Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unreal engine 4 newest tech demo

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

2897724-19048530638_2cee3d6dca_o.jpg

Better than life graphics, how many titans x for this? how much vram? 100 gb ?

praetor

Arcane
They showed subsurface scattering on human models in that Desu Ex like demo. No one is gonna see lighting like that ingame for decades...

Same here, static 2 by 2 level, 10 TB texture.

it's already running. fluidly. on a I7-3770 + GTX970 (from the description/forum thread)

J1M

Arcane
The only way this stuff will lead to real improvements is if something akin to open source catches on for standard materials and objects like trees, rocks, and water.

That would be the only thing that could drive down the cost of developing things at this level of fidelity to a point where publishers could allot more than $5 for game design.

praetor

Arcane
They showed subsurface scattering on human models in that Desu Ex like demo. No one is gonna see lighting like that ingame for decades...

it's already running. fluidly. on a I7-3770 + GTX970 (from the description/forum thread)

Without any kind of gameplay or physics.

there's an android of some kind running around (i assume player-controlled) in one or more videos, so there's at least some physics in it. plus, it's still early, it's not done by a whole studio with access to the source but by a single dude in the editor (afaik, maybe i'm wrong. didn't care enough to research :P), i think he even mentioned that he optimized one of the maps (iirc the one from the OP), before it ran ~30fps, now it's ~90fps (again, probably misread or misunderstood something), so there's a loooot of room for improvement, then the new GPUs in 2016 and DX12 so this graphical fidelity could be very realistically done in a PC game next year (just in time to promote the new gpus).

and even if it will be choppy on an I7+GTX970 in a proper game, we need stuff like this, stuff that brings us back to the times of the first Quake, Unreal, Far Cry that made our new top of the line gaming rigs cry in anguish at the highest graphical settings and made us stare in awe at the results on our monitors and laugh at the console peasants with their low res blocky shit and even lower res textures. it's been a looooong time since a game like that. way too long

JustMyOnion

Educated

Without any kind of gameplay or physics.
Gameplay and physics are irrelevant as they run on the CPU which is severely underused nowadays anyway.

JustMyOnion

Educated
It doesn't actually look that impressive considering the CryEngine could do similar stuff years ago. In the end it all depends on the costs, and no dev studio will spend a shitload of manhours for some irrelevant beach.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom