Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity on Linux is such a worthless piece of crap

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen something so awful being released as an "acceptable" build. Sure, it says Experimental right out of the box, but it's hard to experiment with something that requires a walkthrough to be properly installed. First of all, there is no FTP server, and downloading it through HTTP on their server is a nightmare because there's a great chance it will just stop.
You can download it via wget forcing it to overwrite and redownload when the connection drops, but that's still dumb. Haven't they heard about torrent?

And then, after a relatively less messy installation, you get to "use" it. But you can't import projects from other Unity builds. It just crashes when you try opening the folder. Also, you can't set it to open your default scene and there is no "Save", only "Save As..." when dealing with the scenes. Also, half of the Unity Essentials on the Asset Store doesn't work, "Build and Run" is broken and it never shows where it's downloading the shit it gets from the Asset Store. You also somehow have the option of rendering in DX11 on the Linux build, which, guess what, DOES NOT WORK.

I really wish there was a good robust and easy engine to work with on Linux. Something that focuses less on programming and more on game design. Not even RPG Maker exists for it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
hn26luS.jpg

Leshy

Educated
Try UE4. It has much, much better Linux support. The editor can crash on occasion (as if it doesn't do that normally :D) but is quite stable and most features are working. The only trick that I know of is that you need to build the whole thing yourself. However that is far from complicated, and if you're serious you'd be doing that anyway ;)

Alchemist

Arcane
I really wish there was a good robust and easy engine to work with on Linux. Something that focuses less on programming and more on game design.

http://www.godotengine.org/download
Yup Godot is pretty much aimed directly at the Linux / Open Source / Free software crowd. And it's awesome.

Though there's one caveat - if he wants to avoid programming, it doesn't have any kind of drag and drop or visual programming functionality yet. To make a game with it definitely requires some coding at the moment. The Gdscript language is pretty easy to get a handle on though, it's similar to Python.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
https://twitter.com/romero/status/832247565991161856?lang=en
edit: not sure if corona works for the linux. but who doesn't like SDL? SFML wasn't too bad the time's i used it either.

also: allegro makes things pretty easy if you want to do simple stuff

as for 3d, I have no idea these days. it's a bit relative at this point. You'll want to hunt down engines that have lots of templates and lots of finished examples for many types of games.
With lots of good copy and paste you might get around having to do much programming.

You really have only two options if you rather design a game and test it with no sacrifice:

1) imagination, paper, logical rules
2) build tools that do not require programming after they are made, then you can focus on design.

You may want to consider what you wish to test.
Twine is probably sufficient for most story writing needs. If your game can be reduced to a story of choices made, might consider that.
The rules of your universe can be expressed in the story.

If you want something more visual, I think there are simple dating sim engines you could use. Sure it involves programming but not that damn much.
I also refuse to believe there aren't already visual card games that let you design any rules you want behind the cards.

if you want point and click, or wasd walking, if you need destruction and targets that move around which you can hit:
Try making a side scroller. They are very simple and you could build most the engine in a day almost by scratch.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom