Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That cannot be true. Community Manager must just be trying to put a funny spin on why stuff isn't in the game, I refuse to believe that monsters got cut because they couldn't code them not to kill each other.

Grimlorn

Arcane
That cannot be true. Community Manager must just be trying to put a funny spin on why stuff isn't in the game, I refuse to believe that monsters got cut because they couldn't code them not to kill each other.
Well one of the responses from someone claims they're still coming across corpses of dead monsters in levels, even with ones they removed.

Glic2000

Educated
That picture of the plastic figures is a great visual metaphor for how badly managed this project was.

The figures they originally planned to make were based on characters that didn't even make it into the game. Why would you dedicate money to plastic figures when the game's development desperately needs money?* And if you were originally inspired by D&D, why wouldn't you make them the right scale for a miniatures game? Nobody uses 4" tall figures for gaming.

*I know that they had to produce the plastic figures because people paid for them during the Kickstarter, but that seems like the kind of thing you might want to branch out into only after you've got plenty of money raised to actually make the game. It's not like Sir Cabirus was some beloved character that needed to be immortalized in plastic.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's symptomatic of short-sightedness during KS campaigns. Unwise devs are willing to fuck success by getting into businesses they know nothing about, such as figurines and physical goods beyond a box, manual and map. At this point I would argue that KS project outcome success is inversely proportional to the number of achieved stretch and physical good goals during the campaign.

Old Hans

Arcane
Untitled.png

Untitled.png
Anyone remember that video demo of the shadow beast? it looked like something you'd see on the box of a 3D graphics card back in the late 90's

Old Hans

Arcane
It's symptomatic of short-sightedness during KS campaigns. Unwise devs are willing to fuck success by getting into businesses they know nothing about, such as figurines and physical goods beyond a box, manual and map. At this point I would argue that KS project outcome success is inversely proportional to the number of achieved stretch and physical good goals during the campaign.
it seems like a lot of these people love the thrill of the initial KS campaign when anything is possible. when they finally reach their $50,000 KS goal they realize the spin-off TV show & online multiplayer xbox port stretch goals were really bad ideas

Glic2000

Educated
Okay, so why did "a lot of the prototype work have to be scrapped?" They definitely did not communicate anything about that to their backers.

Hines

Savant
Okay, so why did "a lot of the prototype work have to be scrapped?" They definitely did not communicate anything about that to their backers.
I guess because the only publisher who would sign them was 505, and so they had to drop features in favor of a more modest game. No excuse for not fronting up and informing backers though. Though a tacky design, the old Shadow Beast gameplay is still cooler than everything in the shipped game.

Terenty

Liturgist
I guess because the only publisher who would sign them was 505, and so they had to drop features in favor of a more modest game. No excuse for not fronting up and informing backers though. Though a tacky design, the old Shadow Beast gameplay is still cooler than everything in the shipped game.

Yeah, no way they could produce the game with the depth and detail he describes in this video with the money they raised, it was all a pipe dream.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Maybe if they hadn't fucked around during the first 3 years doing jack shit and expanding their team (with hacks, no less), they could have avoided blowing all that KS money down the drain. I'm not saying $860k is a lot (especially when you have physical rewards to take into consideration), but 3 years with a team of 5-6 getting a decent salary of $3k should have been doable under $1m, even when you factor in the cost of capital (rent, software).

Unless I'm missing something about the game development business?

Sinatar

Arbiter
Maybe if they hadn't fucked around during the first 3 years doing jack shit and expanding their team (with hacks, no less), they could have avoided blowing all that KS money down the drain. I'm not saying $860k is a lot (especially when you have physical rewards to take into consideration), but 3 years with a team of 5-6 getting a decent salary of $3k should have been doable under $1m, even when you factor in the cost of capital (rent, software).

Unless I'm missing something about the game development business?

10k per month per person is generally how much it costs to run a game studio in a first world country.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
That's a pretty fucking high estimate.
Possibly, but $3K a month to live in the crapsack that is Southern California? Outside of living in some pretty extreme conditions, you would likely have to commute hours each day to sustain that with any reasonable quality of life.

Zakhad

Savant
Possibly, but $3K a month to live in the crapsack that is Southern California? Outside of living in some pretty extreme conditions, you would likely have to commute hours each day to sustain that with any reasonable quality of life.

We can agree that 3k is too low while also agreeing that 10k is probably too high. Other numbers do exist.

Ranarama

Learned
The full cost of having employees is generally about 2x their salary total. Its an average, but once you've got about 8 people it becomes true almost always, barring some particularly capex heavy enterprises.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're located outside of Boston, MA not California. Mass. is a high taxed state (we call it Taxechusetts) but game studios do get big tax breaks.

Thal

Prophet
You know one of the things that impressed me about Phoenix Point in this regard is that Gollop was willing to move to Bulgaria in order to lower costs and squeeze every dime out of that crowdfunding cash. That move alone indicates to me, that not only he's dedicated to the project, but that he's got enough management capabilities to deliver the game. Stylistic and design choices aside, at least they're making a game that is more or less what they promised.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
You know one of the things that impressed me about Phoenix Point in this regard is that Gollop was willing to move to Bulgaria in order to lower costs and squeeze every dime out of that crowdfunding cash. That move alone indicates to me, that not only he's dedicated to the project, but that he's got enough management capabilities to deliver the game. Stylistic and design choices aside, at least they're making a game that is more or less what they promised.

Actually he moved to the country because his wife was Bulgarian, also partially to get way from game development. (But then he got involved in the forming of the local Ubisoft studio, and then came to found Snapshot.)

Of course I agree that he seems to have decent management capabilities, and he admits that the low living costs of Bulgaria making the production possible. Great choice of starting base location, accidentally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom