Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Community manager admits Update 3 produced new crashes:

Hey there,

Would you be able to send us your crash logs so we can address these issues? We've noticed a lot of new players have been crashing and have only received logs from one other player, and we want to make sure we can fix this.

We weren't seeing this internally until we launched Update 3, and we would definitely like to prioritize this.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/drwakey/recommended/692840/#developer_response

Not only can't they fix their crap game, they are making things worse.

Last edited:

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Yet they've only received crash logs from two players?

Blast from the past:
Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Amateur hour.

As an update to the end of this week, in light of the new-player-crashes that we’re finally catching up on, this is most likely going to set us back on Update 4 and console work. (...)

It was unlikely that our external QA, 505’s QA and our internal QA was able to miss crashes so serious, but it happened anyways, most likely because we did not do a broad compatibility sweep before launching Update.

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/april-22-2019-weekly-update/10041/14

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Hooray, a weekly update! …on a Wednesday.

If you’ve been keeping up with our casual updates, you know that our biggest priority right now is optimizing performance for console builds. At the same time, we are investigating all of the crash reports we’ve received related to Update 3 and still trying to determine the root of it.

For our Update 4 timeline, this may delay us, as well as our console release. Originally, the plan was plan was for Update 3 to be a Very Stable build of UA that we could use as a springboard for Update 4’s more ambitious NPC work. However, we were blindsided by some pretty serious crashes from new players as well as some returning players, and we’re still struggling to nail down the exact cause. As a result of our local QA, 505’s QA, and our external company’s QA who we hired out to assist us ALL missing these crashes, we’ve changed up our QA workflow to cover more specs as we move forward with testing. This also means that some significant time of Update 4 is being taken up to fix issues flagged during Update 3, and ensure they do not persist in the console versions. Obviously we do not want the game to take steps back as we release updates, so it’s important for us to be as timely as we can while being mindful of our limited budget for UA.

Update 4 plan was originally slated for late May / early June. We’re still tentatively aiming for that area, but note that our current priority is submitting builds to console so we can have something ready for this coming year. (These console builds are focused primarily on performance, which will in turn be reflected in PC’s Update 4). For those curious about Update 4’s overall status, most of the frameworks for the systems, new characters, and additional areas we want to include have been set up and require polishing and testing. There are some minor changes that you may be surprised to notice as well, such as the introduction of combat music

There are also some features that we are experimenting with in the interest of making gameplay clearer. We had many new players mention that they didn’t understand combat or didn’t find it interesting and a LOT of feedback on the game UI. Both of these issues have been flagged and are under review from the team with various prototypes that we hope will make these systems easier to understand. We need to be mindful of our scope and budget with these, of course, and crashes and performance still have priority, but it’s a part of the work we’ve been kicking around.

The front lines will be quiet for awhile as I myself will be working on some QA as well as preparing some gif / video assets of our work for Update 4. I’ll be checking in every morning to see what you all think!

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/may-1-2019-weekly-update/10053

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Hooray, a weekly update! …on a Wednesday.

If you’ve been keeping up with our casual updates, you know that our biggest priority right now is optimizing performance for console builds. At the same time, we are investigating all of the crash reports we’ve received related to Update 3 and still trying to determine the root of it.

For our Update 4 timeline, this may delay us, as well as our console release. Originally, the plan was plan was for Update 3 to be a Very Stable build of UA that we could use as a springboard for Update 4’s more ambitious NPC work. However, we were blindsided by some pretty serious crashes from new players as well as some returning players, and we’re still struggling to nail down the exact cause. As a result of our local QA, 505’s QA, and our external company’s QA who we hired out to assist us ALL missing these crashes, we’ve changed up our QA workflow to cover more specs as we move forward with testing. This also means that some significant time of Update 4 is being taken up to fix issues flagged during Update 3, and ensure they do not persist in the console versions. Obviously we do not want the game to take steps back as we release updates, so it’s important for us to be as timely as we can while being mindful of our limited budget for UA.

Update 4 plan was originally slated for late May / early June. We’re still tentatively aiming for that area, but note that our current priority is submitting builds to console so we can have something ready for this coming year. (These console builds are focused primarily on performance, which will in turn be reflected in PC’s Update 4). For those curious about Update 4’s overall status, most of the frameworks for the systems, new characters, and additional areas we want to include have been set up and require polishing and testing. There are some minor changes that you may be surprised to notice as well, such as the introduction of combat music

There are also some features that we are experimenting with in the interest of making gameplay clearer. We had many new players mention that they didn’t understand combat or didn’t find it interesting and a LOT of feedback on the game UI. Both of these issues have been flagged and are under review from the team with various prototypes that we hope will make these systems easier to understand. We need to be mindful of our scope and budget with these, of course, and crashes and performance still have priority, but it’s a part of the work we’ve been kicking around.

The front lines will be quiet for awhile as I myself will be working on some QA as well as preparing some gif / video assets of our work for Update 4. I’ll be checking in every morning to see what you all think!

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/may-1-2019-weekly-update/10053
Local QA, 505's QA, external company QA and the community manager (I assume that's what's called).....so they basically have 4 testers. Cool.
Also the combat was difficult to understand????? Such a wide and in-depth system can indeed be difficult to grasp at first but....... really, that's an actual, real, verifiable complaint? I.......no comment.
And just lol at console release and SS3 and SS4 and whatever Spector was delirious about. You're going to get closed down. You have way bigger problems than updates and consoles and SSs.

Curratum

The official forum is still the community manager conversing one-on-one with that delusional ass-licker Sandro, who still hasn't bought the game, right? :D

Cael

Arcane
The official forum is still the community manager conversing one-on-one with that delusional ass-licker Sandro, who still hasn't bought the game, right? :D
So in other words, their community manager conversing with his alt?

Efe

Erudite
to be frank i look forward to playing this game when it goes to humble bundle (or when i get a free/cheap key). it must have some value if it could entice about 70 pages of discussion on codex

Silentstorm

Learned
Yes, there is value in it, it has value in having been released as a buggy mess lacking content that the developers are fixing...to reveal a mediocre game that fell far below people's expectations or what they wanted.

Seriously, had this been made by some random nobodies as a small indie game, it would have just passed through with no one caring, at best maybe one or two pages about it in this forum, but it had a Kickstarter and the Steam page saying it's from the creative minds behind System Shock, Thief and the Underworld series, and they literally mention the Stygian Abyss, it's like they were asking for hype that could only be fullfilled with a good game.

sk2k

Novice
I have finished the game. I played with Update 3 and i only had 26 crashes in 21 hours playtime. It was maddening!

The amount of bugs is still high. Inventory bugs, AI bugs, object placement bugs, slowdowns, physics bugs (A LOT OF THEM) etc.

I'm looking forward to System Shock 3. :(

This game's biggest apologist is a guy who claims to have never played it. Imagine that.

Silentstorm

Learned
So another developer trying this, huh?

Has censoring critical users or removing negative opinions and reviews ever worked?

As far as i know, they are always found out, people warn others about it and people get rightfully angry, plus they come across as assholes who think they know better than anyone and refuse to learn how to make better games.

Glic2000

Educated
Yeah, I figured they would just fall back on doing a remake of UW 1 when their crazy ideas failed to work out. But no, they didn't have the common sense to do that.

Silentstorm

Learned
To be fair, i don't think they are part of EA and last i checked, they are still the ones holding the IP even though they fucked it up to oblivion and destroyed one of the biggest and most influential series ever, and i don't mean RPG series, i mean just in games in general.

Heck, it isn't even part of the Ultima franchise, they tried to talk to EA, but the best they got was the right to use the Underworld name and some others like the Stygian Abyss, but not the actual setting, characters and such, so while you play as an Avatar, it's not THE Avatar and the Stygian Abyss isn't the one from the old games.

This is not Ultima precisely because EA insists on not doing anything with Ultima and didn't let them use the franchise, though it is part of another RPG's setting, it's in the same universe as Shroud Of The Avatar.

Basically, Ultima Underworld remakes will only happen when EA remembers they have Ultima and do something with it, which is to say, it will likely never ever happen.

Cael

Arcane
To be fair, i don't think they are part of EA and last i checked, they are still the ones holding the IP even though they fucked it up to oblivion and destroyed one of the biggest and most influential series ever, and i don't mean RPG series, i mean just in games in general.

Heck, it isn't even part of the Ultima franchise, they tried to talk to EA, but the best they got was the right to use the Underworld name and some others like the Stygian Abyss, but not the actual setting, characters and such, so while you play as an Avatar, it's not THE Avatar and the Stygian Abyss isn't the one from the old games.

This is not Ultima precisely because EA insists on not doing anything with Ultima and didn't let them use the franchise, though it is part of another RPG's setting, it's in the same universe as Shroud Of The Avatar.

Basically, Ultima Underworld remakes will only happen when EA remembers they have Ultima and do something with it, which is to say, it will likely never ever happen.
After the humiliation that is Ascension, EA would rather forget Utima existed and bury it as deep as it can.

The motherfuckers.

Silentstorm

Learned
Like Ascension, and to a lesser scale, Pagan(because it's not as bad) weren't mainly their fault for heavily rushing the games, not letting the staff do their job, or wanting to focus way too much on Ultima Online, who knows, maybe if they had let Richard Garriott and his staff do their job and take as long as they wanted, we could have had Ultima ending on a high note.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I forgot I owned this game on Steam. Maybe it's time to install it just for the meme value.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom