Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is easily the most overhyped vaporware game on the Codex.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
LOL!

What a fucking joke.

but I was under the impression the prototype was going to be an expansion of what was shown months before with the shadowbeast etc.

Yes, that is what they led people to believe. But being it was just bullshit scripted nonsense they couldn't release the lie.

And seriously...untextured Default Unity shapes? Couldn't be arsed to throw a fucking texture down?

Come on, men! I know you think I am to down on this "game"...but look at it...LOOK AT IT.

I'd go hide under my desk if I released this "prototype" piece of shit.

Zep--

Sonus

Educated
How do up-front statements about this being focused on physics and being stripped of assets and aesthetics get turned into an expectation of a vertical slice of a current game build? Goddamn.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
How do up-front statements about this being focused on physics and being stripped of assets and aesthetics get turned into an expectation of a vertical slice of a current game build? Goddamn.

How? Well, they "supposedly" already had a fully textured "prototype" they promised to release. But instead, they release this 3rd graders "My First Level!!!11!"

Man, these Otherside guys are comedy gold.

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No other major Kickstarter-funded game developed from scratch has ever released anything playable to backers so soon after being funded, so I guess we'll just have to happy with this for now. Perhaps the pre-alpha early next year will be more like the Shadow Beast demo.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
No other major Kickstarter-funded game developed from scratch has ever released anything playable to backers so soon after being funded, so I guess we'll just have to happy with this for now. Perhaps the pre-alpha early next year will be more like the Shadow Beast demo.

Uh What? Everytime I update the "LOL UA Pledged: $914,363 11/25/2015"

You jump in with, "They have external backing. The KS Fund are just for shits and giggles."

Make up your mind, dude.

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is that Dawnrazor's interview? He looks pretty normie.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Sometimes I wish I could unscrew the top of people's skulls, like a peanut butter jar. A small poof of 'derelict dust' poofs out to the sound of pulling the aluminum seal off a fresh tin of coffee. Then I envision myself placing a small measure of sense and capacity from my brain to theirs into their heads, then screwing the top back on. I step back, feeling magnanimous and wait for the lights to flicker on. Suddenly the person is capable of considered thought, making new connections. Win win.

:negative: If only it were that easy. Guess that makes me a douche.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They preemptively debunked the "this is all fake, the entire video is a scripted event!" argument by telling us that backers are going to be playing this themselves less than a month from now.

A wise move, actually.

:philosoraptor:

Obviousplant

Educated
So to what extent does the spell casting system work in the demo? I'm interested to know how fluid it is, given that the rune systems weakness is how slow it is to jump between spells in a combat situation. I hope they can combine the casting system of MMOs (where you can choose from 15-20+ spells at any time) with a minimalistic UI of an immersive sim and creative spell combinations that a rune based system allows.

Is that Dawnrazor's interview? He looks pretty normie.
Yeah. We wrote the questions together, Dawnrazor did the interview, Chris captured the video and sent it to us.

Aside from fidgeting in an uncomfortable chair, and having my eyes glaze over while I read questions from a computer screen, it was pretty alright.

Mind you, I am still stuck at the rope climbing bit in the prototype. The collision detection makes it somewhat iffy to jump, since you end up jumping 'into' the rope, even when you try to crawl around the side of it. How did some of you guys get through the testy collision detection?

Have not gotten to the stairs yet. Hopefully they'll fix some of this in the prototype, I did get the feeling it needed a couple months in the oven. To Otherside's credit, they sound completely confident in their end product.

From what I gather interviewing Chris, the game is a dedicated sandbox simulation, which is about as Looking Glass as it can get. Everything responds just as it should in real life. You are in a persistent sandbox, the game gives you a toolkit, and then allows you to engineer your own solution. That is the ideal at this point, anyway.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So in regards to the rune-casting system, I've got a bit of an explanation here with some examples and pictures:

Taking some paraphrasing from one of the devs on the Otherside forum: The rune-casting system is built around 'nouns and verbs' which you pair together to create a 'sentence'. Not all combinations are valid (and I didn't take pictures of invalid combinations). But you open up the rune window using the 'tab' key and select your rune noun and verb which are on screen. These combinations have different effects, not all which are completely apparent. I still don't know what a few of them do.

Pictures below:

As shown, this is one of the first rune combinations that you learn. It allows you to light your torch and light other torches and maybe something else.
pre_alpha10_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwru.png

pre_alpha11_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwrd.png

Another rune combination that you learn with the 'B and S' looking runes allows you to create vines from ceilings and mushrooms on the ground.
pre_alpha12_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwr9.png

pre_alpha13_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwr3.png

pre_alpha14_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwqy.png

Another combination allows you to create wind that blows in your direction that boosts movement or pushes objects.
pre_alpha15_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwqk.png

This next rune for combination for example creates a vortex (the first picture is actually the aftermath since it was so quick that I didn't get the picture in time)
pre_alpha16_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwqa.png

pre_alpha17_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwq1.png

Another combination is like something that pushes stuff around from the epicenter, like the opposite of the vortex.
pre_alpha18_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hzwpp.png

There are a lot more, but they are kind of hard to demonstrate without a video, I'll see if I can get some more examples later.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mind you, I am still stuck at the rope climbing bit in the prototype. The collision detection makes it somewhat iffy to jump, since you end up jumping 'into' the rope, even when you try to crawl around the side of it. How did some of you guys get through the testy collision detection?
You have to physics the rope. So, when your camera is level (like horizon level), you can press the forward and backward keys (w and s by default) to build up momentum and you can jump after you feel like you have enough clearance to get to the ledge.

Obviousplant

Educated
Of course it's still a work in progress and there are no enemies to fight (?), but does it feel like changing your rune layout would be doable on the fly while in combat? Like say you're being chased by an enemy and you come across a chasm, which you can jump over by aiming the push air spell at your feet while jumping. Can you do it fast enough if there are no keyboard shortcuts for switching between your active spell?
What I worry about is if selecting runes manually is unconducive for making split second decisions in combat (like exploiting the environment/elements), it would be a shame if the system essentially locked you to using the same spell for the entire duration of the fight. Less chances for creative use of spells.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I feel for you guys who paid big money to play this first.

I'd be super pissed off if this was what was delivered to me and I paid a high tier.

I don't even want to play it last after looking at it.

Zep--

For whatever it's worth, the devs are pros in the industry, and they feel truly confident about their finished product. I think that says miles more than any fan interview could disclose.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
For whatever it's worth, the devs are pros in the industry,

No, they were pros 18 years ago.

Then they went whale fund and MMO bullshit...and Underworld Ascendant is what you get.

These guys now, washed up has-beens trying to re-live some glory days as their last hur-rah. The Glory Days!

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom