Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Released

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
:whatho:
So why are you arguing retarded ideas then? Bigger budget no budget the end result is what matters; the Underworld Abomination is a complete fuckup regardless of the mismanaged budget or design issues and Hero U is a good game so stop your ranting just because you want to defend Abomination just to be edgy and shit... and now that I think about I have never seen any posts from you in the Ultima Underworld threads so that explains your lack of outrage

Mustawd

Did you try reading the posts and understanding them?

Like...I don’t know how else to communicate what I’m saying. I guess I could draw you a picture?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did you try reading the posts and understanding them?

Like...I don’t know how else to communicate what I’m saying. I guess I could draw you a picture?
Yes please do because it seems you are either such a genious you cannot explain yourself to mere mortals or you are not understanding that my point is the same in all of my posts; the Coles also had a badly managed project, had budget issues and could have done it much more efficiently and under budget but they decided to get additional revenues and not only salvaged the project but made a gane that is not only very good but well received by fans of Quest for Glory
Ultima Abomination will do neither of those

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Holy shit the game is so fucking broken.
Was it that hard to scale back and make something more than bottleg Thief?

Latelistener

Arcane
We need new and better games and to leave the past in the past. Those people, they're burned out a long time ago and it is the reason why they were on the outskirts of history until Kickstarter.

Big Wrangle

I know scapegoating Unity is all the rage but switching to Unreal wasn't gonna fix the game.

Shinji

Savant
It reminds me of when Shroud of the Avatar was first announced.

If you look at this video (from 2013), you can see some potential for an offline Ultima game, with an overworld, towns, exploration and so on.

I think if Richard Garriott decided to do a game with a smaller scope and budget it could actually turn into something more interesting than what we have today. Heck, if it was successful, he could even do a sequel, just like with the Ultima series.

I guess these people need to keep their expectations (and ego) in check.

Big Wrangle

After that preview build most sites didn't cover the game further. Would be interesting to learn about sale figures somewhere down the line. Kinda hard to make bank when nobody cares.

Latelistener

Arcane
I know scapegoating Unity is all the rage but switching to Unreal wasn't gonna fix the game.
No, but a game made on Unity cannot be taken seriously when it bears a name like System Shock or Ultima Underworld. It may be sufficient for a remake or a port, but it's not what people want from a successor.

Night Dive had a good concept and they were going to use UE4. I would want to play that, but they should have made the SS remake first without trying to fuck backers.

Razorfist is fucking crazy, people here like Witcher? Seriously?
People could see the fucking glaring problems with this game from miles away, Oh I fucking wish we had another Thief but to go that far. I really dont know what is his fucking problem. Especially because he has decent taste.
Reminder that Razorfist is a contrarian that posted a video of wanking himself off. And then denied he did it. It's so nice that he made such a wonderful analogy to what he actually does in the majority of his videos.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Make one question how they did that. It clearly was not an easy game back then and perhaps not even easy to make it now, in the exactly same way.
It reminds me that Faery Tale Adventure was created by David Joiner in 7 months in 1986, on a new type of computer that he'd only had a few months prior experience with. Frankly, I think the programmers, designers, and artists who created classic RPGs were, in general, far more competent than the people currently working in the CRPG industry. :M

DeepOcean

Arcane
Make one question how they did that. It clearly was not an easy game back then and perhaps not even easy to make it now, in the exactly same way.
It reminds me that Faery Tale Adventure was created by David Joiner in 7 months in 1986, on a new type of computer that he'd only had a few months prior experience with. Frankly, I think the programmers, designers, and artists who created classic RPGs were, in general, far more competent than the people currently working in the CRPG industry. :M
Guess there weren't standards and easy engines to create bad habits back then, so the programmers, designers and artists had to do things the hard way and hardship made them better. Easiness generates lazyness, actually, this was one of the big problems of kickstarter, when you are burning your own money, you sure are hell motivated to be as efficient as possible not so much when you are burning other people money.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Frankly, I think the programmers,

We actually had to know how to code back then. There was no internet to cut and paste from as the kids do today.

You had to learn machine language (assembler) if you didn't want your code going horribly slow.

All those old 6502 based machines only had BASIC.

Zep--

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I swear you people are worse than that arizonian trans contrarian edgelorrd razorfist. Atleast he owns the game and dont talk things out of his ass. He is just fanboy in denial. He owns the game while kikeitron and rest of sceptics dont....

I swear you people are worse than that arizonian trans contrarian edgelorrd razorfist. Atleast he owns the game and dont talk things out of his ass. He is just fanboy in denial. He owns the game while kikeitron and rest of sceptics dont....
The man barely plays a couple hours of most games. Including the ones he reviews.

The Bishop

Cipher
Guess there weren't standards and easy engines to create bad habits back then, so the programmers, designers and artists had to do things the hard way and hardship made them better. Easiness generates lazyness, actually, this was one of the big problems of kickstarter, when you are burning your own money, you sure are hell motivated to be as efficient as possible not so much when you are burning other people money.
I keep hearing about laziness in connection with game devs, and it's just so very wrong to attribute laziness to people who are expected to work longer hours for less pay and routinely go through "crunch" periods to get their products to completion only to then be sacked right after. You can call them anything, and some of it will probably even be deserved, but lazy is not it.

These people aren't exceptionally incompetent, or lazy, or flawed in any other particularly significant way. They are just same normal imperfect people like everybody else. The difference however is that it used to be different. In the past, when computer games were only becoming a thing, it was a very novel and exciting field to work in. It was truly uncharted land of unlimited possibilities and many exceptionally talented individuals rushed in to explore it. We are spoiled by products of labor of those exceptional individuals, expecting that everything in video games should forever be able to uphold the same exceptional standard. But this is not a realistic expectation. Video games are not that exciting of a field anymore, and naturally the talented people will gravitate towards different opportunities more often these days.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If it looks like shit, smell like shit, are you going to taste it to be sure?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom