Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Max Heap

Arcane
Calling it great or brilliant is quite an overstatement.
I'd call it better. Anything beyond that is probably battered housewive syndrome.

The main quest line is still mostly just a key hunt. What I positively noted though, is that you'd find a key and backtrack through areas where you'd need them before.
So there are a couple more closed metal gates around and there is an actual reward behind them. At least in Upper Erebus.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
He's just a unhealthy LGS fanboy. I guess he did pay money in the Kickstarter though. He's the type of person who will never admit anything wrong with their games, which isn't far off from some people here to be honest.

JDR13

Arcane
I just played for a few hours for the first time since release, and it's a much better game now. It still has some bugs, and it's nowhere close to being a really good immersive sim yet, but the difference between the release version and what we have now is profound.

Another update like that and we might actually have a game on our hands.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee

Cael

Arcane
It's now as obvious as it gets that OS is using fake reviews to get their broken mess to a "mixed" rating after the latest update.

Some dude forgot to buy the game before singing the praises in the Steam forum, then gets pissed when people point out that everyone can see when someone doesn't own the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/692840/discussions/0/3247562523075898907/#c3247562523075948373

Can it get more desperate and pathetic?
You haven't seen the shilling for the HBS game, have you?

Gord

Arcane
So I've decided to check out the new update and started a new game.
Well, it indeed starts to resemble an actual game now, instead of just being a larger tech demo.
They managed to implement the save system and a persistent dungeon after all, even though they claimed only a couple of months ago that this was not possible (not that anyone believed them). It has a very basic narrative structure now and Typhon is presented as a slightly less abstract threat to the denizens of the Underworld.

The gameplay itself is still pretty much the same: you get a quest (just one now, as far as I can tell - Edit: You get one "story" quest at a time, but eventually you get to choose between three faction quests again. ) which has you run to some random part of the current dungeon level to find/kill/gather something.
Once you complete your objective, you now backtrack to the start of the dungeon level, with some new enemies spawning along the way.
Quests are no longer offered on the billboard in Marcaul, but handed out by the spiky saurian lady who apparently is some kind of lizard-gypsy, dragging a gipsy-cart along which serves as the new billboard to post your next quest. As she and her cart are now appearing at the starting areas of the dungeons, going to Marcaul is only necessary to visit the vendor or the skill trainer, as all quests are offered in the dungeon and the different levels are now interconnected by the grand staircase (or at least the stand-in double consisting of a few steps with a door at the end).
Levels have overall received some polish, with many of the issues with level geometry resolved (might get worse in the later levels).
Same seems true for performance, but there are still areas where I get serious dips in fps.
Many concepts, while interesting on paper, still don't work very well (or at all). Notably the deep slugs - you can feed them stuff to alter their slime trail and make them poop effects, but why bother? The Materia Modi (or whatever they are called), which are supposed to alter the environment (by changing water or lava levels), are still introduced by Cabirus, but don't seem to work at all now.
And of course, lizard men look as stupid as ever.

So, overall my impression is that they are slowly completing the technical base - levels, systems, etc. - but are still lacking worthwhile content. The stuff UA offers right now gets old quickly. With a couple of good writers and content creators working on it for a couple of months, the end-result might even be a decent-enough UU-offshoot.
Is that going to happen? I doubt it very much.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's now as obvious as it gets that OS is using fake reviews to get their broken mess to a "mixed" rating after the latest update.

Some dude forgot to buy the game before singing the praises in the Steam forum, then gets pissed when people point out that everyone can see when someone doesn't own the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/692840/discussions/0/3247562523075898907/#c3247562523075948373

Can it get more desperate and pathetic?

From what I know, Gabe don't like that kind of thing at all.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Untitled.png

Things are improving rapidly now.

Untitled.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Some people have really low standards. Praising this thing for being upgraded from tech demo to playable alpha, like, are you serious?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact that the recent positive (and some negative) reviews have like between 0 - 6 hours gameplay is hilarious. It is either shill or paid shill making the reviews.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some people have really low standards. Praising this thing for being upgraded from tech demo to playable alpha, like, are you serious?
Well, an improvement is an improvement. You can't deny that.
As to why that makes a few people suddenly giving a thumbs up, that's a different story.

But that's just Steam reviews, they can change direction within hours if something happens. One day, reviews are inclining due to a committed dev, next day, game's getting review bombed because some dev said something boring on Twitter.

Barbalos

Savant
The fact that the recent positive (and some negative) reviews have like between 0 - 6 hours gameplay is hilarious. It is either shill or paid shill making the reviews.

Is it suspicious if someone posts a positive review after playing 12 minutes? Asking for a friend.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/eisberg77/recommended/692840/

This is such a quality review though, nothing funny going on here:

...this update is short because I haven't played much yet).
The controls world really well. The graphics and the lighting are really nice.

5 people found this review helpful

Seems totally legitimate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom