Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail'n'incline

roshan

Arcane

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
lots of nearly empty areas, that don't contain anything interesting

What drugs are you on?
Sadly, none. Perhaps that would be a solution to make all those lovely passages that contain a few rats or pigs (or mushrooms) more interesting.

Perhaps Underrail needs to have a Shitternity style horde of 20 trash mobs behind every bush (or corner, in this case) ?

no, underrail's omnipresent trash mobs are already plenty bad as they are

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's true that there are lots of them but I find the balance between those and areas that have something in them pretty good. Not every area needs to be a hotspot.

Then again, when you clear the interesting areas then everything is an empty area which makes backtracking pretty annoying.

no, underrail's omnipresent trash mobs are already plenty bad as they are

Really? Omnipresent trash mobs? Where?

Or is this that bullshit that if a combat is not directly related to the main quest then it's trash?

hell bovine

Arcane
lots of nearly empty areas, that don't contain anything interesting

What drugs are you on?
Sadly, none. Perhaps that would be a solution to make all those lovely passages that contain a few rats or pigs (or mushrooms) more interesting.

Perhaps Underrail needs to have a Shitternity style horde of 20 trash mobs behind every bush (or corner, in this case) ?
Not like it would make any difference. Killing rathounds and pigs is about as interesting as killing trashmobs.

Really? Omnipresent trash mobs? Where?

Or is this that bullshit that if a combat is not directly related to the main quest then it's trash?
I like Underrail despite the flaws, but still - trashmobs (on drugs) is how I would describe the majority of deep caverns, and that is the main quest.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I like Underrail despite the flaws, but still - trashmobs is how I would describe the majority of deep caverns, and that is the main quest.

I didn't get there yet and I doubt Darth Roxor did either. Otherwise during the rest of the game respawning rathounds and pigs are definitely trash, but omnipresent?

hell bovine

Arcane
I like Underrail despite the flaws, but still - trashmobs is how I would describe the majority of deep caverns, and that is the main quest.

I didn't get there yet and I doubt Darth Roxor did either. Otherwise during the rest of the game respawning rathounds and pigs are definitely trash, but omnipresent?
You'll get it when you get there. ;)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A question for Underrail superfans: what was about it about Age of Decadence's combat that disappointed you (at least in comparison if you didn't hate it)?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So why does this game make me (and many codexers, so it seems) so happy?

because everyone loves a singleplayer mmo

Yep.

2eow8s3.jpg

Cazzeris

A question for Underrail superfans: what was about it about Age of Decadence's combat that disappointed you (at least in comparison if you didn't hate it)?

I like both, but the main problem with AoD's is the lack of integration within a proper interaction system. In UnderRail you can always choose the place where you want to start combat, how to start combat (killing a single enemy with a special attack/item, using stealth's advantages, setting traps...) while such options are not possible in AoD in a free-form manner. There are many more status effects, critters, magical stuff (psi users) and expanded itemization (grenades, flashbangs, traps, energy shields, drugs, special bolts...) that come into play and make the gameplay more complex and varied, too.

Also, the division between movement points and action points make positioning more interesting in my opinion.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sadly Fallout 2 is still better than AoD and Underrail combined... it had fast travel done when it mattered (outside quest Locations), great dialogues with skill check, good itemization, interesting combat, sneaky and diplomat paths... and Car + you companions acting as mobile containers for your loot which was better than both useless Underail stronghold and shenanigans you needed to pull to earn yourself a chest... only arena it lacked was crafting but to be honest I am not great fun of this mechanic taken from MMO; I am RP a Man/womyn on mission with implied time limit not someone who has time to to practice as artisan apprentice... and Yes Underrail had couple of maps which were adding nothing to the game except filling... Like Train Stop near Rail Crossing and most of Core City and cave systems... So in Commissar Opinion 1)Original Fallouts 2)Age of Decadence 3) Underrail... Its still great game and I might be a bit unfair comparing work of professional AA studio with what dozen of talented and passionate amateurs did in their free time.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only combat was subpar in FO2 compared to Underrail. In every other aspect there's no comparison. And there shouldn't be, it's unfair for Underrail.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Can you be any more vague?

Cooldowns.
Not only that. The whole system, things like skills being capped by your level x 5 for reasons, feat design that is pure nonsensical gamey stuff (some are ok), magical non-magical armor, enemies getting immunity to control effects after being affected, gating abilities that should be intuitive to any character behind feats, etc.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Only combat was subpar in FO2 compared to Underrail. In every other aspect there's no comparison. And there shouldn't be, it's unfair for Underrail.
I find Fallout 2's combat more enjoyable in general. Underrail's more balanced but too sterile and wimpy in visual and audio.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can you be any more vague?

Cooldowns.
Not only that. The whole system, feat design specially.

Its good that burst was not stroken with the plague of cool downs... otherwise my pistoliero turned Sub Machine Gunner would not be able to finish the game... Underrail suffered from curse of being RP and tactical simulation mismatch... Hence all those no map slow walking realistic merchants who don't want your loot... combined with them not baiting an aye when you just dropped the mountains of junk at their feet, pistols being able to make aimed shot only every 3 turns cause it was supposed to be an ERPEGE too... Cool downs worked fine in Blob-er game when you controlled a team and fighting was highly abstract affair... like Ultima, MMX or Planet Stronghold. :lol:

I liked Fallout 1's main quest to be amazing. that itself puts it above underrail. but Fallout 2? its just a hodgepodge of themepark scenarios stitched together trying to be edgy. FO2 is still better than 99% of the shit marketed as RPGs, but imo underrail beats it by far.

Underrail also far far far better than the moba Project Eternity and the crappy Wasteland 2.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Underrail also far far far better than the moba Project Eternity and the crappy Wasteland 2.

That's not really an achievement.
"Tastes better than dung!" Here, have a medal!

For me it's:
- System (combat, stealth, charbuild freedom and variety, you name it. Also the first game where I don't completely hate crafting, I even like it!)
- Combat
- Atmosphere (but I do seem to be the only one here who feels 'imurshun' in this game)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You fail to mention Underrail's "main quest". Did you find one? It was kinda hard for me. Because Fallout 2 had one, regardless of all the themepark scenarios or whatever.
And memorable NPCs, a rich world etc etc

Generally unless you're a combat & crafting fag, Underrail is not better than any of these games in my opinion.
I get easily bored of complex/intense crafting in RPGs(because it takes more time a game that is already very time consuming and I don't have so much of it) and Underrail is full of that. It's tedious for me.
I like the combat, but to be honest, just thinking of all the crafting makes me bored to even launch the game most of the times.

Here, everyone can go crazy now, I'm :decline: personified.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I like some of the attention to simulation that bleeds into the game sometimes, like people willing to barter have finite money and a limited amount and type of things they accept, they won't buy any crap you offer. I thought that was p. cool.

tbh, i am a fan of the system and combat. the atmosphere is ok... i like reading the fluff though.

I had a crafter themed build with guns and throwing. was doing a nice job steamrolling everythign with my 1k+ shields and electroshock/plasma pistols/grenades thinking I am invincible and shit, when a scrub throws a EMP grenade at me. All that energy in my night vision goggles, plasma electroschock pistols/taser and shield. well all taht electric backlash made an instant KO :D

another playthrough heavyarmro sledgehammer bruiser... gets buttraped by bola nets and poison crossbows :D

Jimmious yeah crafting is a major part of the fun of underrail for me.
not like FO2 get muh powah arma hurr durr.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
like people willing to barter have finite money and a limited amount and type of things they accept, they won't buy any crap you offer. I thought that was p. cool.

Sounds p. tedious.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
As for the crafting, I'll take AoD's straightforward and deterministic system all day, any day. Underrail triggers my OCD too fucking hard. When you FINALLY get that high quality gun frame you dreamt about for the last 5 hours, you then need to find a merchant willing to sell a high quality smart module or a bipod or whatever. AND NOBODY IN THE ENTIRE GAME IS GUARANTEED TO HAVE A PARTICULAR COMPONENT. EVERYTHING is lolrandom. Every. Fucking. Merchant.

So you end up turtle stepping through 88964646514681656851845684164 screens to find that ONE GUY willing to sell the bling bling component part you need to finish your "reinforced infused super awesome armor/weapon of mass pwnage from hell with laz00rs". And then, 2 minutes later you open a random box and find the very component you were looking for. Its quality is also 7 points higher, but now you already used the frame + other components and you're like

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEEEE :x:x:x:x:x:x:x

YEAH, give me 100% predictable crafting pls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom