Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'm from the future and in 2020 Microsoft acquires Otherside Entertainment.
What are you doing here? Go back to 2014 and prevent this game from existing!

Big Wrangle

We must complete the prophecy where Raphael Colantonio takes over System Shock 3 and churns out a fun product from it.

Hines

Savant
The only way they can save this is to make an announcement where they apologize letting everyone down and disgracing themselves, and reassure everyone by backing out of their upcoming projects so they can start over from scratch.

Nyast

Cipher
Posted this on their forums:

I've been playing for 4 hours now and done around 7-8 missions.

So how does the game compare to the alpha/beta backer builds ? Have they solved all the issues ? Is the game good ?

Well, nope. It is exactly as expected. They've been able to hide most of the technical issues under the carpet within the first 2 hours of the game ( a cynical person would remark it is the refund period on Steam ), during which it actually feels smooth and bug-free..

And then, all the issues come back.

I'm now back to the Underswamp and it's a festival of occlusion/clipping bugs, level-building issues ( there's even a place in the northern fort where you can go behind the world. It's litterally in your face when you arrive in that area. I have no idea how it wasn't fixed. It's not a rendering issue, it's a wall that's literally incorrectly orientated ), z-fighting and AI getting stuck absolutely everywhere.

I was hopeful that the physics jankyness was addressed, but nope, the more you progress into the game and the more you're going to get glued to absolutely every little thing.

The dancing chains are still there.

They didn't even test that changing language works and is saved. Go in the settings menu, change your language, validate it and.. nope. Reload the game ? Nope. There's a thread on Steam full of people with the problem. It was reported in beta and ignored.

I'm still playing with French language, and the game actually constantly switches voice dialogs between French and English, with no coherency.

The graffitis are sometimes unreadable blocks, just like in the beta ( although they did fix many of those ).

The key rebinding menu kind of works, but when the UI looks like this, you have to wonder who the hell gave the greenlight: https://i.imgur.com/A8UN2ZA.png

As for framerate, well I was initially hopeful. I have an i6700K + 32 GB of ram + a GTX 1070, so not exactly a weak machine. I got an excellent 60+ fps framerate in the first levels, even Upper Erebus and its infamous slowdowns seemed to run better. But when I reached the Underswamp, the framerate issues started to come back with frequent dips under 20 fps.

The bug about the spellbook randomly losing formulas you've written in is still there, although I do like the fact that finding formulas on graffities is added automatically to the spellbook.

The innovative "dialogue" system with the saurians is as simplistic as ever, with the same voice lines being repeated mission after mission.

I'll continue to play tomorrow, I'm too invested to stop now, and I definitely want to see if there's some progress in the quality / content in the mid / late part of the game. But so far I can safely say that I have no hopes left.

Hines

Savant
We must complete the prophecy where Raphael Colantonio takes over System Shock 3 and churns out a fun product from it.
And we also need to make sure that his sex tape gets leaked.
PM me for a tube site link. ;)
sRlVyzH.jpg

AMG

Arbiter
If they really are commited to improving this game post release, they should have just used Early Access. Releasing it like that only makes sense if they plan to dump it.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Another instance where watching somebody else play the game was the only smart choice. Thanks Sinatar :salute:

troupeg

Educated
Sinatar stopped playing after 6 hours, rated it a 1/5 (he ranks all the RPGs he streams) and put it as the fifth worst game he's even streamed, for context: it's rated worse than Septerra Core but better than Might and Magic IX

grimace

Arcane
If they really are commited to improving this game post release, they should have just used Early Access. Releasing it like that only makes sense if they plan to dump it.

They needed to meet the Kickstarter obligations.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I didn't know they added tentacle rape. Poor guy is getting ass raped something fierce. Sorta like the backers...

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom