Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by BEvers, Nov 15, 2018.

1. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    The levels are pretty big, fully exploring them will take over 10 hours total. They're mostly empty though. A lot of time is spent setting wooden obstacles on fire and watching them slowly burn down.
    The game was converted to "open world" by taking a level-based game and then linking the levels together with portals in a post-launch update.
    There are no classes, just perks with fighter/mage/thief themes. The "run better, jump higher" perks from fighter are much better than anything else, because they save on the most important resource, your leisure time.
    There are at least half a dozen different weapon models and a few (invisible) armor items, but the loot is aggressively scaled (by the number of missions completed, I believe), so you will constantly find copies of the same 2-3 items in a level.
    There are also about half a dozen enemy types, although their AI is extremely bad and they have ludicrous amounts of health; they're more of an obstacle/time waster than a challenge. Running past enemies is much more efficient than fighting them. They don't give xp or drop noteworthy loot; you get most of your perk points by doing "trick moves" like double jumping or wall running.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    In the time it took you to write that response, you could have just Googled those things.

^ Top  
  3. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane

<3sRichardSimmons
    Bubbles’ full Codex review when?
    :bounce:

• Excited! Excited! x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gord Arcane

Gord
    My biggest "motivation" to pick up the game once in a while actually comes from sightseeing the levels and contemplating what they originally had in mind for a particular area.
    I might be mistaken of course, but it does look that they had at least a rough draft outlining the abyss and the planned use off the various levels. There are several areas which look like they where supposed to be used as inns, settlements, prisons, etc.
    Obviously they never managed to fill them with NPCs and produce the necessary content to give those any meaning. Instead we have random spawns and loot in arbitrarily placed chests.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Yes, but not as good as Realms of Arkania HD.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nyast Savant

Nyast
    The levels were lazily connected via a "grand staircase" ( which looks like a cupboard staircase in reality ). Only problem is that they still feel disconnected in terms of design, like they're not part of the same dungeon. It feels like you're walking in a sub-area of the Abyss, then get taken to another sub-area of the Abyss, and so on. The game lacks the "glue", aka. the parts of the Abyss that would make you feel it's a coherent world.

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    Community manager admits Update 3 produced new crashes:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/drwakey/recommended/692840/#developer_response

Not only can't they fix their crap game, they are making things worse.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Efe Learned

Efe
    the first company in the world that has introduced new bugs with updates right?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. JDR13 Augur

JDR13
    Yet they've only received crash logs from two players?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Blast from the past:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Steamboat Willie Learned

Steamboat Willie
    I think having half of your active playerbase submitting crash logs is a problem.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • nice nice x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    Amateur hour.

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/april-22-2019-weekly-update/10041/14

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nyast Savant

Nyast
    From the Steam forums: story telling level: grand master

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/may-1-2019-weekly-update/10053

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Child of Malkav Learned

Child of Malkav
    Local QA, 505's QA, external company QA and the community manager (I assume that's what's called).....so they basically have 4 testers. Cool.
    Also the combat was difficult to understand????? Such a wide and in-depth system can indeed be difficult to grasp at first but....... really, that's an actual, real, verifiable complaint? I.......no comment.
    And just lol at console release and SS3 and SS4 and whatever Spector was delirious about. You're going to get closed down. You have way bigger problems than updates and consoles and SSs.

^ Top  
  16. Curratum Learned

Curratum
    The official forum is still the community manager conversing one-on-one with that delusional ass-licker Sandro, who still hasn't bought the game, right? :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    So in other words, their community manager conversing with his alt?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Efe Learned

Efe
    to be frank i look forward to playing this game when it goes to humble bundle (or when i get a free/cheap key). it must have some value if it could entice about 70 pages of discussion on codex

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    Yes, there is value in it, it has value in having been released as a buggy mess lacking content that the developers are fixing...to reveal a mediocre game that fell far below people's expectations or what they wanted.

Seriously, had this been made by some random nobodies as a small indie game, it would have just passed through with no one caring, at best maybe one or two pages about it in this forum, but it had a Kickstarter and the Steam page saying it's from the creative minds behind System Shock, Thief and the Underworld series, and they literally mention the Stygian Abyss, it's like they were asking for hype that could only be fullfilled with a good game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. sk2k Novice

sk2k
    I have finished the game. I played with Update 3 and i only had 26 crashes in 21 hours playtime. It was maddening!

The amount of bugs is still high. Inventory bugs, AI bugs, object placement bugs, slowdowns, physics bugs (A LOT OF THEM) etc.

I'm looking forward to System Shock 3. :(

• Salute Salute x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Steamboat Willie Learned

Steamboat Willie
    This game's biggest apologist is a guy who claims to have never played it. Imagine that.

^ Top  
  22. MasterLobar Angry OtherSide Refugee

MasterLobar
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    So another developer trying this, huh?

Has censoring critical users or removing negative opinions and reviews ever worked?

As far as i know, they are always found out, people warn others about it and people get rightfully angry, plus they come across as assholes who think they know better than anyone and refuse to learn how to make better games.

^ Top  
  24. ShaggyMoose Learned

ShaggyMoose
    I still can't bring myself to play this.
    :badnews:

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    Probably for the best all things considered, it seems like all the patches revealed a mediocre game, nothing that should be compared to Ultima Underworld at all.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)