Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games

spekkio

Arcane
Both are linked at the 1st page. Kinda. :roll:
I know that for some people 3-4 downloads are more convinient than a cd, but...

CDs images 4 lyfe ;)

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
The latest version of dgVoodoo2 let's me play Take No Prisoners and MageSlayer in glorious 800x600 Direct3D mode on Windows 7x64 without rainbow colours or any other nonsense.

How to install and play Take No Prisoners on W7x64:

Mount/insert TNP iso/cd-rom
Look for IS_SETUP.exe in the Setup folder and install the game (it's possible you'll have to install the InstallShield wrapper first)
Download dgVoodoo 2, open the MS folder and copy paste both files (DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll) to your main TNP folder
Now copy dgVoodooSetup to your main TNP folder
Run dgVoodooSetup, check aspect ratio and tweak the other settings to your liking, you can also disable the dgvoodoo watermark.
Execute tnp.exe and ignore the 256 color warning.

MageSlayer:

Works great too but don't forget to patch the game.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
I wasn't aware it's still being developed. Best glide wripper till nglide.
Out of curiosity, did you try how these game work using nglide?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Yeah they're both very good.

TNP and MS are software and Direct 3D 5 only, nGlide translates glide to Direct3D but AFAIK it cannot emulate old versions of Direct 3D like dgVoodoo.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Oh yeah, in the past dgvoodo was useful also for vesa emulation (Archimedean Dynasty, System Shock 1).

Im3jmtq.jpg

e3WbOKv.jpg

southpark_nice.png

I will add links to both of these programs next time I update the OP. I've totally forgotten about glide wrappers.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Is there a patch to make Silent Storm run at modern resolutions? Sentinels works fine, but the original doesn't.

spekkio

Arcane
Thread is dead, Jim. Let it go.
Mods un-stickied it, well-knowing that Dexers don't give a fuck about old games.
Everything they care about are newshit popamole and twitter drama. And trannies.

:smug:

spekkio

Arcane
OP has been declined. :obviously:

Changelog:

+ Malba Tahan's Shlink (System Shock 1),
- SS1 Portable (System Shock 1),
+ sh2proxy (Silent Hill 2),
+ Community Edition & Map pack (Xenonauts),
+ Style Switcher (DMC3),
+ Scellpt D3D8 & Aiming fixes (SC - Pandora Tomorrow),
+ FPS Fix (RE1 HD Remaster),
+ Gallian Crossfire rebalancing mod (Valkyria Chronicles),

+ Mouse Acceleration Fix (Astral Rag),
+ Battlezone 2 patch (gondor),
+ Diablo - Hellfire (gondor),
+ Mac-enstein 3D (Astral Rag),
+ Silver fixes (gondor),
+ City of Lost Children (Astral Rag),
+ MiG Alley & Rowan's Battle of Britain (gondor),
+ Neverhood Restoration Project (agentoranje),
+ NF3 patch (iZerw),
+ InstallShield Wrapper & other thingies (Astral Rag),
+ nGlide & dgVoodoo2 (Astral Rag),
+ AoE 2 - The Conquerors (gondor),
+ Crimson Skies patch (Astral Rag),
+ New v1001 Wesp's VTMB Patch (Abhay),
+ fixes for Warhammer Win9x games (Gragt),
+ Jade Empire In Style mod (???).

Also, somebody please ban gondor. :cry:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Seems like our laments have not been in vain after all, the real best thread evar will now no longer get lost in the sea of popamole

:incline:

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
^
Damage control from the staff. :roll:
This way newfags will think we're less popamole than we really are.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Dungeon Keeper 2

-Install the game and update it to v1.7.

-Apply the regedit tweak to enable 1920x1080 or any resolution you want:

- Browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bullfrog Productions Ltd\Dungeon Keeper II\Configuration\Video"
- Make sure the "base" is set to "decimal"
- Change "Screen Height" key to your screen height
- Change "Screen Width" key to your screen width
- Exit

For GOG "version" (haven't tried this myself): browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bullfrog Productions Ltd\Dungeon Keeper II\ and then right click on the "Dungeon Keeper II" key on the left side of the screen and click New -> Key. Title the new key "Configuration" and then right click on the new "Configuration" key (which should now be a subfolder in Dungeon Keeper II) and click New -> Key and title the new key "Video" (which should now be a subfolder in "Configuration".

Now, while in Configuration\Video, right click on the empty space on the right side of the registry editor and click New -> String Value. Title the new string "Screen Height", and then do the same for "Screen Width". You can then double click each of these and add your custom settings.

The only downsides of using HD resolutions are some very minor UI anomalies and the fact some of the menu texts may become invisible, fortunately the menu icons should still be visible so this shouldn't be a problem, mission briefings etc display just fine.

-Use Ultimate Zoom: backup your dk2.exe and use this tweaked .exe instead.

mqz9D8H.jpg

-Enhance your Dungeon Keeper 2 Shortcut in order to get the best stability and the best grafixx:

Right click the DK2 shortcut, select Service Pack 3 Compatibility and add the following to the Target box:

-enablebumpmapping -enablebumpluminance -32biteverything -highrestextures

(e.g. "c:\games\Dungeon Keeper II\DKII.exe" -enablebumpmapping -enablebumpluminance -32biteverything -highrestextures)

If you dislike the "Matrox" water and lava you can remove -enablebumpmapping -enablebumpluminance.

-DK2 can also be played with this WIP version of dgVoodoo.

Some more commands:
-enablefilepatching : Allows to use the extracted WAD files instead of the compressed ones
-logoos : Enables logging of Out of sync (?)
-pmesh X : Defines "PMesh Reduction Level"
-nochecksum : Disables CheckSum
-cheat : ?
-preloadresources : Preloads Resources (?)
-nomovies : Disables the movies
-shadows X : Defines "Shadow Level"
-noshadows : Disables the shadows
-cdpath X : Defines the CD path (?)
-language X : Defines the language (?)
-enableartpatching : Allows to use the extracted WAD files instead of the compressed ones
-texturereductionlevel X : Defines "Texture Reduction Level"
-enablebumpluminance : Enables BumpLuminance
-enablebumpmapping : Enables BumpMapping
-cheaplighting X : Defines "Cheap Lighting" (1 = Yes, 0 = No)
-lowrestextures : Defines "High Res Textures" to 0
-highrestextures : Defines "High Res Textures" to 1
-disablegamma : Corrects screen tinting and colour corruption caused by the mouse cursor
-eheap X : Defines Engine Heap Size in Mb
-nofilechecksum : Disables File CheckSum
-fe : Defines 2D FrontEnd (I tried and the screen stayed black so, beware!) (?)
-fe3d : Defines 3D FrontEnd (?)
-softwarefilter : Enables Software Filter (Bilinear Filtering)
-32biteverything : Enables 32Bit Textures, ZBuffer and Display
-32bittextures : Enables 32Bit Textures
-32bitzbuffer : Enables 32Bit ZBuffer (32bit ZBuffer instead of 16bit ZBuffer)
-32bitdisplay : Enables 32Bit Display (32bit colours instead of 16bit)
-nointmouse : Disables frame-rate independant mouse pointer
-nospeech : Disables speeches
-nomusic : Disables music
-noerrors : Disables errors? (Yay, no crashes anymore! )
-spec X : ?
-nofps : Disables Frames Per Second (?)
-fps : Enables Frames Per Second (?)
-sound : Enables sound
-nosound : Disables sound
-ploaddemokey : ?
-pnocamera : ?
-pnumber X : ?
-pquit X : ?
-psave X : Record a packet where X is the name of the file (must be use with -LEVEL command below)
-pload X : Load a packet where X is the name of the file (must be use with -LEVEL command below)
-choosecard : Sets Dungeon Keeper 2 to run using your default video card
-software : Disables Hardware Acceleration
-engine : ?
-ddd X : ?
-pd : ?
-q : Combined with the -LEVEL command below, plays in Campaign mode
-level X : Plays a level (where X is the level name)

-Optional: force AA and AF in the Nvidia control panel

-Use GameRanger to play online.

Last edited:

gondor

Learned
Dungeon Keeper 2

-Install the game and update it to v1.7.

-Apply the regedit tweak to enable 1920x1080 or any resolution you want:

- Browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bullfrog Productions Ltd\Dungeon Keeper II\Configuration\Video"
- Make sure the "base" is set to "decimal"
- Change "Screen Height" key to your screen height
- Change "Screen Width" key to your screen width
- Exit

For GOG "version" (haven't tried this myself): browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bullfrog Productions Ltd\Dungeon Keeper II\ and then right click on the "Dungeon Keeper II" key on the left side of the screen and click New -> Key. Title the new key "Configuration" and then right click on the new "Configuration" key (which should now be a subfolder in Dungeon Keeper II) and click New -> Key and title the new key "Video" (which should now be a subfolder in "Configuration".

Now, while in Configuration\Video, right click on the empty space on the right side of the registry editor and click New -> String Value. Title the new string "Screen Height", and then do the same for "Screen Width". You can then double click each of these and add your custom settings.

The only downsides of using HD resolutions are some very minor UI anomalies and the fact some of the menu texts may become invisible, fortunately the menu icons should still be visible so this shouldn't be a problem, mission briefings etc display just fine.

-Use Ultimate Zoom: backup your dk2.exe and use this tweaked .exe instead.

mqz9D8H.jpg

-Enhance your Dungeon Keeper 2 Shortcut in order to get the best stability and the best grafixx:

Right click the DK2 shortcut, select Service Pack 3 Compatibility and add the following to the Target box:

-enablebumpmapping -enablebumpluminance -32biteverything -highrestextures

(e.g. "c:\games\Dungeon Keeper II\DKII.exe" -enablebumpmapping -enablebumpluminance -32biteverything -highrestextures)

If you dislike the "Matrox" water and lava you can remove -enablebumpmapping -enablebumpluminance.

-DK2 can also be played with this WIP version of dgVoodoo.

Some more commands:
-enablefilepatching : Allows to use the extracted WAD files instead of the compressed ones
-logoos : Enables logging of Out of sync (?)
-pmesh X : Defines "PMesh Reduction Level"
-nochecksum : Disables CheckSum
-cheat : ?
-preloadresources : Preloads Resources (?)
-nomovies : Disables the movies
-shadows X : Defines "Shadow Level"
-noshadows : Disables the shadows
-cdpath X : Defines the CD path (?)
-language X : Defines the language (?)
-enableartpatching : Allows to use the extracted WAD files instead of the compressed ones
-texturereductionlevel X : Defines "Texture Reduction Level"
-enablebumpluminance : Enables BumpLuminance
-enablebumpmapping : Enables BumpMapping
-cheaplighting X : Defines "Cheap Lighting" (1 = Yes, 0 = No)
-lowrestextures : Defines "High Res Textures" to 0
-highrestextures : Defines "High Res Textures" to 1
-disablegamma : Corrects screen tinting and colour corruption caused by the mouse cursor
-eheap X : Defines Engine Heap Size in Mb
-nofilechecksum : Disables File CheckSum
-fe : Defines 2D FrontEnd (I tried and the screen stayed black so, beware!) (?)
-fe3d : Defines 3D FrontEnd (?)
-softwarefilter : Enables Software Filter (Bilinear Filtering)
-32biteverything : Enables 32Bit Textures, ZBuffer and Display
-32bittextures : Enables 32Bit Textures
-32bitzbuffer : Enables 32Bit ZBuffer (32bit ZBuffer instead of 16bit ZBuffer)
-32bitdisplay : Enables 32Bit Display (32bit colours instead of 16bit)
-nointmouse : Disables frame-rate independant mouse pointer
-nospeech : Disables speeches
-nomusic : Disables music
-noerrors : Disables errors? (Yay, no crashes anymore! )
-spec X : ?
-nofps : Disables Frames Per Second (?)
-fps : Enables Frames Per Second (?)
-sound : Enables sound
-nosound : Disables sound
-ploaddemokey : ?
-pnocamera : ?
-pnumber X : ?
-pquit X : ?
-psave X : Record a packet where X is the name of the file (must be use with -LEVEL command below)
-pload X : Load a packet where X is the name of the file (must be use with -LEVEL command below)
-choosecard : Sets Dungeon Keeper 2 to run using your default video card
-software : Disables Hardware Acceleration
-engine : ?
-ddd X : ?
-pd : ?
-q : Combined with the -LEVEL command below, plays in Campaign mode
-level X : Plays a level (where X is the level name)

-Optional: force AA and AF in the Nvidia control panel

-Use GameRanger to play online.

as small reminder, the version 1.7 is ultimately broken (sadly) https://keeperklan.com/threads/2957...-would-work-best?p=42014&viewfull=1#post42014 (a incomplete fixing try was made here https://keeperklan.com/threads/3417-General-Improvement-Mod-A-New-Unofficial-Patch-for-DK2/page8)

for the zoom level, the configuration bytes were found one year ago https://keeperklan.com/threads/1051...Supreme-Keeper-)?p=46845&viewfull=1#post46845 (no hacked exe required anymore)

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
I beat the campaign and all Pet Dungeons without any issues. Looks like there may be some problems with MP but I don't play online so I don't really care.

Why would I want to spend my time editing that file instead of just replacing one .exe file?

Last edited:

gondor

Learned
I beat the campaign and all Pet Dungeons without any issues. Looks like there may be some problems with MP but I don't play online so I don't really care.

Why would I want to spend my time editing that file instead of just replacing one .exe file?
right, exe or configuration maybe more a matter of taste.

About version 1.7, the core problem is the broken AI. Compare a campaign game with 1.3 vs 1.7, it is significant.

gondor

Learned
Syndicate: Miles sound system update & hd installer fix http://syndicate.lubiki.pl/synd/html/synd_patches.php
Syndicate Wars: Miles sound system update http://syndicate.lubiki.pl/swars/html/swars_patches.php

Syndicate Wars: port for modern OSes (also with game fixes) http://swars.vexillium.org/#download

Elite: Ian Bell, one of the elite developers, blessed (also with code support) the "Elite: The new kind" version, allows running on modern systems http://web.archive.org/web/20150902054507/http://www.elitehomepage.org/thirty/index.htm / https://www.christianpinder.com/games/

(already listed but: Elite First Encounter: many fixes to the original game with the port to modern systems JJFFE https://web.archive.org/web/20110222013121/http://jaj22.org.uk/jjffe/#History (extended version http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/FFE_D3D ) )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom