Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Alphons

Cipher
Can someone guide me to a place I can read about timer aspect of expedition or how I can cheese the game to not worry about the timer? I am kind of paranoid about that.

Getting rid of timer:
-join the pirates- natives make a giant bonfire party with Oldfield and Aegis
-kill the natives (kill some named ones, wipe out couple maps with generic ones)- natives are dead/ afraid of you and don't attack anymore. Attacks don't happen unless you provoke pirates (wipe them out to stop them).
-explore on your own and leave expedition to die

Cheesing timer:
-rush through all ruins Oldfield wants you to look through (Mutant refuge, Locust Palace, Med Center, Nexus of Technology, Joint Security) and finish the DLC before natives wipe expedition out
-you can buy extra time by getting additional defences (Lemurian turrets, repaired Protector and naval mines from LemCo). If you have enough defences native attacks you don't partake in waste expedition supplies instead of personnel (I was able to complete the DLC with only scripted deaths).

Sheepherder

Augur
Styg fixed the gamebreaking bug I reported here. :lol:

o5rCTAr.jpg

Jezal_k23

Some screens of shotguns performing on dom. Early game was painful, but after dep a it was mostly smooth sailing.

A mob of Expedition bots.
Before burst.
nCSShoi.jpg

After burst.
JmlnNIc.jpg
A dreadnought.
Before burst.
WTduk3N.jpg

After burst.
FOEYIDL.jpg
Not pictured here, bursting down two nagas under the pirate lighthouse and finishing off a third one with a pump shotty. In conclusion, shotguns are at least as powerful as ARs and much more fun.

I hadn't checked out this thread in a while, but I randomly came across your post. Share your build?

Sheepherder

Augur
I hadn't checked out this thread in a while, but I randomly came across your post. Share your build?
Sure. I've already deleted that build, but if memory serves me right this is should be about it:
Start with this: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQcFAwkKAwMPDwAAAAAPAAMAAA8PAA8AAAAADwAADGIx378
Finish with this: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgc...7wofCmMKWS8KPwojChVDCpMK1H-KfowXip74F4rewBd-_

Some notes:
  • Leading shot was very useful in midgame, as there aren't that many evasive enemies in early game (mostly junkyard dogs) but its effect diminished as I raised guns and per. Not necessary if you don't plan to play on dominating or if you plan to put off those encounters for later. In that case drop dex to 3 and put points into int for earlier crafting.
  • 50 effective biology to be able to craft focus stims without food, benches or drug. Get more if you plan to craft bullhead/twitch/aegis/etc. for the faceless commander fight. You can also get those drugs in some of the expedition areas that have medical fabricators or whatever they are called.
  • Critical power only if you use frames with crit dmg over 100.
  • Level 22 and 24 feats are whatever. Kneecap shot might be okay. Level 30 last stand for faceless commander fight.
  • Spec into sixth shell, then full auto, then Crit power.
  • TM to 55 by lvl 10, then 70 for stasis. 25 psychokinesis for the wall.
  • 100 effective throwing. I like my flash-bangs accurate. The less rng the better. Get less if you wanna.
  • Rest of skillpoints into whatever. I raised persuade for the pirate captain to let me attack the protectorate ship alone.
Rest of this shit applies mostly to dominating, so if you don't want to play on autismal don't bother:
  • A few points into lockpicking to be able to open the 10 lockpicking door to the assault rifle lurker in the underpassages before rescuing Newton. MK2 frags one shot all the lurkers in that area. Used 3 total. Pray he drops a 7mm and not a 8mm, or else you'll go broke buying 8mm ammo that early. Or you might get lucky and find a shotgun in a container somewhere.
  • Rest of crafting skill are for 164 quality components, which can be bought in Oculus with 95 mercantile (lol fat chance of getting anything that good) and a 160q supersteel (again lol) with +40q rat leather. So in reality you can knock down 10-30 points. I'm an optimist though.
  • To increase your chances of getting good quality components, make a female char, get mercantile to 95 effective with food asap then rush oculus right after depot a. Female chars don't need persuasion skill in foundry prison. After that, revisit oculus every merchant reset and check for components. Also thank Dude for inventing juice. Which this char won't get for a while.
  • Don't need to max stealth, aimed for +150 effective before coil spiders and maxed before DC to make tchortling areas easier.
  • Did arena past exploder way late. My current knifer did everything at 16 while this had to wait past 20 for carni and even then I needed to win initiative. Carni has 29 initiative while this build has fuck-all even with soda.
  • Killed acid hunters without initiating dialogue.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey, I haven't done it yet but I'm wondering on things: How are the pirates as allies? Are they any good? Do they have decent stores and weapon loadouts?
Very solid stores, with their medicinal trader being one of the best merchants in the game. Plus, their jet-ski raid missions are a ton of fun.

Blackmill

Scholar
Hey, I haven't done it yet but I'm wondering on things: How are the pirates as allies? Are they any good? Do they have decent stores and weapon loadouts?

If you're just interested in selling items, Aegis has better merchants, at least for the duration of the Expedition. Another advantage of Aegis merchants is that Marcus is probably the second best supplier of plasma micro-dischargers (and one of just three, I believe, that always sells them). Pretty important if you want to stockpile plasma grenades but didn't side with CoreTech.

As mentioned, the pirates medical merchant is one of the best in the game for certain builds. She might have been nerfed based on my last time siding with the pirates but I'm unsure. She's most useful to throwing and crossbow builds. Some specific details, since she's not great for every build,

All assuming high mercantile (like 95 or 100, can't remember which):

* She's a consistent source of leper poison, crawler poison, and (like two-thirds of the time) corrosive acid. Pretty good for throwing or crossbow builds. That said, huge amounts of leper poison can be found elsewhere with a bit more work involved, and MK III shock bolts are almost always better than corrosive acid bolts, with I believe just one exception.

* She always sells all the components for twitch, third eye, hypercerebrix, and psionic accelerator. Okay. I find 2-4 hypercerebrix is enough for a playthrough, which is easily harvested or looted, and the other drugs sometimes have uses but often don't make much difference.

* She's another consistent source of gizzard enzymes other than Kirk at the meat shop in Foundry. Very good for stockpiling aegis and irongut, though for bullhead, nidamental gel is likely still the limiting ingredient.

* She often sells fuzing enzymes, used in super health hypos, though Kareem at the Junkyard regularly sells multiple angler fishes. Freddy at Camp Hathor does too sometimes. Crawler poison, which the pirates merchant also sells, might be the harder to find component if you have trouble with death stalkers.

* She does sell super soldier drug components (most commonly muscarine), but she only sells kynurenic acid very rarely, which may significantly bottleneck how many more she actually helps you make. Her selling kynurenic acid may he been removed altogether as I haven't seen it in her shop recently.

* She sometimes sells spirit poison, though also very rarely, plus spirit poison is very situational. Also may have been removed from her shop.

The other pirate merchant is one of the worst in my opinion. Just no useful components for any build (other than maybe some cloth) in all the times I checked his merchandise. I'd recommend a playthrough with Aegis for the Ladelman and Marcus conversations if you haven't already. Unless you're playing melee since defending the camp will be very unfun. Though some of the pirate raids can be very hard for melee if you also have low con and wear light armor.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
You would think riot armor would be extremely effective against crossbow guys with the shield. Should also give bullet protection. The fact you can't use 2 handed weapons is the biggest handicap a armor can give you in the game. Only thing its worth for is hard countering knife guys who are rare and always been a joke unless they have electric knife.

hell bovine

Arcane
So, it turns out that psi can use the -1000 inititative anti-cheese mechanics to create even more cheese. For this you need to be near the map exit, best near a choke point that can be blocked with force field.
Step 1: enrage an enemy, preferably the biggest tin can (or everyone once you get locus).
Step 2: place the force field barrier.
Step 3: exit & re-enter the map.
What happens is that the enemies will go first (-1000 to your initiative) and start killing each other due to enrage. Once you get your turn, you just leave & re-enter again. Because time never flows on a map when you're not there, the force field & enrage will last as long as you keep leaving on your turn. And then you just need to dispose of the last one standing.

Cave wizards: breaking reality since 2015. :lol:

ciox

Liturgist
You would think riot armor would be extremely effective against crossbow guys with the shield. Should also give bullet protection. The fact you can't use 2 handed weapons is the biggest handicap a armor can give you in the game. Only thing its worth for is hard countering knife guys who are rare and always been a joke unless they have electric knife.

Riot armor is basically meant to be used offensively with Shield Bash.
I have seen the light.

Once fully geared up, it costs zero AP to use the bash, you can throw it out once every turn, you can use Boarding Up to double damage, use Combo to double the damage again, and you can still crit, and unlike the fist attacks you would use to quickly build stacks of Boarding Up and Combo, the Shield Bash doesn't have any mechanical resistance penalty, so when it hits it almost always does great damage.

It took me long enough to figure out why Shield Bash sometimes performs better than normal and yes, it's because it works with Combo, doing 5 fist attacks as preparation for a Shield Bash means you are both fully boarded up and ready to execute your 2nd combo on the next hit... why... it's like poetry...

Sheepherder

Augur
Some screens of a knife build on dominating. It turned out much better than I expected. Very slow burning and some hiccups along the way but a lot of fun and the end result is fucking sweet.
Also the buff to cut-throat made the feat usable. High initiative + flashbang + cut-throat = ezpz arena. Good against human bosses. Too bad cut-throat AP cost doesn't scale with dex, it always stays 25 AP, so it falls off later on. Helped a lot against Magnar.
With psi haste I get 10 attacks @lvl 12, 11 @lvl 24, 14 @lvl 26 and 16 @lvl 28 with Fight Response. So under ideal conditions, with regular adrenaline it goes up to 20 attacks a turn for 3 turns with 60ish crit% and nearly 600% crit damage.

These cunts respawn, so when I came back for the glider I had to fight the whole horde of spiders. Brutality procced on nearly all of them after a single turn.
Y0Pelsw.jpg
Fort Apogee aftermath. Didn't need to use store choke-points this time either. Human enemies that get fear from Brutality clog up the way for the rest of enemies coming in.
dYZGEXb.jpg
Magnar aftermath. He has uncanny dodge and is immune to stun (or is extremelly resistant, don't remember now), but incapacitation still procs on him.
GapxCK5.jpg
4naga. RIP in pieces turrets :salute:
dVpHpfJ.jpg
Movement points with fancy footwork. 240 if not using jumping bean.
qTlaK8J.jpg

Sheepherder

Augur
I stealthed past the serpents in the marsh. The ones in the area with the boss shaman of the natives didn't spawn for some reason, maybe because I killed him so quickly and he has to summon them?
There's also a hole in the ground in the cave where Magnar lives, there are 3 serpents down there. I entered the hole while in stealth, wait in the corner until one of them was right at the lower edge of the pool of water, attack and kill it, retreat to the corner, put up a wall, use a smoke bomb, exit the hole and repeat the process.
There's also a native turret on a rock that's unreachable. He is the sole survival of the proud Sørmirbæren people. Forever stuck on that rock manning that turret.

hell bovine

Arcane
So... there was even more cheese waiting to be discovered. Inspired at the Lurker base, my insipid mage decided to try & add stealth to the recipe. Now the steps were as follows:
- enrage one enemy & force field the way
- exit the map & restealth
- re-entered the map while stealthed.
At this point combat ended and because of that the force field & enrage wore off. But here is the cheese: the lurkers did not stop fighting. Quite the opposite. Once the gunshots sounds stopped, my brave mage ventured forth only to discover an entire room full of dead people... There was only one guy left standing (I assume the last survivor) and the two dogs from the ring (who still fought, but kept missing due to high dodge).

Tried this with the bladelings in the foundry mines. Also worked, though there were two left standing, I guess because they ended up in separate corners of the map and therefore didn't aggro on each other. It seems like this cheese messes up enemy allegiances, resulting in death matches. :|

Cave wizards: ascending into a higher level of existence since 2015.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I have tried the game, wasted all money because i hadn't realized the item costed 1/10 of what i payed for them, went to first map and got trapped at every exit by dogs, without possibility to win. Uninstalled

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
I have tried the game, wasted all money because i hadn't realized the item costed 1/10 of what i payef them, went to first map and got trapped at every exit of the map by dogs, without possibility to win the fight. Uninstalled
Sup MCA?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom