Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Those people comparing it to Thief made me think tthat, well, maybe it's no RPG but I'd love a new stealth game like that.

When I actually looked up footage though all I can say is it looks like ass
They did allude to making a thief 3 in December 2017 update video. In chat someone asks about Thief and the bald guy at the table says they might have something and to watch the latest news/updates/blogs from them.
And besides I only care about gameplay, the graphics not so much.
Edit: I'll post a link once I find the video.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I thought the actual Thief 3 was ok; yeah it's consoleized but it still has some cool level design and missions. Plus there's a fan mod to remove all the loading zones within levels, making it feel a lot more like 1 and 2!

Thief 4 is fucking dogshit though, we all know that. Even Cyanide's Styx games are better

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Previews are out:

The combat in these early scenarios is attritional, as you go up against the first of the skeletal undead through the game’s tutorial area. They can take quite a beating, whether trying to fire arrows from a distance or smacking them with a rusty old sword, or even whacking them with bones. It’s easy to dance around them as they signpost their attacks, but it still takes several hits to knock them down. The early instances of magic also feel somewhat underwhelming. You’d expect a magical punch to knock enemies flying or stagger them, but in this build they lacked impact.

Hopefully improving the feedback you get through fighting and the balance of these early encounters has taken place in the final stages of development – this build was already several weeks old, but the game is releasing for PC at the end of next week.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2018/11/05/hands-on-underworld-ascendant/

And the new abyss has a lot of character, too with its colorful tabletop mini-figure art inspiration and myriad factions. During my playthrough, I only see the bipedal Lizardman tribe, the Saurians. But the game is full of races, such as: The Shamblers – a “fungal hivemind” – the deep elves who can gift players enchanted weaponry, and the Dwarven Expedition who can forge master-crafted armor.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/05/through-the-looking-glass-hands-on-with-underworld-ascendant

We spoke to OtherSide after playing the game to hear about their motivation going into this Underworld game, and Paul Neurath explained to us that they "didn't want to simply do a sequel or revisit those games, because we made those games in the early '90s and we've learned a lot since then, and we really wanted to push the immersive sim category forward."

https://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/707923/Underworld+Ascendant/

As I spoke with Warren Spector, Tim Stellmach and several others at the studio, one strong feeling came through. This is a game designed for veterans first and foremost. That might make sense if you consider the game’s Kickstarter origins, but I’ve found that its appeal could be wider.

https://techraptor.net/content/underworld-ascendant-learning-rope-spell

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Previews are out:

The combat in these early scenarios is attritional, as you go up against the first of the skeletal undead through the game’s tutorial area. They can take quite a beating, whether trying to fire arrows from a distance or smacking them with a rusty old sword, or even whacking them with bones. It’s easy to dance around them as they signpost their attacks, but it still takes several hits to knock them down. The early instances of magic also feel somewhat underwhelming. You’d expect a magical punch to knock enemies flying or stagger them, but in this build they lacked impact.

Hopefully improving the feedback you get through fighting and the balance of these early encounters has taken place in the final stages of development – this build was already several weeks old, but the game is releasing for PC at the end of next week.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2018/11/05/hands-on-underworld-ascendant/

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=6434.0

Also references encountering the factions (rather odd, since recently announced as no longer an in-game presence)

thinking.png
(or should I say
dollars.png
)

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
That gameinformer preview makes it sound kind of neat. I guess it wouldn't be the first time something comes together right at the end but I'm definitely going to wait for actual human people to get their hands on that shit first.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, lighting looks much better.

Steam page is updated with the new screenshots and a new description ("more than 70 quests and numerous Side Bounties"):

From the creative minds behind the acclaimed Ultima Underworld®, System Shock and Thiefseries, in Underworld Ascendant®, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector's OtherSide Entertainment challenges you to think creatively in an interactive sandbox environment.

You are summoned by a mysterious figure to The Stygian Abyss, a dangerous and constantly evolving dungeon world imperiled by the looming threat of the beast Typhon. To save this world, and yours – you must overcome complex challenges, uncover lost secrets and gain favor with factions to maximize your knowledge and strength. Utilize your environment to stack the odds in your favor. Devise the ideal plan to overcome the challenges you face or dive in and think on your feet.

Each decision holds great opportunity and grave consequence. What you leave behind will be engraved on the lives of others. Assuming you survive

KEY FEATURES:
A DEEPLY IMMERSIVE WORLD
Enter a fully-realized dungeon realm, from the village of Marcaul to the Vault of Nyx and seven other large-scale levels to explore, each comprising a labyrinthine assembly of rooms, passages, halls and ruins connecting massive cavern complexes. Interact with useful flora and physics-based traps. Encounter fantastic creatures like Lizard Men, opportunistic Outcasts, and fearsome Mind Cripplers – all with unique abilities that can be used to your advantage.

A HERO TO CALL YOUR OWN
Tailor your skillset by combining more than 75 skills from three different archetypes (Combat, Stealth, Magic) that you can mix and match to develop a unique hero who is truly your own. Craft over a hundred different types of spells using the runic spell crafting system. The game sets the challenge, the solution is up to you.

CONSTANTLY EVOLVING UNDERWORLD
Become embroiled in an epic plot, as rival factions vie for dominance in struggles that ebb and flow across the realm. The decisions you make have consequences on events and the world around you. Unique challenges, dynamic enemy spawning, variable Outcast-built structures and a degrading world state that varies enemy population provide a dynamic world to play through in many different ways.

EMERGENT QUESTS
Set out on more than 70 quests and numerous Side Bounties that reward you for avoiding detection, going unarmed and more, providing many opportunities to explore, replay and test unlimited strategies and playstyles.

UNIQUE REWARDS SYSTEM
Earn rewards and unlock skills through resourceful, unboxed gameplay and ingenious performance. Solve challenges in unique ways and push yourself to experiment.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought the actual Thief 3 was ok; yeah it's consoleized but it still has some cool level design and missions. Plus there's a fan mod to remove all the loading zones within levels, making it feel a lot more like 1 and 2!

Thief 4 is fucking dogshit though, we all know that. Even Cyanide's Styx games are better
Can you link the mod?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=6434.msg35159#msg35159

Morning guys! Catching up on press news while working on the weekly update; perhaps best placed in a thread like here.

SO! The press embargo has lifted, and we've already seen some of the reactions held by press as they played through sections of the game. I'm juggling Kickstarter rewards (particularly physical!) while also managing some pesky Backer Beta issues that cropped up over the weekend after our latest patch. I wish we could update our Kickstarter FAQ, but alas, it's not an option once you've met your goal. It would be a lot easier to put all of our information on one page...

Office-wise, it's been a whirlwind of activity as we get ready for launch. LOTS of polishing. Practically pencils-down on levels and just all bug fixing and polishing at this point.

And good eye on the First Week Purchase incentive! It should be noted that KS backers and First-Week purchasers receive different Vorpas and Mana Leeches. (The KS Vorpa is stronger, and the KS Mana Leech can hold more mana). They also have different skins, which I'd love to share in a bigger KS-Rewards-Update post sometime this week.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
PC Gamer is becoming suspicious :eek:

It looks like an interesting physics-based sandbox, but what's the actual game?

The launch trailer released today continues to lean on that aspect of the Underworld, without showcasing any of the elements that made the original so compelling, like deep lore, conversations with monsters (most of whom just want to live their lives), or the large, open levels filled with puzzles and secrets. Which, to be fair, are tough things to get across when you've got 60 seconds to attract and hold people's attention in a trailer, but I'd very much like to get a glimpse of a talkative troll or two in there.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/the-unde...h-trailer-puts-an-old-dungeon-in-a-new-light/

Sacibengala

Prophet
Yeah, received an email to choose between steam and drm free. But I all I want is a gog key. It will be a pain if they give drm free from whatever and don't give us the gog key down the "wire"

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
This is so weird. Could be the next "Kingmaker" or total crap. No previews, no reviews, not even a demo or an idea about the story. It's frustrating.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Maybe GOG doesn't want Ascendant because the game is so overwhelmingly terrible that it falls below GOG's minimum quality standards.

Mortmal

Arcane
Kingmaker had no previews no reviews either cause it was completely unfinished, why would it be different here.First levels will work then it will be an utter disaster.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
GOG have rejected UA:

Hi folks, our "DRM-free" version with not be via GoG. Finalizing another option now and will update the thread when we know definitively.

Sam was sending around a question via BackerKit so we know how many keys we would need. Sounds like we need to be clear that it's not GoG since that will impact some people's decisions.

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=6437.msg35191#msg35191
LOL, there are idiots in that thread who are saying that they are butthurt and wouldn't have even backed the game if they knew it won't be on GOG. Like, did these fuckers back a game they wanted to be made, or a platform?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom