base stats. This game rewards specialization in one combat skill, so sniper build, for example may look like:
Strength 7
Dexterity 3
Agility 6
Constitution 4
Perception 10+
Will 3
Intelligence 7

So sniper doesn't need dexterity and will?

Goromorg

Savant
He doesn't, yes. Dex is useful for knives, unarmed, pistols and SMGs, will - for psykers.

ciox

Liturgist
He doesn't, yes. Dex is useful for knives, unarmed, pistols and SMGs, will - for psykers.

ОК, but I anyway start with a pistol and need somehow to deal with these ratfuckers.

Throw flares to scare them, shoot through closed gates, kite them, the usual. They're no big deal compared to... the dreaded... the unspeakable... GREATER HOPPERS OF NO ENTRAPMENT!!!

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
That's a fairly even spread of stats, it will get you through the game but won't shine impressively.

If you just pump guns, take an assault rifle, crafting skills, and heavy armor you'll be fine. You won't have a super specialized build but oh well.

Then again you're so early in the game you can easily restart. If you want light guns, take dex, if you want heavy firearms, take some str; either way dump will. Int is useful for crafting, and perception is always good for ranged. Con is also good but not really important outside of specific feats.

If you want PSI, dump str and perception, if you want melee, dump will and perception.

For the beginning area, hide behind fences and shoot the rathounds. Run back to South Rail Station med bay to heal for free if you have to. The starting gun should get you through the area. You can beat them with a knife if you run out of ammo, they are very weak. For the boss, just blow him up with a grenade, I've always found one in the opening area.

hell bovine

Arcane
Fair enough.
For some reason game won't allow me to make a screenshot, so I'm writing my starting build down:

Strength 5
Dexterity 6
Agility 5
Constitution 5
Perception 7
Will 6
Intelligence 6
Just start over, your character is the equivalent of a D&D fighter with 12 in everything. Underrail isn't that different from other cRPGS, the general rule is: max the stat that corresponds to your main offense. If you want guns, that's perception. Then check if the weapons you want to use have any stat requirements, e.g. for sniper rifles it's strength: https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sniper_Rifles
Anything you don't use, you drop to 3. So what you do - after you have maxed perception that is, and have raised strength enough to use the sniper rifles you want - is decide based on the feats you want to use, since most feats have stat requirements.
You can either check the wiki, which has them nicely sorted into categories, e.g. for guns: https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Guns_feats
Or during character creation, you can check the option "show all feats". And then use the filter option to search for whatever interests you.

edit: As for general gameplay, pay attention to enemy behaviour. You get a warning straight out of the door that rats are afraid of fire. So you can scare them with flares or molotov cocktails and then use the time when they are 'feared' to move your character to a chokepoint. Or behind a fence, it's not like rats can open doors. You can also get enemies or neutrals to move to a spot, by making noise:
https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Noise
Noise is also important if you want to go for silent kills, e.g. sniper rifles are loud enough to alarm nearby enemies, while crossbows are noiseless.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It loads in 5-17 seconds on my win10 boxes. Probably something to do with software configuration on the laptop, though. Poorly optimized .NET runtimes or old and bloated Windows/.NET install could conceivably bring the startup time up to half a minute, but multiple minutes seems over the top to me. As if something external is slowing down .NET process startup, like I said before.
You know how java and javascript games ship their own java runtimes and javascript engines these days? It's to control the user environment, to prevent issues like this. Not an option for .NET games, as far as I know. They'll have to do with whatever fucked-up .NET installation the end-users happen to have on their machines. And I guess XNA makes things even less predictable. Whatever happened to good old compiled software...

Your wife's scenario sounds like an old version of the game. It used to have that black rectangle screen (it was placeholder for logo, apparently) instead of loading bar and some people had issues like what you described. Updating the game should fix that.
Off the top of your head what should I uninstall/reinstall? .NET and XNA? Any particular instructions on how to make a clean uninstall of .NET, something I might be missing by just uninstalling it from the "Apps & Features"?

Trashos

Arcane
okaaay, probably I just fucked up with this.

I believe in you!

Underrail takes some effort and some trial & error (as you have already been advised). However, it is totally worth it, if you don't mind that kind of challenge (and maybe even be willing to accept some help -people will help!).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, it took me another evening to discover the entrance to the cave from West Storage. These new environments sure are detailed. Or maybe I was very sleepy. I only play late at night so no one can interrupt me.

The expansion is a new high so far, can't wait to discover more of the Black Sea areas and lore.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It can take significantly longer than 5 minutes on a fragmented non-SSD, something like 1-2 minutes on a brand new SSD.

For me it takes barely a minute on HDD on notebook that's likeat least 5 years old. WTF with your hardware?

I feel like my crossbow+stealth character is just incapable of handling Expedition. I'm moving through savage territory now and getting absolutely raped. It seems like this whole part was designed not to be played by stealth characters at all. In any given area I can snipe one guy and then I have to rely on pure luck to wipe out 3 or more with a plasma grenade, otherwise I get destroyed. Starting a new character would be a huge setback since I'm well more than halfway through the game at this point.

Post your build and I could try to tell you what's wrong with it.

Burrower needles can be easily stopped by low frequency energy shield

Nope, it's medium freq shield that stops them.

Core of your build - feats, they define who you are and what you can do.
Feats define stats (ability points), not the other way around, and of course there is your offensive skill.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Level 16, and I haven't even seen a Mk3 shock bolt yet.
Level 16 is way too low for almost any build to be raiding the Savage camps. Come back around 21-22.
So I've listened to all of you faggots and decided to give Underrail a try.

I started, talked to everyone in the base, headed north and immediately get eaten by the rathounds.

Guys, should I continue?
Grenade spam is your friend and primary weapon till level 10, or until you pick up a submachine gun

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Does anybody know what is the maximum critical bonus infused rathound leather armor can give you?
Fucking minmaxing drives me insane

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Found the music puzzle in the Nexus of Technology-- wow, you're joking right? For a puzzle like this the reward better be killer...

*looks up spoilers* Oh gee, a gun. Whoop dee doo. At least I can skip it. Why not make it an awesome feat or stat bonus or something? So lame.
I believe there are also some oddities in the chamber that it unlocks. Plus the gun and the other items in there are worth a ton of money.

But yes the cipher is absurdly hard to solve considering the reward.

ciox

Liturgist
Does anybody know what is the maximum critical bonus infused rathound leather armor can give you?
Fucking minmaxing drives me insane

You'll want Skinner to get any real mileage out of infused leathers now.
If I had to guess, you can get about 10% with just a good leather drop from a Rathound Alpha and a decent super steel fiber. Skinner should turn that into 12%.
Going to do that for Chimeric Cleric Jr. soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom