Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Zakhad Savant

Zakhad
    That makes it sound like they're still years away from release... when they're releasing in months. And "consultants from outside the company, who are helping us weigh in on how we can maximize with our scope", good lord. I Still want to hold out hope, but... :negative:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Why couldnt they simply get it? We wanted a straight up dungeon crawler with some good enconters, level design and an interesting setting... not all their “reactive puzzles” bullshit, neon light enemies and cartoony ass monsters
    I never got the butthurt over Fallout but I am begining to appreciate it with this, at least Tim Cain wasn’t the one rapping the remains of Underworld

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    Because fuck you and fuck the KS backers and fuck the original games!

I'm not even sure who they're targeting with this bullshit. The Portal / Talos Principle / Quantum Conundrum crowd will never endure their shitty physics and dungeon setting, the RPG fans don't want the crap physics puzzles and the dumb feat system, the average gamer will be completely turned off by the "dungeons only" playspace and the relatively convoluted (by console popamole standards) level design. Who the fuck are you making this game for, Tim, Paul?

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zakhad Savant

Zakhad
    I think with all the decisions they've made they could still make a fun game.

I think the issue is that, like most kickstarters, they over-promised, had feature creep, and then ran out of money.

^ Top  
  5. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    I think that they do not understand their audience and its core. And they got their minds lost in the ideas of physics and influencing the world by magic.
    A straight forward first person game with a good RPG system and good (reactive and fluid) combat would have drawn more attention. And would made more fun and by this virtues reached higher sales. Their only chance for a comeback is now gone, because i don't think that SS3 will draw much attention after a "failed" UA. Simplicity is the key and they have dropped it into the sewers. I will play it for sure, but this is just me and some other guy that supported them on KS (exaggerated).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Nyast Savant

Nyast
    They're still figuring out how to link the levels together, 3 months, err.. less than 3 months before release.

At the moment eveything is linked by magical portals. Not kidding.

They're speaking about making a giant staircase, but maybe not, who knows.

I've played the main hub ( Marcaul ) in the backer alpha, it's a giant linear serpentine layout. Even if they open it up here and there and add buildings interiors, if it stays anywhere close to what I've seen, it's gonna suck.

I'm trying hard not to be too negative, but if you're worried about physics puzzles at this stage, I believe you're fighting the wrong war. The game has far more serious issues than its physics puzzles, unfortunately.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Yes I'm sure that was Looking Glass' motto when making groundbreaking games like Ultima Underworld or System Shock 1/2. Sounds like it is you that doesn't understand the audience.

System Shock 3 has Warren Spector and a mid-tier publisher's backing. A possible failure of UA would have an impact, but I wouldn't write off the commercial performance of future projects by the company based on it. Their chance for a optimal comeback is likely gone, but other than that we'll see.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    We should wait until it's released, but right now my thinking is that this game should never have been made. They should have Kickstarted a "totally-not-Thief" game instead. The reduced mechanical scope of a pure stealth game would have been a better fit for a Kickstarter budget. And after the disappointment of Eidos Montreal's Thiaf, the Kickstarter would have done well.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ash Arcane

Ash
    That would be a recipe for success, but I don't think it would have been necessary. 1 million isn't a good fit for an Underworld-like and is most likely the main reason why the project appears underwhelming, but I think the root of their problems was the Kickstarter pitch. Who donates? The core fans. Relatively "Hardcore" old school gamers. What did they come out promising? Bunny rabbit companions, multiplayer, and only mild promises indicating it would be something worthy of a classic like Underworld, let alone an evolution of it. It was a rather underwhelming and definitely impacted the project's potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Thal Savant

Thal
    Yeah, I remember how everyone was taken back by the co-op stretch goal. The first sign of trouble. Why would they put so much effort on a feature that would add next to nothing to a proper dungeon crawl experience? But considering the team's infatuation with various ways of solving puzzles, it seems to me that they were shooting for the Portal crowd with that one. Because it would add to that kind of game, providing more ways to solve them and more complex puzzles. I haven't played it, but wasn't Trine based on something like this, with a single player controlling 3 characters? Totally different game than UU though, which is why I think this stretch goal might actually have had a negative impact on the funding. The audience wanted a dungeon crawl with brains. What the devs wanted is less obvious, but I guess we'll know in a few months next year.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    One thing that's always been clear is that they never wanted or intended to make a "retro" game.

There's this dude on the OtherSide forums, MasterLobar, who for years deluded himself into believing he was getting an Underworld 2 sequel with Ultima references and stuff. And now he's upset. Kinda sad!

But that would have been another advantage of making a Thief-like game instead. Thief was a less retro game, more in tune with the developers' current sensibilities, so their pitch for it would have been more forthright and honest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Thal Savant

Thal
    Which is absolutely right. UU was revolutionary and magnificent but its tech is ancient by today's standards. They shouldn't emulate it, because today's tech would allow them to make something better. The thing is, there is no simulationist first person free movement dungeon crawl is there? I believe many were hoping that UA would have been that game. I don't mean to sound all negative though. If the level design is on par with Thief for example and they can make combat satisfying, the game could still end up great. But that's a big if.

Agree that a Thief-like game would have been easier to make. Fewer moving parts, and thus easier to make with limited funding.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    If they didn’t want to go “retro” then why not a new IP? If all they needed was the Underworld name recognition why oh why couldn’t they understand those of us who backed this Kickstarter and wanted something in the same ballpark as UU
    Now, I don’t remember any box puzzles in UU and most of its limitations (like the combat) are more based on the restrictions from the time rather than design
    Granted, most of us didn’t want pixalated textures to feel in a “retro” dungeons; we wanted well done believable dungeons, with a believable ecosystem, interesting believable puzzles...not fucking box puzzles or burning doors or neon light enemies

I am guessing they did want to make a “neo” Portal and they ended up with this fucking abomination

^ Top  
  14. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Well, it should have probably been delayed by a year or such, but I guess they lack the funds for that.

^ Top  
  15. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Divinity: Original Sin
    It's almost like that thing Zep-- said many years ago...

Show Spoiler
    Game will be shit.

Zep--

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Let's not shit on physics puzzles too much. It'd be great in moderation. They definitely have their place, just not as this alleged primary focus.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Weren't they talking about multiple emergent cave ecosystems, and how killing animals in one area would change the entire ecosystem? It feels like they spent a few years screwing around without actually knowing what game they wanted to make.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama

That's the kind of Peter Molyneux, Sean Whoever-The-Hell-Did-No-Mans-Sky type bullshit that tells me the game will 100% fail hard.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    I am that other guy :(
    Do you also touch yourself every time you stop by to make another of those useless posts? Does it get you off?

• butthurt x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    You know what is really telling about this whole project? We have yet to see a single NPC interaction or dialogue other than the retarded “non tutorial” bit; for all its great level design the UU games had some pretty memorable bits for its NPC interaction like the Lizardmen level and so far we have seen nothing yet on how the actual dialogue system is going to work... hell for all we know we might get the Mass Effect dialogue wheel or something equally “innovative” as their box puzzles

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    They're probably cobbling together the story and characters in the last month before shipping. This is actually not so unusual in game development.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    This is such a colossal fuckup...the UU legacy deserves better
    :0-13:
    And have you guys seen the system requirements? Holy shit from what we have seem the Beta is running relatively well but a recommended 1080?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. imweasel Guest

imweasel
    I have an AMD RX480 and the beta ran perfectly fine @1080p with all graphics settings set to max.

Yep. The beta doesn't feel like an Ultima Underworld game at all, which is a damn shame.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2018
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    I's always funny to watch a trainwreck like this, except i bought a ticket...

• Despair Despair x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Be fast mate!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)