Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Unrest: An Unconventional RPG set in Ancient India

FuelBlooded

Scholar
I have a question. It's my first Kickstarter.
So I backed this campaign but the money is the same in my bank account. Is the sum deducted in the end of the campaign?

groundhog

Educated
FuelBlooded: Yes - the money is taken at the end of the campaign (assuming it's reached its target).

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
This looks pretty interesting. Not entirely sure if I'm going to back it though, at least I've got two days to think about it.

Regardless, the devs deserve praise just for picking an uncommon setting.

daveyd

Savant
Is it Muslim India or the earlier one?
Ideally it will take place when the Mughals only have a presence in the north while the south is still under Hindu control.

I don't think they've been any more specific about the time period than "Ancient" times. We do know that Nagas (and possibly other mythlogocial creatures) are going to be in it, so it's not like they're going for 100% historical accuracy.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This sounds very interesting. Only for the fact that these dudes manage to push the right buttons and promise to deliver a game many of us oldtimer rpg'ers always wanted to see --on some lever at least-- , they deserve 10$.

Indranys

Savant
I still want to play as a super rich Mughal Prince guys. :(
What a disappointment of the year.

daveyd

Savant
I still want to play as a super rich Mughal Prince guys. :(
What a disappointment of the year.

Actually, I believe they said in one of the chapters you will play as a member of the royal family (after their family lost power). So you get to play as the rich prince who had everything and lost it!

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Actually, I believe they said in one of the chapters you will play as a member of the royal family (after their family lost power). So you get to play as the rich prince who had everything and lost it!
Princess actually (Asha)
b5b2aa3ffbe606d7c09dbc6c236fbecd_large.png

sser

Arcane
Developer
I don't mean to be a prick, but some of those character sheets are a little confusing. Is the first character escaping her betrothal or something else? The last bit about the "way" and the legal and the civil took me a few reads to understand.

The second character took me a few reads to understand as well, but I'm still not sure why his "stomach" is sandwiched between the importance of his ideals and faith. Is he slowly dying of hunger? Because of the qualifier used, I'm not sure if his struggles have to do with the kids he's looking after or something else entirely.

The third character's lines are confusing because of the pronoun usage. It's about Shyam, but he seems to only be important because he's friends with Vijay. But the lines go on to talk about Vijay's soldiers. Honestly, I don't even know if that guy is Shyam or Vijay.

Fourth one just has a spelling error, but is otherwise mostly just uninteresting. Hopefully she's a R.R. Martin fan and Game of Thrones' her way back to what belongs to her.

Regardless, that's a really cool setting to be doing a story in. And the artwork -- perhaps by design -- reminds me of Prince of Persia (which just so happens to be the first video game I ever played). Can't go wrong with that.

Indranys

Savant
Ordinary prince or princess won't do man.
Mughal/Mogul is the keyword here.
Mughal Prince is better than other 1001 princes and princesses combined.
This prince is not about one's position on royal family and society, it's about strange exotic things in a strange land, majestic gardens with peacocks, poems, tales, silks, and to built magnificent palaces for your lover as her mausoleum or something.
Sorry mate I just can't explain it.
But the understanding is there in your heart, that or I'm hopelessly romantic. :oops:

daveyd

Savant
I don't mean to be a prick, but some of those character sheets are a little confusing. Is the first character escaping her betrothal or something else? The last bit about the "way" and the legal and the civil took me a few reads to understand.

The second character took me a few reads to understand as well, but I'm still not sure why his "stomach" is sandwiched between the importance of his ideals and faith. Is he slowly dying of hunger? Because of the qualifier used, I'm not sure if his struggles have to do with the kids he's looking after or something else entirely.

The third character's lines are confusing because of the pronoun usage. It's about Shyam, but he seems to only be important because he's friends with Vijay. But the lines go on to talk about Vijay's soldiers. Honestly, I don't even know if that guy is Shyam or Vijay.

Fourth one just has a spelling error, but is otherwise mostly just uninteresting. Hopefully she's a R.R. Martin fan and Game of Thrones' her way back to what belongs to her.

Regardless, that's a really cool setting to be doing a story in. And the artwork -- perhaps by design -- reminds me of Prince of Persia (which just so happens to be the first video game I ever played). Can't go wrong with that.

Hmm, you might be better off asking those questions directly to the lead developer. I could give you my best guess but I might get them wrong. Shoot him an email at Pyrodactyl.com if you're interested.

The kickstarter is over but they are still accepting pre-orders via Paypal for the next couple weeks.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm not excited by that blurb either but I don't see the confusion. The first and second aren't great writing because it's unclear what exactly (1) is fleeing from and (2) is in a conundrum over, but as a vague kind of "peasant needs to escape legal/social constraints" and "priest juggling various principles/needs in time of war" there is no confusion. For the third character, everything said clearly pertains to Shyam as the leader of the guild of mercenaries.

Gozma

Arcane
The writing seems completely fine to me. It comes across as a mannered style rather than stilted.

Johannes

Arcane
Not a fan of the character art, I figured this'd be about Rakshasi, Nagas, monkey people,
etc.,

This artstyle is boring, how will the integrate something like this into that plain art:
The_royal_Vanara_brothers_Sugriwa_and_Subali.jpg
220px-Demon_Yakshagana.jpg

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Those would go well if the focus of the game was combat, but that doesn't seem to be the main focus. It's more about politics and interactions and hence a more realistic style would seem to work. Plus I personally would avoid using religious figures - there are some real fanatics in India who are known to smash stores, movie theaters, etc. if they disagree with your version of religion.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I hate to shoot down ideas and what not. But if someone is expecting $3000 from a kickstarter and then end up with $50000... in my mind that can only end badly. Especially if it's a small team of say university students or something, who just wanted to make a little indie rpg and end up being forced ti attempt something that they will almost certainly fail. Still sounds interesting, I hope whoever is behind this, manages to keep calm and just produce a solid product.

Kukulkan

Learned
Those would go well if the focus of the game was combat, but that doesn't seem to be the main focus. It's more about politics and interactions and hence a more realistic style would seem to work. Plus I personally would avoid using religious figures - there are some real fanatics in India who are known to smash stores, movie theaters, etc. if they disagree with your version of religion.

So? It's not like they'll be aware of this particularly obscure rpg game.

Fockatar

Cipher
You know, I'd love an RPG set in ancient India but this doesn't seem to be the one I've been waiting for. I mean it seems historically...nondescript and silly. Bhagwan and Bhimra as given names in ancient times? You've got zamindariya and stuff too, post Mughal. The whole...look is sort of wrong. It seems like a generic European middle age influenced idea of what ancient India was like. Hence terms like serfs being thrown around.

Then again I'm still waiting for games done well based on Greece, so...maybe the mechanics will make up for it. It would be nice for a well researched, polished, game to be made. But then I'm sure Indian religious fanatics would go fucking mental. Just...nowadays you don't even need to learn Sanskrit since so much stuff is in translation, you can easily get a good feel for the period.

Indranys

Savant
Johannes That big pic you posted is originated from Bali/Java version, not the India one mate.
Subali is called Vali/Bali in Indian sanskrit, and there's no w in Indian sanskrit AFAIK, but Javanese Hanacaraka has it, so in Indian Sugriwa is Sugriva.
They're from Ramayana or something if my memory is right.
Overall Indonesian tales are similar to the Indian ones, but the details are different.
Including the visual interpretations of the characters behind the legends and some of the philosophies too.
The small pic is 100% Indian though.

You know, I'd love an RPG set in ancient India but this doesn't seem to be the one I've been waiting for. I mean it seems historically...nondescript and silly. Bhagwan and Bhimra as given names in ancient times? You've got zamindariya and stuff too, post Mughal. The whole...look is sort of wrong. It seems like a generic European middle age influenced idea of what ancient India was like. Hence terms like serfs being thrown around.
I agree, it's pretty stupid to see modern doctrines like gender equality, gay emancipation and shit in historical setting IMO.
The people should act like they normally did in that age, in either intellectual and moral aspects.
I want to see Vikings pillage and rape someone's wife and do what Vikings did in the past, not today's version of angry dwarves with horned helmets and shit.

That's why Darklands is so unique, immersive and enjoyable, while Titan Quest despite of its historical theme is pretty ridiculous and artificial IMO.
But I fear no company today will invest their men and money to create such a precise, believable history, so all we get now will be Hollywood version of the past.

And Why will the Indians mad? Aren't they should be glad that their culture is appreciated this way?
I'll surely be happy if my culture is made into proper CRPG IMO.

himmy

Arcane
Just...nowadays you don't even need to learn Sanskrit since so much stuff is in translation, you can easily get a good feel for the period.

Indian history hipster detected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom