Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Max Heap

Arcane
So now that they released the patch and console version...:

QA is normally the first department that is hit by layoffs. Followed closely by Community Management.
Administrative jobs like secretaries are next and once content creators like artists or programmers are being laid off it's normally over.

I remember when EA Mythic laid off the lead art designer for Warhammer Online. It was clear at that point, that no further content patches would be released. And that's basically what happened. The only update then was a weird skaven patch with models that have been in the game forever already.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
These people who are now getting laid off have no one but themselves to blame. It is obvious for at least 2 months now that this company is going to close down this summer.

And it's also safe to say this is just the first wave. You heard it here first.

I predict: After the console version (contractual obligation for 505) is out, OS Boston is going to be closed as a cost-cutting measure and the UA and SS3 teams are going to be merged to make more progress to be shown to potential publishers.

Won't save the studio, though. They are doomed.

Protip for everyone still employed in this sh*thole: Run as fast as you can.

And one day all of a sudden, it's going to be like 20 years ago:

"Late in the day on May 24, 2000, Paul Neurath called a meeting. The co-founder of Looking Glass Studios asked every employee to attend. (...) "We’re closing," Neurath told the anxious crowd, (...) and the Looking Glass faithful were officially unemployed."

https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/6/8285529/looking-glass-history

Til the last day, these sociopaths are going to tell everyone that everything is fine. The last ones they'll screw over will be their own employees. Poor folks.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think in his case it is, considering he wasn't doing what he actually wanted to do and was able to do it.

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
So this guy lost his job? Good riddance.

Untitled.png

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Masterlobar is a deranged vulture circling a carcass. Another few pages and maybe 1,000 hours more verification that it's shit and the thread title can change.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Codex Year of the Donut
The Thief 2 vid predates the Prey vid. He must have moved up the ladder

Perhaps, but unless i missed it (it is a 71 minute video after all), he doesn't mention that he was the one worked on the level (he actually mentions "the designers" - which can be interpreted as both him being part of the team and not) so it isn't clear if he did move up the ladder.

Of course it is possible he was promoted (and might be mentioned in an in-between video, i haven't watched the Alien Isolation one since i haven't played the game yet) but i have my doubts considering that the Thief 2 video was uploaded a year ago whereas the Prey one was 9 months ago and i do not think they'd promote him to a totally different position in just a few months *and* to he to have any significant impact on the game.

So actually i went looking around a bit and found his site where he says that he's still on QA, although they did let him do a bit of "additional design" a couple of months ago (Feb 19):

Otherside Entertainment (Additional Design, Feb ‘19; Senior QA, Nov ’18 - Present; QA Consultant, Nov ‘17 - Oct ‘18): Position working on Underworld Ascendant and Underworld Overlord as a bug tester. Involves running smoketests, logging bugs in Hansoft and Jira, formulating and executing test plans, and writing C# scripts in Unity to automate tasks. Was given responsibility for technical and level design tasks under guidance of senior design, resulting in an Additional Design credit on Underworld Ascendant.

So now that they released the patch and console version...:

I hope him find a better place that he can show his dedication.

lFVO40Y.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Thanks to everyone for the supportive messages. I have a LOT of thoughts I'll probably be composing erratically over the coming weeks. Most important info first: I'll be receiving one more paycheck from Otherside, and I've been given some severance, so I have some time.

Second, it wasn't just me affected. Three other people were let go yesterday, and two people were reduced to part-time. I've been told that I could be rehired once the company gets some more funding, but the timing on that is really hard to predict.

I'll be spending some time updating my resume, as well as finishing a portfolio piece for a bunch of design I actually did for Update 4 on UA. Hopefully I can get that done in several days. A couple of designers still at OSE generously said they'd work on my materials with me.

Others have already been digging up openings for me to apply to; apparently there's Facebook groups of developers that are "alumni" of particular studios, such as Irrational and Harmonix, and people have already passed our resumes around there, which I'm astoundingly grateful for

A surprising number of people came out of the woodwork once I mentioned I was laid off, and I'm very humbled by their help. The amount of solidarity I've been shown is very touching. It's a great example that I hope I'll be able to live up to someday.

As I'm sure you can understand, the amount of work I'm going to be putting towards the channel is probably going to drop off during the job hunt. As if it didn't take me long enough to put out videos.

I'm unsure about the approach I'll be taking for Level Streaming going forward, but the approach of ONLY working on the map during the stream was started with the assumption that I wouldn't need to look for work again. So, obviously, I need to finish it more quickly now.

I'm thinking of working on it as much as I can outside of job application time, and then using the Sunday streams as a way to showcase progress instead. I've also been thinking about stopping the streams, though I really don't want to.

We've also got a complication, in that I was using the laptop provided by work for a lot of my projects. I've been told I can pay for it, but OSE needs to wipe it first, since it had UA source files and Shock 3 stuff.

So for the time being I'm back on... my high school graduation laptop. What a beauty.

D9mJ1EdXoAI0WKT.jpg

I also don't know what's deemed "acceptable" in terms of talking about the process of being laid off, but I want to talk a lot about it on here. The Playing Field kinda broadened into discussing game development as a whole, and layoffs are (regrettably) a part of the experience.

So, yeah, I'm probably going to be ruminating on this a lot for the next couple months. It's interesting, because I wanted to make a more personal video about the experience of having your job leech into your personal life, but decided not to do it a little while ago.

And now I want to do it again all of a sudden :P

Anyways I'm probably going to go see if I can find some poutine in Boston.

Silentstorm

Learned
It's never a good sign when you have someone on Twitter being happy about getting out of a company, then again, considering Underworld Ascendant, who can blame the guy for not wanting to be associated anymore with it?

Also, really cool to see that people in the games industry can help each other, and damn, UA is just a flop all around, huh?

Honestly, if they had put more work into it or, you know, provided an actually good game at launch, they would have been alright, but nope, they released a broken awful game and seemed to rely on having famous people in the games industry having worked on the game be enough to make people buy it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, I mean the guy who posted on the Codex for the first time isn't him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom