Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underworld Sequel

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Gakkone

But will it be possible to play without a mouse? I actually preferred using the keyboard in the first game.

Yes, the keyboard shortcuts will still be there and you can still disable the cursor. There will be an option to have hotkeys listed on the screen for easy reference. Currently mousing over an icon makes the icon function appear with the hotkey in parenthesis. (If you mouse over the helmet, you see (C)haracters appear above the icons).

I've learned to expect bitching from the Codex no matter what ;)

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Can't wait for it be on sale for half price so I can pick it up like your last game!

Guess I'll have a starting price at $50 then, thanks for the heads up :D

Excommunicator Seriously? I only have basic lighting for dark places at this stage. I don't expect to be able to do better than that I'm afraid.

Scrooge thanks!

The point I was making was you should have a go at painting the lighting and shadows onto the world textures. That's what most of the old games did. With such simple flat-map terrain it will be very easy to simulate the appearance of proper shadows without much extra time invested

It's really the only reason why Grimrock got the sales it did.

Achilles

Arcane
Love the full-screen view Charles, great job! Now if you could optimize the engine so that it runs at full speed on my netbook, that would be great :D

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Can't wait to hear about character development. M&M tribute or not, that's one area I'd like to see improved over the previous game.

The character creation post has been delayed a bit (lots of little things to settle like cross-requirements, descriptions...) but I uploaded a new GUI with... portraits! And a new town environment. It's a lot more popamole. :)

The character update will be up in a week or two now.

Sovereign_gui_0213.png

For those that like to comment on the dev blog (always appreciated) the entry is here.

Looks amazing! Love love love the new portraits! Any chance whoever buys your game gets the portrait pack to use as forum avatars? :D

I have a question: What changes are you making to combat? Any chance spells at least could be animated? With the sales of your Gold game, hiring an animator that is also an artist should not be too hard right?

Also, any new classes?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Mother Russia

Even if I don't specifically zip and bundle avatar portraits it isn't too hard to copy / crop / paste ;)

Combat changes because there are new skills, more spells and new classes. I'm considering other changes but will refrain from discussing them until I've thought it through enough.

Animating 200 monsters is way too expensive. Adding various effects is a possibility but also a low priority, something I'll think about late in the dev cycle. As of now I haven't discussed it with the artist yet. I have to finalize the various events that would need such effects to have a better idea how many would be needed and estimate the added value.

2 new classes: druid and hunter (actually ritualist and woodsman, with class name changes as the character progresses).

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Mother Russia

Even if I don't specifically zip and bundle avatar portraits it isn't too hard to copy / crop / paste ;)

Combat changes because there are new skills, more spells and new classes. I'm considering other changes but will refrain from discussing them until I've thought it through enough.

Animating 200 monsters is way too expensive. Adding various effects is a possibility but also a low priority, something I'll think about late in the dev cycle. As of now I haven't discussed it with the artist yet. I have to finalize the various events that would need such effects to have a better idea how many would be needed and estimate the added value.

2 new classes: druid and hunter (actually ritualist and woodsman, with class name changes as the character progresses).

Cool. I take it then if someone buys your game they have your permission to use the portraits as avatars, right? If so :bro:

Also, I did not mean animate the monsters, but have animated spell effects. Kind of like how Jeff Vogel did it in the Exile and Avernum games.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Mother Russia That's what i figured but since you wrote "at least" I figured i'd answer both spell and mob animations.

I don't see why I wouldn't allow use as avatars - if anything it can be publicity if people start asking where they come from :D

For effects to recap I don't have a definitive answer yet. There's still a lot of work before i reach the stage where I'll be considering that seriously.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
A general work in progress screens update, featuring character creation, inventory and a character stats overview.

http://www.olderbytes.com/some-works-in-progress.html

character_creation.png

The character creation screen above shows one of several steps involved in creating a character: choosing the character portrait. The first few steps involve choosing a class, a race and a gender. these three are listed at the top left. The chosen portrait will be there as well as the character’s name. With these choices made, you get to distribute five aptitude points. These can either go in attributes, resistances, skills or craft. The first decision you will be confronted to is whether to concentrate on attributes or whether to include skills or crafts for a better rounded character.

- Hovering over a choice makes a description appear, which includes (or will include) requirements.
- Some skills require other skills and cannot exceed their value. Swords, for example, require proficiency in pugilism. If your character has a score of 3 in pugilism, sword proficiency cannot exceed 3. Other skills require and cannot exceed one or several attributes. Pugilism cannot exceed strength, accuracy and dexterity divided by three and rounded down.
- The same goes for crafts (they can have either attribute or skill requirements, or both). Crafts are optional and choosing to learn or improve one instead of adding that point to an attribute or skill typically makes a less proficient combattant. But it is a big world awaiting you and not everything will be about winning battles.
- Skills marked with an @ are active skills. These add options in battle whereas passive skills unlock other things. Two Handed for example is a passive skill that allows the character to wield two handed weapons, given he/she has the skill to wield the one-handed variety. Even if the two-handed score is higher than the weapon skill that corresponds to the weapon the character has equipped, the score that will be taken into consideration will be the lowest of the two. @Stealth, on the other hand, is an active skill that gives the character the ability to “become unseen”, which in turn allows the use of other skills. While rogues start with good knowledge of Stealth and associated manoeuvers (without need to spend aptitude points), any character can learn to do the same if you choose to have them do so. There will, however be a limit to the number of skills and crafts a charactercan learn.

inventory.png

Character inventory is divided into three important parts. The first column on the left is the list of equip slots. Each one corresponds to a specific part of the body. (I) and (J) are respectively the right and left hand.

- When you hover over an item, wherever it is, the corresponding slot in the equip list turns blue. Likewise, the corresponding part of the paper doll on the right turns blue. There will also be a definition of the item at the bottom right part of the screen (not implemented yet) and a list of comparisons on the bottom left. The screenshot shows that when you have a short sword equipped and you hover over a walking stick, choosing to swap these items will result in a gain of -6 damage (shown in red when negative, white otherwise). There will be other comparisons but as of now damage is the only one implemented.

- The second list in the middle is the character’s backpack. All slots there can be used by any item.

- The third part is the character inventory. It is itself made up of a list of 8-26 slots (depending on the type of container) and 5 container slots. When one of the slots is used by an available container a small chest replaces the empty white square. In the screenshot above, the highlighted container slot is a simple cloth bag with only 8 slots. With five 26 item containers, the party can potentially store 130 items in addition to those characters have equipped or in their personal packs.

Note: right clicking on an equipped item removes it and adds it to the character pack. Left clicking on an item selects it. Once an item is selected, clicking on a destination slot causes the item to be moved there. You can also click on a portrait and the item will be stored in his/her backpack.

character_stats.png

The above is the character’s statistic screen. It is read only and gives a quick overview of the character’s attributes and known skills or crafts.

The icons on the bottom left of the status screens allow navigation between these. They respectively give you access to inventory, stats, skills and crafts (where available attribute points can be alloted to learn new skills/crafts or improve known ones), factions (for consultation) and exit.

Spells, crafts and magic will be accessible for use via another option in the main GUI.

There’s still a lot of work to do, but it is getting there slowly but surely...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Cool. My only gripe is that I would not use text in italic for the interface.

Readable and clear.
Less readable and clear.

I think it looks better esthetically too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:yeah:

This is looking SO fucking sweet Charles! Is this the same artist or a new one? I also really like the new portraits too. <3 (ESPECIALLY the one you are using). :oops:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
:yeah:

This is looking SO fucking sweet Charles! Is this the same artist or a new one? I also really like the new portraits too. <3 (ESPECIALLY the one you are using). :oops:

Someone asked if I'd make the portraits available to use as avatars, which I said I would (can't do much to prevent it even if I wanted to). I did pick the best one didn't I? :) Actually I hesitated with the lack chick. The one called Solen rae in the previous screenshot. So if you wanna use mine just ask & I'll switch ;)

EDIT: Yes, still the same artist. But I know he occasionally gets help. He did on the new icons for example.

Cool. My only gripe is that I would not use text in italic for the interface.

Readable and clear.
Less readable and clear.

I think it looks better esthetically too.

One of those things I changed time and again on Underworld. Font and italics. I stopped when I didn't hear any new complaints. First one in a long time :(

EDIT - true though that the text is smaller in sovereign. That might call for some changes...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Personally I only use italics for "notes" and .. I don't know... disclaimers and shit?

Anyway, at least you're not using comic sans.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
One question about gameplay. Can you romance Natalie Portman, Devon Aoki and Zoe Saldana ?

:troll:

How about Arnie ?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
ghostdog I'm still negociating with Natalie. I'm hoping she doesn't realize some courters might be codexers. If she does then sorry, no way

:troll:

Update? Everything still going swell? Still no evil publisher in the mix?

I've been told they'd like to be but I never pick up my phone. Too many telemarketers.

I'm working on Sovereign and a strategy title. It'll be a little while before an update which will probably be a teaser video, shortly followed by a demo. While I do plan ahead, I never really follow the plan so announcing dates is still pointless at this stage. Although I did say I was aiming for a Q1 release, which I still am.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck Yeah! Can't wait for it to be released so I can get it during a 50% off sale! ;)

Just kidding Charles, unless I'm in the gutter I should be able to afford to reward you correctly :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom