Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
U5656ntitled.png

called the recovery team while on it

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just finished the main quest of Expeditions. Overall a very solid addon. The Black Sea is a good deal more atmospheric than most of the base game areas. The whole backstory of Lemuria is well done. Combat was more challenging too, at least for my psi build. I just wish someone would have told me earlier that going full murderhobo on the natives would stop the attacks.

Now all that is left is waiting eagerly for the next addon, work faster :argh:!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think I've only won one fight - the security bot inside the room with the terminal in the second area. Other than that I've had to either sneak past everything or fight through cheesy tactics like throwing a molotov at some mutant dogs from nearby a door, closing the door, rinse & repeat - and even that stopped working once I ran out of molotovs.

How? How it is possible?
Dude, try burst, I dunno. Try to get Full Auto as soon as possible.
If I would crafted aci resistant gear from bloodsucking bloody grogs, I wouldn't die even once (possibly).
It's was just my legs melted a bit during a fight.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
I think I've only won one fight - the security bot inside the room with the terminal in the second area. Other than that I've had to either sneak past everything or fight through cheesy tactics like throwing a molotov at some mutant dogs from nearby a door, closing the door, rinse & repeat - and even that stopped working once I ran out of molotovs.

How? How it is possible?
Dude, try burst, I dunno. Try to get Full Auto as soon as possible.
If I would crafted aci resistant gear from bloodsucking bloody grogs, I wouldn't die even once (possibly).
It's was just my legs melted a bit during a fight.
You're asking how it's possible to die against literally hordes of some of the most annoying enemies in the game as a non-traps stealth character?

In any event I got further along and at this point the only fight that's still beyond me is in North Depot A where there are a fuckton of dogs and mutants. I've also run out of money because no one in New Junkyard wants to buy any of the stuff I hauled out of Old Junkyard.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, it's there where I died too. Also once at zone with lotsa acidic dogs.
You have shotgun. Also you have taser - isn't it? Also nets. Also doorframes.
Use them - you could delay their advancement for long time.
Add just one flashbang and this time doubles.

Also, while shotgun isn't silent weapon you still can be stealthy and elusive - if you dispatch some small groups in 1-2 turns, you then can enter stealth and like run.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Were the Deep Caverns changed in any way since release? I'm fast approaching the end of my playthrough and I've forgotten a lot about them (except that it was quite the slog).

ciox

Liturgist
Also, while shotgun isn't silent weapon you still can be stealthy and elusive - if you dispatch some small groups in 1-2 turns, you then can enter stealth and like run.

That used to be kind of tricky but it's much easier now if you have psi, since LTE will reduce stealth mode's cooldown by 1 turn, and you can enter stealth 1 turn faster if stealth was still on cooldown.

Were the Deep Caverns changed in any way since release? I'm fast approaching the end of my playthrough and I've forgotten a lot about them (except that it was quite the slog).
I think the Eye of _______ debuff gains stacks faster if you play on Hard or Dominating.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's not what I wanted to hear :negative:.
Use the wiki to identify where all the items you need are, and it's really not that bad.
So, I'm going to build Dredd, similarly to the Carl Urban version.

What should I focus on for weapons?
I mean, I haven't seen much of the movie but you can try a Heavy Armor pistol build that also uses the various different chem pistols. Perhaps pump some points into agility too. IDK though, just spitballing.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Tchort gave my psi character trouble, I even had to solve the mutagen puzzle. My assault rifle character from my first playthrough murdered him without a hitch. The psi build was more enjoyable to play though, bursting everything down gets boring after a while. I'll have to try a melee character when I play again, probably when the next addon comes out.

Will Zurmacht

Educated
Nothing quite like tromping around the wasteland in ultraheavy armor pulverizing muties and degenerates into the ground with a super sledge. Used to do the same thing in Fallout.

Also 90,000 rivets in every air duct now is the kind of autism I can get behind.

Alphons

Cipher
In my first playthrough of Underrail I've used AR build I borrowed from forums and I didn't enjoy it (in Institute I just surrendered and looked up a guide to just finish the game).

But some time ago I've decided to replay, this time with my own build- stealthy pacifist (at least towards humanoids) with a crossbow.
And the game was really fun this time.

I was honestly surprised how many quests you can complete without killing any humanoids (I've had to skip rest of the Arena, Gauntlet and majority of Protectorate). And it's not only just sneaking around hostiles. Both persuasion and intimidation were really useful in my playthrough.

Big bummer for me is MQ. Most of the game is rather open, but to track Cornell you NEED to fight in the Arena. Couldn't my character do anything else to impress his Oligarch? (Though it seems that Styg understands the lack of choice seeing all the possibilities you have to impress Briggs, including the Persuasion option, so maybe they'll add more options in one of these smaller patches)

Some highlights of my playthrough:
-I've spent over an hour, 2 flashbangs and 2 tranquilizer bolts on the Scrapper- Black Eels firefight to avoid any casualties on my side
-45 minutes, molotov, flashbang and two incendiary bolts on the siphoner Arena fight, as the PSI challenger would run into the pack and die
-over 2 hours (around 12 reloads) on the first fight with the Natives in Black Sea. (I think it was my 10th try where I've discovered that you can't use antidotes on NPCs- Yahota and another trooper died form heartbreak poison after the fight)
-over the course of the whole Expedition I've used around 40 basic frag grenades- early on I've discovered that you can lock enemies behind those electronic doors skipping most hordes (you can lock them in combat too).

I plan my next char to be unarmed, with the ultimate goal of killing as many people as possible. Any tips?

ciox

Liturgist
In my first playthrough of Underrail I've used AR build I borrowed from forums and I didn't enjoy it (in Institute I just surrendered and looked up a guide to just finish the game).

But some time ago I've decided to replay, this time with my own build- stealthy pacifist (at least towards humanoids) with a crossbow.

I was honestly surprised how many quests you can complete without killing any humanoids (I've had to skip rest of the Arena, Gauntlet and majority of Protectorate). And it's not only just sneaking around hostiles. Both persuasion and intimidation were really useful in my playthrough.

Big bummer for me is MQ. Most of the game is rather open, but to track Cornell you NEED to fight in the Arena. Couldn't my character do anything else to impress his Oligarch? (Though it seems that Styg understands the lack of choice seeing all the possibilities you have to impress Briggs, including the Persuasion option, so maybe they'll add more options in one of these smaller patches)

-I've spent over an hour, 2 flashbangs and 2 tranquilizer bolts on the Scrapper- Black Eels firefight to avoid any casualties on my side
-45 minutes, molotov, flashbang and two incendiary bolts on the siphoner Arena fight, as the PSI challenger would run into the pack and die
-over 2 hours (around 12 reloads) on the first fight with the Natives in Black Sea. (I think it was my 10th try where I've discovered that you can't use antidotes on NPCs- Yahota and another trooper died form heartbreak poison after the fight)
-over the course of the whole Expedition I've used around 40 basic frag grenades- early on I've discovered that you can lock enemies behind those electronic doors skipping most hordes (you can lock them in combat too).

I plan my next char to be unarmed, with the ultimate goal of killing as many people as possible. Any tips?

The thing with arena is you do have options there to subvert it, if you can incapacitate your target with Cheap Shots, Cryostasis or good ol' Flashbangs, then you can enter stealth and treat it as an assassination mission.

With unarmed I had a lot of fun with this build http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgg...sKpecKtwrPioZAC4qeCAeKnvgHitrUC4ra2A-K2vgbfvw
Add all the spec points right and you can wear a Sturdy Tungsten Shield Riot Gear, with the heaviest and most damaging shield for Shield Bash, and still have Lightning Punches active and 4 AP punches early on, while able to block up to 150 damage and with your full buffed Shield Bash dealing around 150-300 damage for no action point cost, up to 600 if it crits.
Can swap Recklessness for Sprint if you want more reliability especially againsted ranged enemies, but I prefer more crits.

Alphons

Cipher

The thing with arena is you do have options there to subvert it, if you can incapacitate your target with Cheap Shots, Cryostasis or good ol' Flashbangs, then you can enter stealth and treat it as an assassination mission.

With unarmed I had a lot of fun with this build http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgg...sKpecKtwrPioZAC4qeCAeKnvgHitrUC4ra2A-K2vgbfvw
Add all the spec points right and you can wear a Sturdy Tungsten Shield Riot Gear, with the heaviest and most damaging shield for Shield Bash, and still have Lightning Punches active and 4 AP punches early on, while able to block up to 150 damage and with your full buffed Shield Bash dealing around 150-300 damage for no action point cost, up to 600 if it crits.
Can swap Recklessness for Sprint if you want more reliability especially againsted ranged enemies, but I prefer more crits.

Thanks, also wanted to focus on criticals with the unarmed. Gonna feed your stuff into build and fiddle around.

As to Arena- it offers a lot of options. Each of my fights with humans was way different from another (kneecapped Pulverizer and bled him to death with Broadheads, burned the crossbow guy with Incendiaries and killed the last with Burrower poison after he stepped into bear trap), but you always have to go through part of the Arena and become the gladiator. When compared to 2 other instants where you can use Gladiator rank to progress:
-you can get into Taloski manor by also getting one of these small critters from Foundry or just break in
-you can get recruited by Briggs if you pass a Persuasion check, join the Protectorate (propably the same for Free Drones), join a CC corporation or kill the Beast

But it's also a compliment for MQ- through the whole game you've got so many options to progress that I was able to progress with my gimmicky character and had only 1 instance where I had to break my rules.

Will Zurmacht

Educated
Coretech troopers and Praetorians look great after the latest update. I ran into one of those early game side dungeons on the way to save Newton (lvl 3). Got baited in by a few of the new baby psi beetles, only to have a mf goliathus run around the corner on me. NOPENOPENOPENOEP.

Also what the heck, dozens of times crisscrossing the cave between psi beetle warehouse and Junkyard on previous playthroughs and just recently a 3 Per char spotted a peeky hole that must have just been added. Styg is full of many wonders.

Had a lot of fun with a psi monk shell on DOMINATING, which is good not only for falcon punching things 20x times per turn but had enough Will and magic skills to pass the various psi related checks in the game for lore purposes.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAM...wBaOG4ANwAAACs5JCYUFiASE0_Ch04-4p-EAeKopgTfvw

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Still suffering through stealth/shotty build on DOMINATING. I'm not convinced I can even finish the game like this. Burrowers are practically resistant to my attacks, and there are too many of them to sneak past. I would buy a shield so I could at least resist their ranged attacks but I'm broke. Is Rail Crossing just a bad place to start on this difficulty?

Will Zurmacht

Educated
Still suffering through stealth/shotty build on DOMINATING. I'm not convinced I can even finish the game like this. Burrowers are practically resistant to my attacks, and there are too many of them to sneak past. I would buy a shield so I could at least resist their ranged attacks but I'm broke. Is Rail Crossing just a bad place to start on this difficulty?
Need you some of those depleted uranium tungsten rounds to punch through their resists, particularly the Warriors. Stealth is good to prepare the battlefield with traps beforehand. Pickpocket is the answer to all early and midgame money troubles; I like to do a grand pickpocket tour shortly after Depot A to get enough money for crafting a good shield and a strong supply of T3-4 nades. Crafted shields are light years cheaper and stronger than ones sold in shops.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Need you some of those depleted uranium tungsten rounds to punch through their resists, particularly the Warriors. Stealth is good to prepare the battlefield with traps beforehand. Pickpocket is the answer to all early and midgame money troubles; I like to do a grand pickpocket tour shortly after Depot A to get enough money for crafting a good shield and a strong supply of T3-4 nades. Crafted shields are light years cheaper and stronger than ones sold in shops.
Have 0 in both traps and pickpocketing unfortunately. Suppose I can still plant bear traps and frag mines though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom