Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Max Heap

Arcane
I don't know what's more worrying:
The fact that this is just a month from release or that people don't seem to give a shit.
I really wish SteamSpy was still public. I'd be really interested to see how this game does sales-wise.

As for the gameplay, I'm not "offended" by it. I have given up on the idea that this has anything to do with Underworld, so it's "okayish".
But they still have some work to do. From what I heard it seems like factions are really just present in spirit. Not that they can change that at this point.

Five bucks on a Deep Elves/Shambler city hub DLC

Nyast

Cipher
Playing a bit of the beta today. Wish me luck. Will report on how much of a trainwreck this is in a few hours.

Nyast

Cipher
So far it is day and night compared to BT4. The winner being BT4 of course.

I cannot believe the state the game is in, a month prior to release. The list of stuff that is wrong is so long that I cannot see how they'd fix even a quarter of them by the release. And I'm not talking of design decisions, but pure technical stuff, jankiness and overall lack of polish.

Codex Year of the Donut
HEY YOU!

REMEMBER THAT GAME YOU LIKED AS A KID?!
WELL WE MADE A POOR BUGGY "SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR" OF IT TO CASH IN ON YOUR NOSTALGIA!

The last few years have been so tiring.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So far it is day and night compared to BT4. The winner being BT4 of course.

I cannot believe the state the game is in, a month prior to release. The list of stuff that is wrong is so long that I cannot see how they'd fix even a quarter of them by the release. And I'm not talking of design decisions, but pure technical stuff, jankiness and overall lack of polish.
so BT4 is already a mess and this is even messier?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I'm giving up on this build. I keep getting BSoDs about 5 minutes after I get the rune bag, seemingly out of nowhere. I've tried updating my drivers, but it didn't help any.
What I've played hasn't been fun. The character controller is very unwieldy and jumping on top of things is a trial in itself. The physics feel jankier than Skyrim's.

Nyast

Cipher
Here's the feedback I posted on their forums. Yeah, BT4 ( when it was in ALPHA ) was in a x10 better state than this game is a MONTH AWAY FROM RELEASE.

Allright, my turn after 3 hours of playing.

First of all, I have criticized the game for various design decisions I do not agree with. Teleporters being on the top of my list. Not being a true Ultima Underworld is the same.

I'll put all of that aside and speak purely on technical terms, what state the game is in, a month prior to its release.

It is a fudgeing disaster. There is NO WAY everything will be fixed by the release. No way in hell. This isn't even being at alpha level in terms of polish / robustness.

Let's see:

1. This is the elephant in the room: junkiness. Collisions are unsmooth and you'll get stuck into absolutely everything; Forget about enemies, rooms and corridors are your main enemies in this game. Absolutely everything was made to cause frustration and glitch your movements. The only case where it's behaving okay is when you're walking in a huge, perfectly flat room. Otherwise, everything WILL get in your way and cause random movements you did not task. The worst being stairs ( even very small one, with one step ) which will frequently force you to jump around to pass.

Is this real ? it's like nothing has changed since the alpha backer 3 months ago..

As before, physical objects seem extremely fragile or have incorrect weight. Worse, I've often seen objects floating above other objects. Example: a barrel floating 30 cm in the air, above another barrel. Same for smaller items like candles, on top of a table. You've probably made your physics engine too relaxed on the condition of disabling bodies from the physics sim when they're at rest.

2. Rendering issues. The list is enormous. Absolutely everything is glitching. Frustum culling issues ( with walls disappearing in the corner of your screen ). Popping of colors on materials ( like some stone wall assets have colored stones ? they'll often switch back to a neutral color ). Holes between assets showing the hollow part of the level (it's litterally everywhere if you look carefully). Assets not properly joined together, causing heavy Z-fighting. Look at Marcaul ground stones. Again, I'm not judging design decisions like the cartoon look which I hate. Just on pure technical terms, you cannot walk 2 meters without seeing something that reminds you it's a game, with technical issues.

So much for immersion.

3. Audio issues. NPCs all talking at the same time. And often with some loud ambient noises/background. Worse in Marcaul, where I often did not understand what was said. Some NPCs will sometimes speak in French (my locale), ignoring that I've set the game to English in the menu. Most often they do speak english though. No sub-titles, at least not most of the time.. it's all over the place. A big mess.

On a bright note, on pure technical terms the audio quality seems to be top notch.

4. Immersion

All these tutorial stones / graffitis conventiently placed on your path kill immersion and remind you that you're in a video game at every step.

If you're making a physics-based simulation, rules better be coherent. Like, if something is made out of wood, it should be burnable. I've encountered multiple wood walls made of planks ( like in the first room of Upper Erebus ) that did not take fire, no matter how close I had a burning box. Maybe it was a bug, but more likely, you've flagged some wooden assets as "unburnable". Big no-no.

5. AI / NPCs

AI sucks. Not much to say about it, cause it'll often glitch and ignore you, even when you're a meter away.

Undead archers are deadly accurate, even when you run around them quickly. Shouldn't they miss more when somebody is close and moving quickly ?

Some undeads did not have heads. Seemed like a bug, like they had a hole up their shoulders.

Floating lizards in Marcaul look.. stupid. Like a console kid game. There are no interactive dialogues, NPCs just say a voiced line or two when you get close to them and that's it.

THE POSITIVE

The runes system was one of the few things that was more or less preserved from the original Ultima Underworld. That's an excellent thing, cause it rocks. Finding new runes scattered all over the place is a hook. Finding new spell combinations is cool and fun. The UI for the spellbook needs work, visually.

There are hints of bright level design here and there. The entrance to Marcaul is by far the most visually interesting and well designed part of the game I've seen so far. I was impressed by it.

MISC

- there's some delay when entering a portal ( I guess while it's fading out ) where you've walk past the portal. Looks weird.
- auto mapping needs major adjustments. Even walking face to wall, it often does not properly fill the wall lines on the map. The range it fills is all over the place. Sometimes you're walking in a corridor or a room and when you open the auto map, it hasn't filled anything that's clearly visible in front of you, a few meters away..
- some spells are often duplicated on the spellbook, especially when you click on an already-memorize formula
- I haven't seen any way to remove a memorize formula in the spellbook. Please add a remove function
- some rune icons do not seem to match between the "big icon" ( the one displayed on the spellbook wheel ) and the "small icon" ( the one used in UI, or on graffitis on walls ). I got my healing spell wrong due to not recognizing the right rune ( despite having the good formula ! ). Was frustrating.
- UI needs to show items stats, like how effective an armor is or weapons damage. Being able to quickly compare two items is a 2018 expected feature. Overall the UI is in a very very rough state.
- some graffitis do not seem to mean anything, I just see a bunch of squares ( nothing readable ) on various walls ?
- my spellbook formulas seem to have reset after I reached Marcaul for the first time ? the spellbook suddenly became empty..
- throwing axes seemed bugged visually, and did not seem to do any damage to undeads
- sometimes chests open up into walls ( half the chest is behind the wall ). Some items spawn in vertical position and would have been too tall to fit into the chest as is ( ex.: a chest spawns a leather armor which is twice as tall as the chest's height ).
- sometimes interacting with objects ( like chests ) is glitchy. The "interaction" visual effect does not appear even when the object is right in front of you. I've seen a chest, forgot where, where you had to be very precise and aim at a specific few-pixels location in order to open the chest, despite the chest being huge on screen.
- ruins of Gwern seems to have major framerate issues ( I did not go further in the beta, because of it ). Like 10 fps on a 1070 GTX + i7 6700K + 32GB ram
- the entire UI needs to be improved. At the moment it looks like it was made by a 12 years old kid in Paint. Also, please give different icons to different items. A rusty dagger, a short sowrd and a long sword should not all have the same "sword" icon.

Mortmal

Arcane
Once more pc devs are sending us a message, dont back our games on kickstarter, dont buy anything at release at full price wait for steam massive discount or for one euro on humble store.

Mortmal

Arcane
100 hours one BSOD every 5 minutes at a time, a suitable punishment after shroud of the avatar for the dead tax collector in rpg hell.

Nyast

Cipher
Oh, I forgot to mention that but.. if you hated BT4 because you couldn't save any time anywhere.. well I have bad news for you :)

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Oh, I forgot to mention that but.. if you hated BT4 because you couldn't save any time anywhere.. well I have bad news for you :)

I don't have much of a problem with save points as long as I can save & quit whenever I want.
Does that work?

Nyast

Cipher
You can save & quit whenever you want in Marcaul, the main city hub. But 90% of the game will be in other levels of the dungeon. You can't save anywhere, but there's an auto-save ( unsure how frequent it'll save ) and you can plant a tree seed, so when you die you restart where you planted the seed. When you do that, it does not save to disk, so you're ou to luck if you have to quit the game.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
You can save & quit whenever you want in Marcaul, the main city hub. But 90% of the game will be in other levels of the dungeon. You can't save anywhere, but there's an auto-save ( unsure how frequent it'll save ) and you can plant a tree seed, so when you die you restart where you planted the seed. When you do that, it does not save to disk, so you're ou to luck if you have to quit the game.
Or if it crashes..

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
They're working on that, though they haven't been very detailed about their plans:

Save System – This is currently undergoing work. Note that the Silver Sapling acts as a RESPAWN point within a level and not a SAVE POINT.

Azazel

Arbiter
The saddest part of this saga is the very obvious form of Garret perched in that poster, as a final reminder that lightning really can't be captured and the legacy of Looking Glass is dead even with those who built it.

What a time to be alive.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
There is NO WAY everything will be fixed by the release. No way in hell.

You can't win if you don't play.

Spin the wheel Hollowborn! :lol:

singapore_wheel_of_fortune_by_wheelgenius-d2xmb9v.jpg

Last edited:

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I recorded the first hour of the game, and while that served to give a taste of what, say, BT4 was like, in this game it meant nothing vaguely related to combat until the last 15 minutes of the video. I've never felt so bored in a "tutorial" that could have been maybe a couple of rooms where you could experiment with things, instead of having a bunch of Half Life 2 reject physics puzzles. Everything related to physics in this game feels like you are running some debug option. Throwing a water bottle means that if you are not careful, it will hit the ceiling and break before you let go of the mouse. Pulling a lever half of the times requires you to physically turn around. Hilarious considering walking simulators from 10 years ago had already solved this. Penumbra came out in 2007. Let me just pull the fucking lever.

Max Heap

Arcane
Technical details can be fixed (to some extent), but this impression sounds fucking brutal.

I've played some more and I'm just not finding it fun. I made it to Marcaul, which feels pointlessly large. It took a long time to walk to the "mission board" and back to the portals. I'm not sure why these needed to be so far apart. it also seems to have a number of flickering textures. The lizardmen, especially the floating ones, look really silly. I hate how they have these huge mouths which aren't animated while they're speaking. Aelita's voice volume seemed to change at random (sounded a bit like two different actresses, actually). I tried trading with her, but couldn't get anything to happen when I clicked on the "Trade" button.

So far all I've done is shoot skeletons with a bow, open an occasional treasure chest, or hit skeletons with a sword. Are the skeletons the only enemy in the game? Because it sure feels that way.

Cabirus keeps imploring me to "be creative" but I have no idea what that even means. I'm bored and have little desire to keep playing. At the end of one section, I was lauded for remaining undetected, which was nonsensical because I had been in fights with several skeletons. The traps and obstacles I've seen so far could be avoided by simply running or jumping.

The coolest part so far was using a flaming box to burn through a wooden floor, but it seemed pretty obvious that was what I was supposed to do, because it would be a dead end otherwise. Also at this point, the FPS dropped from the usual 60 to around 15-20.

To me it seems, this is pretty much what the average steam review will look like.
No complaints that it isn't Underworld. No complaints about the cartoonish style.
For the average audience those are non-issues. What is an issue though, is the lack of entertainment.

Game journalists and the avantgarde of game design can go on about "fun" being a buzzword all they want, but if the audience isn't entertained, your project is dead. Period.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom