Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail'n'incline

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I learned stores completely refresh the goods when I ran back to Harold to buy the Black Cloth rolls he had :negative:

How do you make time pass anyway?

Mortmal

Arcane
So I'm playing Underrail. Got it on the day of release, but have not finished yet (pesky work, family etc getting in the way :), plus a broken perk caused an unfortunate restart, plus I like to take games I enjoy slow).

This game makes me genuinely happy. I don't know what it is, but I haven't had such a genuinely great time with a new release for a very long time.

My question to the codex is why? What makes the incline feel so steep? Why did wl2 and poe feel meh (not a criticism or an attempt to troll, just a personal feeling, your mileage may very well vary). What puts this one so far ahead?

I mean the writing isn't particularly earthshattering. Some of the mechanics are antiquated to a fault (though stealth and traps are imho genius this time around). The visual style is solid but not all that unique.

So why does this game make me (and many codexers, so it seems) so happy?

Its simple , despite the flaws , its something done by a real gamer who played the same titles than us and liked them .Styg took some of the best features from the very best games ,mostly from fallouts . Its 16 bit era graphics, i could had same on my amiga , but that artsyle is coherent and gorgeous in it' s own way like games used to be. Its already winning our grognard's heart(that frozen, small stone in our chest) just by the look of it . Theres a lot of attention into details , that never lie , every great games have that last time i said that it was for Divinity original sin . Obviously theres a considerable amount of work poured into it(except last area) .

Poe was gorgeous graphically , superb music too, but thats all there is really , story is boring without any surprises. Combat is dull, overbalanced and so repetitive they had to include bots to lessen the tedious. No gear nor character real progression. World is not really coherent, they had good ideas with souls and those cursed characters, but they arent implementing them . They had best writer but they barely let him do his job . Finally all of this could be ported into any generic D&d like system.
It all feel lazy and unfinished , done by someone who wasnt really convinced in what he was doing.

WL2, good looking, good writing, dull and repetitive combat that could have be done real time . Frankly the level of strategy and brain usage required is similar to fallout 4 .Skill system is slowing down gameplay and cumbersome. Not the spark of crazyness and genious theres in fallout. I guess its an honorable attempt by begginners, not much more.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Can confirm, components qualities can drive a man insane from OCD. The lolrandom nature of merchants having them at all only adds insult to injury. The fact Imerchants rarely refresh inventories (90 mins or so - for me this means 1 refresh per gaming session tops) adds rape to injury.

roshan

Arcane
realistic merchants who don't want your loot... combined with them not baiting an aye when you just dropped the mountains of junk at their feet

Which game actually recognizes this? The same thing could be done in any other RPG as well. Why are you complaining about something in Underrail that you simply accept in every other game? Are you stupid?

As for the crafting, I'll take AoD's straightforward and deterministic system all day, any day. Underrail triggers my OCD too fucking hard. When you FINALLY get that high quality gun frame you dreamt about for the last 5 hours, you then need to find a merchant willing to sell a high quality smart module or a bipod or whatever. AND NOBODY IN THE ENTIRE GAME IS GUARANTEED TO HAVE A PARTICULAR COMPONENT. EVERYTHING is lolrandom. Every. Fucking. Merchant.

So you end up turtle stepping through 88964646514681656851845684164 screens to find that ONE GUY willing to sell the bling bling component part you need to finish your "reinforced infused super awesome armor/weapon of mass pwnage from hell with laz00rs". And then, 2 minutes later you open a random box and find the very component you were looking for. Its quality is also 7 points higher, but now you already used the frame + other components and you're like

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEEEE :x:x:x:x:x:x:x

YEAH, give me 100% predictable crafting pls.
That's a shit opinion.

Sorry - it straight up is. Crafting in Underrail (as a system) is fucking perfect. I know Blaine has some quibbles with quality of the crafted gear - I think the solution to that is a slight (SLIGHT) buff to the gear sold by merchants, but nah - the thrust of your opinion is fucking retarded.

Edit: Should also note I have not liked crafting in any game ever. I tend to loathe it. I love it in Underrail.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Which game actually recognizes this? The same thing could be done in any other RPG as well. Why are you complaining about something in Underrail that you simply accept in every other game? Are you stupid?
Underrail was released in 2015

Sorry - it straight up is. Crafting in Underrail (as a system) is fucking perfect
Do you people even measure your words? Holy shit.

It's p. much every crafting system ever but with extra RNG and arbitrarity. PERFEKSHUN

Tigranes

Arcane
Well.... in the end the difference between 52 quality cloth roll and 59, or something, is whatever.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
In the end the only reason to get crafting is to minmax your equipment stats. If you don't care about the difference between 52 and 59 quality you might as well save yourself the frustration, just get all your gear from vendor and enjoy the free skill points and feats you have to put on things that can actually make your character more fun and versatile.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
As for the crafting, I'll take AoD's straightforward and deterministic system all day, any day. Underrail triggers my OCD too fucking hard. When you FINALLY get that high quality gun frame you dreamt about for the last 5 hours, you then need to find a merchant willing to sell a high quality smart module or a bipod or whatever. AND NOBODY IN THE ENTIRE GAME IS GUARANTEED TO HAVE A PARTICULAR COMPONENT. EVERYTHING is lolrandom. Every. Fucking. Merchant.

So you end up turtle stepping through 88964646514681656851845684164 screens to find that ONE GUY willing to sell the bling bling component part you need to finish your "reinforced infused super awesome armor/weapon of mass pwnage from hell with laz00rs". And then, 2 minutes later you open a random box and find the very component you were looking for. Its quality is also 7 points higher, but now you already used the frame + other components and you're like

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEEEE :x:x:x:x:x:x:x

YEAH, give me 100% predictable crafting pls.
That's a shit opinion.

Sorry - it straight up is. Crafting in Underrail (as a system) is fucking perfect. I know Blaine has some quibbles with quality of the crafted gear - I think the solution to that is a slight (SLIGHT) buff to the gear sold by merchants, but nah - the thrust of your opinion is fucking retarded.

Edit: Should also note I have not liked crafting in any game ever. I tend to loathe it. I love it in Underrail.

I have no problems with the quality of crafted gear. I do have a problem with the mad inconsistency. I exaggerated my point a bit with the "7 quality" part, but the thing that really annoys me is being unable to upgrade gear on my own terms. Let's say I just hit level 10 and picked Ballistics or Skinner or whatever crafting related feat. It stands to reason that this is the perfect time for a gear upgrade, right? Wrong. Because it's not uncommon to browse merchant's wares and realise the guy has ZERO carrier vests/ballistics panels. And then you visit another merchant and the guy does have a vest, but its quality is 30 points bellow the one you're using right now so why bother? Your gear progression is at RNG's mercy and your own willingness to go on a pilgrimage through every merchant's inventory until you find the component you need. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

What I want is to have some consistency in the whole thing. If I go the "the armor store" I wanna see at least one reasonable quality carrier vest for sale and one ballistics panel for sale. 100% guaranteed. It may not be the exact type I wanted, maybe I wanted a hybrid panel but the guy only has laminated, that's fine. But the chance to upgrade is there, you would only pass it up if you're way too picky. I very much dislike feeling robbed of my gear progression simply because RNG decided to give me the middle finger.

Which is why I consider AoD's crafting system to be superior. When I reach Maadoran and bump my crafting to 6 I KNOW that all I have to do is go to the blacksmith, buy some steel, craft new gear and enjoy the benefits of my skill investment. THERE. DONE. The game doesn't troll me with "OH, you wanted some steel, huh? Well, that's TOO FUCKING BAD! I have bronze and meteorite ore. Don't want any? Fine, you can check the other store for steel". And then you check the other store and it has...iron and blue steel. Either I have to wait until the merchant "re-rolls" his inventory or I have to accept that I spent SPs into a skill that isn't giving me any tangible benefits because FUCK YOU, that's why. No thanks. :hahano:

Well.... in the end the difference between 52 quality cloth roll and 59, or something, is whatever.

Yeah. But the difference of having a smart module or a circular wave amplifier or a pair of motion tracking lens and NOT having them is fucking huge.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I liked Underrail but perhaps the fact that I dont worship Fallout tempered a lot of my enjoyment for the game. It is well made, with great homage to beloved scenarios like the "rats extermination" quest. I also love the fact that the game gave you so many options for viable playing all sorts of builds. But it is like adding a lot of ingredients you love into a pot, 3 or 4 might mix nicely but it kind of lost me because there were just soo many options that when Inwanted to try something out and coukdnt because I didnt have the right build I kept thinking that I was playing the game wrong and I should restart.
It is clearly a labornpf love and dont regret one bit supporting Styx but it simply didnt click on me; I simply felt that some games are better than the sum of their parts while this one was competent in almost everything but outstanding in nothing that stood up in my mind and said "Yeah that is it baby"

roshan

Arcane
Underrail was released in 2015

Looks like I fished out another idiot. Why did no one complain about this in SITS, POE, Antharion, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, or any other RPG released in 2015? As far as I know there has been no RPG released thus far where characters will react to or interact with items you leave on the ground. Underrail is actually a pioneer in this regard because I believe enemies can disarm your traps, or turn hostile if they find traps and explosives being set around their controlled zones. This is building off Fallout 2 where IIRC, NPCS would turn hostile if you dropped armed explosives near them.

It's really weird and telling that the dumbfucks on a crusade against this game have to resort to totally arbitrary "criticisms" that are being selectively applied to Underrail only, while they turn a blind eye to their existence in each and every other RPG, 2015 or not.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
The most glaring example of selective criticism is the whining on cooldowns. Cooldowns are only "cool" when Larian uses them, apparently. I wrote a lengthy post on the subject of cooldowns in Underrail. I also showed how every single suggestion presented to replace this "objectively bad design" either created more problems than it solved or was outright incompatible with Underrail's "vision". Several brofists. ZERO quotes. Because deep inside the "anti-cooldown" team KNOW they are talking out of their asses. "hurr durr, it's a single player MMO, mang!". "cooldowns are like League of Legends". Srsly, gtfo. :nocountryforshitposters:

hell bovine

Arcane

Yeah. But the difference of having a smart module or a circular wave amplifier or a pair of motion tracking lens and NOT having them is fucking huge.

Depends on your character build, I guess. I recently "recycled" my psi mages headband by mistake and had to craft another one; even though this one has lower buffs, I haven't noticed much difference in combat. As for smart modules, I think you can get them through the disassemble feat (my guess is that some components are rare on purpose).

In my opinion it's the same problem as with as loot and money: you have an overabundance of both, but you don't need to pick every item or hoard all money, because neither is necessary to progress the game. There is one quest on the main plot line that requires 2000 cash, and that's it. It's just that some people can't stop themselves.

Sorry - it straight up is. Crafting in Underrail (as a system) is fucking perfect.

of course

everything in undarehl is total perfect

it is the perfectest gaem of all time, more perfecter than even the most consistent game of all time, its cousin undertale
Let it go. It just wasn't meant to be.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Looks like I fished out another idiot. Why did no one complain about this in SITS, POE, Antharion, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, or any other RPG released in 2015? As far as I know there has been no RPG released thus far where characters will react to or interact with items you leave on the ground. Underrail is actually a pioneer in this regard because I believe enemies can disarm your traps, or turn hostile if they find traps and explosives being set around their controlled zones. This is building off Fallout 2 where IIRC, NPCS would turn hostile if you dropped armed explosives near them.

It's really weird and telling that the dumbfucks on a crusade against this game have to resort to totally arbitrary "criticisms" that are being selectively applied to Underrail only, while they turn a blind eye to their existence in each and every other RPG, 2015 or not.
I didn't give a fuck about any of those other games and regret ever spending money on WL2 and DOS, you pathetic fanboy. Quit being on this game's defense force, it doesn't need it. I don't know what's with people on these forums and treating every new shit that is remotely decent like it's their girlfriend.

God forbid people wish games had things, done things differently and ever dare give suggestions.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The most glaring example of selective criticism is the whining on cooldowns. Cooldowns are only "cool" when Larian uses them, apparently. I wrote a lengthy post on the subject of cooldowns in Underrail. I also showed how every single suggestion presented to replace this "objectively bad design" either created more problems than it solved or was outright incompatible with Underrail's "vision". Several brofists. ZERO quotes. Because deep inside the "anti-cooldown" team KNOW they are talking out of their asses. "hurr durr, it's a single player MMO, mang!". "cooldowns are like League of Legends". Srsly, gtfo. :nocountryforshitposters:
I didn't respond because your post was a damn long wall of text full of ignorance. Play more RPGs or at least go study how good tabletop systems have managed it. I wonder how we lived without cooldowns being in every piece of shit for like 30 years.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Depends on your character build, I guess. I recently "recycled" my psi mages headband by mistake and had to craft another one; even though this one has lower buffs, I haven't noticed much difference in combat. As for smart modules, I think you can get them through the disassemble feat (my guess is that some components are rare on purpose).

In my opinion it's the same problem as with as loot and money: you have an overabundance of both, but you don't need to pick every item or hoard all money, because neither is necessary to progress the game. There is one quest on the main plot line that requires 2000 cash, and that's it. It's just that some people can't stop themselves.

Yes, some builds are more vulnerable to that effect than others. But it doesn't change the fact that it's there. In order to finish the weapon I was crafting yesterday, I needed to wait on TWO merchant restocks. It's just annoying and unnecessary. Some consistency would improve the system a LOT.

I didn't respond because your post was a damn long wall of text full of ignorance. Play more RPGs or at least go study how good tabletop systems have managed it. I wonder how we lived without cooldowns being in every piece of shit for like 30 years.

You didn't respond because a "ZING" one-liner is the best you'll ever hope to accomplish. Backing up your convictions with actual arguments requires an attention span you simply don't have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You didn't respond because a "ZING" one-liner is the best you'll ever hope to accomplish. Backing up your convictions with actual arguments requires an attention span you simply don't have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
More like I've already had some discussions so many times over the years I've been here, I feel like it's not worth going the enxtra length to convince another two or three people they are wrong on some specific subject they know little about. I even already replied to Aenra about alternative systems on the other thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom