Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Underwhelmed by Fallout :(

roshan

Arcane
I'm playing Fallout for the first time. Vanilla, patched, with the resolution mod, but no other changes to the game. I'm at the raiders base now, but so far, this game has been a disappointment at worst and underwhelming at best.

Let's start with Shady Sands. You have the entire eastern map where there is no one unique to even talk to except a farmer who has two forced lines. Not only that, there is nothing to find, nothing to do, not a single quest. In the western map, you have a woman who explains how to play the game, and you get free XP for talking to her. Then there is Seth whose only purpose is to point out the only two quests in the area, Ian who you can recruit, and then Aradesh and Tandi, who again point out the same quests. There is a doctor who doesn't do anything except heal your character and manufacture antidote.

Next, you've grown up in a vault all your life but this has ZERO effect on your character. Nothing seems to be a surprise for you, it doesn't even come up in dialogue. At least in Fallout 2, the tribal origin of your character played a part in character interactions in Klamath.

Then there are all the shitty dungeons filled with absurdly easy trash combat... Vault 15, radscorpion caves, the vault 13 exit.... Vault 15 was another disappointment, with nothing to do except kill some trashy rats, although I did like the ambiance/atmosphere overall.

Then I get to raiders, and I find characters like Petrox and Talya with copypasted dialogue, none of which flows even remotely like a conversation. And so much of the dialogue is just broken. For example you can ask Diana to repair your equipment without even finding out that she is the camp armorer first. Really amateurish stuff.

So far everything I have played does not even compare to the first couple of rooms in PST's mortuary.

Athelas

Arcane
Did you tell that farmer in Shady Sands about the possibilities of irrigation? :M

I'm not sure what to tell you except Fallout is more than the sum of its parts. Wait before judging until you get to Junktown at least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

Another thread like J_C's?

I do think that part of what many people find endearing about Fallout is that it has a sort of "tight" small indie game feel to it (though they might not describe it in those terms). It really is an obvious "B project" with a certain indie-like amateurish quality to it.

But like many indie games, it gets better later on, as the developer grows more confident and ambitious with his craft. Play until Junktown and the Hub and tell us if you've changed your mind.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Vault Dweller: "I represent a threat you don't even understand. Do you really want to risk our wrath."
Raider Leader: "Hmm. For some reason I believe you. You may take the girl, but do not return unless you seek our wrath."

No flow is an understatement....

roshan

Arcane
Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

Another thread like J_C's?

I do think that part of what many people find endearing about Fallout is that it has a sort of "tight" small indie game feel to it (though they might not describe it in those terms). It really is an obvious "B project" with a certain indie-like amateurish quality to it.

But like many indie games, it gets better later on, as the developer grows more confident and ambitious with his craft. Play until Junktown and the Hub and tell us if you've changed your mind.

Well JC's thread was mainly about combat and bugs. I don't particularly care about the combat, I'm already used to the barebones system as I've played Fallout 2 before. I'm more disappointed with the lack of characters to interact with, the lack of quests, and the quality of the writing (which is unfortunately extremely poor so far).

Overall design is also quite lacking. It really sucks when each and every character in a town serves to point you towards doing the same two quests. Where's the discovery of finding a cool quest/task/mission by talking to some obscure NPC?

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
OP is fag, resolution mod is shit as it shows you stuff you should not be seeing.
Resolution mod is sweet, don't know what you're talking about. Makes the real eye-candy out of the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thread is shit, OP is a faggot. The only weak part of fallout (as I pointed out i my infinite wisdom) is the combat system, which lacks any kind of tactics.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I can understand people complaining about writing in Fallout 1, as it does get inconsistent at times. For example, precisely what in-game clues are given to the player that he can talk to that farmer in Shady Sands about irrigation/rotating crops?

Another one is the radscorpion quest. There is a non-hostile solution to it, but it requires noticing that clicking on one piece of scenery produces a different response than all the other identical-looking scenery pieces on the map. It's not illogical, but it's a bit of a stretch to hope that people notice it.

Later on there are quests that cannot be completed and story hooks that have no bait on them.

Fortunately the atmosphere is awesome all-round and some areas are written brilliantly (like The Glow).

(Oh, and try killing Deputy Kenny.)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you really think that this is how the game was meant to be played?

2589496-5353925746-fallo.jpg
Why, it looks better than playing with the original resolution, which is stretched on HD monitors. It is not meant to be played this way, but there is no better alternative.

OP is fag, resolution mod is shit as it shows you stuff you should not be seeing.
Such as?

Darkzone

Arcane
Is this some kind of trolling thread?
roshan
Play the game for 2 times at least, before you complain. It is not on pair with PS:T concerning the dialogues, but it is much better utilising different level of intelligence of the main character. And certainly Fo:1 is a little bit better than FO:2. Also play it without the Res. mod.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Fallout at max resolution on a modern monitor is of course retarded. However, increasing it to something in the whereabouts of 1280x800 is fine. The latest high res patch also allows you to scale up the graphics, so you can set the game to your monitor's maximum resolution but see less of the map.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Playing Fallout at max resolution on a modern monitor is of course retarded. However, increasing it to something in the whereabouts of 1280x800 is fine. The latest high res patch also allows you to scale up the graphics, so you can set the game to your monitor's maximum resolution but see less of the map.
I'm
possibly_retarded.png
then.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I don't see the problem with max resolution. If the area is unexplored, you will only see fog of war either way. And if it is explored, than you can see the whole map anyway, you just have to scroll more with lower res.
Edit: I'm talking gibberish, don't mind me.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Err, is that so?
Not that totally black fog of war, just that greyish stuff, which covers the areas which your character is not seeing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom