Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Underwhelmed by Fallout :(

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
How could i forget.
4173.jpg

More like,
21.png

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for this thread, roshan. Inspired me to play through the original for the first time in like 15 years. Just like last time, I feel bad for the Followers of the Apocalypse. This time I looked up why, though. :)

Ninjerk

Arcane
Thanks for this thread, roshan. Inspired me to play through the original for the first time in like 15 years. Just like last time, I feel bad for the Followers of the Apocalypse. This time I looked up why, though. :)
I'm playing again, too. Jesus I was so bad at creating characters when I was a kid.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing again, too. Jesus I was so bad at creating characters when I was a kid.
I still am. 3 ST = 10mm Pistol for 80% of the game :cool:

Lemming42

Arcane
I just finished playing Fallout for the first time in ages and decided to play as an Unarmed character, which I'd never done before. Holy shit unarmed is overpowered. Every fight ends after about 20 seconds when you either break someone's arm or rip their eyes out and they end up running away. Even the Deathclaw can be stopped pretty easily if you break both his arms, rip his eyes out and then keep hitting him in the head. And when you get the Power Fist the entire game just becomes Fist of the North Star with people's arms exploding and heads being ripped off left and right. Even the Master is shit before the might of an endless barrage of eye criticals.

I'm tempted to try the same thing in Fallout 2, which I assume would be less forgiving.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Amazing how much of this game you can complete running around with a hunting rifle and leather armor.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
and the game ends... which was not a good decision but something made to shorten the development and push the game out.

Not true. At GDC 2012 Tim Cain stated that the time limit for the water chip quest was controversial within the team from its inception all the way until they shipped and that's why they eventfully patched it out. Nothing to do with the schedule. And I still disagree with their decision as any player with experience with the game knows that a high Survival skill and Pathfinder perks lets you finish the game well bellow the time limit without having to play the locations "out of order" (i.e. destroying Mariposa first). Hell I finished the game under 80 days with a Survival build and even went to the Glow. I don't understand this need to experience everything in one playthrough. I like playing Fallout as a loner-moron that everybody hates and makes fun of. I like playing as a pacifist that tries his best not to get blood on his hands even though an insane mutant wants to dip my whole vault-family in a tub of green goop. And I like the urgency of knowing that if I don't hurry, my vault will die and my game is over.
I think I liked the time limit too. At first I thought I wouldn't meet it, but I did find a way to extend it. As far as I remember, I don't remember any other problems with the time limit, despite grinding levels in a futile effort to stop the crits.

In JA2 there's also a time limit, at least I think there was. If you fail to make progress, you get emails from the boss telling you to pick it up. If I recall right, I did fail one time. Maybe it was just a fake threat, sort of like in Fallout, but it felt real enough.
I also liked the time limit. Even back when I was a kid and new to CRPGs it was extremely manageable and added to the urgency of your quest.

Even the Deathclaw can be stopped pretty easily if you break both his arms, rip his eyes out and then keep hitting him in the head.

:lol:

Knockback effect. Chasing after the target get old fast.

It also wastes your AP like crazy, and you already wasted a lot of it getting up close to the enemy in the first place. That made me drop the super sledgehammer pretty quick, even though the damage was yummy.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didnt mind it. But there was no need to end the game because of it.

I thought the timelimit was very apt for what the game was going for. It offered an actual sense of urgency and it was good that if the player ignored the point of the initial quest, the game had the balls to ignore the player. "You don't care for what you were sent for? Well fuck you too then." Obligations like that are a good thing if done right.

Timelimits in general are an excellent way to apply reactivity; both, crucial and lesser on top of the regular choice based reactivity.

hiver

As i said many times before, there was no actual internal reason to end the game.

The vault could have died off, other consequences could have been established, you would still have a separate story of master and the mutant uprising. Your vault quest would be failed but not the game.
If Mutants invaded the vault the game did not end, right?

Still, having the game end is a very strong meta motivation for the players who otherwise wouldnt care.
But not the best possible solution. In hindsight.

One of those things that Fallouts pointed to.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As i said many times before, there was no actual internal reason to end the game.

The internal reason was that your family died, you had nothing to push forward to anymore than to survive, and that was not what you were given for in the beginning.

The vault could have died off, other consequences could have been established, you would still have a separate story of master and the mutant uprising. Your vault quest would be failed but not the game.
If Mutants invaded the vault the game did not end, right?

Yes. There are multiple possibilities and a slew of different ideas could fit the scenario. True. But that would not serve the initial draw the PC was given. It would null it. One can interpret the situation as one will, and that's really fine, but the death of the family only leaves the PC over nothing, no goal of his own of potent but to survive and that in the given situation that happens best leaving the region -- or something else that feels logical. but then again not everything can fit in a game. I think the original idea was the best, the relevance of the PC in the world ceased to exist when the point of his quest died out. Aftert that it was just about wandering... like in a Bethesda game, ughhhhhh.

Still, having the game end is a very strong meta motivation for the players who otherwise wouldnt care.
But not the best possible solution. In hindsight.

One of those things that Fallouts pointed to.

The players who don't care, and don't care to adapt. shouildn't be cared about. Fuck them. And as said the time could be assigned to great possibilities in the right hands, even if not about "end game" clock, but what Fallout had it should've retained because it made sense.

Fuck, hope I make some sense, I can't proofread myself at this state.... :smug:

Edit -- fuck, I can't even edit my post correctly.....

hiver

:) drunk posting... hope you wont need to

I think the original idea was the best, the relevance of the PC in the world ceased to exist when the point of his quest died out. Aftert that it was just about wandering.
I wouldnt agree with that.

also, i never heard anything about vault dweller family or loved ones...?

Anyway, as i said, i certainly did not mind it. It did add some urgency to the first half of the game and elders should be respected. Their experience and wisdom payed attention to.

Sykar

Arcane
Even the Deathclaw can be stopped pretty easily if you break both his arms, rip his eyes out and then keep hitting him in the head.

:lol:

Knockback effect. Chasing after the target get old fast.

It also wastes your AP like crazy, and you already wasted a lot of it getting up close to the enemy in the first place. That made me drop the super sledgehammer pretty quick, even though the damage was yummy.

That's why I liked the Ripper.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The original vision of the game included the mutants gradually seizing cities one by one. It is one of the optional features that could be restored by Sduibek's patch.

The Vault 13 is invaded last, meaning that if the timer is up, you have failed to prevent the Master or his army from taking over the world/California.

I am inclined to agree about the chip, though. Funnily enough, Fallout 2 had the option of losing the GECK and dooming Arroyo to a slow death, thus failing your 'main' quest even though you still win the game.

Talk about superior C&C. :smug:

the_shadow

Arcane
I'm not sure why people treat Luck as a dump stat. With Luck maxed out, you can choose the 'Sniper' perk to gain a 95% critical hit chance. Add the 'Better Criticals' perk, and you've got a juggernaut of destruction. I've found that Endurance and (to a lesser degree) Strength make good dump stats. I love charisma, because every two points allows you to have an extra companion, which is essentially double damage and more than double hit points.

Sykar

Arcane
I'm not sure why people treat Luck as a dump stat. With Luck maxed out, you can choose the 'Sniper' perk to gain a 95% critical hit chance. Add the 'Better Criticals' perk, and you've got a juggernaut of destruction. I've found that Endurance and (to a lesser degree) Strength make good dump stats. I love charisma, because every two points allows you to have an extra companion, which is essentially double damage and more than double hit points.

Not in Fallout 1.

I'm not sure why people treat Luck as a dump stat.

No clear benefits until you try it out, I guess. I tend to steer away from Luck builds in general because most games go out of their way to make the descriptions as vague as possible (which I suppose is thematically appropriate but I don't feel like investing precious points in something the "affects everything a little bit, somehow...I dunno lol")

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom